Plastic + cast iron pan = throw away?

My Mom seems to have somehow melted something plastic into this small cast iron saucepan.

I didn't determine that it was plastic until I heated it on the stove - wasn't scrubbing out & no steel wool available.

So... would y'all try to salvage the pan or simply take it as a loss because it is small & move on, get another?

While I'm not adverse to a good challenge, I also don't need to risk poisoning or ingesting shit that will fuck with my already defective DNA.

Now the house is of melty plastics smell.f047eeda13a338a928aafd6a58362cea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Depends on how bored you are.  Scrub the shit out of it with steel wool with your favoriteset of chemicals (salt, vinegar, baking soda, gasoline,  etc); rinse and put it thru the oven clean cycle, then re-season with cooking oil.

But I'd just order a new one. 

• Like 1

Do you have a propane weed burner? Two beers while blasting it red hot with the burner would probably kill any plastics. Maybe a couple of cycles with brushing in between. Then just re-season. It’s hard to hurt cast iron.

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Get a little hand grinder and take it down to a smooth raw finish.  Re-season and go. 

This is the correct answer.
I just did this exact thing ( minus the plastic)  with a Martin #9 we resurrected from storage recently. 
I hit it with a wire wheel until satisfied and then re-seasoned. 
Good cast iron is like an anvil. It finds you. This one claimed you, do the right thing and GL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Re: grinder, this damn thing is pretty small - don't know if I'd get a grinder in there to the corners but something like a trinagulated sanding pad would possibly do the deed.

Probably get a new one.

Rather than an angle grinder, a wire wheel attachment for a good power drill is what I meant 

spacer.png

If you can clamp it to a table in some way, do so....I got shredded pretty good trying to hang on to the skillet while
I was scouring it. Burning off the plastic in a well ventilated area might save you some time too 

• Like 1

Easiest way would be to put it in the oven and do a self clean cycle. If you know anyone with a kiln, that would be ideal, ramp kiln up to 1000 degrees(basically what self clean oven cycle does). It will turn all contaminants to ash, rinse it and reseason. Warning, you will get some smoke and funky smells for a bit.

14 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Extra strength easy off oven cleaner.  Keep in a trash bag for a day.  Scrub and repeat.  Reseason or chuck the whole mess.

if easy off doesn't do anything to plastic, is it really a go to for melted on plastic?

6 hours ago, Texaus said:

Easiest way would be to put it in the oven and do a self clean cycle. If you know anyone with a kiln, that would be ideal, ramp kiln up to 1000 degrees(basically what self clean oven cycle does). It will turn all contaminants to ash, rinse it and reseason. Warning, you will get some smoke and funky smells for a bit.

Be careful doing this too, it might crack.