The CHAZ

workswithseed

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There is some serious selection bias going on there. Nigerians with the means to immigrate here are going to come from the very top of their society. You think wealth inequality is bad here (well you probably don’t but never mind that) Nigeria takes it to the extreme. So those that get here are already at a huge advantage compared to their less fortunate countrymen. 

Absolutely spot on. 

Also, not being poor in America is pretty simple conceptually- don’t do poor people things- do middle class people things and you can become middle class. 

In practice though how the fuck do you teach someone with no modeling and support system to do middle class things? My wife is from a rural area in Texas with a ton of poor white people- it doesn’t look much different with choices and outcomes than in disadvantaged urban areas. No solid parenting. No infrastructure. No modeling of positive behaviors to help avoid actively bad outcomes. 

The racism that exists here is more prevalent than I’d have imagined say, 5 years ago but I don’t think it’s dispositive or the reason for bad outcomes based upon skin color as the Nigerian group shows. They are the cream of the crop that have come over here and they have educated, intact family homes and infrastructure that many (most?- I don’t honestly know the numbers) American born blacks don’t have. 

And that’s of course a historical legacy from Jim Crow and slavery, but more problematic was the decimation of the American born black family that started to really get ugly in the 1960’s. 

I have zero fucking clue how any of it gets solved. I mean- societally in large numbers. On an individual case by case basis I don’t think it’s probably all that complicated. Mentors. People actively engaged in helping model and provide social contacts for upward movement. But precious few people probably have the time or inclination for that, and truly I don’t know how you go about doing that without the thought you are taking down to or condescending to the target of help- is it wanted and appreciated?  

The. Iberians essentially bring a plug and play support system to America that enables success that’s not replicated through communities. 

If it’s any comfort to people who want to hand waive away the black experience as not being indicative of racism in America I think solving the same problem for poor kids of meth addled losers in bumfuck Mississippi is equally hopeless, so there’s that. 

My dream someday is to have an 8 figure net worth that throws off $1,000,000 or so a year and give all that money away- 20k at a time, in an investment and mentorship targeted kind of way. After my kids are gone and that race is done. But even that’s just throwing starfish back in the water on the beach. 

I don’t think there’s any other way that works. It’s hard and messy and time consuming. We don’t do that well around here. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

It'll kill more hippies than shampoo.

That's honestly a lot better than some of the shit I've heard within that genre. I mean the lyrics and the guitar solo are pretty awful but the song has decent structure and rhythm to it.

22 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Guys, this thread is about Chaz.

If you want to discuss fixing the police or racism please create a new thread.

Sorry. My fault. I love the Chaz. Responded and got down a rabbit hole. Long line CHAZ and better yet Chaz 2.0. I hope we some day (like tomorrow morning maybe) see the line of demarcation like north and South Korea. Then we can send Rodman in to see if he can’t fix it up and make it CHAZ again. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely spot on. 

Also, not being poor in America is pretty simple conceptually- don’t do poor people things- do middle class people things and you can become middle class. 

In practice though how the fuck do you teach someone with no modeling and support system to do middle class things? My wife is from a rural area in Texas with a ton of poor white people- it doesn’t look much different with choices and outcomes than in disadvantaged urban areas. No solid parenting. No infrastructure. No modeling of positive behaviors to help avoid actively bad outcomes. 

The racism that exists here is more prevalent than I’d have imagined say, 5 years ago but I don’t think it’s dispositive or the reason for bad outcomes based upon skin color as the Nigerian group shows. They are the cream of the crop that have come over here and they have educated, intact family homes and infrastructure that many (most?- I don’t honestly know the numbers) American born blacks don’t have. 

And that’s of course a historical legacy from Jim Crow and slavery, but more problematic was the decimation of the American born black family that started to really get ugly in the 1960’s. 

I have zero fucking clue how any of it gets solved. I mean- societally in large numbers. On an individual case by case basis I don’t think it’s probably all that complicated. Mentors. People actively engaged in helping model and provide social contacts for upward movement. But precious few people probably have the time or inclination for that, and truly I don’t know how you go about doing that without the thought you are taking down to or condescending to the target of help- is it wanted and appreciated?  

The. Iberians essentially bring a plug and play support system to America that enables success that’s not replicated through communities. 

If it’s any comfort to people who want to hand waive away the black experience as not being indicative of racism in America I think solving the same problem for poor kids of meth addled losers in bumfuck Mississippi is equally hopeless, so there’s that. 

My dream someday is to have an 8 figure net worth that throws off $1,000,000 or so a year and give all that money away- 20k at a time, in an investment and mentorship targeted kind of way. After my kids are gone and that race is done. But even that’s just throwing starfish back in the water on the beach. 

I don’t think there’s any other way that works. It’s hard and messy and time consuming. We don’t do that well around here. 

Your post reminds me of something about Nigerian culture I observed from living there for six years.  They have the strongest family ties you can ever imagine.  I don't want to speak on their behalf, but pretty sure it goes back to their tribalism roots which still run deep in Nigeria to the detriment of a lot of citizens. 

