Defund the Police

406W30th

Yeah, begging for sympathy is going to usually get you the very opposite.

Don't walk around so fucking uptight.   Laugh and be a part of your community.  Could have replied back, "At least all my screws aren't loose like this place..."

Nah...easier to whine.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Whiny fucking cunts.

This victim complex that so many police have is ridiculous. If the officer had any sense of humor or a part of him that was actually human he could've walked over and talked to the person who made the comment. They could've had a productive conversation about why the person said that to him. We all know why it was said, but you can diffuse a situation by being human. Cops, by and large, lack this component and it is why many of them who wind up shooting their fellow citizens do so without even thinking about it. Instead of looking at the people WHO PAY THEIR SALARY as an equal, they are looked at as being lesser than, this is especially so with minorities, but again we all know that as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This goes along with @HenryJames post regarding NYC a page ago. Watch the whole video if you've got one minute and twenty-two seconds. It's pretty good.

I used to work right there before the pandemic shut everything down. Times Square is a ghost town now, but I am going to go by there today or tomorrow to see that for myself. I am certain I will probably see 5 or 6 officers standing around on their phone like I normally do in Manhattan.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am cancelling Ace Hardware.

I am guessing they forgot to mention the part where the boss likely threatened the employee with the loss of their job if they didn't apologize for making such a mean and hateful comment to such an upstanding and respected police officer.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

LOL @ failure to disperse as the reason to arrest. Just come out and say that "The perp said something I did not like and I either had to shoot him on the spot or arrest him. Since he is white, and is obviously no threat to me because of that, I placed him in handcuffs." 

• Hook 'Em 1

This situation has been unfolding over the last 24 hours and since the DT thread is for nonpolitical discussion, I placed my comments here due to the arrest of the journalist. This was not an Andy Ngo instigator type reporter, but a local affiliate journalist who went to the hospital to cover the incident.

Back story: Two LA County sheriff's deputies were shot in the head by an unknown assailant while sitting in their patrol car. Video captured the armed suspect, still at large, walking up and opening fire through the open window of the vehicle.

The deputies were taken to the hospital and the reporter went to cover the news. This is a female reporter, I think there were seven officers? These men (oops, I think there is one female deputy) are out of control without thinking of their duty as sworn officers. The President calls citizens 'animals.' Journalists being targeted, we are so screwed. Edit to add: apparently the journalist did not have her credentials with her. Papers, people. You're going to need to carry your papers. That's our world now.

Video of the incident in case you missed it:

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:53 PM, HenryJames said:

This is not a typical case.

The State of New York has waived sovereign immunity.  But you do have 90 days to file a notice of claim or it's gone forever.  No jury trial. 

Most states have not waived sovereign immunity to the same extent.  So, fwiw, rogue police aren't costing the taxpayer money, as a general proposition, at least not through court judgments.

Edited by TwiceHorn

This is not a typical case.
The State of New York has waived sovereign immunity.  But you do have 90 days to file a notice of claim or it's gone forever.  No jury trial. 
Most states have not waived sovereign immunity to the same extent.  So, fwiw, rogue police aren't costing the taxpayer money, as a general proposition, at least not through court judgments.
Neither way is a good solution. Victims should have the ability to sue. However, that cost should not fall solely on the taxpayers.

I am normally a pro-union guy, but PDs have used their unions to shelter bad actors and remove disciplinary actions from state control. The union, along with union controlled assets such as pensions, should be the target of these lawsuits. This would also cause police to change their tactics very quickly. Currently, there are almost zero repercussions for police when they protect the worst among them. Exposing their collective nest egg will force the good and the silent to finally throw out the trash.
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/09/15/with-violent-crime-on-the-rise-in-mpls-city-council-asks-where-are-the-police

With violent crime on the rise in Mpls., City Council asks: Where are the police?

Brandt Williams

Minneapolis

September 15, 2020 6:10 p.m.

The meeting was slated as a Minneapolis City Council study session on police reform.

But for much of the two-hour meeting, council members told police Chief Medaria Arradondo that their constituents are seeing and hearing street racing which sometimes results in crashes, brazen daylight carjackings, robberies, assaults and shootings. And they asked Arradondo what the department is doing about it. 

