Let's discuss "The Doors"

Gil Bang

they fucking suck.  they are quite possibly the worst fucking band during the period of the greatest music.   Unlistenable.   Horrible. 

Today I was painting my laundry room with the Sirius classic channel playing, and that total and complete dogshit "Whiskey Bar" song came on, and I climbed down the fucking ladder to change the channel.  

one of you fucks will come along and say "Riders on the Storm" is great.  You're wrong.  It fucking sucks too.  They didn't do a single thing worth a shit.   Jim Morrison was a waste of perfectly good heroin.  And I fucking hate heroin.  

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

Funny you post this, was listening to some "dedicated" channel of theirs last week.  I'll give them credit, as I loved them and played the hell outta them on my radio show in the early 90's, they have a deeper and bluesier catalogue than I think most of us remember.  That said, their music is aging worse than Angela Lansbury at a Chola Gang Bang.  

But yeah, "Peace Frog"...great and unloved track, always and forever.  What are those other two fucksticks up to nowadays besides nothing?  Every other "famous" group of the 60's managed to accidentally fall into some decent project afterwards.  

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

they fucking suck.  they are quite possibly the worst fucking band during the period of the greatest music.   Unlistenable.   Horrible. 

Today I was painting my laundry room with the Sirius classic channel playing, and that total and complete dogshit "Whiskey Bar" song came on, and I climbed down the fucking ladder to change the channel.  

one of you fucks will come along and say "Riders on the Storm" is great.  You're wrong.  It fucking sucks too.  They didn't do a single thing worth a shit.   Jim Morrison was a waste of perfectly good heroin.  And I fucking hate heroin.  

You don’t like The Doors?

19 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

No sir, You.... YOU SUCK !  

Have a nice day now, I'm off to listen to some Doors.....

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, Gil Bang said:

Don't sugarcoat it.  Tell us how you really feel.

They have a passable catalog as long as you realize they were nothing more than a teenybopper band.  Had some decent pop songs, but their "dark" stuff was laughable primarily due to the sophomoric lyrics of the "tortured" Morrison.  Just some undergrad doofuses desperately trying to be profound.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, Gil Bang said:

You are wrong in every way and you should be ashamed of yourself.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

He probably thinks Phlgem was a bad poster...  I'm reading the posts up thread, and all I can say is y'all are some bad taste, sniveling, little pups.  But I get it, it's all personal taste.

Ya'll are the reason there was Boyz II Men, Menudo ...............Journey.......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

You're still waiting each year for Morrison to show up to the UCLA alumni banquet, aren't you?  

I don't know why I found this odd, but of course surly has been sending me down some music rabbit holes lately, but I was surprised at how little of the Doors catalog was written by Manzarek.  The way I remembered it, he was much more prominent in their sound and production.  It was actually Krieger that wrote the most after Morrison.  Just found that curious.  

Also, their badge of honor of not having a bass guitar to keep them grounded is largely bullshit.  They just traded around for session bassists on each album.  

Just now, Lobo said:

You're still waiting each year for Morrison to show up to the UCLA alumni banquet, aren't you?  

I don't know why I found this odd, but of course surly has been sending me down some music rabbit holes lately, but I was surprised at how little of the Doors catalog was written by Manzarek.  The way I remembered it, he was much more prominent in their sound and production.  It was actually Krieger that wrote the most after Morrison.  Just found that curious.  

Also, their badge of honor of not having a bass guitar to keep them grounded is largely bullshit.  They just traded around for session bassists on each album.  

Just illustrates how easily a guy playing four strings can be replaced.

Oh yeah, well about my FIVE string bass guitar, huh?  Some bassists really do sculpt the sound of their bands.  John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney, Johnathan Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee.  Others are tremendous musicians who are just that, and could be replaced by any number of session players.  I don't want to start a debate on that on this thread, but yeah---to your point, the Doors had bass guitarists but nobody remembers them.  

I don't mean to pick on him, but I can because I acknowledged his songwriting prowess above, but I remember seeing Robby Krieger at Poplar Creek Music Theater outside Chicago in 1991 at an event literally called "5 for $5"  I know that sounds like a great deal at Taco Bell, but this was a really good lineup for a kid my age who was heavy into Classic Rock at that point in his life.  It was Robby Krieger, John Kay, Dave Mason, Arlo Guthrie, and then Three Dog Night who would play any Chicago suburb's summer festival for $500 and beer.  They'd all play some of their own songs and then jam together intermittently.  That much classic/folk rock history for $5 was a great deal for a kid my age.  But I remember thinking how can the Doors guitarist be playing for $5 (I didn't understand how concert finances worked back then).  But look at Krieger's songwriting credentials.  He gave so much great music to the world and then just sorta stopped and not because of a woman, or a drug problem, or money.  He just kinda stopped.  Sorta bums me out to think about.  

Anyway, if you didn't have the doors band logo written out on one of your notebooks in junior high...you didn't live in America in the 1980's/1990's. Hell, I could still probably write it correctly just from muscle memory 25 years ago.

