Confederate Armybrat

HenryJames

Hits close to home. The second Miz Long was a member of both DAR and DOC - I'm not sure she ever went to a meeting, not while we were together. DOC connection came from her grandfather, who was literally the proverbial little drummer boy, in the 33rd Alabama Infantry, Confederate Army. He ran away at 12 to join up, from Greenville, Alabama. His mama finally figured out what had happened and got another relative to go and bring him home. He was in his fifties when her father was born, and he was nearly fifty when she was born. 

15 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I am quite impressed that her father was still sending live rounds down range at the age of 83.

My deceased cousins father was in his late 70's when he was born, back in the hills of Tenn.  It was his second wife, a child bride.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

that's a long time to be on the govt tit 

true,

but if you read the article, this lady was mentally handicapped and getting a whopping $73 a month.  

Im guessing the pension amount was set by the government in the late 1860s or early 1870s with no nod to inflation- especially not 160 years of inflation

I knew personally two veterans of the Spanish American War.

One was a doctor who served in the US Army, the other an Army buck private who never made it out of the States.

The former was my grandparents’ family physician (can remember him giving me a shot in the late 1940s),the latter the town barber who gave me & my brothers haircuts during the summer in the mid-1950s.

My maternal great grandpa was born in 1822 and died in 1915. Mom remembered him pretty well, so that is almost 200 years of direct family memories. Adding on  the possibility that my youngest grandson could easily live to the 22nd century kinda boggles my mind even a little further. Four centuries in just 6 generations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

my assumption is that by child, you mean his own

Always interesting when pronouns get used.  My much older cousins father was in his 70's when he, and his child bride did the deed, and conceived my much older cousin.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I always wonder how many of these people are actually living. You frequently see stories of grandma being dead for a couple of years but deadbeat kids or grandkids still cashing the social security check.  I think the last one I saw was caught because the deceased would have been 114 or 115, in other words the oldest person in the world.  

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Always interesting when pronouns get used.  My much older cousins father was in his 70's when he, and his child bride did the deed, and conceived my much older cousin.

oh I understood the pronouns just fine, that was more of a geography joke

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I always wonder how many of these people are actually living. You frequently see stories of grandma being dead for a couple of years but deadbeat kids or grandkids still cashing the social security check.  I think the last one I saw was caught because the deceased would have been 114 or 115, in other words the oldest person in the world.  

shit man, its not just here. for many, many years the Japanese have been upheld  as the society with the most centenarians.  Like 2X the number of any other country. and thus their historical diet choices have become legend on how to live past 100

Meanwhile, several Japanese reporters started pulling census records to go visit all these 100+ year olds in various prefects (as a "whats the secret to a long life" story)  and it turned out many of them couldnt be found.   There were multiple incidents where an address was given where the 100+ year old had lived and the building no longer existed, it had been made into a park or another building and hadnt existed for 25, 30,40 YEARS.

They discovered Over 230,000 missing 100+ YO's, including  what would have been the oldest human in recorded history, someone who would have been 186 years old