Trump Donations From Pluckers Co-Founder in 2016 Resurface on Twitter and People Are Mad

Mappable

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, a single, relatively small contribution four years ago can be categorized as a mistake.  Even if it was the max contribution to an individual candidate for that year.

Not like he kept it up or gave $25k or $250k to Trump PACs over the last several years to the present.

2 donations for 5k+ if i saw correctly. if one was while he was running, then it was maxed out. not 250k but not nothing. 

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, a single, relatively small contribution four years ago can be categorized as a mistake.  Even if it was the max contribution to an individual candidate for that year.

the mistake argument only works for me if the person to whom it is being applied has since wholly, vocally, and consistently rejected Trump and every single one of his Republican enablers and sycophants and is now actively working to remove them.  

otherwise, fuck ‘em, and I’ll do my part, however small it may be, to not support them in any way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

weird delayed dp

Edited by Jack Straw

10 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

the mistake argument only works for me if the person to whom it is being applied has since wholly, vocally, and consistently rejected Trump and every single one of his Republican enablers and sycophants and is now actively working to remove them.  

otherwise, fuck ‘em, and I’ll do my part, however small it may be, to not support them in any way. 

it sounds like the initial mistake was not coming out vocally as standing with the protestors. then somebody got curious. 

i generally think business doxxing as it relates to contributions can be a little dicey - as we saw, some big chains donate to everyone for tax (and other) purposes. 

but this shit is public and people know it, so now you gotta wear it. 

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Actually, in America if you want change the way to get it to to attack the corporate masters of the politicians. Now some local Texas chicken wing guy isn't exactly the head of the snake, but start attacking the head of larger donor corporations, attacking their supply chain, etc. and consistent disruption of their revenue. Make the heads of corporate America feel fear for their lives and business and they'll start listening. 

Worked for coal miners almost 100 years ago and many other groups throughout American history. 

Nah, this ain't coal mines, this is mostly (not all, mind you) a bunch of keyboard warriors as addicted to outrage as the ex-cop meathead up at Hyde Park Gym is to his duffle bag full of gear.

Most of this is just poo flinging and shit's getting everywhere, even on the flingers.

Guest Lobo
11 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I thought money wasn't speech.

You're right, it's much more important.  

Anxious to see if they respond any more. A private company can decide to ignore and hope there is minimal customer impact. Or they could opt to say that he's stepping aside to not distract from the restaurant's re-openings from COVID-19. 

Personally I think a statement that indicates they disagree with Trump's handling of this situation, along with a sizable donation to some charity, would have the greatest positive impact.

But then again, maybe this guy thinks Trump has done a great job.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anxious to see if they respond any more. A private company can decide to ignore and hope there is minimal customer impact. Or they could opt to say that he's stepping aside to not distract from the restaurant's re-openings from COVID-19. 

Personally I think a statement that indicates they disagree with Trump's handling of this situation, along with a sizable donation to some charity, would have the greatest positive impact.

But then again, maybe this guy thinks Trump has done a great job.

maybe go do some free catering to protests in their cities. kind of a no-brainer. 

59 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I guess I just don’t care about the political campaign contributions of a guy who runs a wing restaurant.

That said I can grub on some bakers gold anytime. Sorry I’m not sorry.

This is where I am. I imagine I could find a reason to boycott every business if I searched for it. I’m only concerned with their product.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This is where I am. I imagine I could find a reason to boycott every business if I searched for it. I’m only concerned with their product.

Correct. 
And don’t get me wrong there are obviously  certain lines that simply are unacceptable. If pluckers was tweeting “all lives matter” then I prolly would say no thanks. But a campaign contribution to the Republican candidate for president doesn’t surprise me and isn’t that line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

original opened summer 95 i believe. i was roommates and pledge brothers with sean, and i painted the original mural on the wall and got free pluckers for a few months as payment. 

this development will be interesting to watch unfold...

99 was when I was hired. Worked there all summer. It was their only location but as I said- they were looking to franchise. Didn’t know they’d been around that long. 

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This makes sense but if a company (or founders or other top employees) are involved with a cause I dislike, it doesn't bother me to go elsewhere. I don't go searching for the info but if it's put in front of me, I might act on it. I prefer to act on some level of facts and not just FB rumors. This looks pretty solid especially since it has the restaurant name on the forms. 

FYI, he's an idiot for putting the company name on the contribution form. If you leave it blank, I doubt anyone cares. Plead ignorance if it becomes an issue.

Trump is different than any other candidate though. He’s one of the most reprehensible people I’ve ever seen in this country, even before 2016. I’m not saying I’d boycott any place that gave him money but it’s worse to me than giving to any other republican candidate who I may just not agree with on healthcare or abortion. 

