OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

Just now, Divided Windows said:

Fair point, but I’m assuming that’s in reference to domestic violence. It’s at least a little different that the woman Mixon hit was a complete stranger. He wasn’t hitting an intimate partner, he was hitting a random person talking crap in a bar. Still completely wrong and probably worthy of being kicked off the team, but more similar to a bar fight than a domestic violence situation.

I'd bet all the money in ctj's numerous bank accounts that she was NOT the first woman Mixon has ever hit and it likely started with family members, statistically speaking. Any man that strikes a woman like that - in public - has likely done it in the privacy of his own home NUMEROUS times. 

You ascribed a lot of weight on the premeditation AND the known previous bad behaviors of the other two knuckleheads and I understand the reasoning but the reality of violence against women is that it is statistically EXCEEDINGLY likely that it's a pattern and not a one-off event. 

they are all shitbags but violence against a woman and violence against a drug dealer (even premeditated) isn't comparable and certainly doesn't speak to a higher degree of possible reform, imho. Sometimes you end up with a bad crowd and do stupid shit -- like rob a drug dealer -- and I think that kind of behavior can be reformed. If you hit a woman - you are likely to do it again. and again. and again. You are also way more likely to hit/abuse children as well. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I'd bet all the money in ctj's numerous bank accounts that she was NOT the first woman Mixon has ever hit and it likely started with family members, statistically speaking. Any man that strikes a woman like that - in public - has likely done it in the privacy of his own home NUMEROUS times. 

You ascribed a lot of weight on the premeditation AND the known previous bad behaviors of the other two knuckleheads and I understand the reasoning but the reality of violence against women is that it is statistically EXCEEDINGLY likely that it's a pattern and not a one-off event. 

they are all shitbags but violence against a woman and violence against a drug dealer (even premeditated) isn't comparable and certainly doesn't speak to a higher degree of possible reform, imho. Sometimes you end up with a bad crowd and do stupid shit -- like rob a drug dealer -- and I think that kind of behavior can be reformed. If you hit a woman - you are likely to do it again. and again. and again. You are also way more likely to hit/abuse children as well. 

I totally agree, but again, I think the more apt comparison is to a bar fight, not to hitting an intimate partner. According to what I know, he hadn’t even seen the woman before. I also think it’s worth noting Mixon committed his assault on his 18th birthday. He had legally been an adult for less than 24 hours. Your points are well taken though, and I agree. No violence against women is ever OK.

Just now, Divided Windows said:

I totally agree, but again, I think the more apt comparison is to a bar fight, not to hitting an intimate partner. According to what I know, he hadn’t even seen the woman before. I also think it’s worth noting Mixon committed his assault on his 18th birthday. He had legally been an adult for less than 24 hours. Your points are well taken though, and I agree. No violence against women is ever OK.

You want to place it into this or that context; fine.   I place it into the context of someone who is a bully who defaults to beating those weaker than he during moments of conflict and disagreement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

There is no fucking excuse on this planet for Joe Mixon cold cocking that young woman.  That was a Mike Tyson lethal level fist on a small woman.   It was not a fucking bar fight,  it was in some late night fast food joint.  Fuck 18 year old Joe Mixon and fuck him in perpetuity.  OU sucks.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I still can’t fathom how this happens every offseason but it doesn’t lead to some LSU type shit

The media gives them a pass, Mixon case being the worst example of many. Players go away "quietly" at ou, does not really matter what they did or were forced to eat.

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yet Bob Stoops never kicked Mixon off the team, did he? He redshirted him and lied by calling that a "suspension," an idiotic claim that only a window-licking sooner fan would parrot.

What does that say about Stoops personally? And that is just one egregious Bob Stoops "discipline" issue.

Not to mention the restaurant owner, DA and judge and other assorted ou fans who aided in the coverup of Mixon’s ugly crime tape for over a year. Because he was good at football.  Where do these fine upstanding people fall on the douchebag spectrum? Pretty high I’d say.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Not to mention the restaurant owner, DA and judge and other assorted ou fans who aided in the coverup of Mixon’s ugly crime tape for over a year. Because he was good at football.  Where do these fine upstanding people fall on the douchebag spectrum? Pretty high I’d say.

Good God fucking this.  It was like a '70's made-for-tv movie about local redneck law enforcement run amok.  In this day and age, a bad joke, but in Norman per BlowU football?  Business as usual.

