Traffic Attorney - Live Oak County

Asking for a friend he/she got a speeding ticket in Live Oak County last Friday.  Is getting a traffic lawyer worth it?  Any recs in that area?  Driving over the 20mph so defensive driving is out of the question.  Plus also cited for driving in the left lane and not passing (bullshit money grab).  Friend would rather not get the points on their license.  Don't have a ton of money, so maybe paying the fine is the way to go.  Problem is, the insurance rates are already sky high, this will push them over the edge.  One lawyer quoted $1K plus court costs and no guarantee of anything.

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Ask for a deferred adjudication.

Yep. Can call the county/municipal clerk and ask for this and if they do it, they''ll probably tell you.  Have to pay the fine and court costs and maybe other dick fees, but no "conviction" if no other incidents in county or state (depends on how they want to word it) for six months or a year.

Most speed trap places do this because it maximizes their return.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

live oak county is about as crooked at they come in south texas

I still prefer that route instead of the corpus one to get to the valley from SA. Only go 77 if I’m actually going straight to harlingen. So much traffic in George West & three rivers the past few years, totally wipes out the “small town appeal”. Not sure why anyone with a choice would live there. 

But yeah, I make it a point to not speed until I’m well clear of both those towns. Not really people you’d ever want to deal with.

Just my experience,  I've requested 2 bench trials( visited with judge and had one deferred and another dismissed) and went with one of my sons who caused a wreck when he was still a minor to traffic court and the judge gave him community service.  There were lawyers in there on all 3 occasions representing their clients and asking the judges the same damned questions and getting the same offers.

No way would I dish out $1k for representation in such relatively minor offenses, that may still incur fines as part of their resolution.

Edited by Iceman

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 7:03 AM, Iceman said:

Just my experience,  I've requested 2 bench trials( visited with judge and had one deferred and another dismissed) and went with one of my sons who caused a wreck when he was still a minor to traffic court and the judge gave him community service.  There were lawyers in there on all 3 occasions representing their clients and asking the judges the same damned questions and getting the same offers.

No way would I dish out $1k for representation in such relatively minor offenses, that may still incur fines as part of their resolution.

You have requested 2 bench trials for speeding tickets in Live Oak County?