Thread of Statue Removals

Hugo Stiglitz

On 12/7/2021 at 7:14 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus Christ--this is why I'll never be rich.  I'm just not quick enough with these ideas.

A3B6F577-87F5-4DD8-AFD0-E60EF4E4F98D.thumb.png.3a1be1efea723f55d9e1fe1f7baa9a30.png

Martin Luther King and Robert E. Lee stuck in the back.    Breibart is closer.

But you missed this chance too.   Although maybe if you painted it on black velvet and added a few poker playing dogs, you might get around the copyright.

4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Hopefully this gets renamed Ft. Benavidez 

Woud have been awesome, but it was this

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Fort Seguin 

If we couldn't get him for Hood, then Bragg should have been named for Benavidez, he basically embodied the whole Green Beret ethos.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The Everyone Doesn't Get A Trophy Club is going to be thrilled over this tremendous news! Snowflakes, you're time is up!

Yeah, I changed my mind.  Keep all the statues up.  But remove the names, ranks, and stories, and simply carve, "1864 Civil War:  Participant"

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I changed my mind.  Keep all the statues up.  But remove the names, ranks, and stories, and simply carve, "1864 Civil War:  Participant"

Or just change the plaques and describe them as those who committed treason to keep men made in God's image in chains.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

List all of the battles they lost and how many of their men they got killed.

Given how incompetent many of them were, toss in that the North was extremely grateful that they got so many of their men killed.

• Hook 'Em 1

That would be funny, to have number of men under their command killed.  For nothing.  Nothing at all.  Black people are free.  And the sons of confederacy aren't even allowed to wash my car.  

It's not good form to mock those you defeat in legitimate military battle.  But when you rise up within our borders and try to take down our own government, you deserve everything bad that happens to you.  and your children should learn of their parent's cowardice and treason. 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

A3B6F577-87F5-4DD8-AFD0-E60EF4E4F98D.thumb.png.3a1be1efea723f55d9e1fe1f7baa9a30.png
Martin Luther King and Robert E. Lee stuck in the back.    Breibart is closer.
But you missed this chance too.   Although maybe if you painted it on black velvet and added a few poker playing dogs, you might get around the copyright.
The Andy Warhol / Prince case should "clarify" how much photochopping you need to do to beat a copyright claim.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On August 20, 2017 — immediately after and "in light of" the Unite the right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia — "nearly two dozen people from the extended Ezekiel family" sent a letter to the Washington Post, asking for the Arlington monument's removal:

Like most such monuments, this statue intended to rewrite history to justify the Confederacy and the subsequent racist Jim Crow laws. It glorifies the fight to own human beings, and, in its portrayal of African Americans, implies their collusion. As proud as our family may be of Moses’s artistic prowess, we — some twenty Ezekiels — say remove that statue. Take it out of its honored spot in Arlington National Cemetery and put it in a museum that makes clear its oppressive history.[34]

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Interesting... apparently this turd still stands

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Monument_(Greenville,_South_Carolina)

The Greenville Confederate monument well represents the contemporary Southern Lost Cause interpretation of the Civil War. One sentence inscribed on the shaft reads: “The world shall yet decide in truth’s clear far off light that the soldiers who wore the grey and died with Lee were in the right.”[9][10]

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Even growing up in Texas, I was not at all aware of this until about 2017.  It's fucking nuts.

Being a kid of the 70s/80s, I was kind of aware of it, having lived in other southern states (and a few northern states), but I couldn't have put a name to it or understood that it was a organized movement heavily invested in glorifying the Confederacy.  I remember the Dukes of Hazzard, the North and the South miniseries, etc., We had some awards given out in high school tied to it (and at the time I lumped the awards in with the Daughters of the American Revolution, etc.) I thought it was a joke when people called it the War of Northern Aggression, but looking at the history of that term, that was an organized movement during the Jim Crow era.

