Tom Herman Says There is a Double Standard in College Football

Vic Mackey

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

In this time of cancel culture, it sounds pretty smart.  And good learning for the players.

Don't tweet!!!!!

Nah.

Let 'em twit, tweet, flip, flop, and fly. Whatever.

One caveat: don't fuck up. Do, and you'll be sitting. You might get Wally Pipp'ed, or we might lose because your dumb ass wasn't there for us. 

Did I mention, don't fuck up?

Quote:

Concerning LSU: SIAP.

A bunch of Tigers will be flooding the booths in Baton Rouge this November, because LSU head coach Ed Orgeron says ALL of his players decided to team up and register to vote. 

Orgeron revealed the team's decision on the "Off The Bench" show on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning, saying he's working alongside his players to come up with ways to fight the issues they face every day. 

"We had a great team meeting with our football team and I talked to them about specific stuff that was going on in the world today," Coach O said. 

Orgeron added the team's leadership committee -- consisting of 12 players and several coaches -- came up with the idea to make their voices heard by hitting the voting booths. 

"One of the solutions that they came up with as a group and to represent the team, that we're gonna register to vote. The guys wanted to take action."

Good.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, texifornia said:

Look I get that Herman can be unlikeable on a personal level, but calling what he's doing narcissism when you look at what he's doing while guys like Swinney and Ferentz ignore or actively work against their players having a voice is pretty ridiculous.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, texifornia said:

is a bit disingenuous.

Why now?  He just has a platform now?  He didn't before?  I'm picking on Herman here, but in reality ANY white coach who has benefited personally/financially from coaching black players is included.  If he felt this way before, why not say it before?  He just had these thoughts now?  Seems convenient. 

I think now is a time for white coaches to listen, not talk.

7 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Why now?  He just has a platform now?  He didn't before?  I'm picking on Herman here, but in reality ANY white coach who has benefited personally/financially from coaching black players is included.  If he felt this way before, why not say it before?  He just had these thoughts now?  Seems convenient. 

It sounds like he is letting his athletes talk.  As Anwar reported, a network wanted to interview Tom - Tom wanted to bring a student athlete, they said no, so Tom declined.  He was giving someone a voice and a platform.  He is encouraging these players to talk.

As to the bolded, we are in a pivotal moment in our society.  Tom is speaking up despite the threat of a backlash (stick to sports crowd going bananas).  Good for Tom.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bullet said:

In this time of cancel culture, it sounds pretty smart.  And good learning for the players.

Don't tweet!!!!!

Fuck that noise. Sounds like you just don't want to hear your fave players have differing opinions than you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

There's almost no coaches that speak their mind on non-sporting issues during normal times...the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Pop, and even then (especially when the Spurs are losing) he get's a lot of "STICK TO SPORTS" comments from (some) fans.  

I think it's MORE important for white coaches to speak up during this time of unrest.  These student athletes want voices to be raised, to bring/keep the issue in the public eye.  They want to see who's got their back.  Jordan Whittington went as far as to tweet, "There comes a time when silence is betrayal."  The players appreciate having a coach who is willing to publicly address the issue and show his support of their desire to use their platform for change.

If Herman didn't say anything publicly, even if he supported the team behind closed doors, I'm sure there would be grumblings from the players that he's staying safe and not putting himself out there to fight for them.  Speaking publicly on an issue as volatile as this is always risky, but I think the players appreciate that he is willing to publicly take that risk in order to support them.  As long as he doesn't make it about himself and uses his platform to support his players, then he should keep doing exactly what he's doing and more coaches should follow his lead.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, Don Johnson said:

And many think that because their home country isn't the melting pot the US is.  They like getting back in their comfort zone where they don't have to deal with cultures merging together.

Is there any evidence to support this?

27 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Is there any evidence to support this?

Sure.  India sent 1.5 million tourists to the US last year.  France sent 1.8 million.  South Korea sent 2.3 million.  China sent 2.8 million.  All in the top 10 for tourism in the US.  All also some of the countries whose populations least desiring to live beside anyone of another race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

spacer.png

Edited by Don Johnson

Sure.  India sent 1.5 million tourists to the US last year.  France sent 1.8 million.  South Korea sent 2.3 million.  China sent 2.8 million.  All in the top 10 for tourism in the US.  All also some of the countries whose populations least desiring to live beside anyone of another race.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/
3FG5DK4CBIZN7L5OBU4DPR7L5Y.jpg&w=916
I'd be willing to bet that question has more to do with religion in India. The French can be pretty goddamn racist though, I'll give you that.

