Williamson County death in custody

Jerry Callo

Looks like Williamson County is going to be front and center in the current debate about police practices.  Story contains another video which is difficult and painful to watch.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/javier-ambler-death-investigation-williamson-county-sheriffs-live-pd/269-9065fe1e-bb16-439f-a008-fa74f741d5b4

19 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Looks like Williamson County is going to be front and center in the current debate about police practices.  Story contains another video which is difficult and painful to watch.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/javier-ambler-death-investigation-williamson-county-sheriffs-live-pd/269-9065fe1e-bb16-439f-a008-fa74f741d5b4

And on it goes.  Again, the troubling part of the story is the stonewalling by the Williamson County Sheriff's office.  They can't "investigate themselves."  They can't be trusted.  Not even a little bit.  They neither accept accountability nor provide it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Sounds like it goes back to treating law enforcement like a reality show/video game us vs. them.  Posted about that in another thread.

Yeah, Live PD is a bad idea all around.  There is a current fight between the Wilco Sheriff and Wilco Commissioners' Court over Live PD - I'm certain that this case is at the root of the fight.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah, Live PD is a bad idea all around.  There is a current fight between the Wilco Sheriff and Wilco Commissioners' Court over Live PD - I'm certain that this case is at the root of the fight.

My BIL is a Wilco Detective. He hates Chody, and he hates that Live PD bullshit also. Last time I talked to him (Christmas) he said he would quit if Chody won re-election. 

8 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Choady won $51 million in the lottery as an APD officer and then basically bought the Sheriff's election by way outspending all the other candidates.  His list of scandals is getting quite long.

Ah democracy. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That and the fact that some ridiculously high percentage of the cases on LivePD are not prosecutable.  My understanding was that the Wilco contract stated that any visual image recorded by LivePD became the exclusive property of LivePD/A&E and they were under no oblogation to release those videos to 3rd parties.  Defense claims video is Brady. Prosecutor says the video is not in their possession. A&E says video is their property and won't release it.

• Like 1

Choady won $51 million in the lottery as an APD officer and then basically bought the Sheriff's election by way outspending all the other candidates.  His list of scandals is getting quite long.
You can't trust a man that wins millions of dollars and uses it to secure a job where he has to wear a brown* polyester uniform to work everyday.

*he was a constable before becoming sherif.

27 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

That and the fact that some ridiculously high percentage of the cases on LivePD are not prosecutable.  My understanding was that the Wilco contract stated that any visual image recorded by LivePD became the exclusive property of LivePD/A&E and they were under no oblogation to release those videos to 3rd parties.  Defense claims video is Brady. Prosecutor says the video is not in their possession. A&E says video is their property and won't release it.

In a civil case you can subpoena records from a third party. Are you telling me you can't in a criminal case?

Chody is a fuckin idiot. Case in point on the nerdy dipshit that got picked on in high school and now carries a badge tbeory.

I mean how fuckin stupid you gotta be to have your wife win the lotto and use that money to run for constable then sheriff. What a waste of $.

Dumb ass.

Chody was out with livepd filming that night.

If interested I suggest you read up on buddy falcons twitter feed. Some gold in there.

He fuckin hates chody and calls out ALL the bullshit

And that video is tough to watch. Damn, how awful.

Homicide caught on tape. Luckily Austin PD released their video as Wilco continues to stonewall

Tough watch. I will say that's a different situation than Minneapolis. This seemed more like a case of officers mishandling a situation vs the pure malice of Chauvin & his friends. At least these officers uncuffed him and tried to render aid once they realized something was wrong. Still think the officers involved here should face some type of punishment. 

Is he the guy with a house on #18/11 at Avery?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And on it goes.  Again, the troubling part of the story is the stonewalling by the Williamson County Sheriff's office.  They can't "investigate themselves."  They can't be trusted.  Not even a little bit.  They neither accept accountability nor provide it.

