Tom Herman Says There is a Double Standard in College Football

Vic Mackey

27 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

He’s not wrong. I’m proud of the message the program has put out during this time of tragedy. I’m especially proud to be a Longhorn fan that also happens to be black. 

America isn’t perfect, and we got a lot of shit to fix that will take the generations behind us to solve, but dammit I wouldn’t want to be born or raised anywhere else. 

It's good you can keep that sentiment alive.  There's hope yet for us.

31 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

America isn’t perfect, and we got a lot of shit to fix that will take the generations behind us to solve, but dammit I wouldn’t want to be born or raised anywhere else. 

Thank you for that. Too many people think criticism of this country means someone doesn't love it. Hell, my favorite day trip is Guilford County Courthouse, site of one of the more important battles of the Revolutionary War. The fact that I think our criminal justice system is rife with institutionalized racism doesn't mean I don't have a ton of love for what this country is all about.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

He’s not wrong. I’m proud of the message the program has put out during this time of tragedy. I’m especially proud to be a Longhorn fan that also happens to be black. 

Go Army!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Iceman said:

Can't wait to hear Art Briles' rebuttal...

"I wouldn't want them dating your daughter, but if they can ball out, I have no problem with them raping your daughter."  -Art Briles

Edited by Deej
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

His words are nice but is he putting his money where his mouth is?

I think Tom will based on his past actions during rough times. He donated money as well as volunteered for food shelters to help fight against hard times from Covid-19. 

2 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

His words are nice but is he putting his money where his mouth is?

Fuck yes he is.  Volunteering, a brilliant voice in shitty times, standing with his black athletes. If there is anyone I want for the face of Texas Football right now, he is it. There is no one who has said and done more, including black coaches. The silence on Brennan Eagles, and letting Brennan have his platform with no dismissal or tisk-tisks is refreshing. 

CHIEF

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Fuck yes he is.  Volunteering, a brilliant voice in shitty times, standing with his black athletes. If there is anyone I want for the face of Texas Football right now, he is it. There is no one who has said and done more, including black coaches. The silence on Brennan Eagles, and letting Brennan have his platform with no dismissal or tisk-tisks is refreshing. 

CHIEF

Good on you for having the patience to reply to such a dumbass post from Clinton.

But, but how do we know he’s nice to others and when is it ok not to be scared. What if life’s not fair....I read players hate him. We need sports to start, we need fb and shitty referees to hate pronto.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, USMCHorn said:

What many Americans fail to understand is that there are plenty of people who visit America and come away thinking that they are glad to have been born and raised somewhere else.

And that's OK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

What many Americans fail to understand is that there are plenty of people who visit America and come away thinking that they are glad to have been born and raised somewhere else.

And that's OK.

Absolutely, I was definitely speaking from my perspective and my perspective only.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

And that's OK.

And many think that because their home country isn't the melting pot the US is.  They like getting back in their comfort zone where they don't have to deal with cultures merging together.

• Like 2

Herman is entirely accurate that there is a double standard in college football but it resides in how he and his staff are compensated compared to how the players are compensated.  This quote sounds exactly like something IR at an S&P 500 company would release right now.  The narcissism it must take to lecture the fans while he makes $7 million a year off of the unpaid labor of an overwhelmingly black workforce. 

In terms of putting your money where your mouth is as suggested above, Tom should suggest that all college football staffs will contribute 50% of their annual compensation to a fund that will be distributed to the student athletes.        

Nothing is meaningfully changing in this country unless and until a significant portion of the resources of the 1% like Tom are used to create a greatly expanded and racially diverse middle class.  His self-serving hectoring of football fans isn't going to change shit.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Herman is entirely accurate that there is a double standard in college football but it resides in how he and his staff are compensated compared to how the players are compensated.  This quote sounds exactly like something IR at an S&P 500 company would release right now.  The narcissism it must take to lecture the fans while he makes $7 million a year off of the unpaid labor of an overwhelmingly black workforce. 