There were a lot of things about Nigeria that most people don't know about that I absolutely loved.  If they could ever get their shit together they have abundant natural resources to build the infrastructure and establish a rule of law to make it one of the best places on earth.  Resources, climate, a society that really values education (at least those that can obtain it), close family values, etc.  Seriously, if they ever got their shit together I would retire there in a heartbeat.  Problem is that will probably never happen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Ok, I'll make it simpler for people who feel their posts aren't part of the two threads sidetracking this thread.

If you want to discuss other shit please create a new thread.

Ok, that's cool.

To be honest, I just clicked on notifications where the latest one took me to Wulaw's post and I responded to it.  I didn't see your earlier post talking about keeping it on subject before replying to him.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1

It's basically a political block party, I just hope the purpose stays focused and doesn't fracture.

It's funny/sad/expected seeing the mixed views online both local and across the country. The Seattle sub reddit is updating things on a minute by minute basis by people there, both severely active politically and by younger people just passing through.

Silent protest in Seattle today had a massive turn out too. Proud of my city21f785386c95c555b0bd9e55aa897f1d.jpg0b228b361584cb19193fc701c8aae39d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

It's basically a political block party, I just hope the purpose stays focused and doesn't fracture.

It's funny/sad/expected seeing the mixed views online both local and across the country. The Seattle sub reddit is updating things on a minute by minute basis by people there, both severely active politically and by younger people just passing through.

Silent protest in Seattle today had a massive turn out too. Proud of my city21f785386c95c555b0bd9e55aa897f1d.jpg0b228b361584cb19193fc701c8aae39d.jpg

Count how many black folks are in that photo and get bad to us.   

12 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Umm isn't that the point emoji23.png

Actually it kinda was. Your post was front and center about not fracturing, then had BLM Images followed by a bunch of white people.  

im from Seattle and you can’t find that much of a white only crowd anywhere.  

wake up.   

Edited by SDG

Actually it kinda was. Your post was front and center about not fracturing, then had BLM Images followed by a bunch of white people.  
im from Seattle and you can’t find that much of a white only crowd anywhere.  

wake up.   
DM incoming to not CR this post

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Maybe a anarcho-syndicalist commune.  They could take turns acting as sort of an executive officer for the week.  But all of the decision of that officer have to be ratified at special biweekly meeting.

You're foolin' yourself....

Gimme a gossamer clad lady in a lake handing out swords any day...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SDG said:

Be cognizant of the source but funny anyway.   Segregation is now good...

Lulz, "Plant allies"

It's unbelievable people like this actually exist and take this seriously. "These inanimate objects are our friends guys."

Edited by MillerEP

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fascinating that there are different levels of success between two black populations (Nigerians and native-born African Americans).  I wonder what possible explanations there could be?  Could the history and generational issues the disparate groups have experienced have had any effect?

Slavery, Jim Crow, and institutionalized racism have a LONG tail.  Recent immigrants have only had to deal with the remaining tail.  That's a much easier hill to climb.  I mean, ther are literally books that have analyzed much of this.  It's why recent immigrants of almost any type do better than even their predecessors of the same race.  We aren't as shitty racist as we used to be, so the path is a lot clearer for folks just now startin

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You're foolin' yourself....

Gimme a gossamer clad lady in a lake handing out swords any day...

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, SDG said:

Be cognizant of the source but funny anyway.   Segregation is now good...

That garden looks like my garden when I had no idea how to make a garden, then I left town for two weeks and everything died.  I don't understand the card board.  Is that to keep the fresh dirt from co mingling with the old dirt?  

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

That garden looks like my garden when I had no idea how to make a garden, then I left town for two weeks and everything died.  I don't understand the card board.  Is that to keep the fresh dirt from co mingling with the old dirt?  

I always thought the origins of idiocracy would spring from the plains of Oklahoma but the bowels of the Pacific Northwest will apparently play a part.

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The cardboard is a barrier from the grass just coming up into the garden. It'll also hold water in longer than the dirt. 

58 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Lulz, "Plant allies"

It's unbelievable people like this actually exist and take this seriously. "These inanimate objects are our friends guys."

Yeah it’s not like they get fetishized like guns or cars. That would be weird! 

17 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Ok that makes sense.  But is an inch of dirt enough to grow anything?

Yeah, that one is gonna be hard, especially since there is a porous barrier if they have too heavy of water or rain the dirt will just escape.

Now that I think about it, it'd been easier to just put them in pots. Shred the cardboard and mix it in with the dirt.

Edited by workswithseed

So if this fails, it won't be white man's downfall.

"We hold a community democratic vote to appoint three people to the Council. To eliminate prejudice, we elect one Black man, one Black woman, and one white woman. Each person should undergo at least one 45 minute sensitivity and political training session which we can help organize."

i read further. Oh my.

Edited by workswithseed
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xian said:

I refuse to believe this is real. I mean. Come on. Plant allies?  

is there another source?

I don’t; read my post and think of it as satire like 50%+ of the post in this thread.  

51 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Looks like the Longhorn Band May get a new twirler.  

When even your own wiki article states you’re an alt-right troll, then I’m going to assume you’re twisting everything to meet that ‘standard’.  But keep fucking that chickensandwhich