• Hook 'Em 1

OU has had a surprising amount of churn in the WR room lately, especially if Bridges ends up getting dismissed

2020- 5th year WR Mykel Jones transfers due to being burried on the depth chart, highly rated Jaquayln Crawford transfers

2021- 5th year WR Charleston Rambo transfers, Trevon West transfers, recent incoming transfer Theo Howard transfers, recent incoming transfer Obi Obialo apparently retires after being moved to TE, Trejan Bridges likely gets kicked off the team, Theo Wease has missed the entire spring and the injury might make him miss a couple of early season games in 2021

So they're looking at Marvin Mims (stud), Jadon Haselwood (been mostly injured over his first two years, and when he played he looked more like a flex TE than a typical explosive OU WR), Stoops, and the true freshmen trio, and maybe Billy Bowman, who's been on defense from day one, and whose hands are questionable 

Maybe they can go 12 personnel more often? While they have 5th year staple H-back Jeremiah Hall, Austin Stogner (who's been out for most of the spring while apparently dealing with chronic injuries) and Brayden Willis, they've had Calcaterra and Conyers both transfer, and had to move Michael Henderson to RB. Their first team 12 personnel looks dangerous, but pretty thin

It's also interesting how many transfers OU has had in the WR room over the past five years

Class of 2016

Mykel Jones- transfer (after four years)

Zach Farrar- transfer

Adrian Hardy- transfer

Class of 2017

Charleston Rambo- transfer (after four years)

Class of 2018

Jaquayln Crawford- transfer

Jaylon Robinson- transfer

Kundarrius Taylor- never made it to campus

Class of 2019

Trejan Bridges- likely dismissed

Class of 2020

Trevon West- transfer

Class of Portal

Theo Hward- transfer

Obi Obialo- apparently retired

This isn't to say that OU's offense is in trouble or anything, Riley's offensive record speaks for itself, but the recent WR churn struck me as interesting 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

OU has had a surprising amount of churn in the WR room lately, especially if Bridges ends up getting dismissed

2020- 5th year WR Mykel Jones transfers due to being burried on the depth chart, highly rated Jaquayln Crawford transfers

2021- 5th year WR Charleston Rambo transfers, Trevon West transfers, recent incoming transfer Theo Howard transfers, recent incoming transfer Obi Obialo apparently retires after being moved to TE, Trejan Bridges likely gets kicked off the team, Theo Wease has missed the entire spring and the injury might make him miss a couple of early season games in 2021

So they're looking at Marvin Mims (stud), Jadon Haselwood (been mostly injured over his first two years, and when he played he looked more like a flex TE than a typical explosive OU WR), Stoops, and the true freshmen trio, and maybe Billy Bowman, who's been on defense from day one, and whose hands are questionable 

Maybe they can go 12 personnel more often? While they have 5th year staple H-back Jeremiah Hall, Austin Stogner (who's been out for most of the spring while apparently dealing with chronic injuries) and Brayden Willis, they've had Calcaterra and Conyers both transfer, and had to move Michael Henderson to RB. Their first team 12 personnel looks dangerous, but pretty thin

It's also interesting how many transfers OU has had in the WR room over the past five years

Class of 2016

Zach Farrar- transfer

Adrian Hardy- transfer

Class of 2017

Class of 2018

Class of 2019

Class of 2020

Trevon West- transfer

Class of Portal

Theo Hward- transfer

This isn't to say that OU's offense is in trouble or anything, Riley's offensive record speaks for itself, but the recent WR churn struck me as interesting 

There is talk of Theo Howard staying. 

3 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

There is talk of Theo Howard staying. 

I've seen chatter ofthat on OU 247, but couldn't discern if that was hopefulness not born from info, or real. Also I saw chatter on Arkansas 247 that Mike Woods could transfer to OU, which is actually what got me down this rabbit hole since three incoming WR transfers in two years at OU would be noteworthy to me, but I haven't seen anything on OU 247 yet, so I'm wondering oi there's nothing do it

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

I've seen chatter ofthat on OU 247, but couldn't discern if that was hopefulness not born from info, or real. Also I saw chatter on Arkansas 247 that Mike Woods could transfer to OU, which is actually what got me down this rabbit hole since three incoming WR transfers in two years at OU would be noteworthy to me, but I haven't seen anything on OU 247 yet, so I'm wondering oi there's nothing do it