"Residents are asking, ‘Where are the police’?” said Jamal Osman, newly elected council member of Ward 6.  He said he's already been inundated with complaints from residents that calls for police aren’t being answered.

“That is the only public safety option they have at the moment. MPD. They rely on MPD. And they are saying they are nowhere to be seen,” Osman said.

Just months after leading an effort that would have defunded the police department, City Council members at Tuesday’s work session pushed chief Medaria Arradondo to tell them how the department is responding to the violence.  

The number of reported violent crimes, like assaults, robberies and homicides are up compared to 2019, according to MPD crime data. More people have been killed in the city in the first nine months of 2020 than were slain in all of last year. Property crimes, like burglaries and auto thefts, are also up. Incidents of arson have increased 55 percent over the total at this point in 2019.

For his part, Arradondo told council members that the department has instituted several measures, including adding more officers to patrol and investigative duties and cracking down on robberies. 

But council members told Arradondo that residents are hearing a different message from officers. 

Council President Lisa Bender, who was among those leading the call to overhaul the department, suggested that officers were being defiant. Her constituents say officers on the street have admitted that they’re purposely not arresting people who are committing crimes.

“This is not new,” Bender said. “But it is very concerning in the current context.” 

Arradondo told Bender this was “troubling to hear,” and that he would raise that issue with commanders and the heads of each precinct. 

“We need to make sure that our communities know that we are going to be there,” said Arradondo. “That we’re going to be responsive. We’ve taken an oath to do that.”

Other council members said officers are telling residents that they are overworked and understaffed. 

Arradondo said around 100 officers have left the department or have taken leave since the beginning of 2020. That’s more than double the usual number of officers who either step down from the department or who are inactive each year.

Council members in wards which usually don’t see high levels of violence say their constituents are feeling “terrorized.” 

Jeremy Schroeder represents the 11th Ward, which covers a section of far south central Minneapolis. He said a recent spate of robberies of businesses at 48th Street and Chicago Avenue scared and frustrated residents and business owners.

Arradondo said the suspects are a group of high school students. He said beat officers were assigned to the area and were able to arrest the teenagers. Another group of juveniles has also committed carjackings in that area, Arradondo said.

“Arrests have been made,” he said. “There are still some pending charges. Both our juvenile units are pursuing those.”  

Much of the violence has been concentrated in neighborhoods on the city’s north side. Council member Phillipe Cunningham represents the 4th Ward, where a 17-year-old boy was shot and killed Monday afternoon. Cunningham said two of his constituents were also recently wounded by stray bullets while sitting in their home. 

Despite the uptick of crime in his ward, Cunningham, who supports the creation of a new community safety agency to replace the police department, said it’s particularly important now to start instituting some of those public health-based approaches to violence prevention. Recently, the council took more than $1 million from the police budget to hire “violence interrupters” to intervene and defuse potentially violent confrontations.

“If we have these systems in place we are getting ahead of the violence,” said Cunningham.  “That’s why I have advocated so strongly for the violence interrupters, because if they are interrupting the violence before the guns are being fired, then the MPD doesn’t have to respond to that violence.”

Cunningham also criticized some of his colleagues for seeming to waver on the promises they made earlier this year to transform the city’s public safety system. 

“What I am sort of flabbergasted by right now is colleagues, who a very short time ago were calling for abolition, are now suggesting we should be putting more resources and funding into MPD,” Cunningham said.

This overworked and understaffed excuse needs to be called out every single time it is uttered. This is what I see here in NYC over and over. I know others see the same thing here and in cities across the country. Their feelings got hurt and they cannot handle people not liking how they perform the job that WE PAY THEM TO DO. I am so glad I pay police to do this all day all over the city. I guess at least their phones keep them distracted enough to not be shooting unarmed black men and women.