Do we know if he gave to Cruz or Patrick? Then I’d say loot them and burn them all to the ground. 

Guest Lobo
20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

maybe go do some free catering to protests in their cities. kind of a no-brainer. 

Yep, I knew a guy that owned a somewhat similar type of chain of chicken places in New Mexico.  He would regularly bring free food, in large quantities, to police who were involved with protecting the public during tumultuous times.  His politics, too, were something of a head scratcher.  Haven't heard about him in some time though.  

In response to the tweet, people have been expressing their disappointment and dismay to the point where Pluckers was trending on Twitter locally. Many have vowed to go to get chicken wings from other restaurants instead, and others offered restaurant recommendations, especially of black-owned restaurants such as The Rolling Rooster and Gossip Shack.

Or maybe, quit eating at greazy-ass wing joints altogether, maybe try something green, see if it kills them.

Hail Satan, it is done. Well, thanks for coming, everyone. Brother Jason was kind enough to furnish this week's food. It's Chick-fil-A. I know, they're on the Christian right, but darned if that chicken isn't good. I think the Dark Lord would understand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's particularly eloquent speech.

Very direct, and full of color. It can be on paper or digital. It has many references to great presidents, and of people who wanted freedom. It even declares that we should trust in God. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mappable said:

https://austin.eater.com/2020/6/5/21281623/pluckers-trump-donations-twitter-viral

People are not very happy with Austin-based chicken wing restaurant chain Pluckers after finding out that one of its co-founders donated to the Trump presidential campaign in 2016.

A Twitter user posted a screenshot of one of co-founder Mark Greenberg’s donations to Trump in 2016, alongside text that read: “In case y’all are wondering why @pluckers is so quiet,” referring to the fact that, at that point on the evening of Wednesday, June 3, the chicken wing company hadn’t shared any messages of solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement or the protests, which began late last week, unlike other restaurants and companies.

In response to the tweet, people have been expressing their disappointment and dismay to the point where Pluckers was trending on Twitter locally. Many have vowed to go to get chicken wings from other restaurants instead, and others offered restaurant recommendations, especially of black-owned restaurants such as The Rolling Rooster and Gossip Shack.

A day after the tweet, Pluckers posted a message to its social media accounts on the afternoon of Thursday, June 4. It wrote that George Floyd’s death in police custody was “painful to watch” and “an unnecessary example of excessive force and the cruel nature of abusive police officers.” The company noted that it tries “to be a safe haven” for everyone and that it treats its employees “with blindness to color, religion, gender, or sexual preference.”

Donating to the Trump campaign, in 2016 no less, is not a reason to "cancel" anybody.  Think less of them if you want and don't go to their restaurant, but the Greenbergs are good people.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Even so, it's not as if he has been a sustained supporter of Trump.

I'd think a lot worse of someone that continued donations past 2017, for example.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

The only thing I've ever likes there is the fried pickle spears. Those are far superior to the pickle chips.

The last 4-5 times I've had to go there because the group I'm with wanted it I got a basket of pickle spears and some blue moon. Their chicken and sauces suck.

Also, about 3-4 years ago they had a promotion for a while where on every full moon night the large mugs of blue moon were $4. That got me there at the bar during a game a few times. 

Used to go to the original location all the time when I was in school. Loved the fried pickles and fries. Never got the hype about the wings. There's so many places that do it better. Once you've had KFC(korean fried chicken) it's pretty hard to eat anything else. 

22 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Can I say this hits close to home if lives in my neighborhood?

Don't know shit about him, my younger son has played against one of his kids in various sports over the years. If he is a Trumper then he should deal with any outcome of that choice, not sure penalizing a bunch of cooks/waiters etc trying to make a living does that. (although I guess they can go somewhere else to work)

My kid played on a little league baseball team that Mark coached.  After that, I vowed that I would never go to Plucker's ever again.  He's that kind of nightmare asshole that you never want as a little league coach--shouts at the players, gets pissed at the umpires, only lets his kid pitch. 

So funny thing about that season--I'm sitting in the stands and hear behind me two moms chatting about the good ol' days at Highland Park HS.  Of course, Mark's wife is one of them.  She was a year ahead of me.  God, what an insufferable twat.

So the rest of the season, those two sat together happily chatting about dear old High Park High.  Fuck me.  Can you imagine peaking in high school like that?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Can you imagine peaking in high school like that?

Most Americans who have attended a predominately white suburban high school are familiar with the type, yes. Upon graduation, we try and avoid them in the wild ,but as you've discovered, they do tend to pop up whenever one is trying to enjoy life or get something accomplished.

• Like 1