I got one of them fancy copper pans

closetohumping

Copper is a pain in the ass. I can see an expert wanting some copper pots for sauces because there is no more precise a piece of cookware when it comes to temperature control. But for most of us, it's just a delicate pain in the ass to keep in good condition and looking pretty. The real stuff is lined with tin and is easily scratched. It's going to stick unless you are a wizard with controlling temperature, and even then it probably will stick. If you're rough on it, it will need to be re-tined sooner or later.

27 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Copper is a pain in the ass. I can see an expert wanting some copper pots for sauces because there is no more precise a piece of cookware when it comes to temperature control. But for most of us, it's just a delicate pain in the ass to keep in good condition and looking pretty. The real stuff is lined with tin and is easily scratched. It's going to stick unless you are a wizard with controlling temperature, and even then it probably will stick. If you're rough on it, it will need to be re-tined sooner or later.

Just gonna buy a new pan.  Non copper

I'm thinking you don't have the REAL copper, just one with the copper color?  They need to be re-sealed every 5 or 6 months.  Coat with veg oil, stick in oven for something like 400 for 45 minutes or something like that.  Instructions are available on the web.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

No shit, copper is a pain. 

Unless you have a domestic staff who can take care of the copper stuff (and re-tin them) don't get it.  Looking at you, Lord Grantham. 

As far as precise temperature control? Ok, but who really needs it? I don't. Maybe there are a lot who are better cooks who do. 

I like cast iron but it's no bueno for acidic stuff (tomato sauces, etc.) 

Check out Marshalls or TJMaxx for good stuff that's cheap(er). I like the enamel over cast iron stuff. Or you can get the cheaper non-stick stuff and replace it every 3 years. If you want to put the pot/pan in the oven be sure that what you get can do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

My son was looking at Hexclad pans. I've never heard of them but they seem to me to be like All Clad. 

Probably a bit overpriced, but pretty high quality and should last a lifetime. 

No copper in my kitchen.  For reasonably priced tri-ply stainless, also look at Cuisinart Multiclad Pro.  I've got the more expensive made in France (vs. China) version and it's excellent, easy on the eyes, and way cheaper than All Clad. 

But stainless isn't necessarily nonstick either. 

4 hours ago, Asithappens said:

No shit, copper is a pain. 

Unless you have a domestic staff who can take care of the copper stuff (and re-tin them) don't get it.  Looking at you, Lord Grantham. 

As far as precise temperature control? Ok, but who really needs it? I don't. Maybe there are a lot who are better cooks who do. 

I like cast iron but it's no bueno for acidic stuff (tomato sauces, etc.) 

Check out Marshalls or TJMaxx for good stuff that's cheap(er). I like the enamel over cast iron stuff. Or you can get the cheaper non-stick stuff and replace it every 3 years. If you want to put the pot/pan in the oven be sure that what you get can do that.

le creuset stuff is expensive but as far as... expensive ass things I bought, I do not regret buying a big orange le creuset skillet 13 years ago. That and my chef's knife were my first two kitchen purchases and I still use them every week.

• Like 1

le creuset stuff is expensive but as far as... expensive ass things I bought, I do not regret buying a big orange le creuset skillet 13 years ago.

I have a yellow one. That color was half the regular price on Amazon 10 years ago. I use it for everything except eggs.