Defund the Police

406W30th

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, that sounds awesome.  Especially when a black guy drives through that community and is shot because he didn't pull over fast enough.

If you want to live in a private, gated community, then do so.  But as for the role of armed government agents, they owe their duty to respect constitutional rights to literally all citizens (see the 14th amendment).  So, you can have the Gestapo in Bastropo playing army, but when they pull over and beat the shit out of/shoot someone driving through from Houston or Austin, it becomes a Houston and Austin problem - and thus a Texas and USA problem.

My proposal actually allows for what you're talking about.  In my nice little West Austin hood, the "armed response" team actually isn't going to need to be deployed very often.  But they will come when needed.  If another part of town is more of a hotspot (say, Rundberg), then that team is going to spend more time over there.

The biggest "crime prevention" role of police is regular community patrolling.   That would and should be done under EVERY scenario you and I are talking about.

A black guy getting shot for not pulling over fast enough is never okay, in any situation, and should 100% of the time be prosecuted as murder. Full stop.

That said, not giving people the option to keep their police force as they have it now is a losing bet. It's literally the same problem that healthcare has. You are asking (or maybe forcing) people to lose their coverage they like and want for something that is (in their interests/desires) sub-par. It's a loser, in that it has never won. So let's sing all the kumbaya about how your proposal would be so amazingly utilitarian and ideal, but let's also be realistic about a) what a fallen and sinful world we live in (and in ALL the ways that sentence applies to all of us wicked idiots we call people) and b) what is politically realistic (which I admit is dynamic).

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

A black guy getting shot for not pulling over fast enough is never okay, in any situation, and should 100% of the time be prosecuted as murder. Full stop.

That said, not giving people the option to keep their police force as they have it now is a losing bet. It's literally the same problem that healthcare has. You are asking (or maybe forcing) people to lose their coverage they like and want for something that is (in their interests/desires) sub-par. It's a loser, in that it has never won. So let's sing all the kumbaya about how your proposal would be so amazingly utilitarian and ideal, but let's also be realistic about a) what a fallen and sinful world we live in (and in ALL the ways that sentence applies to all of us wicked idiots we call people) and b) what is politically realistic (which I admit is dynamic).

You want more security, pay for private security.  Gate your community.  If you want to go with the private/public dichotomy.

If I, Scared White Suburbanite, want security above and beyond what the State should provide, I should pay for it, and get it.  There are plenty of examples out there -- see any number of gated communities with private security.

But when you have armed agents of the state out there, and some of them are hoorah git some playing army, bad shit will fucking happen.  Always.  It's a guarantee.  Black guy driving through to go to a meeting is going to end up getting harassed, with the resulting increased risk of a violent outcome.

I don't give a fuck if you want the Gestapo with tanks patrolling the streets.  You don't get that.  That's not the role of a civilian police force, it is a recipe for violations of constitutional and criminal law.  Yes, I'm aware that we'll get resistance to this.  We also get resistance to funding poor schools, treating black people like human beings, all kinds of shit.  No policy, no matter how good, will get 100% support.  We don't need it.  We just need enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And that's what almost all of the "defund the police" arguments and approaches ARE saying.  Sure, there are radical voices saying "abolish all police, period," but there's not a single serious proposal out there to actually do so.  Don't be distracted by the noise from the fringe.  Pay attention to the actual policy proposals from the bulk of the movement.

We need to completely rethink how we create and dispatch resources to deal with problems.  That's just one part of the overall puzzle, but it's a big one.  Shit, think of just the huge waste of armed police resources when we send them to the scene of a break-in to spend 45 minutes writing reports and shit.  Why do we need an armed cop to do that?  That's just one example.

Let's have police perform three basic functions: 1) violent/ongoing crime interdiction (think armed response, etc.), 2) detective investigation of crimes after the fact, 3) community patrols by unarmed/lightly armed police who are an integral part of the community they patrol.  So much of the rest of what they do can be done by different types of entities and personnel.

Agree.  And I also disagree with Deblasio's fake defunding of the NYPD which did little more than shift school safety agents to the DoE budget.  Something I adamantly disagree with because the education budget is constantly under attack from republicans. At least that $350 million dollar bit of it counted as an NYPD line item.  Funding actually needs to be shifted from the NYPD to social services.

We have higher crime right now because we have all time high unemployment, live in a time of high anxiety, and have an increasing hunger issue.  It has nothing to do with the "defunding of police" that hasn't even actually occurred yet.  People need to wake up.  Both hungry stomachs and idle hands are approaching all time highs right now.  On their own, each of those equals higher crime.  Taken together, we are only on the cusp of a truly massive crime wave.  30% of Americans are behind on housing payments now.  A massive amount of Americans were unprepared to even go a single month unemployed.

