using stats to show black people have it better than white people

Turkleton

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s what you need to know: there are tens of millions of Turkletons in America. His may be the majority white view.

I can't decide if I am more dismayed about the the racism displayed by the Turletons in this country, or the galactic levels of retardation that always seem to accompany the racism. He is probably too fucking stupid to fix. 

• Like 1

Not even close. 

My FB feed would say otherwise. I remain friends with a lot of folks on the conservative side...and see how their peers think. I still follow Jerry Patterson (disagree on many things, but he’s a generally good guy)...and holy shit, the kajillion haters he has...

Note that I say may be majority white view. Not a large majority, but it may well be over 50%. At the very least, it’s far from being a fringe view among white folks.

9 hours ago, Turkleton said:

I know this won't go over very well to the biggest race-baiter of Surly, Pancho. But I always like to  throw reality at these little things.....

Since I'm not really positive Turkleton is a real person I'm going to leave this here and go to bed.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My FB feed would say otherwise. I remain friends with a lot of folks on the conservative side...and see how their peers think. I still follow Jerry Patterson (disagree on many things, but he’s a generally good guy)...and holy shit, the kajillion haters he has...

Note that I say may be majority white view. Not a large majority, but it may well be over 50%. At the very least, it’s far from being a fringe view among white folks.

wrong.

it sounds good and supports your narrative, but is flatly incorrect.

Find a narrower brush, brother.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Not criticizing you personally, because I know it's pretty much engrained as an ideal to make us feel good about ourselves, but man I really have to come to hate that stupid boomer trope: "I don't see color."

It came from good intentions, but look around. That's the problem. Black people have been sounding the alarm on racism and brutality from the police for god knows how long. White people were/are largely content to dismiss that with "nah man I don't see color - ALL lives matter bro." It's important to be conscious of the difference in lived experience between races. It's important to have empathy. It's important to be able to admit that we, as a society, are not past racism.

Something like this is why. You want your kid to see color here. You want your kid to know what his teammate did was fucked up, because as jarring as it was for your kid to see it, that black kid probably gets it on a regular basis. You want your kid to call their teammate out for that.

I didn’t say I don’t see color I said my 7 year old doesn’t- which is completely true- and then I said I wonder when he will see it. 

I certainly see and am keenly aware of it. 

Our society gives kids plenty of information to draw conclusions from.  They'll answer questions for themselves that aren't explicitly answered for them.  Some study I saw said that by the age of 2 kids begin to use race to reason out people's behaviors.  By 30 months they begin to use race to choose playmates. And often times expressions of racial prejudice begin to peak by the age 4 or 5. At age 5 black and latino children in research settings show no preference towards their own groups, as compared to white children at this age, who are more likely to be strongly biased in favor of whiteness. And who can blame them? Every input they receive from society reinforces this worldview for them. By kindergarten, children show many of the same racial attitudes held by adults in our culture. They have already learned to associate groups with higher status than others. Talk to your kids about race. Don't allow this society to fill in the gaps for them. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Our society gives kids plenty of information to draw conclusions from.  They'll answer questions for themselves that aren't explicitly answered for them.  Some study I saw said that by the age of 2 kids begin to use race to reason out people's behaviors.  By 30 months they begin to use race to choose playmates. And often times expressions of racial prejudice begin to peak by the age 4 or 5. At age 5 black and latino children in research settings show no preference towards their own groups, as compared to white children at this age, who are more likely to be strongly biased in favor of whiteness. And who can blame them? Every input they receive from society reinforces this worldview for them. By kindergarten, children show many of the same racial attitudes held by adults in our culture. They have already learned to associate groups with higher status than others. Talk to your kids about race. Don't allow this society to fill in the gaps for them. 

Very curious about this study and would like to read it in it's entirety.

Any possible link, or what search words I could use to find it online?  Have tried several searches and I'm batting .000 so far.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is some fucked up shit on how our justice system treats blacks compared to whites.  Really fucked up.  

And then take that disparity and multiply by 5 and that’s your gender difference.  No one wants to talk about that. 

No fucking shit ! Men have it so hard in America....

9 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Since I'm not really positive Turkleton is a real person I'm going to leave this here and go to bed.

When the closet racists I have to deal with on a regular basis get wound up and whine about affirmative action, "diversity" metrics, etc. and how black people have it so good I always ask them if they want to trade places.  None of them ever do.

Why?

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s what you need to know: there are tens of millions of Turkletons in America. His may be the majority white view.

No there aren't and no it isn't.  Going the opposite direction with gerneral, racist broad brushstrokes is no way to go.

Edited by Cajun

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

By this metric, my FB feed shows that most Bernie supporters are criminals and anarchists.

I remain friends with a lot of folks on the Bernie Bro side.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

White straight men in America are the most sensitive group in history. 

ahh yes.  Achieve a more open mind by sucking dicks or taking it in the ass.

Scorekeeping is so fucking hilariously stupid.

25 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

When the closet racists I have to deal with on a regular basis get wound up and whine about affirmative action, "diversity" metrics, etc. and how black people have it so good I always ask them if they want to trade places.  None of them ever do.

Why?

Do you get to pick which black person you get to Quantum Leap into?

2017 2018 2019
  Black White Black White Black White
Killed by Police 223 457 209 399 235 370
Per Capita 0.00054% 0.00024% 0.00050% 0.00021% 0.00056% 0.00019%
% Black More Likely Killed 49% 52%

64%

Thanks for the info Turk!  Now we all have confirmation that blacks are twice as likely to be killed than whites AND its a growing problem.  That second part i didn't know.  

Edited by RollLeft

2 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Whose sock is Turkleton? No way he’s a random stranger to this community. 

I'm guessing Bash Riprock as he's the only poster who calls me a "race-baiter" which I still don't know what that means or what radical right wing folks think it means. 

Well and Dr. Beeper/Rex calls me that. 

I've been called worse--like a nigger. 

Kentah Gwanjez on Twitter: "Little house on the prairie 1977. Peep ...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:
  2017 2018 2019
  Black White Black White Black White
Killed by Police 223 457 209 399 235 370
Per Capita 0.00054% 0.00024% 0.00050% 0.00021% 0.00056% 0.00019%
% Black More Likely Killed 49% 52%

64%

Thanks for the info Turk!  Now we all have confirmation that blacks are twice as likely to be killed than whites AND its a growing problem.  That i didn't know.  

More info for Turk!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/african-americans-blamed-crimes-commit-experts/story?id=70906828

African Americans make up 49% of wrongful convictions since 1989, according to data collected by The National Registry of Exonerations (NRE). By contrast, 37% of whites and 12% of Hispanics were exonerated during the same time period.

According to a 2017 report from the NRE, black people were seven times more likely to be falsely convicted of murder than white people, three and a half times more likely to be innocent when accused of sexual assault because of misidentification (happened in half the cases) and 12 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted in drug cases.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TornACL said:

It's one thing to watch this garbage. It's another thing to think to oneself that this is somehow some brilliant thinkpiece that needs to be shared urgently with others. 

That is the thing that is most amazing about this thread.  Someone decided that an OAN video would be a good share on Surky in DT.  This is a heretofore unseen level of idiocy on Surly.