University Coop struggling

RD3

https://www.statesman.com/business/aims-remake-itself-after-challenging-times/oj2pGDNTu5JGEJdSLFdH5L/

No surprise. They grew too fast after the national title and now having to cut back due to the fact that we have sucked and how e-commerce (and Amazon) have impacted brick & mortar retail.

It looks like they are closing all their stores except the one on the Drag.  Makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is how much they paid their CEO, George Mitchell. Dude got paid $3MM over a 4 year period?  It's a non-profit and their revenue doesn't warrant that. That is on the Board and Mitchell. They should be ashamed.

Probably doesn't help either that the text market has crashed.  People nowadays either use stuff their prof e-loaded in a packet, or use Amazon etc. rental/return service.

Spoiler:

O/U on # posts before the statues are mentioned in some way:  5

Edited by phdhorn

Yeah, e-texts, from wherever available, are going to make life quite difficult for the Co-Op.  Are engineering texts commonly available as e-books?  I assume so, but don't know.  They were among the most expensive undergrad texts and seemed only available at the Co-Op.  Of course, Texas Textbooks and Bevos are ghandi now, aren't they?

Also, they were the only game in town for law books back in the day, I believe.  And now  http://store.westacademic.com/

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 4/14/2018 at 6:20 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, e-texts, from wherever available, are going to make life quite difficult for the Co-Op.  Are engineering texts commonly available as e-books?  I assume so, but don't know.  They were among the most expensive undergrad texts and seemed only available at the Co-Op.  Of course, Texas Textbooks and Bevos are ghandi now, aren't they?

Also, they were the only game in town for law books back in the day, I believe.  And now  http://store.westacademic.com/

Jesus, how long since you’ve been on the drag?

On 4/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

If I was a prof today, I’d e-publish my own texts and require my student to pay for a semester subscription. 

Well that's pretty much what the profs did back in the day.  Publish a book and then require it as part of their class.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

was george mitchell responsible for the statues?

No doubt that George Mitchell ok'ed the statues.

I reached out to the Coop about getting $50 in gift cards for a non-profit silent auction and the email chain went all the way up to him for approval.  $50.  Yeah, he approved the statues.

Good idea to put the anti-theft device on that shirt.  Where did you find this?  

I always thought that not stocking somewhat decent looking apparel that an adult would wear was just a horrible idea. Sure! I’m done with school, but I still used to check out the co-op pretty regularly. When you do find something simple and not gaudy looking the quality is absolute shit. “But Hey! It’s a Dry-Fit!”

Yeah, and it looks like that flimsy little piece of cleaning cloth that I get with a new pair of sunglasses. I assume that dry-fit style of apparel must be a lot cheaper to manufacture. That shit has taken over like the plague.

You would rather have a cotton golf shirt that weighs twice as much when you sweat vs. a performance fabric that wicks away moisture?

Also, cotton golf shirts look like ass in under 10 washes.  Performance fabrics look new for years.  Not to mention the non-shrinking factor. 

13 hours ago, markstanco said:

You would rather have a cotton golf shirt that weighs twice as much when you sweat vs. a performance fabric that wicks away moisture?

Also, cotton golf shirts look like ass in under 10 washes.  Performance fabrics look new for years.  Not to mention the non-shrinking factor. 

Those synthetic fabrics look and feel awful. I don’t sweat enough for their only benefit to be worth it.