We don't need police more than ever.  We need to make sure people keep a roof over their heads and food in their mouths more than ever.  For all the rhetoric of "rugged individualism" that conservatives spout, they don't really understand what that means.  If things are scarce, and I suddenly don't have the means to put food on the table for my family via conventional means, I am going to do whatever it takes in order to make sure they are fed.  Right now we are seeing that start to happen for a lot of people, and we are also seeing what happens when anxiety and hopelessness go on for too long.  Republicans understand only a small part of that which is why they want poor people to work through the virus and sacrifice their kids and grandparents.  However, people have had just about enough of that Louis XVI bullshit.  Instead, we could be a proper civilized society and quell that anxiety by letting people know that they never have to worry about being homeless or having enough to eat in this "land of the free" where we actually have more than enough housing and food available for everyone.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Even if you look at it through a strictly fiscal lens, we spend way too much fucking money on law enforcement and corrections.  Much of that money would serve the community better if it was put toward proactive endeavors like mental health, education, and social welfare rather than reactive endeavors like law enforcement and corrections.

It costs us $31,000 a year to house a prisoner, and this only considers corrections costs.  It does not consider the even more massive law enforcement costs associated with arresting the prisoner in the first place.

We have the only corrections system in the first world that intentionally encourages recidivism because we never want prison guards to lose their jobs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You want more security, pay for private security.  Gate your community.  If you want to go with the private/public dichotomy.

If I, Scared White Suburbanite, want security above and beyond what the State should provide, I should pay for it, and get it.  There are plenty of examples out there -- see any number of gated communities with private security.

But when you have armed agents of the state out there, and some of them are hoorah git some playing army, bad shit will fucking happen.  Always.  It's a guarantee.  Black guy driving through to go to a meeting is going to end up getting harassed, with the resulting increased risk of a violent outcome.

I don't give a fuck if you want the Gestapo with tanks patrolling the streets.  You don't get that.  That's not the role of a civilian police force, it is a recipe for violations of constitutional and criminal law.  Yes, I'm aware that we'll get resistance to this.  We also get resistance to funding poor schools, treating black people like human beings, all kinds of shit.  No policy, no matter how good, will get 100% support.  We don't need it.  We just need enough.

Fair enough, it sounds like you are at least aware of the political and (still) societal headwind to getting to where you propose from where we are today. The fact of the matter is the toothpaste is out of the tube with respect to police work and their appreciation/help to keep white flight a sound investment and it will take continuous radical movements like we've seen other the past months to get to a place where we even have something on a meaningful ballot to affect any real change. Good luck everyone!

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Fair enough, it sounds like you are at least aware of the political and (still) societal headwind to getting to where you propose from where we are today. The fact of the matter is the toothpaste is out of the tube with respect to police work and their appreciation/help to keep white flight a sound investment and it will take continuous radical movements like we've seen other the past months to get to a place where we even have something on a meaningful ballot to affect any real change. Good luck everyone!

Nobody should be operating under the illusion that changing entrenched shit is easy, and won't face massive resistance.

Not that long ago, it took this level of commitment just to desegregate fucking public schools:

5bd796d493c92.image.jpg?resize=1200,741

Policing in the US is a broken social system.  Just like public schools didn't need to go away, policing doesn't need to go away.  But it needs radical change.  That shit is hard.  So the fuck what?  We're supposed to be a country that doesn't shy away from tackling the hard shit, so let's nut up and do it.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nobody should be operating under the illusion that changing entrenched shit is easy, and won't face massive resistance.

Not that long ago, it took this level of commitment just to desegregate fucking public schools:

5bd796d493c92.image.jpg?resize=1200,741

Policing in the US is a broken social system.  Just like public schools didn't need to go away, policing doesn't need to go away.  But it needs radical change.  That shit is hard.  So the fuck what?  We're supposed to be a country that doesn't shy away from tackling the hard shit, so let's nut up and do it.

I think we are talking past each other on a fundamental point. Just because you make something a written rule or law, doesn't mean there aren't ways to subvert or get around it, and that will be the case for all time. You think there isn't segregation now? You think that people don't send their kids to private schools to segregate for poor kids? 

I see so, so, so many similarities between our broken school systems and the imbalance therein and what a defunded police policy would create. I don't think, at least from reading these boards, that a lot of people agree. I know I'm not a social science genius so I'm assuming that the lack of consensus or agreement with my thoughts means I'm wrong, but unfortunately your posts aren't doing much to enlighten me-- maybe I'm just beyond hope and one of the stupidest class of folks.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Just because you make something a written rule or law, doesn't mean there aren't ways to subvert or get around it, and that will be the case for all time. You think there isn't segregation now? You think that people don't send their kids to private schools to segregate for poor kids? 

