Brennan Eagles taking a stand

TonyTexas

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This goes to what Tom said earlier this week:  you can't just love them and support them on Saturday and then write them off and disparage them Sunday-Friday - they deserve better. 

You dont think "Tom" and all the other coaches arent pandering to the athletes? esp, black athletes?  

He would be a better mentor and leader if he told them to grow up, grow a thick skin and dont be distracted from your ultimate goals.  Success is the best form of revenge.  We had to deal with this day in and day out in the military

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 20

2 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Upon what data will he decide if America is sufficiently not racist for him to play again?

I know you're doing drive-by zingers and I can't really blame you, but he's looking to be heard and feel like his concerns were validly considered. So what will probably happen is, he'll be on a small Committee of Concerned Athletes that get to meet with Hartzell and Milliken and teach them all the amazing things Eagles and crew know, and there will be a bunch of meaningless pandering concessions to the Committee, and then they'll all play. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

He would be a better mentor and leader if he told them to grow up, grow a thick skin and dont be distracted from your ultimate goals.

maybe, but after the players quit and his team collapsed and went 0-12 he'd be an out of work mentor and leader

and that work pays really, really well. plenty of people will line up to eat that particular Bag of Shit if Herman says "no no, this is a time for a principled stand against the mob". Jimbo Fisher's not telling his players "all lives matter!"

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't care if he plays or not. At this point I don't care if football comes back, because this is a fundamentally unserious country and you gotta him 'em where it hurts, so let's take sportsball away and see if that's enough to provoke some real change. The players refusing to play would certainly move us in that direction. 

Why do you assume that sports will go away?

I can't imagine a scenario where it just ends. It may look different and the skill level may drop, but not every player is going to quit. And enough athletes on the second tier, of all races, would LOVE to have the opportunity to get a free ride to a university for an education that they may not otherwise be able to get, and potentially have even a small chance to go on to the NFL.

On the pro side, it is one thing for Lebron James to decide to take a stand and completely quit for the cause. He's probably got $750M stashed away and his great great grandkids won't ever have to work. But what about the third team scrubs making league minimum that still have to pay a mortgage and college funds? They're not quitting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Upon what data will he decide if America is sufficiently not racist for him to play again?

You are not allowed to actually ask questions. You just have to agree, preferably while prostrating yourself in the name of wokeness mob.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

As a light skinned dude. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post an opinion.  Bravo Brennan stand for your feelings. Realize though you’re at Texas on a scholarship. You play ball in return you get the Texas brand. When you stop your end of the deal to join the rest of us common folk who have to go and qualify?  I dunno I doubt Texas has the stones to remove a black athlete scholly because he took a stand. So he likely won’t see the reprecussions  oF violating a contract.   Also everyone is replaceable in the world. Even if you’re a heisman contender.  Is there anyone outside of Texas that knows who he is?   Financially I doubt this will backfire some team will still take a flyer on him in the future simple to appease the social justice crowd and avoid a Kap situation.      Likely this is a type 1 overreaction thought in the moment and he’ll be back. He has the support of his team and staff 

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what happens if Alabama or LSU or tOSU starters start threatening this....Eagles is a nobody in the grand scheme of college football (to this point) and him quitting football won’t change anything unfortunately for him. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

I dont think so. It's an entitled athlete who wants people to tell him how wonderful he is for taking a politically correct stance. 

spacer.png

All races kill there own because it usually happens over confritation of your surroundings. And I can assure you those blacks killing blacks are going to jail for murder. Everyone is upset because cops kill and get paid leave or fired to go work in another PD. You are part of the problem. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

maybe, but after the players quit and his team collapsed and went 0-12 he'd be an out of work mentor and leader

That's not going to happen but... hypothetically, if players were to quit over outside influences they are unlikely to ultimately be successful anyway

The army has a good system (arguably the best in the world) but we also had to deal with incoming extremist (and most were not white) that would work their way through the system but, ultimately they were found out because they would eventually make a bad decision based on their beliefs.  

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 9

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Why do you assume that sports will go away?