OU 247 are cucks

It'll be interesting to see how OU's OL class materializes, since we're battling them for guys like Devin Campbell, Cole Hutson, Neto Umeozulu, Kam Dewberry, Malik Agbo, etc. After taking only two OL in 2021, they could potentially take a big OL class here, but they're taking a ton of transfers every year as well, and also typically after landing four or so OL, it gets tougher to land a good fifth or sixth one

Committed

Demetrius Hunter

Probably lead for

Jacob Sexton

Cameron Williams

Jake Taylor

Dave Iuli

Don't appear to be in on anymore

Kelvin Banks

Jaylen Early

Interestingly, we're really only recruiting Jacob Sexton out of their leans. If they fill up with those names, one of our competitors in the Campbell, Hutson, Neto, Dewberry, and Agbo is out 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Fud said:

It'll be interesting to see how OU's OL class materializes, since we're battling them for guys like Devin Campbell, Cole Hutson, Neto Umeozulu, Kam Dewberry, Malik Agbo, etc. After taking only two OL in 2021, they could potentially take a big OL class here, but they're taking a ton of transfers every year as well, and also typically after landing four or so OL, it gets tougher to land a good fifth or sixth one

Committed

Demetrius Hunter

Probably lead for

Jacob Sexton

Cameron Williams

Jake Taylor

Dave Iuli

Don't appear to be in on anymore

Kelvin Banks

Jaylen Early

Interestingly, we're really only recruiting Jacob Sexton out of their leans. If they fill up with those names, one of our competitors in the Campbell, Hutson, Neto, Dewberry, and Agbo is out 

Cameron Williams is committing July 1st.

(Super K) Red River Write-Up

Spoiler

Over on the OU side, we asked our readers how interested they would be in receiving some occasional updates on Texas. Probably around 90% or more of those who commented said they would be interested in that. So, we did a Red River Write-Up for them highlighting some Texas topics that are relevant to them as fans of the rivals program.

***While Spencer Rattler had some struggles in the first half of last season, it was after he got pulled from the Red River game that he seemed to turn a corner.

However, Rattler’s receivers couldn’t seem to pay him off on some of his more spectacular plays. And with Bridges suspended most of last year and Haselwood out with injury, the Sooners worst group was their wide receiver group.

So, this off-season, that has been a big emphasis for Riley and company.

***We are told that Marvin Mims has taken the next step (I still can’t believe Herman’s staff didn’t offer him). But perhaps most importantly for the Sooners is they finally have a guy who can separate. Something they haven’t had since Hollywood Brown left. It just so happens that it’s another Florida prospect in Mario Williams who we’ve been told is giving OU DBs fits in practice.

He’ll be a guy who plays a lot this season.

***Another guy that Texas fans will likely see a lot of is Arkansas WR graduate transfer Mike Woods. I’ve been told that Woods will do some virtual visits this week. He’s already done one with the Sooners but did not give them a commitment. However, he has indicated strongly that that is the direction he is leaning. I would not be surprised if he schedules or has already scheduled a call with Texas.

But again we think this one is trending OU.

Texas was going to see Woods either way, this upcoming season.

***Obviously the big news this past week for Oklahoma was the suspension of two of their players pending investigation. The names were originally withheld by the university but were later released.

Although early on we were given details about the allegations, we have avoided speaking on the topic much. It just feels like a toxic one.

But given how much the Oklahoma media outlets have reported on it, I do wonder what it will mean for the two young men, neither of whom have been charged with anything, and what it will mean in terms of their ability to return to OU and finally what impact it could have on recruiting.

In terms of the impact on the field, I think Woods gives them a guy with a lot more experience than the currently suspended wide receiver. And, they added Tennessee running back, Eric Gray who we’ve been told has been stellar in camp. So, assuming they land Woods, I don’t foresee it being a big issue for them on the field. Although the wide receiver that was suspended was having a big camp.

The fuck is it with every OU outlet turning into nutless wonders every time one of their players does stupid shit off the field? Our guys just wallow in miserabilia while they're here like "we don't want clearly and obviously sticking up a drug dealer to affect this unnamed poor young child's future"

***Obviously the big news this past week for Oklahoma was the suspension of two of their players pending investigation. The names were originally withheld by the university but were later released.

Although early on we were given details about the allegations, we have avoided speaking on the topic much. It just feels like a toxic one.

But given how much the Oklahoma media outlets have reported on it, I do wonder what it will mean for the two young men, neither of whom have been charged with anything, and what it will mean in terms of their ability to return to OU and finally what impact it could have on recruiting.

