Thread of Statue Removals

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Xian said:

So seriously. What’s going on?  Does the elk represent something racist in the local community? 

If you are trying to find logic in antifa’s actions you are wasting your time. It’s like trying to understand why a 4 year old throws a tantrum about not getting their fruit snacks quick enough.

26 minutes ago, Xian said:

So seriously. What’s going on?  Does the elk represent something racist in the local community? 

I had to look it up to see if I could find anything that would explain this but couldn't find any public statements providing a rationale.

After about two minutes of extensive internet research, this is what I found:

The statue, donated to Portland in 1900, is meant to commemorate the elk that once lived on the land now occupied by the city.

And from Wiki:

The 6,800-pound (3,100 kg) Elk was lifted into position in late August, and the Thompson Fountain was finished the first week of September 1900.[5] A carnival sponsored by the Portland Elks Club began that week, and The Oregonian informed its readers, "this is not a carnival elk."[6] According to the city, the Exalted Order of Elks refused to dedicate it because they considered the statue "a monstrosity of art."[7]

The elk has been vandalized many times. It was vandalized during the Occupy Portland protest (2011), and had its antlers repaired in early 2012.[8] The statue was tagged with anti-Trump messages in 2016.[9] In 2020, during the George Floyd protests, people protesting police violence built a bonfire around the statue.[10] The sculpture was subsequently removed to avoid toppling and for cleaning.[8][11]

So, best I can tell is: (a) some people might consider it a symbol of environmental destruction, (b) some people have considered it ugly for a very long time, and (c) activists have been fucking with it for a while for reasons unexplained. 

That's the best I've got.

So, best I can tell is: (a) some people might consider it a symbol of environmental destruction, (b) some people have considered it ugly for a very long time, and © activists have been fucking with it for a while for reasons unexplained. 
That's the best I've got.

(d) people are pissed off and lashing out by destroying something that isn't alive nor the property of an innocent individual.

Not saying it's appropriate, just that it could be, and (if we don't change some things) will be, worse.

34 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Republicans and the NRA reconsidering their stance on gun control......

Gun reform about to be passed in Georgia by 7 July, to protect the safety of the companies 

Well Hell, Yankee Stadium has to go.  That word Yankee offends my lower US upbringing.  Can't say southern without offending some jerk.  Statue of Liberty has to go as well, can't have some pyromaniac woman running around with a lighted torch in her hand.  Let's just let these crazy mfers tear shit up until there's nothing left, then we will be able to tell which ones need to have their asses kicked.

An odd bit of history I had never head about.

It’s one of history’s lesser-known episodes. After the Civil War, thousands of defeated Southerners came to Brazil to self-exile in a country that still practiced slavery. For decades, their descendants have thrown a massive party that now attracts thousands of people to the twin cities of Americana and Santa Bárbara d’Oeste to celebrate all things Dixie. The Confederate flag? Everywhere.

On flagpoles and knickknacks. Emblazoned on the dance floor. Clutched by men clad in Confederate battle gray. Decorating the grounds of the cemetery that holds the remains of veterans of the rebel army — the immigrants known here as the confederados.

In a country that has long been more preoccupied with class divisions than racism, the Confederate symbols, stripped of their American context, never registered much notice. But now, as the racial reckoning in the United States following the killing of George Floyd inspires a similar reexamination of values in Brazil, that has begun to change.

Brazilians in recent weeks have demanded the removal of the notorious statue in São Paulo of a 17th-century settler who enslaved indigenous people. Protests for black equality have rumbled through several cities. And in Americana and Santa Bárbara d’Oeste, the cities founded by the Confederates, Brazilians who have never been to the United States are increasingly asking questions piercingly familiar to Americans: Where should the Confederacy be remembered — on a flagpole, or in a museum?

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/brazil-confederate-flag-civil-war-americana-santa-barbara/2020/07/11/1e8a7c84-bec4-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

Edited by Mapache

On 7/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, AnTiM said:

Well Hell, Yankee Stadium has to go.  That word Yankee offends my lower US upbringing.  Can't say southern without offending some jerk.  Statue of Liberty has to go as well, can't have some pyromaniac woman running around with a lighted torch in her hand.  Let's just let these crazy mfers tear shit up until there's nothing left, then we will be able to tell which ones need to have their asses kicked.

