OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

Josh McCuistion with a forecast/CB for Brenen Thompson to OU. OU will also get Talyn Shettron. They are going to have a filthy WR class.

Going to be interesting to see how many spots they use at WR. Looks like they plan to take 4 as well as a TE. that would be 4 each year and a rolling 3 year of 12 WRs - as well as taking 3 transfers.

I think they may only take 3 WR this year and no TE/HB as I think Farooq is the only guy they're pursuing.

Hopefully, the very solid haul for 2021 of Williams, Jackson, and Farooq and the 22's will break the boom/bust WR cycle that the Sooners have had going back several years (good year in odd-number years, poor in even-number).

The context for 12 WR over 3 yrs is the near-complete flame out of the 2018 class where only 1 of 4 WR recruits actually played.

Edited by quigley

On 9/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, quigley said:

Hopefully, the very solid haul for 2021 of Williams, Jackson, and Farooq and the 22's will break the boom/bust WR cycle that the Sooners have had going back several years (good year in odd-number years, poor in even-number).

Let's give Mims a chance.

• Like 1

this sounds pretty fucking terrible. 5* Gentry Williams tore his ACL and meniscus. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Gentry-Williams-46076933/

Drumm ::

I spoke with Williams over the last few days and he informed me that he tore his ACL and meniscus last Friday.

He sent me the video of the play that it happens on, as well, and I have to tell you all, it was questionably late and a horse collar. It wasn’t intentional, by any means, and was a football play, but it was also a tough to watch and an awful break for the five-star DB.

The good news is that he is in great spirits and has surgery next Friday, he says. He is working on being ready for track regionals in April and a big senior year in football, for Booker T Washington, in the 2021 season.

Hope he heals up and is ready to go for track. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

When do defenseive recruits stop answering ou’s calls?  Or doesn’t it work both ways in sooner logic world?

Sometime around like 2009?  It's been a decade-long fight to recover from this stuff for OU, and that's even with some relative success.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not enough room for Bowman??     (I hope 🤔)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30080123/luther-burden-commits-oklahoma-sooners

Luther Burden commits to Oklahoma Sooners 

Oklahoma added yet another top-300 wide receiver to its 2022 recruiting class Friday when ESPN Junior 300 receiver Luther Burden announced his commitment to the Sooners.

Burden, a 6-foot-1, 195-pounder out of Cardinal Ritter College Prep in St. Louis, is ESPN's No. 47-ranked prospect overall in the 2022 class. He chose Oklahoma over Alabama, Georgia, Missouri and Ohio State.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30080123/luther-burden-commits-oklahoma-sooners

Oklahoma added yet another top-300 wide receiver to its 2022 recruiting class Friday when ESPN Junior 300 receiver Luther Burden announced his commitment to the Sooners.

Burden, a 6-foot-1, 195-pounder out of Cardinal Ritter College Prep in St. Louis, is ESPN's No. 47-ranked prospect overall in the 2022 class. He chose Oklahoma over Alabama, Georgia, Missouri and Ohio State.

They'd make room just to fuck us over. But on the bright side I don't think he's done with Texas. He wants to play both sides, and I genuinely think Tom or whomever will allow it so he jumps back in the class. I think he also wants to see Texas actually do something other than go 8-4/7-5. This would be the year to do it, and if Tom can't deliver on it then that kid needs to go to a winning program until we get our shit together. Tom Herman is AIDS 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

You think OU won’t have space for a 5 star talent in the 21 class because they took a receiver in the 22 class? In that case, I have some beachfront property in Kansas you’d be very interested in. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, texifornia said:

OU OL recruiting has been awful since 2017. Getting OL recruiting right in 2022 is an absolute must. I wouldn't be surprised to see big numbers thrown at OL for next year (ie, 4 high schoolers + transfers).

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Why has it been awful?

I don't want to overstate the problem. OU's OL will still be among the best in the nation, and may be as good or better than 2020 despite losing two guys to NFL. They have depth, and options. But they don't project to be elite like the lines from 2015 (after UT game) to 2018. Two answers to the question of why. First, the facts:

OT-->Byrd: promise, but project                                Montgomery: project, needs to get in shape

Missed on two top 100 prospects.

Anderson: no report                                                   Raym: promising at C/G
OT-->Harrison: looks really good                           Parks: promising at C/G

Nelson: project
**Murray: transfer from UCLA, where he started at G. Probably will start next year over Robinson. Think 2 yrs eligibility left.

OT-->Wilkins: promise but opted out 2020. May transfer.         Ndoma-Ogar: transferred
Alexander: promising at C/G                                                         Felix: JC transfer may have completed eligibility

Walker: recruited at OT, but moved inside, I think bc he's too fat. Looked ok getting scrub snaps at OT. If he gets in shape, could turn this around.
Moore: kicked off team                     Simpson: done nothing in 3 yrs                Swaby: JC transfer may have completed eligibility

So 2018 and 2019 have had zero tackle hits and only 2 interior line hits. 2020 appears promising, but only one OT, and 2021 doesn't have an instant starter in the small group (Leigh may have been that guy, but he went to Clempsom).

The second answer is what caused this. The star rankings for OL are notoriously poorly predictive, but OU's done well by these. I know nothing about OL and the inside of the program, here are a few observations. OU stopped taking the guy who's 6'5" 260 but still looks thin and can move. Instead, they started taking the 320 lb high schoolers who are now 360. Bedenbaugh did well with this in 2017 (all four of whom started this year), but subsequently it hasn't worked out, especially at OT. Bedenbaugh is also reluctant to rotate OL so some of these guys didn't see much time possibly diminishing their enthusiasm. Other development questions are beyond me.