In terms of the impact on the field, I think Woods gives them a guy with a lot more experience than the currently suspended wide receiver. And, they added Tennessee running back, Eric Gray who we’ve been told has been stellar in camp. So, assuming they land Woods, I don’t foresee it being a big issue for them on the field. Although the wide receiver that was suspended was having a big camp.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The fuck is it with every OU outlet turning into nutless wonders every time one of their players does stupid shit off the field? Our guys just wallow in miserabilia while they're here like "we don't want clearly and obviously sticking up a drug dealer to affect this unnamed poor young child's future"

Ha this.  What about McGowan and Bridges?  What about these precious young men?  So unfair to them!

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Liked for miserabilia

1 hour ago, Pdawg88 said:

My level of optimism for transfers is inversely correlated to the degree of disappointment of the fans at the school their leaving. His numbers aren't amazing, and I'm not ready to watch 2020 Arkansas football or visit Arkansas websites.

Does anyone know if Razorback fans mad about this?

Edited by quigley

42 minutes ago, quigley said:

My level of optimism for transfers is inversely correlated to the degree of disappointment of the fans at the school their leaving. His numbers aren't amazing, and I'm not ready to watch 2020 Arkansas football or visit Arkansas websites.

Does anyone know if Razorback fans mad about this?

Well would you rather keep Trejan Bridges on your roster?

30 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Well would you rather keep Trejan Bridges on your roster?

Obviously no, but there isn't a one-to-one relationship.

OU's was light on quality WR prior to Bridges fiasco.

Even if Woods comes in an provides a quality consistent option, OU still needs a couple more guys to come through. One of the freshmen, Mario Williams has been getting a lot of buzz. Hazelwood and Wease will be coming off injuries.

Eight WR going into a season is a minimum because you need to have a couple on the field at any time at least, plus injuries. You'd like four of them to be "good." Mims, Mario Wms?, Woods?, Hazelwood?, Wease?, that's 5. After that, there's a drop off in quantifiable ability. Stoops is the only guy with any catches.

OU's HB/TE will be formidable (Stogner, Willis, Hall), but there's a concern with depth here too with Conyers leaving and Henderson moving to RB.

Anyway, don't be surprised if OU goes into the portal for another WR.

Edited by quigley

2 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

A healthy Tarik Black type receiver. Not going to blow you away with receptions but will stretch the field and pull in a few long TD's. 

OU's needed a guy who's both fast and can catch. Rambo dropped too many balls, and Wease and Haselwood don't appear have the speed. Appears to be a good get.

Looks like CBs are rolling in for Justin Medlock - including one from tOSU guy, so that seems like a pretty clear indicator ::

https://247sports.com/player/justin-medlock-46081319/

and it appears that the Sooners are very close to adding Derrick Moore as well. He and Abor would make a pretty fucking good DE class. 

https://247sports.com/player/derrick-moore-46080075/

Sooners defensive class looks like it's starting to take shape. McKinzie, Abor, Rowe, Lewis, Medlock, and Moore is a damn good nucleus. that pisses me the fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, golfclap said:

Looks like CBs are rolling in for Justin Medlock - including one from tOSU guy, so that seems like a pretty clear indicator ::

https://247sports.com/player/justin-medlock-46081319/

and it appears that the Sooners are very close to adding Derrick Moore as well. He and Abor would make a pretty fucking good DE class. 

https://247sports.com/player/derrick-moore-46080075/

Sooners defensive class looks like it's starting to take shape. McKinzie, Abor, Rowe, Lewis, Medlock, and Moore is a damn good nucleus. that pisses me the fuck off. 

Is the Ohio St offer commit-able? I always wonder about that if a defensive player picks OU over another perennial playoff team. Is there new information on Moore? I don't trust the OU 247 moderators forcasts.

That said, this will likely be the most balanced OU recruiting class since 2016 or so. And the mid-2010s were when OU's recruiting on offense also tanked. 2006 - 2008 was the last time OU was getting high level talent on both sides of the ball in the same class.

Realistic projection based on public information (when OU's in play but not an overwhelming favorite, OR is used):

DL: Derrick Brown, Abor OR Moore, Browlow OR McClellan

LB: McKinzie, Lewis, Medlock

DB: Williams, Rowe (NB/S/LB), Biddle, Jordan

CB is light, and they need two true DTs. Otherwise, all the boxes are checked. There are no real headscratchers either. Because of family + proximity, they have a good shot at 2 legitimate* 5-stars on defense in the same year. Caleb Kelly was the last OU 5-star on defense (2016).