I'm not assuming that. I'm saying a) I don't care if it does, and b) cynically speaking, if you really want people to pay attention and you really want things to change, you have to impact things they really care about. And in this country, we care about diversions an awful lot. 

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

As far as I’m concerned, Herman and UT seem to be handling this perfectly. 
Very proud. 

I'm not even in the realm of a Herman fan (total skeptic), but I'm a fan of how he is handling this. 

18 minutes ago, purplepride95 said:

All races kill there own because it usually happens over confritation of your surroundings. And I can assure you those blacks killing blacks are going to jail for murder. Everyone is upset because cops kill and get paid leave or fired to go work in another PD. You are part of the problem. 

A lot of assumptions in that poor response. 

1. no. blacks killing blacks are not going to jail. that's a huge problem in places like chicago. 

2. yes. if bad cops are passed on (not unlike bad teachers are passed to other school districts), then that is a bad situation but that rarely happens. If cops are shown to be bad and passed on, then I challenge you to find more than a couple of examples.  Bad decisions are a different matter altogether and, unless you are racially motivated, you have to admit that black cops make bad decisions as well. 

3. If injecting sanity is part of the problem, then the mob has taken control

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 17

38 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

I dont think so. It's an entitled athlete who wants people to tell him how wonderful he is for taking a politically correct stance. 

spacer.png

that's a fake graphic by the way, as usual

I believe Black Lives Matters is protesting this fact though,

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2020/05/mapping-police-killings-black-americans-200531105741757.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

How positive are we that Eagles won’t play? I read his statement a few times, it comes across as more of a “im not going to play with the same world outlook I had before” instead of a “im not going to play at all”.

Frankly, I’m not sure exactly what he’s trying to say. Hence my earlier question, what’s the endgame here?

12 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

1. no. blacks killing blacks are not going to jail. that's a huge problem in places like chicago. 

2. yes. if bad cops are passed on (not unlike bad teachers are passed to other school districts), then that is a bad situation but that rarely happens. If cops are shown to be bad and passed on, then I challenge you to find more than a couple of examples.  Bad decisions are a different matter altogether and, unless you are racially motivated, you have to admit that black cops make bad decisions as well. 

Please take your ignorant, misguided, views regarding systemic racism to the appropriate forum.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

1. Are you saying blacks are not getting prosecuted with video evidence?

2. Black cops neep to be prosecuted as well. The Black cop who killed that white lady in Minnesota was prosecuted and deserved it.

3. ???

13 minutes ago, pacman said:

that's a fake graphic by the way, as usu

I believe Black Lives Matters is protesting this fact though,

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2020/05/mapping-police-killings-black-americans-200531105741757.html

It's not a "fake graphic" but you would rather aljazeera perspective.  hahaha  

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 10

I don't know. Maybe people should practice some empathy and let the young man get his feelings out and pursue healthy options so he can feel he's doing what's best in his heart. Like his head coach is doing. Maybe do that instead of shouting at him that he's a misguided pawn and that maybe you'll validate his actions or thoughts if he first agrees to your principles and preconceived notions. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

spacer.png

Very nuanced interpretation of a complicated issue. Good job.

I predict you're not going to last very long around here. 

1 minute ago, purplepride95 said:

1. Are you saying blacks are not getting prosecuted with video evidence?

2. Black cops neep to be prosecuted as well. The Black cop who killed that white lady in Minnesota was prosecuted and deserved it.

3. ???

1. yes, some are but not nearly at the rate of violent crimes committed. 

2. yep but not always (and I'm not saying they should be. when you have a fraction of a second to make a decision, a mistake can be lethal) but you dont see it on main stream media 24/7

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

3 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I think having the courage of your convictions is beyond admirable. But I am curious what the endgame of “I’m not playing another snap with what’s going on in our society” is.

Concentrating on his education?

