OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

1 hour ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

? They have Raleek and could possibly land Gavin Sawchuk.

I know they're considered to be the favorite, but let's see if they actually land Sawchuk 

There are 3-5 RBs every year who all the big boys in the country fight over, and usually a couple of those end up at Bama, Georgia, or maybe LSU or Clemson. Even if you feel good about landing one from out of state, there's always the chance that Bama or Georgia drops a bag, or Dabo wins one out of the blue 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

? They have Raleek and could possibly land Gavin Sawchuk.

Brown is an ATH take and Dennis Simmons was his primary recruiter. If Raleek signs with OU and wants in the RB rotation he'll learn that Murray is a size queen that wants his RBs to be in his physical mold and will use bigger backs more often in the rotation, even if the smaller backs are more productive (see the terrible Arizona RB room shuffle). Sawchuck certainly looks like a heavy OU lean right now but then you have McClellan and Wheaton ...  Murray is fully capable of getting beat on his primary target despite leading or even having the commitment. The bigger problem is that Murray, just like Drayton, has done a terrible job recruiting any secondary or tertiary options, so that when he misses on his primary target he's left empty handed. Unlike Drayton, Murray's personality is off-putting and he's had issues playing favorites and splitting his RB room. He's also made some moronic unforced errors in recruiting. 

It's incredible that Texas and OU, 2 schools that have an incredible history at the position, have a couple of chucklefuck morons coaching the position right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brown is an ATH take and Dennis Simmons was his primary recruiter. If Raleek signs with OU and wants in the RB rotation he'll learn that Murray is a size queen that wants his RBs to be in his physical mold and will use bigger backs more often in the rotation, even if the smaller backs are more productive (see the terrible Arizona RB room shuffle). Sawchuck certainly looks like a heavy OU lean right now but then you have McClellan and Wheaton ...  Murray is fully capable of getting beat on his primary target despite leading or even having the commitment. The bigger problem is that Murray, just like Drayton, has done a terrible job recruiting any secondary or tertiary options, so that when he misses on his primary target he's left empty handed. Unlike Drayton, Murray's personality is off-putting and he's had issues playing favorites and splitting his RB room. He's also made some moronic unforced errors in recruiting.

It's incredible that Texas and OU, 2 schools that have an incredible history at the position, have a couple of chucklefuck morons coaching the position right now.

My only quibble would be that the better OU running backs during Murray's tenure have been bigger (i can't remember watching Arizona FB). There's a possibility that smaller backs haven't had opportunity, but hard to know. But if Raleek Brown doesn't get handoffs, Murray should be canned just for that.

I completely agree everything else, especially the RB recruiting. The lack of secondary options is mindblogging.

12 minutes ago, Teryor said:

c99730179114038639ed1feefaa33521.png

@OnAComputer you do this literally for us to see it right?

Gerry literally retweeted it, so I thought it was fair game. If you're gonna give out a trampoline to use for a dunk, why not?

Also I was a big fan of Llywellyn's tape. Sucks he didn't give Texas a visit before committing.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Haha 2

From a poster on IT about Aledo 

Spoiler

o it was astonishing whenever momentum came with Bryan Allen and Oklahoma.

I was doing an interview for a Jase McClellan story and the person I was interviewing was openly talking about how Oklahoma could be in trouble because the SEC recruits at a different level. The Aledo staff was allowing Jase to make visits and talk to other staffs without telling OU about it, which is sort of a mutual thing most HS coaches will do. That was red flag No. 1 to that recruitment. That's the shady part about it and why I'm shocked OU is entertaining Aledo because they sort of distance themselves from recruitments like that (don't get me wrong, Oklahoma plays the game. I am not naive.)

Jay Boulware then blew tf up on Aledo's recruiting coordinator the month before Jase flipped to Alabama after he heard how many visits and how much he was talking to other schools. Damaged the relationship with Oklahoma so bad, Coach Buc told them not to come back.

