OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

33 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I know Wilkins has said he will be back but it feels like adding Morris may push him out and I’m quite sure that playing for home state Arkansas and Pittman is a pull.

I'd trade Wilkins for Morris every time.

Morris has been competent vs good competition in a bad system. Wilkins is all potential.

Keeping Wilkins is still important though. If Morris rocks, he may leave after 2021. OU needs numbers going into 2022 because of the poor OT recruiting from 2017 on.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Bonito expected to leave?

Bonitto announce today that he's coming back.

Defense returns 8 starters, losing Perkins, Norwood, and Brown. Interestingly, by fancy stats, OU's defense was better than the offense in 2020 (defense's rating was likely greatly boosted by performance vs zombie FL).

Perkins and Norwood brought leadership and steady play. Brown may have been the third corner going into next year (behind Woodi Washington and DJ Graham). Because of the many options behind Perkins, Norwood could be the bigger loss. OU needs to get better and deeper at the S/NB positions. Turner-Yell is ok but Fields' snaps should be 1/2'd, and OU needs to find a NB not named Bookie (I was hoping he'd portal).

Edited by quigley

Getting Winfrey back was the biggest impact, imho. Like you said before - most important recruit of the 2021 class. 

29 minutes ago, quigley said:

Turner-Yell is ok but Fields' snaps should be 1/2'd, and OU needs to find a NB not named Bookie

Safety play under Grinch has been terrible and I have no idea how Fields stays on the field.  It's confounding that the worst position group on the field and in recruiting is the S spot, which is Grinch's spot. Mukes looks like an OLB to me, which means the 2021 class didn't add a S. It seems like the Sooners should be looking at the portal for a S and perhaps a NB prospect -- with only 16 commits it seems like there are spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Getting Winfrey back was the biggest impact, imho. Like you said before - most important recruit of the 2021 class. 

Safety play under Grinch has been terrible and I have no idea how Fields stays on the field.  It's confounding that the worst position group on the field and in recruiting is the S spot, which is Grinch's spot. Mukes looks like an OLB to me, which means the 2021 class didn't add a S. It seems like the Sooners should be looking at the portal for a S and perhaps a NB prospect -- with only 16 commits it seems like there are spots. 

I agree. Prior to this year, OU's had high upside recruits to fill the S/NB slots. I'm thinking Harrington (JUCO, played CB at 6'3"), Criddle, and Bryson Washington. Criddle got some time at the end of the year (I think I saw him vs Ok St and FL). Harrington was hurt, and should come back in 21. Washington has been missing, and I could see him portaling if the Spring isn't looking good. Because of lack of quality depth at S/NB, Turner-Yell's health is remarkably important to OU.

To be fair, Grinch has id'd some dude early only to have them poached (coincidentally by Ohio St).

Hopefully, OU finds answers for safety, OT, RB in the portal.

Joe Jon certainly making quick career moves. Came over to A&M after Brewster left and used Jimbo's TE-centric O to land a gig and probably higher pay at Ole Miss, using Joey Freshwater's fast O and senior TE to make the most of that move...and now to OU and a title upgrade.

Baylor, Mizzou, A&M, Ole Miss, OU... quite the tour in a short time...been coaching only since about 2013.

4 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Joe Jon certainly making quick career moves. Came over to A&M after Brewster left and used Jimbo's TE-centric O to land a gig and probably higher pay at Ole Miss, using Joey Freshwater's fast O and senior TE to make the most of that move...and now to OU and a title upgrade.

Baylor, Mizzou, A&M, Ole Miss, OU... quite the tour in a short time...been coaching only since about 2013.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Riley must use more class counters on offensive transfers than any other P5 coach, right? 

Of their needs this off season, backup QB, OT, and RB are offense. Safety is the primary need on defense.

Bowens may be a walk-on EDIT: scholarship, not walk on.

Now need to get a RB and safety.

Edited by quigley
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, quigley said:

Of their needs this off season, backup QB, OT, and RB are offense. Safety is the primary need on defense.

Bowens may be a walk-on.

Now need to get a RB and safety.

Obviously no downside if he's a walk-on 

Just saw this point on your 247 site 

"Now being reported on TOS and their Twitter feed inas [sic] scholarship offer."

A bunch of posters in that thread don't understand why there's a scholarship crunch for OU. It's a consequence of taking several transfers every year, which directly subtract from your recruiting class size 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Obviously no downside if he's a walk-on 

Just saw this point on your 247 site 

"Now being reported on TOS and their Twitter feed inas [sic] scholarship offer."