In terms of putting your money where your mouth is as suggested above, Tom should suggest that all college football staffs will contribute 50% of their annual compensation to a fund that will be distributed to the student athletes.        

Nothing is meaningfully changing in this country unless and until a significant portion of the resources of the 1% like Tom are used to create a greatly expanded and racially diverse middle class.  His self-serving hectoring of football fans isn't going to change shit.  

jfc. Without college athletics the chances for a lot of minority students to get an education at a top notch university would be nil. Now I agree that paying $7M is ridiculous, but let's not pretend the players aren't benefiting from the current system.

Many of those minority student athletes also don't graduate from the "top notch" university or do so with a meaningless degree.  The primary beneficiaries of football and basketball programs are the other sports that rely on football and basketball revenue to function and the wallets of the coaches.

46 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Look I get that Herman can be unlikeable on a personal level, but calling what he's doing narcissism when you look at what he's doing while guys like Swinney and Ferentz ignore or actively work against their players having a voice is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 6

I think it’s great that he’s doing the right thing, whatever the reason. It seems like a win, win, win solution. The players are supported in expressing themselves, hopefully the broader culture is improved, and this has to be good for the long term success of the program - even the Eagles thing. Surely this level of support will sell well in recruiting. I know that isn’t the point, but it seems like a good bonus.

49 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

jfc. Without college athletics the chances for a lot of minority students to get an education at a top notch university would be nil. Now I agree that paying $7M is ridiculous, but let's not pretend the players aren't benefiting from the current system.

I disagree. A lot of the athletes go there for athletics only and school is secondary. They aren't there networking and building the skills needed for after college. They take the easiest degrees they can get and many of them get tutored and put in half ass effort. Let's not pretend they are there for school first and athletics second. Only a tiny fraction are even drafted to go pro. They are left with a pretty subpar degree and really didn't learn much. The universities benefit much more in this system than the players do in terms of the ones that do not go pro, which is over 99% of them.

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

I would love to see the results of a comprehensive study that evaluates the post-college income of black college football players who don't play professional football compared to other students.  

Just compared to "other students" is a bit disingenuous. You'd need to control for a whole bunch of other factors given that they're usually not starting at the same academic level as a standard student.

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

And many think that because their home country isn't the melting pot the US is.  They like getting back in their comfort zone where they don't have to deal with cultures merging together.

You're discounting the metric shit-ton of guilt @David Dennison bears upon his shoulders.  We really should feel bad about liking America.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

ah yes, the great melting pot of different kinds of white people

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Many of those minority student athletes also don't graduate from the "top notch" university or do so with a meaningless degree.

You do realize that many jobs open up to people who have "meaningless degrees" that would not otherwise be open.  Plus, many of those you think of as earning a "meaningless degree" are among the first in their family to earn degrees.   Quite frankly, a whole lot of employers care less about where the degree hanging on your wall is from or what it says you studied, and more about who you know and your experience and ability.

There's so much wrong with college athletics, I'll be the first to admit that, but it opens up a helluva lot of doors that would not be otherwise opened.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You do realize that many jobs open up to people who have "meaningless degrees" that would not otherwise be open.  Plus, many of those you think of as earning a "meaningless degree" are among the first in their family to earn degrees.   Quite frankly, a whole lot of employers care less about where the degree hanging on your wall is from or what it says you studied, and more about who you know and your experience and ability.

There's so much wrong with college athletics, I'll be the first to admit that, but it opens up a helluva lot of doors that would not be otherwise opened.

I do think they should encourage the athletes to pursue what they want instead of funneling them into easier majors, but yes there are enough opportunities where you just need a degree in something. In fact, fuck the coaches that do that. They should at least be giving that minimum amount of encouragement to their players.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

I would love to see the results of a comprehensive study that evaluates the post-college income of black college football players who don't play professional football compared to other students.  

I would love for that study to also compare the black students with their "meaningless degrees" earned while playing college sports compared to their friends that never go to college of any type.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1