It'll be interesting to see how many of these projections actually end up in Norman.

* I said legitimate because Bookie was a 5-star but didn't have offers from other top programs.

Edited by quigley

36 minutes ago, quigley said:

Is the Ohio St offer commit-able? I always wonder about that if a defensive player picks OU over another perennial playoff team. Is there new information on Moore? I don't trust the OU 247 moderators forcasts.

That said, this will likely be the most balanced OU recruiting class since 2016 or so. And the mid-2010s were when OU's recruiting on offense also tanked. 2006 - 2008 was the last time OU was getting high level talent on both sides of the ball in the same class.

Realistic projection based on public information (when OU's in play but not an overwhelming favorite, OR is used):

DL: Derrick Brown, Abor OR Moore, Browlow OR McClellan

LB: McKinzie, Lewis, Medlock

DB: Williams, Rowe (NB/S/LB), Biddle, Jordan

CB is light, and they need two true DTs. Otherwise, all the boxes are checked. There are no real headscratchers either. Because of family + proximity, they have a good shot at 2 legitimate* 5-stars on defense in the same year. Caleb Kelly was the last OU 5-star on defense (2016).

It'll be interesting to see how many of these projections actually end up in Norman.

* I said legitimate because Bookie was a 5-star but didn't have offers from other top programs.

Jalen Redmond was a 5 star on 247, and Clayton Smith was a 5 star on Rivals, but neither had a Bama or tOSU offer, so they might fall into the category you created for Bookie.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, Fud said:

Class of 2016

Zach Farrar- transfer

Adrian Hardy- transfer

Class of 2017

Class of 2018

Class of 2019

Class of 2020

Trevon West- transfer

Class of Portal

Theo Hward- transfer

Are you intentionally leaving out Theo Wease? Or did I miss something?

4 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

image.thumb.png.9bd5cdac529cea804e3a920a362564eb.png

I missed this somehow. Doesn't look like he's expected to contribute though

Yeah, it was kind of a quiet deal - I guess because he's non-scholarship -- it was covered in the portal thread and one of the OU threads as well :: 

Edited by golfclap

15 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Wease has been injured all spring, might be injured all summer, and might miss a few games to start the season

52 minutes ago, quigley said:

Is the Ohio St offer commit-able?

Yes. Esp with the flip from Dasan McCullough. I expect tOSU will turn up the heat on Medlock and Abdul Carter and take the first one that grabs it. 

16 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

Clayton Smith was a 5 star on Rivals

He's a very good player but that 5 star on Rivals was a Ferrell special and was very reminicent of the 5star status given to RJ Washington and Jermie Calhoun - neither of those guys were 5 star guys but got the Crabtree/Ferrell bump. Calhoun shouldn't have been a 3 star, easily one of the worst high-rated prospects I have ever seen. Saying he was average would be an affront to average. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Wease has been injured all spring, might be injured all summer, and might miss a few games to start the season

Rumors of lower leg and/or ankle all seem weird given the timeline for return is so murky, it makes me wonder if it's an Achilles. 

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He's a very good player but that 5 star on Rivals was a Ferrell special and was very reminicent of the 5star status given to RJ Washington and Jermie Calhoun - neither of those guys were 5 star guys but got the Crabtree/Ferrell bump. Calhoun shouldn't have been a 3 star, easily one of the worst high-rated prospects I have ever seen. Saying he was average would be an affront to average. 

Smith was two spots away from being a 5 star on 247 as well, so I think I'd count him, but I have no qualms if some don't.

OU and Texas probably have had better walk-on RBs on their rosters right now than Calhoun. At least Smith and Calhoun had the frame and maybe the athleticism to justify a 5 star ceiling though. In my book, you have to either have either size or elite athleticism, and preferably both, to warrant 5 star consideration. Bookie's 5 star status never made sense. He was undersized and had below average athleticism for a high D1 corner. In no world could he ever have lived up to a 5 star billing.

Speaking of Wease, I'd put him in the Bookie category too. He doesn't have the size or athleticism to warrant a 5 star status IMO.

1 hour ago, C'Mon Man said:

Wouldn't shock me if Rattler doesn't put up the numbers he did last year with so many guys transferring or missing reps due to injuries. 

Spring and Summer reps are so vital when it comes time for kick off in SEP. 

• Like 1