Speaker repair

Let me first say that I am no audiophile and know next to nothing about speakers or stereo systems in general.

I have two tower speakers (wet sounds rev10) on my boat that the rubber ring around the perimeter of each speaker has developed cracks in the rubber. They are about 5 years old. The speakers still sound great to my ear, but this can’t be good. The rubber is still very pliable and not brittle, just these slots in rubber around perimeter band of each speaker. After googling it seems there are speaker repair options. Should I have these repaired or just replace at 1700/pair? Found a guy that will do it for 150/ea. The speakers are pushed to max amps and sound crystal clear still and loud as fuck.

6b84a4431f815abd23df2937f517aa24.jpg

Let me first say that I am no audiophile and know next to nothing about speakers or stereo systems in general.

I have two tower speakers (wet sounds rev10) on my boat that the rubber ring around the perimeter of each speaker has developed cracks in the rubber. They are about 5 years old. The speakers still sound great to my ear, but this can’t be good. The rubber is still very pliable and not brittle, just these slots in rubber around perimeter band of each speaker. After googling it seems there are speaker repair options. Should I have these repaired or just replace at 1700/pair? Found a guy that will do it for 150/ea. The speakers are pushed to max amps and sound crystal clear still and loud as fuck.
6b84a4431f815abd23df2937f517aa24.jpg

Noticed the same thing on my wetsounds speakers a few weeks back. Let me know if you are pleased if you get them repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have y’all talked to Wetsounds ? They are supposed to be pretty good about standing behind their product

Way outside 2 year warranty. The speakers/stereo were separate purchase after the boat. I have invoice for system, but I don’t want to complain because I am very happy with it except for this.

If the surround still is pliable, try this.  Under $10 on Amazon.  Otherwise, they make speaker surround replacement kits for not a lot of $$.
51m2nvfyxqL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Thanks, but I went ahead and took them to get repaired. Will report back once I get them back and test out.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Texaus said:

I’m sure I’m paying a premium, But I don’t want to fuck them up. Also, they are marine speakers so it is not really foam, but some sort of reinforced rubber.

Butyl is still $30 of materials.  https://www.amazon.com/Butyl-Rubber-Speaker-Surround-Repair/dp/B00J7XNCNS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=butyl+speaker+cone+repair+kit&qid=1592489097&sr=8-1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed the same thing on my wetsounds speakers a few weeks back. Let me know if you are pleased if you get them repaired.

Had them repaired. Took about two weeks. They look and sound good during test hook up. Haven’t put them back in boat yet.
3bbd87f26b1974f470a99a686dc28ffe.jpg
  • Like 1