And then Boulware was allowed to walk to Texas months later.

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

From a poster on IT about Aledo 

Hide contents

o it was astonishing whenever momentum came with Bryan Allen and Oklahoma.

I was doing an interview for a Jase McClellan story and the person I was interviewing was openly talking about how Oklahoma could be in trouble because the SEC recruits at a different level. The Aledo staff was allowing Jase to make visits and talk to other staffs without telling OU about it, which is sort of a mutual thing most HS coaches will do. That was red flag No. 1 to that recruitment. That's the shady part about it and why I'm shocked OU is entertaining Aledo because they sort of distance themselves from recruitments like that (don't get me wrong, Oklahoma plays the game. I am not naive.)

Jay Boulware then blew tf up on Aledo's recruiting coordinator the month before Jase flipped to Alabama after he heard how many visits and how much he was talking to other schools. Damaged the relationship with Oklahoma so bad, Coach Buc told them not to come back.

And then Boulware was allowed to walk to Texas months later.

That's a whole lot of words to say nothing of value for this cycle. If Boulware is an impediment, he gone. Clearly no hard feelings with the rest of the staff are lingering. 

The Jase McClellan stuff is interesting. Iirc, the 9.95ers kept a lid on that too for the most part. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU had an embarrassment of riches at HB/TE going into 2021 class so TE wasn't a priority. Loss of Conyers (2020) hurts.

Don't know much about this dude.

He has a great deal of upside, but I would bet he grows out of the position and into an offensive lineman eventually for the Sooners.  Not really a shock as TCU hasn't effectively used the tight end since I think Kelly Blackwell and Riley has killed the TCU defense with forcing their safeties and linebackers to have to cover the tight end and h-back.  

Simply put the video on and ask the kid which offense he wants to be part of and there is your answer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The Jase McClellan stuff is interesting. Iirc, the 9.95ers kept a lid on that too for the most part. 

The OU 9.95ers started discussing it ~ 1 wk before signing day.

As Golfclap has correctly said, the bigger issue for OU has been the focus on one elite back for the last 2 classes. This year they're likely going to bring in 3 (including, hopefully, Raleek).

Edited by quigley

1 hour ago, quigley said:

The OU 9.95ers started discussing it ~ 1 wk before signing day.

As Golfclap has correctly said, the bigger issue for OU has been the focus on one elite back for the last 2 classes. This year they're likely going to bring in 3 (including, hopefully, Raleek).

I still disagree with that statement about how OU has recruited RB's. In the 2020 class they had Knighton and Jase committed. They replaced Knighton with #14 RB in the country Seth McGowan. They lost Jase late. Idk how you call that focusing on one RB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I still disagree with that statement about how OU has recruited RB's. In the 2020 class they had Knighton and Jase committed. They replaced Knighton with #14 RB in the country Seth McGowan. They lost Jase late. Idk how you call that focusing on one RB. 

One elite RB. McGowen was thought to be, and has proven to be, average not great.

As others have also said, Jase wanted to be the only top RB in the 2020 class. After McClellon committed, Knighton communication diminished (reference unavailable, it may have been a podcast), and OU didn't hotly pursue other top RB who showed interest (Milton, Tyree, Robinson).

The fact that Jase went to Bama when they had another top RB committed makes people think that he concocted a Manchurian candidate-like plot to stiff OU late in the cycle. Probably just changed his mind.

RB coach is a recruiting job. At this point, Murray's got to produce this cycle. He needs to pull at least three top RB this year + another:

Two top 100 RBs (Raleek included) + one more RB.

At least one of the seven 4-stars from his high school Bishop Gorman, NV (one is at RB). It would be great for OU to get the OT + either the safety or DE.

So yeah, 4 top players this year to compensate for having an under performing position group in 2020 and failing to bring in a single HS RB.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, quigley said:

One elite RB. McGowen was thought to be, and has proven to be, average not great.