There are ways out of this. Brey Walker (5-star, OT from 2018) could lose 40 lb and regain the sweet feet that got him that lofty ranking. Wilkins could come back with a new hunger. The floor in this situation at OT is Swenson, who was replacement level at OT this year. The Sooners should be a popular destination for OT in the portal. The interior line has a logjam with several promising options. Bedenbaugh has a history of playing his best four OL, essentially regardless of position. This philosophy worked out really well in the 2015 - 2018 period with OT moving inside (Samia) and G moving out (Ford), for example.

Trouble could arise if one of these C/G types leaves. Because of this, I'd anticipate Anderson, Parks, Walker to all gets looks at OT despite currently being slotted inside.

I'd pencil in OC: Raym, OG: Hayes, Murray, OT: Harrison, ??? (I imagine portal OT or Wilkins/Walker/Parks/Anderson; if Swenson is here, it's a bad sign)

There's obviously depth behind these guys. OG Robinson started for two years and will likely be on the bench. Alexander will also be an OG back up, and all those other dude will via for third OT snaps.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU stopped taking the guy who's 6'5" 260 but still looks thin and can move. Instead, they started taking the 320 lb high schoolers who are now 360.

I think you and I have discussed this but I think this is where a disconnect between Bedenbaugh and Riley resides. Lateral quickness and explosion is the primary attribute of any BB offer and was evident in every "lower ranked" guy that he successfully developed into a badaass. Guys like Simpson are simply NOT guys that BB offered (or even pursued) in the past but they are exactly like the type of guy that Mumme/Leach/Riley have used in their schemes. Wilkins is a prime example of a BB guy, Leigh was another.

I expect the OL to still be really good at OU and the 2020 class looks really strong inside - some really good evals -  but it's a tough deal to have guys like Walker, Simpson, (Montgomery) taking up scholarship numbers for 4 or 5 years and not contributing at all puts a ton of pressure on the more athletic OT takes to not only develop but stay healthy. 

12 minutes ago, quigley said:

Bedenbaugh is also reluctant to rotate OL

this is a newer problem and I honestly don't know what to make of it but he clearly has limited the rotations at OL. It's weird because when pushed into service this year several of the backup guys looked really good in game, I though when Robinson came out that the OL got better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think you and I have discussed this but I think this is where a disconnect between Bedenbaugh and Riley resides. Lateral quickness and explosion is the primary attribute of any BB offer and was evident in every "lower ranked" guy that he successfully developed into a badaass. Guys like Simpson are simply NOT guys that BB offered (or even pursued) in the past but they are exactly like the type of guy that Mumme/Leach/Riley have used in their schemes. Wilkins is a prime example of a BB guy, Leigh was another.

I expect the OL to still be really good at OU and the 2020 class looks really strong inside - some really good evals -  but it's a tough deal to have guys like Walker, Simpson, (Montgomery) taking up scholarship numbers for 4 or 5 years and not contributing at all puts a ton of pressure on the more athletic OT takes to not only develop but stay healthy. 

this is a newer problem and I honestly don't know what to make of it but he clearly has limited the rotations at OL. It's weird because when pushed into service this year several of the backup guys looked really good in game, I though when Robinson came out that the OL got better. 

Yeah, I think we agree on the weight/quickness issue. I'm not sure why it's still happening. They have a track record of Simpson, etc. On the flip side, Swaby, a tall thin guy never played. They may be hedging bets by taking one thin quick guy (Byrd) and fat guy (Montgomery). Saying someone who is 17 yrs old and 260 lb is thin is weird.

The primary reasons I think OU OL in 2021 may be better than 2020 despite the C, OT losses is because Creed wasn't all that great (good, but not awesome) and Robinson down right stank. Robinson looked like he was laboring all year long on the GT counter and his lack of quickness one of the reasons Iowa St especially blew it up.

For 2021, I think OU's OL will be fine for the B12. Hayes will be the same. But you're right, Murray and Harrison showed me more than the starters they replaced (Robinson and Swenson). Raym (or Alexander) at C need to equal Creed. Then Coach B needs to coach-up Wilkins or slim down Walker or conjure a portal OT who's better than Ealy (not easy).

That's an OL that can compete in playoff games, and a bunch of those guys will come back for 2022.

Edited by quigley

1 hour ago, quigley said:

I don't want to overstate the problem. OU's OL will still be among the best in the nation, and may be as good or better than 2020 despite losing two guys to NFL. They have depth, and options. But they don't project to be elite like the lines from 2015 (after UT game) to 2018. Two answers to the question of why. First, the facts:

Oh man, so good. I laugh hard every time I see shit like this from sooners. They do it with a straight face.

We've got a celebrity poster among us, boy and girls! Bob Stoops has joined the Surly $9.95-er board under the handle of "quigley". Welcome, sir, and enjoy the dicks.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh man, so good. I laugh hard every time I see shit like this from sooners. They do it with a straight face.

We've got a celebrity poster among us, boy and girls! Bob Stoops has joined the Surly $9.95-er board under the handle of "quigley". Welcome, sir, and enjoy the dicks.

You do a great bit, man! Are you gonna tour again when the Covids gone?

8 hours ago, quigley said:

I'd pencil in OC: Raym, OG: Hayes, Murray, OT: Harrison, ??? (I imagine portal OT or Wilkins/Walker/Parks/Anderson; if Swenson is here, it's a bad sign)

Wanya Morris come on down!!!

If Morris comes, at least there'll be a legitimate competition for the OT slots (Harrison, Morris, Wilkins, Swenson and the other guys).