Two things kind of broke me out of it, although I couldn't have articulated it at the time - one a high school history teacher read out the Texas Declaration of Causes for joining the Confederacy where Texas made it abundantly clear it was about slaves, and that the leaders of Texas thought that blacks were inferior to whites, and then Ken Burns Civil Wars series on PBS.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s really fascinating because nothing is new. All the stuff we bitch and worry about it’s happened before. The recalcitrance of some of living in a multi-racial democracy/society. Government civil right policies and institutions weakened over time because priorities shifted and/or lack of political will to see things through. 

We need something like this here in the US: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/fallen-monument-park
Also currently reading Civil War by Other means for school... #@$@ me, the war/lost cause never ended for some in the South. It's a shame how much of our population wants to ignore this reality. 

My favorite park in Moscow. I drank a lot of beer in its cafe.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, YChang said:

It’s really fascinating because nothing is new. All the stuff we bitch and worry about it’s happened before. The recalcitrance of some of living in a multi-racial democracy/society. Government civil right policies and institutions weakened over time because priorities shifted and/or lack of political will to see things through. 

It's not because priorities shifted or a lack of will, it's because one party is trying to roll back a lot of rights and fuck everything up and make a lot of things fail, from local schools up to the federal government, from banning books to trying to gut public universities that don't teach exactly the way they want (even though they've never attended those public universities) to going after corporations they don't like (but they got married at said corporation's resort/theme park) to trying to make life miserable for LBGTQ Americans who pay their taxes and want to be left alone.

Their platform is not one of "these are the things we will do for you, please vote for us" but "vote for us, because we are going to try and make those librools as miserable as possible, and outlaw their lifestyles and beliefs and we're going to fuck up the government and just fire everybody that makes the government run and we're going to use the government against our enemies!"

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not because priorities shifted or a lack of will, it's because one party is trying to roll back a lot of rights and fuck everything up and make a lot of things fail, from local schools up to the federal government, from banning books to trying to gut public universities that don't teach exactly the way they want (even though they've never attended those public universities) to going after corporations they don't like (but they got married at said corporation's resort/theme park) to trying to make life miserable for LBGTQ Americans who pay their taxes and want to be left alone.

To be clear I’m just drawing some parallels with current events with the book I’m reading that post Civil War South with the Republicans trying to push civil rights initially. But by the time Grant left office and Hayes took over the Republicans have absolutely lost the political will on civil rights and shifted to economic interests in the North and West. Not to mention Haye’s own election had its issues with figuring out who won all the votes just like Biden/Trump with Democrats alleging all sorts of shenanigans without proof. History really is fascinating. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, YChang said:

To be clear I’m just drawing some parallels with current events with the book I’m reading that post Civil War South with the Republicans trying to push civil rights initially. But by the time Grant left office and Hayes took over the Republicans have absolutely lost the political will on civil rights and shifted to economic interests in the North and West. Not to mention Haye’s own election had its issues with figuring out who won all the votes just like Biden/Trump with Democrats alleging all sorts of shenanigans without proof. History really is fascinating. 

Could it be said that the Compromise of 1877 set us on the path to where we are today?

You know how most racist Southerners believe "Well, I wouldn't have ever owned slaves or fought for the Confederacy"...but deep down, everybody knows had they been in that position-they would have owned slaves and fought for that capability?  But it's a mutually agreed upon lie so that we can move on from an ugly history and try to progress?  Same with so many other atrocities in human history?

I don't fault the Union for Reconstruction nor the Compromise of 1877 and a dozen other efforts like them since we were stuck on our own shores with one another with 2 oceans.  I blame them for their lack of vision.  Imagine 1984, The Handmaiden's Tale, even The Purge, or any other dystopian vision for the future of our Republic.  The Authoritarians, the Fascists, the Religious Zealots take over and put their foots on the throats of everyone else.  And the rebellion eventually ensues.  Right?  In my version, the Authoritarians, the Fascists, and the Religious Zealots, the Stupids basically.  They're all exterminated from the start.  

The final solution to the Stupid Question is there are no Stupid Questions, only the Trail of Dead.  You people lack vision.  And will.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Could it be said that the Compromise of 1877 set us on the path to where we are today?

Interesting question… don’t know enough to say but sure seems that way right? The lost cause/confederate sympathizers were clearly already there and very active before this. And yeah this basically gave them justification in their minds for past actions and to continue. Surly historians? 