As others have also said, Jase wanted to be the only top RB in the 2020 class. After McClellon committed, Knighton communication diminished (reference unavailable, it may have been a podcast), and OU didn't hotly pursue other top RB who showed interest (Milton, Tyree, Robinson).

The fact that Jase went to Bama when they had another top RB committed makes people think that he concocted a Manchurian candidate-like plot to stiff OU late in the cycle. Probably just changed his mind.

RB coach is a recruiting job. At this point, Murray's got to produce this cycle. He needs to pull at least three top RB this year + another:

Two top 100 RBs (Raleek included) + one more RB.

At least one of the seven 4-stars from his high school Bishop Gorman, NV (one is at RB). It would be great for OU to get the OT + either the safety or DE.

So yeah, 4 top players this year to compensate for having an under performing position group in 2020 and failing to bring in a single HS RB.

You just contradicted yourself. First you said OU only recruited one elite back, Jase, but now you say that Seth was thought to be one as well and has failed. What he does on campus has nothing to do with this. 

The fact that Jase went to Bama when they had another top RB committed makes people think that he concocted a Manchurian candidate-like plot to stiff OU late in the cycle.

He's one of my favorite players if true

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, rvm96 said:

You just contradicted yourself. First you said OU only recruited one elite back, Jase, but now you say that Seth was thought to be one as well and has failed. What he does on campus has nothing to do with this. 

I believe he's saying that McGowan was thought to be average and has since been proven to be average. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ASDFASDF said:

I believe he's saying that McGowan was thought to be average and has since been proven to be average. 

In hindsight of a good night's sleep I will agree. In that case who offers and accepts the commitment of an average back that early in the process? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I just have one more issue. It was said above that once Jase committed OU slowed their communication with Knighton. That doesn't make sense with the timeline that has Jase committing 9 months earlier. 

Could it be possible that Jase made his request after he saw OU recruiting other backs? The postmortem on this is complete from my standpoint.

As golfclap has pointed out, that OU has difficulty recruiting RB is ridiculous. They have an outstanding OL, passing game, 1000+ rushers, and have had 3 RB drafted in the last 4 drafts. They should be able to just mail signing letters to the five top RB and wait for two of them to sign.

As golfclap has pointed out, that OU has difficulty recruiting RB is ridiculous. They have an outstanding OL, passing game, 1000+ rushers, and have had 3 RB drafted in the last 4 drafts. They should be able to just mail signing letters to the five top RB and wait for two of them to sign.

This. It really is confounding that this isn't the case. 

Further, this should simply be the standard and expectation at OU and Texas for RBs. In a rolling 3 year class both of the RB rooms should have 4 RBs that are minimum NFL serviceable level talent, guys like Fozzy Whitaker (who I LOVE) should be the floor. I don't think there's ANY reason to expect or have less at either school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I was just going based off what you said. I don't follow OU recruiting super hard. 

To be clear, I'm not sure this happened, but it view it as completely plausible.

Jase commits, and he then sees OU accept a commitment from Knighton and schedule to get visits from Robinson and Milton (scheduling of visits happened) and make the final cut for Chris Tyree (ND). Jase then says, "if you guys want me to stay committed, stop recruiting other top backs."

Anyhow, Murray's not on the line for what happened in that cycle. His seat got hot because of what happened on the field in 2020 and with 2021 recruiting. On the field, OU RB need to be better, and his 2022 recruiting needs to be on point at RB and he needs to help get a couple of the Bishop Gorman kids.

Edited by quigley

18 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I always thought that Tom got into the ear of Jase..  Didn't he pull a full court press on him once Bijan trended to tosu hard during that early span that summer (even giving them a silent)?

You are imbuing Herman with strategic/Svengali-esque abilities that I doubt he possesses.  Enchanters must be... enchanting.