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

That whole thing has been nuts, and is so much a Williamson County thing.  Still crazy that the Sheriff can tell his bosses to fuck off.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/live-pd-appears-in-williamson-county-after-cease-and-desist-sent-to-sheriff-chody-and-show-producers/

The A&E reality show “Live PD” was in Williamson County Friday night just three days after Williamson County Commissioners voted unanimously to send a cease-and-desist to Sheriff Robert Chody and the makers of the show to stop filming in the county.

Sheriff Chody tweeted Friday night promoting the show and even shared screen grabs from scenes in Williamson County.

The Williamson County Commissioners Court voted in April to end the county’s contract with “Live PD.“The vote, based on a proposal from Commissioner Cynthia Long, was unanimous to terminate the contractual agreement between the county and Big Fish Entertainment, which produces the show. 

However, on Wednesday a cease-and-desist letter was sent to Chody after camera crews rode with deputies in patrol cars last week.

“Last Saturday, Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody allowed a cameraman with no enforceable contract, no legal relation to the county, no duty to our citizens into a county cruiser to shoot a TV show,” Commissioner Russ Boles said. “In doing so, he exposed the county to millions of dollars of liability. This is a fact. Only a careless sheriff would do that.”

Chody said Live PD has been one of the department’s best community outreach and recruiting tools, but the Commissioners Court said none of the felonies recorded on the show are ever prosecuted because of lack of evidence.

“The show is almost a lie,” Commissioner Russ Boles said. “One hundred percent of the Wilco felonies you have ever seen on Live PD have been dismissed. I don’t think this is what the Williamson County citizens want the sheriff to do with their resources.”

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

WHY DIDN'T HE JUST PULL OVER?!?!?! amirite

I'm pretty sure that this is schtick, but you know there are actually people out there who ask this and think they're making a great point, right?

Oh, I dunno.  Maybe because he thought they might kill him for no reason whatsoever?

Nah, that never happens.

4 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

You know, VAPA is looking more and more prescient every minute that ticks by these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta love the casual, "Pretty sure I just broke his finger" uttered by one of the HEROES.

Yeah, pretty sure you just killed him too oh server and protector.

But, hey, he failed to dim his lights so fucker had it comin' to him!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Let's not get carried away. 

Um, no, let's do.  I'm gearing both of my vehicles up with as much recording equipment as I can afford.

Giving the badged cartels and their enablers control over evidence is not wise.  That is abundantly clear.

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

I'm pretty sure that this is schtick, but you know there are actually people out there who ask this and think they're making a great point, right?

Oh, I dunno.  Maybe because he thought they might kill him for no reason whatsoever?

Nah, that never happens.

He should have pulled over.  However, the fact that he didn't doesn't justify a 20 minute high speed chase through two counties and into neighborhoods.  In addition to the LivePD problems mentioned above, this case brings back into the light pursuit policies.  They all too often in bad and unnecessarily endanger innocent people.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There’s lots of “should”s we can discuss Jerry.  Cops should stop killing and torturing people. Perhaps more would pull over.

I'm all for reforming the criminal justice system, initiating measures to curb police brutality, ending qualified immunity, ending civil asset forfeiture, and ending the war on drugs, but I can't get behind some unwritten rule that it's permissible to refuse to pull over for a traffic stop.

Edited by Jerry Callo

Who said anything about permissible?  Maybe change the word to understandable.

Example It has been permissable for cops to abuse their power, hurting, killing, and ruining the lives of innocent people, therefore, it is understandable when those people sometimes don't just pull over, especially the ones who are darker complected.

Stop making the first permissable and then we won't have to understand the second.

The fact that this guy was basically tortured and killed by this badged mob completely makes it understandable to me why he tried to escape them to begin with.  Stop being those kinds of shitheals and then I'll stop understanding why he ran.

