The CHAZ

workswithseed

I haven’t paid any attention to this chaz thing until yesterday. WTF? WTF is the city of Seattle doing? Why are they allowing this bullshit? There has to be a part of the story I don’t understand. This is one of most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

So according to that NYPost article they have a white garden and a blacks/indigenous people only garden?  Segregation is so woke!

Like I said on a thread in the CR, the quest for “Cosmic Justice” will eventually lead down a road of moral fascism.  

• Like 1

So is the plan to let them kill each other off and then reclaim the area once Lord of the Flies has run its course?

What about ordinary people who own businesses or other property in the CHOP zone? I would be pissed that the city is allowing this to continue.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

So is the plan to let them kill each other off and then reclaim the area once Lord of the Flies has run its course?

What about ordinary people who own businesses or other property in the CHOP zone? I would be pissed that the city is allowing this to continue.

ordinary people?  i don't think they exist anymore. I was told this area is a bohemian paradise normally.  we should probably compare normal killings in CHOP zone area vs same time frame killings now, right?

If you read the article uluk posted a couple posts up from mine it talks a bit about the businesses and residents who own property there. There are a lot, and essentially the nights are really rough.

Just now, MillerEP said:

If you read the article uluk posted a couple posts up from mine it talks a bit about the businesses and residents who own property there. There are a lot, and essentially the nights are really rough.

I can't imagine.  Especially if there is a need for the police of fire departments/EMS.  They won't/can't get in there from what I heard?  Hopefully this is a mistake.  

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I haven’t paid any attention to this chaz thing until yesterday. WTF? WTF is the city of Seattle doing? Why are they allowing this bullshit? There has to be a part of the story I don’t understand. This is one of most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen.

It’s Seattle. The CR of the pacific NW of course they are allowing it 

22 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

These people don't care about "ordinary" people or businesses.  The first thing that happened was a strongman came in and took control of all enforcement to his arbitrary standards.  The next thing is they went to business owners and told them that they had to pay $500 a week for "protection".  Oh and don't forget about the "unplanned" donations.

This is what happens in 3rd world countries.  Power vacuum is filled, the leaders of the group filling it are enriched.  Sure there are some altruistic people who are there but they are sheep.  They bring "legitimacy" to the cause because if it was just a bunch of warlords the police/army would move in and take back the city.  The loudest voices and biggest biceps are being given autonomy because they hide behind the causes the altruistic people want to champion.  This happens ALL OVER AFRICA ALL THE TIME.  Africa is not in great shape relative to the US.  If this was a country that was not friendly to the USA then we would have moved in an killed everyone holding a gun.  We haven't because this is on american soil. 

I didn't realize how many people lived in the area.  I think I saw 30k residents which is massive.  I be Erik Prince is shining his bayonet wondering when a coalition of business owners, landlords, and residents will ring his doorbell asking for the blackwater boys to come through and clear out the place.  Wouldn't that be something to behold... mercenaries killing warlords on US soil to hand a territory back to the US government.

• Like 6

Those unfortunate enough to have homes or businesses within the CHAZ — an estimated 30,000 residents — have no say over their new overlords. Residents have discreetly voiced their concerns to local media. Gunshots and “screams of terror” at night have been reported. A resident of an apartment building came out twice to ask protesters to leave the alley where the entrance is. They brushed him off.

It’s hard to believe this is real and that it’s being allowed to persist inside a major U.S. city. Thousands of people living in a zone that is basically inaccessible to police, fire, and EMS, and is now being governed and policed by anarchists. Businesses ruined and the value of property has surely plummeted.

Is there any plan to regain control of this area or does Seattle intend to let it continue indefinitely? How long do you let people conduct a small scale revolution within our country before you shut it down?

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

It’s hard to believe this is real and that it’s being allowed to persist inside a major U.S. city. Thousands of people living in a zone that is basically inaccessible to police, fire, and EMS, and is now being governed and policed by anarchists. Businesses ruined and the value of property has surely plummeted.

Is there any plan to regain control of this area or does Seattle intend to let it continue indefinitely? How long do you let people conduct a small scale revolution within our country before you shut it down?

Crazy that the anarchists are unable to see the irony in them governing the anarchist state.  You'd think that would be enough to get at least 10k of the residents to march down the streets and drive the leadership out.

Living in Tulsa, I full on expected this to happen here with the Trump rally (no politics).  I live in the area that would be ground zero for this kind of activity.  I would not be giving up my property and rights as easily as people in seattle did.