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He probably thinks Phlgem was a bad poster...  I'm reading the posts up thread, and all I can say is y'all are some bad taste, sniveling, little pups.  But I get it, it's all personal taste.

Ya'll are the reason there was Boyz II Men, Menudo ...............Journey.......

The fuck is wrong with Boyz II Men? I would listen to a solo record from the guy who sang bass in Boyz II Men before I put on another Doors record. 

I would rather listen to Extreme’s “More Than Words” on repeat for a month than have to hear Jim Morrison’s shitty lyrics and warbly voice and that goddamn organ for another second. Not that there’s anything wrong with a good organ, but fuck Ray Manzarek.

4 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I would rather listen to Extreme’s “More Than Words” on repeat for a month than have to hear Jim Morrison’s shitty lyrics and warbly voice and that goddamn organ for another second. Not that there’s anything wrong with a good organ, but fuck Ray Manzarek.

Hey brah, we all have our crosses to bear.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:12 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

They have a passable catalog as long as you realize they were nothing more than a teenybopper band.  Had some decent pop songs, but their "dark" stuff was laughable primarily due to the sophomoric lyrics of the "tortured" Morrison.  Just some undergrad doofuses desperately trying to be profound.

I think the "undergrad doofuses desperately trying to be profound" bit is open for debate, and as much as I enjoyed The Doors for a period of my life, I often thought Jim Morrison was trying too hard at times.

But they were hardly a teenybopper band.  They were more countercultural than you give them credit for.  I understand you don't dig them, but it's not like they were The Archies or The Monkees.  Or even The Beach Boys. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never said I didn't dig them.  I own the catalog.  But I also don't think they were quite as countercultural as you might give them credit for.  They were an LA glam version of the true San Fran counterculture.  Did they come up against the "establishment" because their stupefied lead singer resorted to elementary displays of "shocking" behavior in very public venues?  Yes, but not because they were saying anything of import to the times like many of their contemporaries.  They appeared on many a teen girls wall.  Here's a shot of an article from 16 Magazine from 1968 about a "Dream Day" with Jim.

16mag68jimmorrison.jpg

Again, just one person's opinion, but they were not as dark and disturbing as the legend would imply.  They were a proto-goth band that used bad poetry recited by an itinerant drunk over heavy grooves to sell records to the masses.  No harm in that.  But they are more Alice Cooper and Kiss than Slayer or Mayhem.  I suspect the only reason Jim didn't wear corpse paint on his face is because Rimbaud never did.

13 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Again, just one person's opinion, but they were not as dark and disturbing as the legend would imply.  They were a proto-goth band that used bad poetry recited by an itinerant drunk over heavy grooves to sell records to the masses.  No harm in that.  But they are more Alice Cooper and Kiss than Slayer or Mayhem.  I suspect the only reason Jim didn't wear corpse paint on his face is because Rimbaud never did.

Not an unfair take, but even that follow up is a far cry from the "nothing more than a teenybopper band" label you chose.  That was my only issue with your post.  The Doors were more than that, but less than the mysterious-poetic-shaman-in-another-stratosphere persona that Jim was going for.

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d rather listen to the Doors than the Beatles, Stones, The Who, and Bob Dylan. Not saying they’re musically better but they’re a better listen.

I am going to respectfully disagree with this take.

the doors have always been an average band with a few great songs. the fact that jim morrison had sex appeal and was a drunk are the only things that made them controversial. i don't know why people feel the need to call them the most overrated band of all time...there are very few people on the other side of the argument. somewhere along the line it became cool to say that jim morrison was an overrated hack and act like it's a great epiphany...probably started by dudes jealous that he was the "bad boy" on their girlfriend's wall. 

• Like 1

They had a very brief window of being legitimately cool with a handful of songs, but have been incredibly worn out for ages. They are one of the main reasons that classic rock radio and satellite channels are mostly unlistenable.

Edited by DougO

image.png.13536c1bdd53fbf5ceec4c471291541d.png

The movie sucked, but the best song on this soundtrack by a fucking country mile is "Heroin" by the Velvet Underground which pretty much says it all. If your best songs are upstaged by another act in a secondary scene...you maybe weren't that good.

I'm 50 and grew up in the shadow of the Doors' "mystique." In the mid-80s the kids who were enraptured with Morrison/Doors were very similar (at Westwood High School, at least): burgeoning stoners who were looking for "deep" music. They were all toting 'No One Gets Out of Here Alive' and couldn't decide if he was murdered for being too controversial or still alive & planning to shock the world with his return.

My opinion (which is barely worth a cup of joe) is every once in a while Riders on the Storm or LA Woman sounds good & I want to turn it up loud. But Morrison was basically the guy you meet at a party for the first time & in the first 5 minutes he says something witty or thoughtful that catches your ear. Ten minutes later you discover he's a drunken boob & you would pay anything to get out of the room.

Yeah, that shouldn't have been the hit that it was.  Literally one of their worst songs.  

Morrison Hotel is holding up better than I thought though.  That's all I got.  

And Ray Manzarek is more of a 3-key wonder than I thought.