American discussion of race is also very different. Because of how monolithic many of those countries are in terms of race, they may be more open to answering that question truthfully. There are also internal divides in places like China and the aforementioned India that may lead to higher rates of answering that question with a yes thst don't really have anything to do with navigating a foreign culture.

I think it's safe to say based on how Americans handle themselves abroad as well as how we handle issues of race at home that we're not inherently more open to or better at navigating foreign cultures than anyone else. Probably not any worse, either, but no better.

From my experience if the specific race were "black" neighbors, you would see bright red for most of eastern/western Europe, mid-east, Asia & ANZ. With a hand full of exceptions and most being islands, Latin America would be bright red as well. 

On 6/8/2020 at 12:07 PM, alincoln said:

Herman is entirely accurate that there is a double standard in college football but it resides in how he and his staff are compensated compared to how the players are compensated.  This quote sounds exactly like something IR at an S&P 500 company would release right now.  The narcissism it must take to lecture the fans while he makes $7 million a year off of the unpaid labor of an overwhelmingly black workforce. 

In terms of putting your money where your mouth is as suggested above, Tom should suggest that all college football staffs will contribute 50% of their annual compensation to a fund that will be distributed to the student athletes.        

Nothing is meaningfully changing in this country unless and until a significant portion of the resources of the 1% like Tom are used to create a greatly expanded and racially diverse middle class.  His self-serving hectoring of football fans isn't going to change shit.  

This sounds like political board stuff.  But you must live in Austin or Portland or Seattle if you don't think there is a racially diverse middle class in this country.  Outside the really progressive white towns, there are a lot of successful African Americans.  Percentage wise not as many, but quite a few.

15 hours ago, bullet said:

This sounds like political board stuff.  But you must live in Austin or Portland or Seattle if you don't think there is a racially diverse middle class in this country.  Outside the really progressive white towns, there are a lot of successful African Americans.  Percentage wise not as many, but quite a few.

There is a large black ghetto in every city in the country. Most upper middle class and upper class suburbs remain overwhelmingly white/Asian.  This won’t change during our lifetimes because it will take decades to change the education provided to the poor.  It will improve but not materially for at least 30 years

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alincoln said:

There is a large black ghetto in every city in the country. Most upper middle class and upper class suburbs remain overwhelmingly white/Asian.  This won’t change during our lifetimes because it will take decades to change the education provided to the poor.  It will improve but not materially for at least 30 years

The salary/charitable concept you described is laughable.. let’s not forget who is financing this country.

Dead on in regards to education, that is the single most important & obtainable task to further equality.  The poverty stricken urban areas provide virtually zero chance to live the American dream.  

The issue grows every single day, something has to be done & now.

Side note, LeBron James’ commitment to send qualifying/troubled kids to college at no cost paid huge dividends.  Nearly 2000 kids who were on track to either drop out or end a futile attempt at education at 12th grade will be attending Kent State University.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Veerbone said:

Dead on in regards to education, that is the single most important & obtainable task to further equality.  The poverty stricken urban areas provide virtually zero chance to live the American dream.     Side note, LeBron James’ commitment to send qualifying/troubled kids to college at no cost paid huge dividends.  Nearly 2000 kids who were on track to either drop out or end a futile attempt at education at 12th grade will be attending Kent State University.

David Robinson helping start the Carver Academy is a great story as well...

7 hours ago, alincoln said:

Again, maybe that's true in Austin, Portland and Seattle.  Either that or you have a rather low bar for defining "overwhelming."

Things can change very quickly.  There's a reason Blacks were so fond of Bill Clinton.  Look at the chart in this link:  https://blackdemographics.com/households/african-american-income/    Black income went up nearly a 3rd while average US went up only 10-20% during his presidency.  Gwinnett County, a nice suburban area NE of Atlanta has gone from 90% white in 1990 to 50% today and still has many of the top rated schools in the Atlanta area.

And most poor people are white.   Obviously higher % of total for Blacks, but they are not all poor and all poor aren't Black.  If you live in a big inner city you get a distorted view of the real world with really wealthy white people and really poor Black people.  But the suburbs are not so segregated by income and race.