That's fucking hilarious. It's been hilarious every time I've heard something similar for weeks. Or read it on Texags.

https://www.theonion.com/heavily-armed-fans-guard-statue-of-yogi-bear-in-case-it-1844070096?utm_campaign=The Onion&utm_content=1594745404&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0gUC-MJ2gTw9eGvZo87wBZIx7b7ehRa1bxGVZvWkVzuzG7vypO2lbrv6s

gotccrayzzms7rqmpgdf.jpg

Wielding assault rifles and chanting “smarter than the average bear” as they gathered around the cartoon character, heavily armed fans reportedly guarded a statue of Yogi Bear Wednesday on the off chance that he turned out to have supported the confederacy. “We will lay down our lives to protect this monument to Jellystone’s finest bear, whether or not he happened to be a defender of Southern slave states,” said Phil Markey, 43, echoing dozens of other protesters who pledged to march day and night in case activists discovered Yogi Bear did, in fact, support the Confederacy and attempted to deface or destroy his statue, arguing that the social justice warriors ignored the cartoon bear’s kindness to Boo-Boo Bear and well-known contributions to stealing “pic-a-nic baskets.” “Whether or not he was a lackey for Jefferson Davis—and, again, we don’t really know this—Yogi Bear is part of this nation’s rich history. You cannot simply erase his escapades with Ranger Smith.” At press time, the group’s leader was arguing this could all be a slippery slope to removing Yakky Doodle or Snagglepuss statues, or even shaming someone for simply singing “Hey There, It’s Yogi Bear” in public.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, Mapache said:

An odd bit of history I had never head about.

It’s one of history’s lesser-known episodes. After the Civil War, thousands of defeated Southerners came to Brazil to self-exile in a country that still practiced slavery. For decades, their descendants have thrown a massive party that now attracts thousands of people to the twin cities of Americana and Santa Bárbara d’Oeste to celebrate all things Dixie. The Confederate flag? Everywhere.

On flagpoles and knickknacks. Emblazoned on the dance floor. Clutched by men clad in Confederate battle gray. Decorating the grounds of the cemetery that holds the remains of veterans of the rebel army — the immigrants known here as the confederados.

2020 is done. Stick a fork in it done. After all that has thus far occurred, you're telling me I now I have to worry about...

The Boys From Bayou La Batre?

Just hope they don't join forces with these dudes down there

CommentaramaFilms: Film Friday: The Boys From Brazil (1978)

On 7/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, AnTiM said:

In other times it would be funny that people this stupid think they’re smart. Right now it’s just deeply depressing.

"they were given food, shelter and clothing"

It's in Mississippi, as if you couldn't guess.

https://www.djournal.com/news/local/lee-county-supervisors-hear-from-confederate-monument-supporters/article_a6968b3d-5ea6-5015-9809-6cd1682ccc73.html

Ahead of a possible decision in early August, Lee County supervisors heard additional remarks Monday about the future of a Confederate monument located outside a county-owned building.

Having previously heard comments in favor of relocating the Confederate monument located at the old Lee County Courthouse, supervisors on Monday heard from a voice in favor of keeping the monument in place.

Advance plans fell by the wayside, however, as the meeting grew disorganized and multiple individuals were allowed to speak.

County resident Patty Young’s request to speak was placed on the agenda distributed in advance of Monday’s meeting, and she told supervisors she wanted to see the monument remain in place as a memorial to the Confederate dead.

She said that the monument was erected to provide peace of mind to family members of dead Confederate soldiers

Young also offered her view that the monument has no link to slavery or oppression and that the Civil War was not caused by slavery. Instead she said the war was caused by “northern invaders” as well as agricultural taxes imposed on the South.

Speaking in an interview with the Daily Journal, Young repeated her views that the Southern states were defending themselves from oppressive economic policies. She also claimed that historical accounts of Southern slavery may not be reliable.

“People holler that those slaves were mistreated,” Young said. “None of us lived during that times. Those are just rumors. I really don’t think that we know the actual facts. There may have been some that were mistreated.”

Young also said that the enslaved “were given food, shelter and clothing” because “those slaves were worth a lot of money to those owners.”

When asked about her views by the Daily Journal, Young said “greed” motivated the imposition of taxes on the South and that then the northern states “made it about slavery later.”

When asked about Mississippi’s succession declaration, Young said this 1861 document “was after it started.”

And here's the lovely Karen Ms. Young:

Screen-Shot-2020-07-21-at-10.46.08-AM.pn

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

"they were given food, shelter and clothing"

It's in Mississippi, as if you couldn't guess.

https://www.djournal.com/news/local/lee-county-supervisors-hear-from-confederate-monument-supporters/article_a6968b3d-5ea6-5015-9809-6cd1682ccc73.html

And here's the lovely Karen Ms. Young:

Screen-Shot-2020-07-21-at-10.46.08-AM.pn

Now multiply her by tens of millions.  And you have the Trump base.  It's pretty close to one circle.