May have been posted, but this is a good video from 2019 about the removals, from a historian who extensively covers the Civil War….first few minutes probably caught some people off guard, when they realized that the article he was reading about the removals was from the 1890s and had Union veterans of Gettysburg bitching about the Confederates getting monuments at Gettysburg, calling the Confederates traitors.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

May have been posted, but this is a good video from 2019 about the removals, from a historian who extensively covers the Civil War….first few minutes probably caught some people off guard, when they realized that the article he was reading about the removals was from the 1890s and had Union veterans of Gettysburg bitching about the Confederates getting monuments at Gettysburg, calling the Confederates traitors.

Aton-shei Films is a fantastic YouTube creator. I highly recommend his videos as he address various issues of the Civil War and debates himself in very entertaining and funny ways to destroy the various Southern myths. He’s brilliant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Statue of Jackie Robinson Stolen From Kansas Park
A bronze life-size statue of the baseball player who broke racial barriers in 1947 was cut at its ankles, leaving behind just its shoes and the statue’s base.

image.thumb.png.80c2dbe11bbdf2122f68317cae5757f3.png

The authorities in Kansas are searching for the vandals who stole a life-size bronze statue commemorating Jackie Robinson, the first Black Major League Baseball player, after they cut it off at the ankles, leaving behind just the statue’s shoes and base.

The police in Wichita were notified of the theft around 12:50 p.m. on Thursday after getting a call from League 42, the Little League nonprofit that installed the statue in McAdams Park, Andrew Ford, a police spokesman, said on Saturday.

He estimated that the statue weighed at least 100 pounds.

“I don’t know what the motivation is,” Mr. Ford said. “All considerations are being looked into.”

Mr. Ford said the police had surveillance footage of the statue being cut down and being placed in the bed of a truck that was pulled up or parked “at least in a way where it can be, you know, discreetly hidden.”

He said that at least two people were believed to be involved. Mr. Ford said the theft occurred early on Thursday morning. He declined to specify what was used to cut the statue because that was part of the investigation.

Robinson, who had been a young star with the Kansas City Monarchs in the Negro leagues, broke the color barrier and became the first Black player to play in Major League Baseball when he stepped onto Ebbets Field during his debut for the Brooklyn Dodgers on April 15, 1947.

Robinson became a symbol of hope for racial equality in the country. After he retired from baseball, he continued working on civil rights issues and went on to break barriers in advertising, broadcasting and business.

Mr. Robinson “used his prestige as a star athlete to garner support for the civil rights movement,” according to the Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute. Dr. King said that Robinson “made my success possible,” according to the Baseball Hall of Fame. “Without him, I would never have been able to do what I did.”

Bob Lutz, the executive director of League 42, which takes its name for the number Robinson wore, said it was a challenge to get the statue erected because the group had to raise money and needed approvals to use his name and likeness.

The statue, which has an estimated value of $75,000, was installed in April 2021, he said.

Mr. Lutz said he believed that the theft was an isolated incident and that he had no idea what could have been a motive for the theft.

“I’m hopeful that this was a purely ignorant decision made by ignorant people,” he said. “That they didn’t know any better.”

The Wichita police chief, Joe Sullivan, said during a news conference on Friday that he was “frustrated by the actions of those individuals who had the audacity to take the statue,” noting that the theft occurred just before February, which is Black History Month.

“Our city wants the statue returned,” the chief said. “We also want the individuals who robbed our community of a treasure to be held accountable for their actions, and I assure you they will.”

• Rage+1 6

West Texas A&M in Hereford to become quasi-religious cultist breeding ground.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2024/01/29/in-the-panhandle-a-conservative-vision-for-higher-education-takes-root-at-west-texas-am/

"I want West Texas A&M University to champion ideas rather than ideology,” Wendler said at an event in Austin last year. 

also:

"Over two years ago, Wendler pitched Fairly on a center where students and scholars could study “Panhandle values” and promote them among the campus community. The idea appealed to Fairly, who has described his own values in emails as “faith-based” and “conservative.”

• Haha 1