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

You are imbuing Herman with strategic/Svengali-esque abilities that I doubt he possesses.  Enchanters must be... enchanting.

just saying that Jase was listening and probably opened the door for him wanting to look at all his options.. not just at UT.

28 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

just saying that Jase was listening and probably opened the door for him wanting to look at all his options.. not just at UT.

My recollection of the reporting at that time was that McClellan was a pretty soft commit to OU, he was actively listening to our pitch and that he would probably flip if we had another good season (lol). Also, didn't he visit Texas for Junior Day?

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I always thought that Tom got into the ear of Jase..  Didn't he pull a full court press on him once Bijan trended to tosu hard during that early span that summer (even giving them a silent)?

I think the “Bijan trending to tOSU” was overstated mainly by the tOSU side because to them everything is already a done deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I don’t know the actual truth here, but IT was bullish on a flip, Nahlin specifically. In retrospect, that stank of Donovan Jackson family source type info. He had pro-Texas people in his circle who would talk to Eric and IT painted a best case scenario picture that got pretty real in Nahlin’s head. 
Again, I don’t know what actually happened other than what has been reported. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don’t know the actual truth here, but IT was bullish on a flip, Nahlin specifically. In retrospect, that stank of Donovan Jackson family source type info. He had pro-Texas people in his circle who would talk to Eric and IT painted a best case scenario picture that got pretty real in Nahlin’s head. 
Again, I don’t know what actually happened other than what has been reported. 

yep.. and i was bringing this up to say that Tom/Stan pulled a Sweaty P negative talk to Jase about ou.. and it was enough for Jase to take a listen and it obviously spooked ou since they didn't go after any other back, yet he still bolted anyways..  #ouSUCKS

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

One perspective on our class

Hide contents

EuxMiChXEAUDID3?format=jpg&name=900x900EuxMicNWgAA_7t6?format=jpg&name=900x900

Calling Trevell Johnson a "3* ILB with a not-so-impressive offer list" tells me all I need to know about this dumb Okie mothafucka's opinion. He should step away from the meth once in a while. Also, OU's class composition is almost exactly the same despite dickhead Riley being on the job for how long now and with what kind of record? Oh wait sorry we actually have more defensive players at the moment despite our guy being on the job for less than two months. That's some aggyesque self-awareness.

The "UT needs to win" dumb shit is stupid. At the rate we're picking up players most of this class will be finished before the first game is played. He goes 9-3 he'll keep all of them in the fold and sign a top 3 class at worst.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

BlowU thoughts on Murphy...Screenshot_20210222-084106_Chrome.thumb.jpg.880135cf7f5472b42407cf2eaee1ea3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210222-084115_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210222-084133_Chrome.jpg

I don't think anyone here has suggested that he got MVP because he was a Sooner. Just that they pre-determined he was the #1 guy there and ignored a lackluster showing (went so far as to announce they were recalibrating the MVP formula because he was middling-to-bad in each drill ranking) and gave him the award.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

The idea that Maalik "has no velocity on his throws" when the one thing he proved this weekend was that he has an effortless cannon is an odd meme that's been echoing around on OU boards

The aggy boards did it too. I guess his hudl from those sophomore games he played is mostly dink-and-dunk stuff.

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The aggy boards did it too. I guess his hudl from those sophomore games he played is mostly dink-and-dunk stuff.

There are a few plays where he sort of lobs the ball to a spot while he’s out of the pocket moving away from potential pressure so that a WR can run to it. Weird criticism 

Williams on Williams @ Elite11:

"I was very frustrated yesterday," said Williams. "I don't really have too many days like that. I know that wasn't me."

And he seems to value 7-on-7's

"I really wish we would have had 7-on-7's, because that's really where you get to do some funky things and separate yourself from the other 19 guys," he said. "That's what I was hoping for. But we didn't get it, obviously, so we had to just face the adversity that we had, go indoors and start gripping and ripping."

• Hook 'Em 2