Oh, I get that.

Society can't stop a bunch of people from being racist, segregationist assholes.  But we can damned well stop paying for it out of society's pocket.  You are free to open the Racist School of White Jesus, and fund it privately.  You are free to build a wall around your house and not let any minorities pass through.  You can choose to associate with only people of pure white blood in all of your personal affairs.  Go for it.  There's no way to legally "ban racism."

But none of that will be a function of the government, which is of and by all the people.

Will there be pain in the transition?  Anything resisted by those who are terrified of surrendering even a modicum of power will involve pain in the transition, because the powerful will hurt anyone and everyone in order to preserve their power.  That doesn't make the fight not worth fighting.  What it means is that the fight has to be fought to the finish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, I get that.

Society can't stop a bunch of people from being racist, segregationist assholes.  But we can damned well stop paying for it out of society's pocket.  You are free to open the Racist School of White Jesus, and fund it privately.  You are free to build a wall around your house and not let any minorities pass through.  You can choose to associate with only people of pure white blood in all of your personal affairs.  Go for it.  There's no way to legally "ban racism."

But none of that will be a function of the government, which is of and by all the people.

Will there be pain in the transition?  Anything resisted by those who are terrified of surrendering even a modicum of power will involve pain in the transition, because the powerful will hurt anyone and everyone in order to preserve their power.  That doesn't make the fight not worth fighting.  What it means is that the fight has to be fought to the finish.

Good stuff, and I agree mostly. Really interested in watching how this all plays out the next few years for sure. 

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Good stuff, and I agree mostly. Really interested in watching how this all plays out the next few years for sure. 

Biden wins and the media stops taking about it and the temperature gets lowered from a boil to a slight simmer. 
George Floyd was a democratic problem in a democratic city in a democratic state run by a black police chief. If Obama was still president it would be like the guy that got killed in Baltimore or New York for selling cigarettes. The I can’t breathe guy I don’t see being really all that different than Floyd, they both were in the middle of committing penny ante bullshit crimes when the long dick of the law literally choked the life out of them. That riled things up a little before things went away.

Am I being overly cynical? Maybe, but that’s where I’d put my money if called to make a bet. 
People are anxious because of the ‘Rona and fed up because Trump is a dickhead lacking in any social graces  get a vaccine and elect Biden and this all goes away as a national issue/crisis, I think  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Biden wins and the media stops taking about it and the temperature gets lowered from a boil to a slight simmer. 
George Floyd was a democratic problem in a democratic city in a democratic state run by a black police chief. If Obama was still president it would be like the guy that got killed in Baltimore or New York for selling cigarettes. The I can’t breathe guy I don’t see being really all that different than Floyd, they both were in the middle of committing penny ante bullshit crimes when the long dick of the law literally choked the life out of them. That riled things up a little before things went away.

Am I being overly cynical? Maybe, but that’s where I’d put my money if called to make a bet. 
People are anxious because of the ‘Rona and fed up because Trump is a dickhead lacking in any social graces  get a vaccine and elect Biden and this all goes away as a national issue/crisis, I think  

I don't agree, just putting a cover over the problem isn't gonna solve it. Unless what you mean is he's gonna solve it.

Edited by workswithseed

53 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't agree, just putting a cover over the problem isn't gonna solve it. Unless what you mean is he's gonna solve it.

No. I mean the problem won’t get solved, nor fixed, but will go back to being ignored.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Police unions are too powerful. They need to be broken. 

Yeah, but that goes back to my prediction. I’m not making a value judgment of any kind, I’m making a prediction that a Biden presidency ends all real reform efforts as the media won’t have it as top of the news type stories. 

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This alternate reality y'all are in where the Trump administration giving the green light to police departments to abuse citizens by ending/neutering consent decrees never happened must be a lovely place this time of year. 

You are a numbers guy. Have the numbers changed in any appreciable way since whatever you are talking about happening actually happened?  That’s not pissy I have no idea what you are talking about. I’ve been pretty checked out since Trump

won the nomination. Pretty disgusting and disheartening to me since then and I promise I have more productive things to do with my life than watching the clown show. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are a numbers guy. Have the numbers changed in any appreciable way since whatever you are talking about happening actually happened?  That’s not pissy I have no idea what you are talking about. I’ve been pretty checked out since Trump

won the nomination. Pretty disgusting and disheartening to me since then and I promise I have more productive things to do with my life than watching the clown show. 

