using stats to show black people have it better than white people

Turkleton

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. - Mark Twain. 

It’s a bit dated and uses language that would, at best, be considered racially insensitive by today’s standards, but the world would be a better place if everyone read and understood Darrell Huff’s How To Lie With Statistics.

Edited by Mole

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Well...  they do have that extra muscle...

Jimmy-The-Greek.jpg

i remember watching that presentation live on tv. my dad was all in, because he was an old school racist. i remember, i think i was 10 or something, it being the one of the first "waitaminute" moments about race that i had, growing up as a child of white privilege. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Workswithseed is nowhere near the same category as those.  He's a young dude, raised conservative, without much education or experience to fall back on to question some of the things he was brought up with.  He's a person of goodwill.

Not so sure about the rest of them.

ouch will ferrell GIF

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Well...  they do have that extra muscle...

Jimmy-The-Greek.jpg

Man, I remember that era.  You remember when Al Campanis stepped in it?  I do, because I got to exact some relatively immediate term retribution.  I had a buddy a year older than me who went to USC, and invited me to come visit him in LA over spring break.  We goofed off, drank beer, hung out on the beach, and went to a UCLA-USC baseball game at USC's stadium.  Attendance was light because of spring break, so you could sit pretty much where you wanted.

We wandered around, and found a row that looked good.  And I looked at the seats, and realized they were named after donors who sponsored seats.  And on our row was an Al Campanis seat.  I told my friend I was gonna sit there.  I did.  And I made every effort I could to fart on it during the game.  I mean, I didn't have to try very hard -- we'd been drinking a lot of SUPER cheap beer.  But the point is, I gassed the hell out of the Al Campanis seat, because racism.  It was among my first acts of protest against racism, using the gifts that the good lord gave me.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m just sitting over here, minding my own business, and then I see some race just sitting on the sidewalk. So obviously I run over to pick it up, but it keeps getting away. Turns out Pancho has that race on a hook tied to a fishing pole and keeps pulling it away from me. Then I fall down and split my pants and everyone laughs at me. All because Pancho is a god damn race baiter. 

The only true Baiter.....spacer.png

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I'd love to hear Johnny Sack's thoughts on why the gender disparity in the American criminal justice system exists.

he only breaks it out as a whataboutism, so don't expect to get a real discussion.

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

he only breaks it out as a whataboutism, so don't expect to get a real discussion.

Johnny is using gender disparity to imply that black people have more problems with police because they're more likely to be criminals.

according to Johnny sack, black males are more likely to be arrested because there are fewer of them than females, as more black males are incarcerated or dying at a young age.  

Oh wait, his math doesn't add up.  As usual.  In 20 years of wealth management and private equity investing, it's been my deep experience that trust fund white people end up being so fucking awful at math.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

according to Johnny sack, black males are more likely to be arrested because there are fewer of them than females, as more black males are incarcerated or dying at a young age.  

Oh wait, his math doesn't add up.  As usual.  In 20 years of wealth management and private equity investing, it's been my deep experience that trust fund white people end up being so fucking awful at math.  

It's because they have people for that. 

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I bet Trump murded some hamberders today.

Nope, he's holding out to get to Dallas where he can have some well-done brisket with ketchup.  Then finally, the morons of Texas will finally see him for what he truly is---an overcooked monster. 

^

now do covid19 stats.  

Per Capita.  why doesn't it surprise me that this simple mathematical concept that evades Trump is also completely lost on his followers.  ?

16 hours ago, Blotto said:

I can't decide if I am more dismayed about the the racism displayed by the Turletons in this country, or the galactic levels of retardation that always seem to accompany the racism. He is probably too fucking stupid to fix. 

Well no one serious ever suggested that racism was in any way associated with some sort of lofty intellectual discipline, so yeah that seems to register in the “accurate” category.

Holy heck. I step out to take care of yard work and return to today's weird reality of one thread whose subject is removing Confederate statues, throwing them in the garbage while trying not to get crushed and another thread whose subject is how black people are better off than whites and it's women's fault.

Sigh.

When there is a thread advocating for kilts for men and yoga pants for women while all genders (choose your own identification, I am cool with that) are under the age of 40 and another thread advocating for free cocktails and beer for the over 40 crowd every evening at five o'clock nationwide but no one can have the television on or social media devices activated I am on board.

8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Very curious about this study and would like to read it in it's entirety.

Any possible link, or what search words I could use to find it online?  Have tried several searches and I'm batting .000 so far.

Thanks

https://www.cell.com/trends/cognitive-sciences/fulltext/S1364-6613(08)00134-4?_returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1364661308001344%3Fshowall%3Dtrue&cc=y%3D

This New York times article references a few others. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/opinion/sunday/how-kids-learn-prejudice.html?_r=0

Here's another

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3241011/

And another. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3083924/

• Like 1

What is a group of per capitas called, anyway?  Like a Flock of Geese or a Den of Lions?  Or is like Attorneys General and you say Pers Capita?  

I love that he's teaching his base all these new words/terms but completely fucking them up on the explanation side like Anchorman.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think most 7 year olds see color. I think around 5 or so it hits you, especially if parents make any comments about race or only associate with friends of their race. 

I haven’t checked in with him I’m a year. Last year he told me his kindergarten friend who is black looked just like his white cousin. I think they had the same shoes and shirt. Made them twins in his mind. Maybe he notices the difference now. 

As someone who went through the training, hiring, and socialization of a career in law enforcement, I wanted to give a first-hand account of why I believe police officers are the way they are. Not to excuse their behavior, but to explain it and to indict the structures that perpetuate it.

interesting read ...

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

... comments are worth reading, also.

I don't remember it happening live, just remember word getting out about his comment and that there was video of that interview and CBS canning him and Musberger apologizing for it the following Sunday on NFL Today.  

Caught the Campanis interview live as I watched Nightline quite often back then.  

Edited by Underdog

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I can remember that happening, and just sitting there saying to my cousin..."  did he really just fucking say that ? !"  

No doubt, except I just just verbalized out loud "wtf" even though I was alone,