Thread of Statue Removals

Hugo Stiglitz

I put this in the Right Wing Violence thread but I figured I’d put it here too.

Being the only (?) current black driver in NASCAR and being vocal about them banning the confederate flag and wearing BLM gear at the track earned him this.

No, see, the real problem is protecting statues and our history.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Full view of the Teddy Roosevelt statue -

fd5702174da7c15c3ae97da0d60d8673.jpg

So when you were able to go in there they had a video explaining why that statue was still up. Everytime I have been there I always thought to myself "Why in the hell is this actually here?" Thank God it is getting removed. If this is going down Columbus is definitely on the chopping block down the street.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GRHorn said:

show me the lie, all you people who imbed David Frum tweets? Let’s go all the way. 

He's not wrong about this.  It does amuse me that it's been years since I've heard any right wing, FoxNews fan admit to having supported the Iraq War.  Pretty much every Trump fan was calling anyone opposed to Iraq and Afghanistan invasions a traitor back then.  

5 minutes ago, Bojack said:

He's not wrong about this.  It does amuse me that it's been years since I've heard any right wing, FoxNews fan admit to having supported the Iraq War.  Pretty much every Trump fan was calling anyone opposed to Iraq and Afghanistan invasions a traitor back then.  

As somebody who was opposed to even the initial invasion of Afghanistan,  I can assure you it was a very, very lonely existence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bojack said:

Cernovich has a Persian wife FWIW. 

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

As somebody who was opposed to even the initial invasion of Afghanistan,  I can assure you it was a very, very lonely existence.

Props to you, brother. That was truly fighting the lonely fight.

Right side of history, and being the best you can be. :)

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Making women cover their faces: Check
Destruction of graven images: Check

Hell yes the baathification of America is going to plan

Shaun King goes on my list of people I suspect are really the exact opposite of who they claim to be, secretly fighting for the other side. He is such a moron, it has to be a bit. 

Michael Savage and Jacob Wohl are his equivalents on the right. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shaun King goes on my list of people I suspect are really the exact opposite of who they claim to be, secretly fighting for the other side. He is such a moron, it has to be a bit. 

Anglicizing Jesus is a perpetuation of white supremacy, though.

We can think it's fine, but it just is.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You're not even addressing the argument or issue, you're just whining.

Alright. On the merits then, if the Anglicizing of Jesus is a perpetuation of white supremacy, is the continued use of English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese in Latin America and Africa a micro-aggression as well? 

But yeah, I'm the one whining, not the person calling for the removal of religious art that is hundreds of years old.

3 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Alright. On the merits then, if the Anglicizing of Jesus is a perpetuation of white supremacy, is the continued use of English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese in Latin America and Africa a micro-aggression as well? 

You don't have to pretend something isn't what it is in order to preserve its existence. Honesty is good.

You can have the position: "It is a sign of white supremacy but we should keep it anyway."

We should have to argue for the maintenance of existing structures over time because we shouldn't just exist one way because we've always existed one way. We should constantly be questioning and prodding and changing and adapting.

Don't be afraid of the conversation and its potential outcomes.

Anglicizing? So the bearded, long-haired, light skinned Jesus that became standardized by the 5th-6th century in the Eastern Church-not the West-was a way to make Jesus English? Before there was an England. Perhaps beginning before there were Angles in England, even.

That’s remarkable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

You don't have to pretend something isn't what it is in order to preserve its existence. Honesty is good.

You can have the position: "It is a sign of white supremacy but we should keep it anyway."

We should have to argue for the maintenance of existing structures over time because we shouldn't just exist one way because we've always existed one way. We should constantly be questioning and prodding and changing and adapting.

Don't be afraid of the conversation and its potential outcomes.

image.png.df583a5accb6c965a77d45d07abe108d.png

Ethiopian Jesus

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

But yeah, I'm the one whining, not the person calling for the removal of religious art that is hundreds of years old.

Isn't a little of 1000s if it's religious?

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the protesters reflect the population of the country.  In other words, a vast majority are entirely ignorant of history and a disturbing percentage are morons.  No different than a Trump rally in that respect.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alincoln said:

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the protesters reflect the population of the country.  In other words, a vast majority are entirely ignorant of history and a disturbing percentage are morons.  No different than a Trump rally in that respect.

Oh you mean like the Morons who could be most aptly described as democrats, indiscriminately destroying anything, and everything  in sight because it's a statue, it must be bad ?  Those kinds of morons ?

No different than a CHAZ dweller in that respect...  You get honorary membership with this kind of post.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

It's more than just being ignorant of history, though? It's learning how to examine the past and reflect upon it and grow from it. Some of the population is running on emotion, some are short term purveyors of history, while others really don't give a damn, it's just fun. Dickens and Hugo are under rated reading in schools.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

A Holocaust memorial was just knocked down in California. Good job, people. Let's see what else we can destroy, cause it's fashionable.

I looked this up and I think you're referring to the one in Santa Rosa that happened about a week ago. I haven't seen any assignment of blame, but I would bet that it's a different fascianable group than BLM. There was also another holocaust memorial in Nashville that was recently vandalized, as well as one in Boston a couple of years ago.

If you've got a link handy that blames BLM for a holocaust memorial vandalism, I'd sure like to see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's more than just being ignorant of history, though? It's learning how to examine the past and reflect upon it and grow from it. Some of the population is running on emotion, some are short term purveyors of history, while others really don't give a damn, it's just fun. Dickens and Hugo are under rated reading in schools.

Examining the past, reflecting upon it and growing from it require knowledge of history, the desire and capability to critically evaluate it, and the maturity to grow from the process.  Not happening within the American mob 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I looked this up and I think you're referring to the one in Santa Rosa that happened about a week ago. I haven't seen any assignment of blame, but I would bet that it's a different fascianable group than BLM. There was also another holocaust memorial in Nashville that was recently vandalized, as well as one in Boston a couple of years ago.

If you've got a link handy that blames BLM for a holocaust memorial vandalism, I'd sure like to see it.

Santa Rosa police believe it was linked to the protest.  Not much of a leap to ascribe it to the indiscriminate property damage part and parcel of these protests.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

No, but that is us turning our backs on education and denigrating it as a country. Benefits the elites and ultimately the mob is harmed and sometimes the elites are too, eventually.

I don't disagree.  Unfortunately, remedying this issue will take at least 30 years.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I never put BLM in my post, cause I don't know who did it. I'm just mad that this happened, and I think it's cause it's the popular thing to do.