8 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

why would you end a block party?  just good old fashioned american fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Crazy that the anarchists are unable to see the irony in them governing the anarchist state.  You'd think that would be enough to get at least 10k of the residents to march down the streets and drive the leadership out.

Living in Tulsa, I full on expected this to happen here with the Trump rally (no politics).  I live in the area that would be ground zero for this kind of activity.  I would not be giving up my property and rights as easily as people in seattle did.

here's the interesting thing.  if your business is allowed to stay open and/or you are not being forced from your home are your rights being violated or your property being taken?   the sidewalks/roads/etc are public.  just because no one can get to your store(or don't feel safe going to it from outside) or you don't feel safe going out of your house does that mean rights/property have been violated?

can you sue the city or state?  what legal recourse do you have?

18 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The conspiratorial part of my brain wonder is this is a land grab by the city?  Whole area is going to implode.  Biz and people move out, etc.  Then who swoops in and buy for pennies on the dollar?  

These people don't care about "ordinary" people or businesses.  The first thing that happened was a strongman came in and took control of all enforcement to his arbitrary standards.  The next thing is they went to business owners and told them that they had to pay $500 a week for "protection".  Oh and don't forget about the "unplanned" donations.
This is what happens in 3rd world countries.  Power vacuum is filled, the leaders of the group filling it are enriched.  Sure there are some altruistic people who are there but they are sheep.  They bring "legitimacy" to the cause because if it was just a bunch of warlords the police/army would move in and take back the city.  The loudest voices and biggest biceps are being given autonomy because they hide behind the causes the altruistic people want to champion.  This happens ALL OVER AFRICA ALL THE TIME.  Africa is not in great shape relative to the US.  If this was a country that was not friendly to the USA then we would have moved in an killed everyone holding a gun.  We haven't because this is on american soil. 
I didn't realize how many people lived in the area.  I think I saw 30k residents which is massive.  I be Erik Prince is shining his bayonet wondering when a coalition of business owners, landlords, and residents will ring his doorbell asking for the blackwater boys to come through and clear out the place.  Wouldn't that be something to behold... mercenaries killing warlords on US soil to hand a territory back to the US government.
this is also how some of the greatest cities in America were run in the recent past... let's be real.

NYC, CHI, PHI, MIA, DET, LAS, etc...

this is not something learned from Africa and "3rd World Countries".

This behavior was prime during the time America was being made great...

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Snacks said:

this is also how some of the greatest cities in America were run in the recent past... let's be real.

NYC, CHI, PHI, MIA, DET, LAS, etc...

this is not something learned from Africa and "3rd World Countries".

This behavior was prime during the time America was being made great...

Pretty sure his post was about the power vacuum if/when the LE community is pushed out and how the community is what suffers from a lack of structure.  Not Jim Crow laws and redlines.  

• Like 1

It's not really a lawless zone.

The protesters or the people who are in charge of the CHAZ are given tremendous leeway by the authorities and by the press. If hypothetically, Capitol Hill residents and business owners were to band together and say forcibly push back against something like the protection shakedown, they know that they won't get the same leeway from the cops, they'd probably get charged with crimes, and they'd probably get doxxed, lose their jobs, and have their lives ruined. It's a total asymmetric balance of power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ajax said:

The protesters or the people who are in charge of the CHAZ are given tremendous leeway by the authorities and by the press. If hypothetically, Capitol Hill residents and business owners were to band together and say forcibly push back against something like the protection shakedown, they know that they won't get the same leeway from the cops, they'd probably get charged with crimes, and they'd probably get doxxed, lose their jobs, and have their lives ruined. It's a total asymmetric balance of power.

This. LE choosing favorites at the direction of local leadership.  I thought I saw a report indicating that local authorities capitulated and brought them concrete barricades to block off their 3 block zone, and then CHOP/CHAZ/Antifaland idiots then went and extended barriers another three blocks with their initial barricades. 

I just can't imagine wanting to live in a city where this type of behavior is allowed to persist.  I would never be the type to live in a Seattle, or NYC, or Washington DC anyways, but this kind of stuff is a nice reminder why.

• Like 1

Well to each their own.  I don’t live there, what they do doesn’t impact me one bit and I find it fascinating to watch knowing it won’t last forever.  I could live just about anywhere, having grown up in the military I feel I’m pretty flexible and wouldn’t dismiss something outright until I’ve tried it.  

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It seems to just be a protest encampment similar to Occupy Wallstreet. The protesters have demands for the city and the city is trying to work out a resolution. It does seem some are trying to frame this as Revolutionary Catalonia and calling for Generalissimo Franco to begin the Catalan Offensive.