A bunch of posters in that thread don't understand why there's a scholarship crunch for OU. It's a consequence of taking several transfers every year, which directly subtract from your recruiting class size 

Agree. I think this is why their class this year is only 16.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, quigley said:

Agree. I think this is why their class this year is only 16.

Fwiw, we also potentially have a numbers crunch in part due to taking Black, Schooler, Watson, Thornton, and Dunn 

If Texas lands LJ, Lawrence of Abiara, and Uke, and lets Ibraheem sign, I think that leaves one spot for a signee or transfer, although maybe I'm off by one or two 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Fwiw, we also potentially have a numbers crunch in part due to taking Black, Schooler, Watson, Thornton, and Dunn 

If Texas lands LJ, Lawrence of Abiara, and Uke, and lets Ibraheem sign, I think that leaves one spot for a signee or transfer, although maybe I'm off by one or two 

Does our numbers go up with guys portaling out like Adeoye?

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

I noted that OU and Texas were two of the few schools in the top 20 recruiting rankings with < 20 signees for 2021. I think that this is intentional to allow space for transfer portal additions.

• Fuck You 1

I figured I'd go back and try my hand at the math on how many spots we have available for 2021. A few things I'm not sure about that maybe somebody can help me with 247 doesn't list Calvin Anderson (2018 class) and Gabe Watson (2021 class) but list Parker Braun (2019), Tarik Black (2020), Schooler (2021), Dunn (2021) and Thornton (2021) are there any others missing besides Anderson and Watson that we need to account for? Also I am not sure how awarding walk on players such as Luke Brockermeyer (2018) and Kai Money (2019) scholarships effects counting against their respective class years so I will leave them out currently until we get further clarity.

2017 - signed 18 players for 18 total counters

2018 - signed 27 players (9 EE) + 1 transfer (Anderson) = 28 total - 5 counting towards 2017 = 23 counters

2019 - signed 26 players (9 EE) + 1 transfer (Braun) = 27 total - 2 counting towards 2018 = 25 counters

2020 - signed 20 players (8 EE) + 1 transfer (Black) = 21 total - 0 counting towards 2019 = 21 counters

2021 - singed 18 NSD1 + 4 transfers (Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton) + 2 commits (Ibraheem, Lee)  = 24 with the ability to take 5 more counting 4 back to 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

Drumm's Dream Class.

It's so goddamn long, so I'm pulling his positions and you can read the reasoning here: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1srijd6

QUARTERBACK: EARLY PREDICTION IS OU COULD GO WITHOUT A QB IN 2022, BUT I WILL GO WITH FOUR-STAR CONNER WEIGMAN
RUNNING BACKS: FIVE-STAR GAVIN SAWCHUK AND FOUR-STAR JOVANTAE BARNES
WIDE RECEIVER: FIVE-STAR LUTHER BURDEN, FIVE-STAR RALEEK BROWN, FOUR-STAR TALYN SHETTRON, AND FOUR-STAR JORDAN HUDSON
OFFENSIVE LINE: FOUR-STAR JACOB SEXTON, JAKE TAYLOR, CAMERON WILLIAMS, JAYLEN EARLY

DEFENSIVE LINE: FIVE-STAR DL GABRIEL BROWNLOW-DINDY, FOUR-STAR DE OMARI ABOR, THREE-STAR NICO DAVILLIER, FOUR-STAR DERRICK MOORE & EDGE RUSHER DERRICK BROWN
LINEBACKER: FOUR-STAR KOBIE MCKINZIE, THREE-STAR JUSTIN MEDLOCK, AND FOUR-STAR JAYLEN SNEED
DEFENSIVE BACK: FIVE-STAR DB GENTRY WILLIAMS, JAYDEN ROWE, FOUR-STAR CRISTIAN DRIVER, FOUR-STAR AUSTIN JORDAN, FOUR-STAR JARRED KERR

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Drumm's Dream Class.