1FECEA13-76F7-4CB5-AEDF-614EB4371146.jpeg

Edited by UpperWestside

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/12/obama-urges-activists-to-talk-reforming-not-defunding-the-police?mbid=social_twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_brand=vf&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter

“DO YOU WANT TO ACTUALLY GET SOMETHING DONE, OR DO YOU WANT TO FEEL GOOD?”: OBAMA URGES ACTIVISTS TO TALK REFORMING, NOT DEFUNDING, THE POLICE

You write about when you were a community organizer. And a lot of the folks in the communities you were dealing with really just cared about modest change. They want to do better for their families. If you’re a young activist today and you believe really passionately in a slogan, like Defund the Police, what is your advice to that activist? Knowing that a lot of politicians won’t go near that phrase, even if the nuts and bolts of the idea might be popular. 

It’s interesting. We take for granted that if you want people to buy your sneakers, that you’re going to market it to your audience, right? We take for granted that if a musician drops a record, that they’re going to try to reach certain audiences by speaking to folks where they are. It’s no different in terms of ideas, right? So if you believe, as I do, that we should be able to reform the criminal justice system so that it’s not biased and treats everybody fairly, I guess you can use a snappy slogan, like Defund the Police, but, you know, you lost a big audience the minute you say it, which makes it a lot less likely that you’re actually going to get the changes you want done. But if you instead say, Hey, you know what? Let’s reform the police department so that everybody’s being treated fairly. And not just in policing, but in sentencing, how can we divert young people from getting into crime? And if there was a homeless guy, can maybe we send a mental health worker there instead of an armed unit that could end up resulting in a tragedy? You know, suddenly a whole bunch of folks who might not otherwise listen to you are listening to you. So the key is deciding, do you want to actually get something done, or do you want to feel good among the people you already agree with? And if you want to get something done in a democracy, in a country as big and diverse as ours, then you’ve got to be able to meet people where they are. And play a game of addition and not subtraction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I agree with all of that except for her first sentence.  Obama does too, apparently.  Just change the god damn phrasing.  That's all ya gotta do.

I think the point is the phrasing is irrelevant because the goal of attacking structural racism in any concrete way makes white people uncomfortable and that was kind of the point in the first place. To get them to acknowledge a problem that is otherwise ignored.

Kapernick and BLM both got met with intense political opposition early for the same reasons. Sanitizing the phrasing to make the normies more comfortable kinda undermines the effort to address the problem. 

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think the point is the phrasing is irrelevant because the goal of attacking structural racism in any concrete way makes white people uncomfortable and that was kind of the point in the first place. To get them to acknowledge a problem that is otherwise ignored.

Kapernick and BLM both got met with intense political opposition early for the same reasons. Sanitizing the phrasing to make the normies more comfortable kinda undermines the effort to address the problem. 

no it doesn't.

Kap a failure you think? i don't think so.

there's opposition ya'll lets toss out an even more loaded slogan and see what happens. 

sounds good, maybe

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

"Police Reform" is the more traditional and politically safe way of saying - "Defund the Police."  It was always about reform, reimagining, and remodeling policing in the United States. 

"Defund the Police" was never the intention by most. Reform of the police was the call to action.

Unforced error to use "Defund" in my opinion considering the amount of low information citizens we have out there.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The outrage over the slogan is fake and always has been. It’s manipulative framing from right wing media that has people clutching pearls.  People need to be less triggered snowflakes and more empathetic. The slogan is not the problem.

Dude, the slogan IS the problem.  If they had come out from the beginning with Reform the Police, or something similar, centrists and center-right people probably wouldn't have freaked out.  Trumpkins, well nothing we can do there, but when you say DEFUND THE POLICE to the average person, they immediately think "holy shit, they want to abolish the police and have anarchy!"

It's shitty marketing and they should feel shitty that they came up with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The outrage over the slogan is fake and always has been. It’s manipulative framing from right wing media that has people clutching pearls.  People need to be less triggered snowflakes and more empathetic. The slogan is not the problem.

Yep.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If they had come out from the beginning with Reform the Police, or something similar, centrists and center-right people probably wouldn't have freaked out. 

Is that the goal?

It's shitty marketing and they should feel shitty that they came up with it.

Who is "they"? Be specific.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Y'all remember that time some black people said the words "black lives matter" and a bunch of centrists suddenly woke up and supported them?

Yeah I totally don’t have a Black Lives Matter sign in my front yard right fucking now 🙄