Edited by Cajun

I hate to say this because two wrongs truly do not make a right, but it would be refreshing to see this headline in the news -

"Police kill one of their own during his arrest for violating the rights of a citizen"

Only time I've seen anything like that is when the dead HERO attacked his fellow HEROES.  Only time.  Also, much like in the military how they make cadets go into the CS room so they can see what it's like, I'd like to see every cop be made to take the treatment that they give so many people with knees in backs, necks, arms bent in impossible ways, listening to conflicting commands, having their chest compressed, trying to get air, all the while being told to "stop resisting" and see how they respond.  Let's see if they can just lay there and take it without twitching a muscle or making a "furtive" movement.  Pass/fail.  You don't move so much as a whisker and you pass.  You even so much as crinkle your nose and you get a free lead salad courtesy the civilian istructors and taxpayers.

Fucking cunts.

Edited by Cajun

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And on it goes.  Again, the most troubling part of the story is the stonewalling by the Williamson County Sheriff's office.  They can't "investigate themselves."  They can't be trusted.  Not even a little bit.  They neither accept accountability nor provide it.

Just a tiny little fify

14 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Chody is a fuckin idiot. Case in point on the nerdy dipshit that got picked on in high school and now carries a badge tbeory.

I mean how fuckin stupid you gotta be to have your wife win the lotto and use that money to run for constable then sheriff. What a waste of $.

Dumb ass.

Chody was out with livepd filming that night.

If interested I suggest you read up on buddy falcons twitter feed. Some gold in there.

He fuckin hates chody and calls out ALL the bullshit

And that video is tough to watch. Damn, how awful.

Homicide caught on tape. Luckily Austin PD released their video as Wilco continues to stonewall

Yeah, like APD is always forthcoming on releasing video evidence of Austin cops fucking up.

Statement from Chody today as published on Nextdoor:

While we cannot comment on the Ambler incident due to the ongoing investigation by the Travis County D.A., we can correct misleading statements made by the Travis County D.A. The Williamson County Sheriff’s Department remains ready and willing to participate in the investigation being conducted by the Travis County D.A.’s office. However, the Travis County D.A. has not contacted us for any reason related to this investigation. Any attempt to say we have slowed or otherwise impeded the investigation is absolutely false. We participated fully in the investigation launched by the Austin Police Department, the results of which have been forwarded to the Travis County D.A. In terms of any LIVE PD footage, as a department, we do not control that footage. However, I join the Travis County D.A. in requesting that LIVE PD make any existing footage available for review by Travis County prosecutors.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Statement from Chody today as published on Nextdoor:

That's just breathtaking.  I am going to presume that LIVE PD will assert a first amendment defense (as journalists) against any attempt to subpoena the footage.

Which pretty much cements for me that the Legislature needs to prohibit any similar arrangements in the future.  First, as noted above, they create an INCENTIVE for the police to create encounters to make good TV.  That should never, ever, ever even be ARGUABLY part of the mix in law enforcement decisions.  Second, to the extent that any law enforcement agency enters into ANY contract with ANY entity to record ANY of their activity, a requirement of that contract is that all footage must be shared with the PD on request, and that the recording agency waives any 1st amendment defense to producing such footage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's just breathtaking.  I am going to presume that LIVE PD will assert a first amendment defense (as journalists) against any attempt to subpoena the footage.

Which pretty much cements for me that the Legislature needs to prohibit any similar arrangements in the future.  First, as noted above, they create an INCENTIVE for the police to create encounters to make good TV.  That should never, ever, ever even be ARGUABLY part of the mix in law enforcement decisions.  Second, to the extent that any law enforcement agency enters into ANY contract with ANY entity to record ANY of their activity, a requirement of that contract is that all footage must be shared with the PD on request, and that the recording agency waives any 1st amendment defense to producing such footage.

And, yet, had a HERO been killed during that encounter there would be absolutely no problem getting access to the full video.

None.

Isn't that funny?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  

In no way is this meant as a CR post (though though the article mentions the governor):

I just did some googling on the Wilco sheriff with whom I was unfamiliar and found this story about him being appointed last year to the Advisory Committee to the Texas Board of Criminal Justice on Offenders with Medical or Mental Impairments in light of the circumstances of this man's death, which is kind of fucked up.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/gov-abbott-appoints-williamson-county-sheriff-to-advisory-committee/amp/