People in Sugarland are really upset about how the city of Seattle is handling protests in Seattle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a hostage situation for those actual Seattle residents

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

It seems to just be a protest encampment similar to Occupy Wallstreet. The protesters have demands for the city and the city is trying to work out a resolution. It does seem some are trying to frame this as Revolutionary Catalonia and calling for Generalissimo Franco to begin the Catalan Offensive.

People in Sugarland are really upset about how the city of Seattle is handling protests in Seattle.

I’ve always been of the opinion that people get the government they deserve or allow so I’m not shedding any tears over this. It seems like the locals are onboard who am I to say different. If you don’t like it you can always vote with your feet. 

We’ve seen this constantly on this day and age that a government,  o matter how authoritarian, still relies on the consent of the governed (or at least a critical mass anyway), and my sense is that nobody has any desire up there collectively to make this not a thing. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I will always default to more federalism and local control is better than less federalism and local control. 

I think the people of Seattle are a bunch of wingnut idiots trying really hard to kill their goose that lays golden eggs. They think I’m a regressive knuckle dragged. As long as I don’t have to be bothered by what I deem to be their foolishness I’m ok. 

6 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

this is fascinating to watch...from Texas.

Agreed completely. 

I don’t like cops as a general rule. I’m sympathetic to the idea of clipping their wings. I’m fairly certain that once we get rid of the cops whatever city does that looks like the darkest part of Gotham City in whatever Batman movie you want to watch, but I could be wrong so I welcome other places that are keen to try it actually try it. I can’t imagine this doesn’t go horrifically wrong, but we shall see. 

49 minutes ago, F250 said:

It seems to just be a protest encampment similar to Occupy Wallstreet.

lol.  Seriously, the people caught in the middle are weapons-grade fooked.  BUT....They voted for it. They're in the soup now

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

How could they have a shooting? It's the "summer of love". In a way I'm glad Washington's oblivious governor and Seattle's mayor have allowed this to go on so the rest of the country can see what is transpiring there. It's no surprise "protestors" attempted this in Portland as well, but it was squashed rather quickly.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The COVID thread is over there.

I have yet to see anyone call Covid deaths "glorious" in any of the Covid threads.

In fact, the only lack of appreciation for human life I've seen on those threads are the people who are willing to sacrifice our parents and grandparents for the almighty dollar. That's a group you are a part of. Which, admittedly, is surprising. I get wanting to trade human life for profit if you're under financial hardship. But we're all well aware that you're a silver spooner with a lily-white soft life. I'd expect someone who was raised privileged with pre-manufactured soft-landings at every possible sign of a hard knock to have a little bit more appreciation for the lives of the parents and grandparents who gave them that life.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I have yet to see anyone call Covid deaths "glorious" in any of the Covid threads.

In fact, the only lack of appreciation for human life I've seen on those threads are the people who are willing to sacrifice our parents and grandparents for the almighty dollar. That's a group you are a part of. Which, admittedly, is surprising. I get wanting to trade human life for profit if you're under financial hardship. But we're all well aware that you're a silver spooner with a lily-white soft life. I'd expect someone who was raised privileged with pre-manufactured soft-landings at every possible sign of a hard knock to have a little bit more appreciation for the lives of the parents and grandparents who gave them that life.

Impressive.  It's like a triple-cocktail of ad hominem, straw man, and a red herring all intertwined.  

200.gif

Thinking your new nickname should be the triple lindy.....

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Impressive.  It's like a triple-cocktail of ad hominem, straw man, and a red herring all intertwined.  

200.gif

Thinking your new nickname should be the triple lindy.....

You're the guy that constantly posts terrible takes on the Covid threads and then runs away when asked to back them up with facts, right?

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

You're the guy that constantly posts terrible takes on the Covid threads and then runs away when asked to back them up with facts, right?

No, I'm the guy that is good at pointing out you are a weapons grade twat.....as evidenced by your weak ass response.  LOL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed completely. 

I don’t like cops as a general rule. I’m sympathetic to the idea of clipping their wings. I’m fairly certain that once we get rid of the cops whatever city does that looks like the darkest part of Gotham City in whatever Batman movie you want to watch, but I could be wrong so I welcome other places that are keen to try it actually try it. I can’t imagine this doesn’t go horrifically wrong, but we shall see. 

I dreamed in my head this post while replacing the word "cops" with "lawyers" and interestingly it reads the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1