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't know. Maybe people should practice some empathy and let the young man get his feelings out and pursue healthy options so he can feel he's doing what's best in his heart. Like his head coach is doing. Maybe do that instead of shouting at him that he's a misguided pawn and maybe you'll validate his actions if he first agrees to your principles and preconceived notions. 

yes, we need to coddle athlete MORE. THEY put themselves out there and expect people to tell them how wonderful they are, even if they are misguided. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 11

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Frankly, I’m not sure exactly what he’s trying to say. Hence my earlier question, what’s the endgame here?

This is why I think he’ll end up playing. He’s mad and outraged about the state of the country right now, but it’s not like he provided a specific goal to achieve or a condition to come back. Plus, he talked about using his platform, but if he quits then he won’t have a platform anymore, so it doesn’t really make sense for him to quit based on the things he said in his own tweet. Once things calm down a bit, I’m sure people will talk to him more about this and explain that he’s only going to have a platform if he still plays, so he should focus on how to best use that platform instead of throw it away.  

Just now, Soldierhorn said:

yes, we need to coddle athlete MORE. THEY put themselves out there and expect people to tell them how wonderful they are, even if they are misguided. 

I highly doubt he's asking you to tell him how wonderful he is. He's letting you know he really doesn't give one fuck if you approve. 

And these children that you spit on

As they try to change their world

Are immune to your consultations

They're quite aware of what they're going through

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This is why I think he’ll end up playing. He’s mad and outraged about the state of the country right now, but it’s not like he provided a specific goal to achieve or a condition to come back. Plus, he talked about using his platform, but if he quits then he won’t have a platform anymore, so it doesn’t really make sense for him to quit based on the things he said in his own tweet. Once things calm down a bit, I’m sure people will talk to him more about this and explain that he’s only going to have a platform if he still plays, so he should focus on how to best use that platform instead of throw it away.  

I don't think he's gonna quit. I think he would sit. And I don't think Herman would kick him off the team for that. I would bet that Herman allows him to retain his platform while keeping him on the team, retaining his scholarship, and perhaps finding ways to amplify his platform. 

Still, I bet they sit down with him, find out what he and other players want to do, find a way to amplify their voices and find a way for them to make a meaningful contribution to the cause via the University of Texas' immense public platform, and then he'll feel better  and ultimately end up playing. That's my hope. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Count me in the group that doesn't understand what the result is that he is looking for.

No matter what race you are, the vast majority of the people in the country have to have some sort of profession in order to survive. He happens to be good at one that could potentially pay him very well and allow him to take care of his family and provide a platform where people will listen to him and read his tweets.

If he quits football, he will still need to go have another job, football will still be played.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud him making a stand, I am just completely unclear as to what that stand is and what him quitting football will achieve.

this is where I'm at. Would love for him and everyone else to take a stand. I'm just not sure what the immediate goal is here and how quitting football furthers it. Ending racism is a great goal, but I'm not sure it's going to just happen in the next 5, 10, 20 years. Would love to see some more short term political goals to be pushed for like ending qualified immunity, ending the drug war that results in more people of color than whites being arrested and taken from their families and ruining their future job prospects,  strengthening body camera rules and the right for bystanders to record police, etc

Still, even if I have questions about the strategy, it's a great goal and I'll support him either way.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think he's gonna quit. I think he would sit. And I don't think Herman would kick him off the team for that. I would bet that Herman allows him to retain his platform while keeping him on the team, retaining his scholarship, and perhaps finding ways to amplify his platform. 

Still, I bet they sit down with him, find out what he and other players want to do, find a way to amplify their voices and find a way for them to make a meaningful contribution to the cause via the University of Texas' immense public platform, and then he'll feel better  and ultimately end up playing. That's my hope. 

Agree. I think Herman, Carrington, et. al. will work with him to do this. If we had a coaching staff that approached this issue differently, I’d be more worried about him not playing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

spacer.png

you literally quote the source, which doesn't back the graph at all

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

it's fake

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That seems to be the case for every post he throws out. But his anger is fairly amusing. 

If that makes you feel better, go ahead and convince yourself.  

But, I'm not angry... not angry at all.  I EXPECT objection to common sense on a board mostly of liberals

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 15