Let's discuss "The Doors"

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

It does.  I bet a lot of the posters who don't like The Doors probably think Alice in chains is a good band.  

Personal preferences and all, but not liking the doors is like taking an IQ test.  When you answer certain questions correctly you jump ahead one or two questions. Answer it wrong and it's what's 2 + 2 or whats your favorite color type questions from there on out.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:23 PM, PRONG HORN said:

It does.  I bet a lot of the posters who don't like The Doors probably think Alice in chains is a good band.  

Is this supposed to offend somebody? Like I need to reevaluate my choices in music because I pick Alice in Chains over the Doors?

• Like 2

I haven't read a single reply to this thread, so take that into account.

I view the Doors as a band that is greater than the sum of their individual parts.  I think people often get too hung up on how proficient musicians are and forget to listen to them as a whole, as a feeling.  I think the Doors are a good band when viewed that way.  Not great, but good...and certainly on the forefront of what was too come.  I mean, listen to The End and there isn't many of their peers producing music like that.  Not many would until 10 years later.  Yeah, the guitar work was pretty week, and yeah the vocals and lyrics could have been better or less self absorbed, but taken as a whole, they were unique and important in the history of rock music. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I had to choose one hundred tracks as a general proposition, the Doors wouldn't be among them.  If you add the variable "to accompany a beach weekend with a nubile young lady who's horny for you and vice versa," Doors music would be there in the top 50 a couple of times at least.

It's about what mood you're in and the occasion, and your age when first introduced to their music.  I'm 68.  That's why Baskin-Robbins has 32 flavors.  

Some Doors lyrics are right on the money: "Don't you love her as she's walking out the door?"

Edited by Bama Llama
Closing quote

On 6/14/2020 at 8:01 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, the guitar work was pretty week . . . but taken as a whole, they were unique and important in the history of rock music. 

I always thought Krieger didn't get enough credit myself.  He was no virtuoso, but his playing fit that band & their songs.

I agree with your last sentence.   I don't love the Doors, but I like them.  Quite a few good songs.  The first album is a classic, as is LA Woman, and Strange Days is an underrated second album.  I can overlook Morrison's pretentious leanings toward poetry.  Some can't, and that's okay, too.

Edited by Carl Spackler