He's talking about this.

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The point is that this theory that a Biden administration wouldn't do anything about it is absurd. Biden absolutely loves being linked with Obama and things that the Obama administration was doing that Trump's administration undid that would be popular for Biden to reenact are the most ironclad locks for things Biden would do if elected. 

Discussing whether it gets done for altruistic reasons may be interesting for some, I guess, but acting like Biden won't jump all over this issue to differentiate himself from Trump is silly. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Ha, I will be amazed on the day you discuss something policy related and actually know what you're talking about. 

What the fuck are you on about? Can you stop dribbling on yourself and make some god dammed sense.

Edited by workswithseed

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The point is that this theory that a Biden administration wouldn't do anything about it is absurd. Biden absolutely loves being linked with Obama and things that the Obama administration was doing that Trump's administration undid that would be popular for Biden to reenact are the most ironclad locks for things Biden would do if elected. 

Discussing whether it gets done for altruistic reasons may be interesting for some, I guess, but acting like Biden won't jump all over this issue to differentiate himself from Trump is silly. 

Let me be really specific- I don’t mean to say he won’t do anything. I’m sure there will be shit at the margins messed around with, a big production will be made out of it, nothing will materially change, and it won’t be a front burner issue. They will do their version of flying a mission accomplished banner after some action is taken that’s insignificant to fixing the problem. 

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

What the fuck are you on about? Can you stop dribbling on yourself and make some god dammed sense.

It's not my job to make you less of an idiot. I mentioned consent decrees, why don't you start by googling that? Maybe mix in a few terms like "Trump administration" or "Sessions memo" while you're at it. I'm making plenty of sense, but I can't understand it for you. Do your own research. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not my job to make you less of an idiot. I mentioned consent decrees, why don't you start by googling that? Maybe mix in a few terms like "Trump administration" or "Sessions memo" while you're at it. I'm making plenty of sense, but I can't understand it for you. Do your own research. 

Escriva?

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm assuming also a reference to this:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/us/politics/sessions-limits-consent-decrees.html

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions has drastically limited the ability of federal law enforcement officials to use court-enforced agreements to overhaul local police departments accused of abuses and civil rights violations, the Justice Department announced on Thursday.

In a major last-minute act, Mr. Sessions signed a memorandum on Wednesday before President Trump fired him sharply curtailing the use of so-called consent decrees, court-approved deals between the Justice Department and local governments that create a road map of changes for law enforcement and other institutions.

The move means that the decrees, used aggressively by Obama-era Justice Department officials to fight police abuses, will be more difficult to enact. Mr. Sessions had signaled he would pull back on their use soon after he took office when he ordered a review of the existing agreements, including with police departments in Baltimore, Chicago and Ferguson, Mo., enacted amid a national outcry over the deaths of black men at the hands of officers.

What I like about the defend the police movement is that it, at best, may help neuter or break the police unions which are out of control wrt political power, and at worst, forces police depts to quit spending money on ridiculous elaborate toys and endless pay raises which often seem to exceed labor market conditions. 

Many of those who oppose "defunding" efforts are painting it as the complete abolition of police forces and are relying on fear mongering disimgenuous nonsense. 

We've seen record low crime numbers in many major cities and across the country over the past decade, and trending that way for even longer. The police would have you believe that it's because they prevent crime, and so they need more officers, more toys, higher pay to continue keeping us safe.

I believe that police don't actually prevent crime, they record crimes through their arrests and paperwork. And so if crime is truly down, it's not because they are thwarting a bunch of possible crimes. They either aren't needed at the same levels as before, or they aren't doing their job to arrest offenders and record crime numbers, so we need to cut their budget and find a better way because we're wasting our money. 

I'd like to rethink policing to include a much larger administrative unarmed (and lower paid) force that takes reports when some dumbshit leaves their car unlocked and it gets "broken into", more spending on community policing walk-the-streets beat type of support, and drastic cuts to the militarized Rambo SWAT type forces. Like any civil servant those Rambo guys have to constantly find ways to justify next year's budget, because it's a use it or lose it approach, and if crime is down, then... you have armies of officers doing dangerous SWAT raids on penny ante dope pushers. Fuck that. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, F250 said:

I had a friend with one get popped by the cops twice despite having one of those stickers. He bitched about the donation being a waste of money because everytime he pointed it out the cops DNGAF. Granted, he blew a .15 BAL one time and the speeding ticket was for him doing 90 MPH on the highway.

