Thread of Statue Removals

Hugo Stiglitz

On 3/25/2021 at 8:26 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Kirby Smith, one of LSU's biggest and least-loved dorms, to close, eventually be imploded

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_4b19fd6c-8cda-11eb-941f-173479565b51.amp.html

I lived in this dorm and it was one of the worst.  Should have been demolished 20 years ago.  Better late than never.  Huzzah! 

Looks like a place you're sentenced to not one you pay to live in. What was your crime other than killing Nazis in the war?

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Looks like a place you're sentenced to not one you pay to live in. What was your crime other than killing Nazis in the war?

Jeezus ... that thing makes Jester look like a palace. Can you imagine the tawdry things that took place in those rooms over the years?  At a place like LSU?  I have a vivid imagination and I can't.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

um, $1.7M is like spending $100 to paint your entire house, inside and out. that's not a renovation. that's a bandaid

Well, it is Louisiana. Whole towns get wiped out in hurricanes with a damage estimate far less than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Group calling itself "White Lies Matter"  stole a Jefferson Davis monument in Alabama and is threatening to turn it into a toilet if its demands are not met:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/04/06/ransom-confederate-chair-selma/

“Failure to do so will result in the monument, an ornate stone chair, immediately being turned into a toilet. See enclosed photograph,” the group said in the email to AL.com, with the photoshopped image below.

How the fuck does having an ornate chair work as a monument to someone?

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Its a figurative Cinderella’s shoe kind of thing.

If the shit don't fit, you must acquit? 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the people who argue the Confederate leaders should be there, even though the United States kicked their asses, they should be advocating for various British leaders from the Revolution, since, you know, the American Revolution was literally our first civil war.

• Hook 'Em 1

Largely blaming Russia, who was often Guilty, for All the machinations of a real shit head?

And seriously that orange clown was the worst. The fact that we can't agree on that simple fact is the scary part .

Largely blaming Russia, who was often Guilty, for All the machinations of a real shit head?

And seriously that orange clown was the worst. The fact that we can't agree on that simple fact is the scary part .

45 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

You'll have to refresh my memory on this. I write something about a hideous dorm which you quote and then respond to in a way that I can't make sense of. I must be forgetting something from April.

Guest Lobo

Where are they taking all of these statues by the way?  I assume different states will have different storage deposits.  But some maintenance guy is gonna tweet out photos of these things and use them as a rally point for something bad.  Or are they being melted down?  You hear about the taking down, then the whiny protest, but you never read about what happens after that.  

I think we're the only country with thousands of statues of our attackers that we're still saving for some reason, because "feelings."  I've never see a statue to Hitler, Goering, Keitel, Heydrich, Himmler, Bormann, or Goebbels...but their history hasn't been erased.  I can tell you anything you want to know about an of them.  

On 7/7/2021 at 9:53 PM, Lobo said:

Where are they taking all of these statues by the way?  I assume different states will have different storage deposits.  But some maintenance guy is gonna tweet out photos of these things and use them as a rally point for something bad.  Or are they being melted down?  You hear about the taking down, then the whiny protest, but you never read about what happens after that.  

I think we're the only country with thousands of statues of our attackers that we're still saving for some reason, because "feelings."  I've never see a statue to Hitler, Goering, Keitel, Heydrich, Himmler, Bormann, or Goebbels...but their history hasn't been erased.  I can tell you anything you want to know about an of them.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2019-06-12/robert-e-lee-statue-bidder-identified-as-dallas-law-firm?context=amp

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Woland said:

I read this article tonight and found it interesting how another country is having to deal with difficult questions about its culture, in this case, children’s literature.

https://russianlife.com/magazine/july-august-2021/cheburashka-in-the-fog/

This incident gave rise to what may be the most vociferous discussion to date of “cancel culture” in the Russian context. After all, Eduard Uspensky was not just a famous writer and television personality: his characters were integral to several generations of childhoods, and the idea of relegating the stories of Cheburashka, Crocodile Gena, Uncle Fyodor, and the cat Matroskin to the trash bin felt like a body blow to all Russians, tantamount to asking them to throw their own childhood in the trash.

blink-182 wtf GIF

What the fuck did Matroskin ever do besides amuse and inspire generations of children?  It was a fucking cat, what the hell people?

• 1 month later...

Republicans:  ROAR YOU'RE DESTROYING OUR HERITAGE!

Everybody: So you want a statue of a slave-owning Democrat who lost a war to remain?

Republicans: NO, WAIT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE SAID!

Everybody: So we can take the statue down?

Republicans: NO YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE STATUE UP!

Everybody: So you want a statue of a slave-owning Democrat who lost a war to remain?

Republicans: LOOK JUST DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH IVERMECTIN WILL MAKE YOU SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!  FAUCI HUNTER LAPTOP!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/plaque-proposed-for-georgetown-confederate-statue

that’s from 2016. Want to guess what’s been done in the past 5 years?

71071348-3C33-4381-9D2B-0452CBBA22B3.jpeg

I was in Georgetown two weeks ago. My beloved was in an antique store on the square which was just a little too tight for me. Across the street, I saw quasi Confederate battle flags flying and a small pavillion set up in front of that statue. It was the first time I'd been present for something like this.

In a chair near the pavillion, a black woman was sitting quietly. A bunch of white guys in cowboy hats were chatting at a table nearby. I assumed she was sitting in silent protest.

After much thought, I decided to go across the street and sit with her. Her cause should not be a lonely one.

I crossed the street and ambled in the direction of the statue. I was in cowboy hat to keep off the sun. The guys at the table looked up in expectation of a fellow traveller. They evidently caught on quickly that I was not approving. Not that I was scary, just that I was not amenable.

Interestingly, a guy from the table went over to the black woman and it became clear that she was actually with the statue supporters rather than in protest. Surprising, but not really any of my business.

I noticed another tent set up before another face of the courthouse. Remove statues for traitors! or some such sign indicated their stand. I went over there and signed the petition to have the statue removed.

For me, the best part was being there in all my tall, aging whiteness and talking with the women in the protest pavillion. I got to say things many of you may have read from me on these boards. I got first hand reaction from the women there as I told them that I'd been awakened to the fact that not only have I failed to see things, but I am also aware that there still are things invisible to me. 

There was brief, warm comradeship out among the humans. I'm inspired to do a little more in my usual lazy increments. I encourage the similarly publicly reticent to do the same.

Just a story. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/10/us/lee-monument-time-capsule-trnd/index.html

Officials in Richmond, Virginia, have called off the search for a nearly 134-year-old time capsule that was believed to be embedded in the huge pedestal base of the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that was removed Wednesday.

They used cranes and other heavy equipment to move 21 granite blocks, including some that weighed more than 8,000 pounds, Grant Neely, the chief communications officer for the governor's office, told CNN in an email. They also dug a large, 5-foot-deep hole near the cornerstone of the monument with shovels.

The plan was to turn the time capsule over to the state's Department of Historic Resources' conservation lab, which would examine its contents, but the search came up empty.

"After a couple of long hard days, it's clear the time capsule won't be found -- and Virginia is done with lost causes," Neely said. "The search for this moldy Confederate box is over. We're moving on."

spit take GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1