It's so goddamn long, so I'm pulling his positions and you can read the reasoning here: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1srijd6

QUARTERBACK: EARLY PREDICTION IS OU COULD GO WITHOUT A QB IN 2022, BUT I WILL GO WITH FOUR-STAR CONNER WEIGMAN
RUNNING BACKS: FIVE-STAR GAVIN SAWCHUK AND FOUR-STAR JOVANTAE BARNES
WIDE RECEIVER: FIVE-STAR LUTHER BURDEN, FIVE-STAR RALEEK BROWN, FOUR-STAR TALYN SHETTRON, AND FOUR-STAR JORDAN HUDSON
OFFENSIVE LINE: FOUR-STAR JACOB SEXTON, JAKE TAYLOR, CAMERON WILLIAMS, JAYLEN EARLY

DEFENSIVE LINE: FIVE-STAR DL GABRIEL BROWNLOW-DINDY, FOUR-STAR DE OMARI ABOR, THREE-STAR NICO DAVILLIER, FOUR-STAR DERRICK MOORE & EDGE RUSHER DERRICK BROWN
LINEBACKER: FOUR-STAR KOBIE MCKINZIE, THREE-STAR JUSTIN MEDLOCK, AND FOUR-STAR JAYLEN SNEED
DEFENSIVE BACK: FIVE-STAR DB GENTRY WILLIAMS, JAYDEN ROWE, FOUR-STAR CRISTIAN DRIVER, FOUR-STAR AUSTIN JORDAN, FOUR-STAR JARRED KERR

So, basically almost none of them. I like that he dreams. Don't give up on your dreams, Drumm!

6 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

OU's coach is concerned about cheating. 

Abc Lol GIF by The Bachelorette

To be fair, they’ve had some big recruits bought out from under them last minute by sec schools 

They cheat more than us, but not at an sec level 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

To be fair, they’ve had some big recruits bought out from under them last minute by sec schools 

They cheat more than us, but not at an sec level 

I'm thinking in an overall context.  They'd have to be clean for at least the next 40 years before they could try to take the higher ground on anybody

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah, no tampering at all when they took Baker Dickhead from Tech. 

Baker walked on at OU too. There was no contact between OU and Mayfield pre-transfer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1885656-baker-mayfield-to-transfer-after-1-year-at-texas-tech

That said, Riley admitted tamper with transfers. This is easily done with deniability from all. The intermediary is the player's high school coach, which is why it's convenient to have recruited the player during their prep days.

Once OU had Wanya Morris on board, it's easy to see him as the link to Gray and Lawrence (who the Sooners also recruited out of high school).

Edited by quigley
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm thinking in an overall context.  They'd have to be clean for at least the next 40 years before they could try to take the higher ground on anybody

For about the past 4-5 years, the same scenario has played out once or twice annually: OU is reported overwhelming leader for a player for some period and then there is a sudden flip. When it happens with Ohio St that may be the Buckeyes reputation for success or the bag. When it happens with Mississippi State, it's the bag. LSU with Jacob Phillips is the story OU fans really enjoy.

3 hours ago, quigley said:

Baker walked on at OU too. There was no contact between OU and Mayfield pre-transfer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1885656-baker-mayfield-to-transfer-after-1-year-at-texas-tech

That said, Riley admitted tamper with transfers. This is easily done with deniability from all. The intermediary is the player's high school coach, which is why it's convenient to have recruited the player during their prep days.

Once OU had Wanya Morris on board, it's easy to see him as the link to Gray and Lawrence (who the Sooners also recruited out of high school).

Didn't Stoops "run into him" while he was still at Tech.. then bolted afterwards?

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I recall. And bull-fucking-shit. 

If you recall, the Trevor Knight buzz was reaching its crescendo at the time Baker was transferring (see Sugar Bowl 2014, OU vs Alabama). It would have OU may have been weird for OU to be in the market for a transfer QB. If OU was in the market for a transfer QB, it would have been a duel threat QB like Knight and Bell (they took a duel threat prep QB in Feb 2014 too).

Baker was injured, replaced, a pain in the ass, and a QB that didn't fill the Sooners offense.

As you see above, I'm willing to call it when OU coaches are blatantly lying (re: transfer tampering). I don't think Stoops was this time.

14 minutes ago, quigley said:

If you recall, the Trevor Knight buzz was reaching its crescendo at the time Baker was transferring (see Sugar Bowl 2014, OU vs Alabama). It would have OU may have been weird for OU to be in the market for a transfer QB. If OU was in the market for a transfer QB, it would have been a duel threat QB like Knight and Bell (they took a duel threat prep QB in Feb 2014 too).

Baker was injured, replaced, a pain in the ass, and a QB that didn't fill the Sooners offense.

As you see above, I'm willing to call it when OU coaches are blatantly lying (re: transfer tampering). I don't think Stoops was this time.

I think one of my all-time facepalm takes happened during the Baker transfer.  I think I said something like "if he wants to come pay his own way and run the practice squad on a team he grew up loving, that's fine, but he shouldn't get a scholarship".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2