It'd be cooler if it was at the same time and he had a MOVE BITCH sticker:

I'm doin' a hundred on the highway
So if you do the speed limit, get the fuck outta my way
I'm D.U.I. hardly ever caught sober
And you about to get ran the fuck over

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just good cops, doing their job as heroic public servants and defenders of the people and the Constitution.

This might be better question for someone else, but since all lawyers know everything I'll ask you. I know that Yakima is res, but with a simple search I'm not seeing if that makes the whole county res. So is Selah under native jurisdiction? I'm seeing it was incorporated in 1919, but doesn't really answer my question.

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

This might be better question for someone else, but since all lawyers know everything I'll ask you. I know that Yakima is res, but with a simple search I'm not seeing if that makes the whole county res. So is Selah under native jurisdiction? I'm seeing it was incorporated in 1919, but doesn't really answer my question.

My knowledge of tribal law overlap is.....probably even less than yours.  Not something we deal with much here in Texas.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My knowledge of tribal law overlap is.....probably even less than yours.  Not something we deal with much here in Texas.

I remember being 5 or something, and my family went through Oklahoma. My parents told me we were Indian territory, which I therefore thought of teepees. I was very sad that I didn't see teepees.

For Austin peeps, Ken Casaday’s dumb, fat, steroid taking, double chin having, snowflake ass was just on FOX doing the woe is me routine over Jose Garza. “People hate us, how can we enforce anything, blah blah suck my dick etc... I need hero worship, please treat us like we’re honorable. I wish I was a firefighter. Please let me arrest druggies”

Those were his EXACT words

• 2 weeks later...

That's impressive, seriously. It completely takes me by surprise when someone has some thread of principled consistency in their beliefs these days, particularly someone who's previously  been anointed an icon for one of the two "sides" in modern politics. 

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't an endorsement of his views, but I can see some consistency there. Disclaimer: this is a standard internet post based on supposition of the full contents because I didn't watch the video yet. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Boy, sure seems to be a whole bushel of “bad apples” lately.

Somebody please keep us apprised of what happens to this piece of human shit.  I have to admit I'm morbidly curious to see how his Union defends him from termination.  Murder three innocent black men for no reason?  We got your back.  But we'll be goddamned if you're gonna have photos of a 17 year old swimsuit model.  

Guy should do really well in federal prison for 20 years.  A senior officer and a pedophile?  Yeah, we figure they both cancel each other out so we're just gonna place you in general population...good luck.  

Sr. Cpl. Daniel Collins (walking downstairs at Police HQ to the IT department):  "Hey nerd, I need you to fix my computer." 

Police IT guy:  "Uh, I'm not gonna find any kiddie porn on here am I Corporal?" 

Collins:  "No, asshole!  That's why I need you to fix it."  

/AJ

Defund the Police is the dumbest idea in the big box of dumb ideas or ideas that are counter-intuitive to integration and inclusion/diversity. Literally no other issue has the biggest impact on driving white flight, as this will also directly impacting schools.

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Explain what you think Defund the Police means.

Killing the suburbs, obviously.  And founding ISIS.   Those sound about right.

I mean, we KNOW it doesn't mean "maybe give a bunch of jobs that the police are doing to entities and people better qualified to do them, and less likely to create a dangerous power dynamic situation."  Nope.  Can't mean that.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Defund the Police is the dumbest idea in the big box of dumb ideas or ideas that are counter-intuitive to integration and inclusion/diversity. Literally no other issue has the biggest impact on driving white flight, as this will also directly impacting schools.

You simply do not understand the phrase beyond the bumper sticker.  Try to learn what it means and be less reactive.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Killing the suburbs, obviously.  And founding ISIS.   Those sound about right.

I mean, we KNOW it doesn't mean "maybe give a bunch of jobs that the police are doing to entities and people better qualified to do them, and less likely to create a dangerous power dynamic situation."  Nope.  Can't mean that.

The amount of intentionally stupid people we share a country with is astounding.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The amount of intentionally stupid people we share a country with is astounding.

I think intentionally stupid people cancel each other out.  The real issue is what I would call intentionally disengaged people.  I've got a good number of new neighbors with small kids, and I've been kind of astounded by the number of people who simply don't have a dog in the Trump fight.  I was speaking to a person who I thought would be the closest person on our block to being a progressive on our block (psychologist, wife is a nurse, non-religious), and I was getting an affable "I don't know if I can bring myself to vote for Biden" response to my not so veiled sentiment that Trump was Lucifer.

41 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You simply do not understand the phrase beyond the bumper sticker.  Try to learn what it means and be less reactive.  

You are correct.  It's still a dumb phrase, I believe, politically.  I'll gladly change my tune if the Dems sweep the Repubs this fall, but I think the phrase hurts more than it helps.