On 7/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, HenryJames said:

This is a test. If the Nathan Bedford Forrest bust has any of NBF's spirit in it, it will escape from the capitol, on its own, and reappear periodically at different locations, burning supplies and wreaking mayhem, only to disappear again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's mind bottling to me how in Houston the names of Sidney Lanier Junior High (he was a private in the CSA army but remembered as a poet) and Henry Grady Elementary (wrote some racist stuff in the 1890s) were changed post Dylann Roof while that of Oran Roberts Elementary was not. 

Who was Roberts? Oh the guy WHO PRESIDED OVER THE TEXAS SECESSION CONVENTION? And a colonel in the CSA army to boot? 

Somehow that school survived that purge and it looks to be skating through this one too. It drives me irrationally crazy. I really don't know why Roberts gets a pass. 

• 5 weeks later...

another one bites the dust

11:00 a.m. The South’s Defenders monument at Lake Charles city hall was knocked down during the storm.

Lake Charles South's Defenders monument knocked down by storm

Lake Charles South's Defenders monument knocked down by storm (Source: KPLC)

https://www.kplctv.com/2020/08/27/live-blog-hurricane-laura-updates-swla/

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I hear Lake Charles South's Defenders monument was knocked down by the storm.

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It was! And this was after the police jury voted not to remove it.  LMAO!  

I wonder if Lake Charles will attempt to re-add the statue given they didn't want to remove it in the first place. I imagine there will be some (i.e. racists) that will fight to have to re-added as part of the heritage, while other politicians will see this as a blessing in disguise. If I was the city manager, I would have a local crew move it for temporary storage, and if it happened to receive more damage in transportation, well that would be a shame.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

wonder if Lake Charles will attempt to re-add the statue given they didn't want to remove it in the first place. I imagine there will be some (i.e. racists) that will fight to have to re-added as part of the heritage, while other politicians will see this as a blessing in disguise. If I was the city manager, I would have a local crew move it for temporary storage, and if it happened to receive more damage in transportation, well that would be a shame.

The folks in Lake Charles don’t give one shit about that statue right now.  Most are still without power. I think the nameplate below the statue still stands tho.  Perhaps down the road but no one is putting up a fight for that statue anytime soon. 

Yesterday in Trump's speech at the National Archives, he brought up the order he signed regarding statue removals. Here is an excerpt from his speech:

Today, because of an order I signed, if you demolish a statue without permission, you immediately get 10 years in prison. [Applause] And there have been no statues demolished for the last four months, incredibly, since the time I signed that act.

Prior to him mentioning this order, he said this:

One of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence was a patriot from Delaware. In July of 1776, the Continental Congress was deadlocked during the debate over independence. The delegation from Delaware was divided. Caesar Rodney was called upon to break the tie. Even though he was suffering from very advanced cancer -- he was deathly ill -- Rodney rode 80 miles through the night, through a severe thunderstorm, from Dover to Philadelphia to cast his vote for independence. For nearly a century, a statue of one of Delaware's most beloved citizens stood in Rodney Square, right in the heart of Wilmington. But this past June, Caesar Rodney's statue was ordered removed by the mayor and local politicians as part of a radical purge of America's founding generation.

This was the statement issued by the mayor back in June when the statues came down:

In a prepared statement, Mayor Michael Purzycki said the statues are being removed and stored so there can be an overdue discussion about the public display of historical figures and events. 

"We cannot erase history, as painful as it may be, but we can certainly discuss history with each other and determine together what we value and what we feel is appropriate to memorialize,” said Purzycki. 

The officials had been monitoring social media and had discovered that the statues were likely targets for planned vandalism and destruction. So, who is in charge of granting permission, Mr. President?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kirby Smith, one of LSU's biggest and least-loved dorms, to close, eventually be imploded

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_4b19fd6c-8cda-11eb-941f-173479565b51.amp.html

I lived in this dorm and it was one of the worst.  Should have been demolished 20 years ago.  Better late than never.  Huzzah! 

• 2 weeks later...

Group calling itself "White Lies Matter"  stole a Jefferson Davis monument in Alabama and is threatening to turn it into a toilet if its demands are not met:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/04/06/ransom-confederate-chair-selma/

“Failure to do so will result in the monument, an ornate stone chair, immediately being turned into a toilet. See enclosed photograph,” the group said in the email to AL.com, with the photoshopped image below.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Group calling itself "White Lies Matter"  stole a Jefferson Davis monument in Alabama and is threatening to turn it into a toilet if its demands are not met:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/04/06/ransom-confederate-chair-selma/

“Failure to do so will result in the monument, an ornate stone chair, immediately being turned into a toilet. See enclosed photograph,” the group said in the email to AL.com, with the photoshopped image below.

I gotta tell you--it's really very funny.