Teenager Speeding Ticket Advice

I was just informed that my 17 year old (next week) daughter (no pics) just got a speeding ticket in Frisco for 74 in a 45 and i'm looking for advice on limiting the damage.  I'm pretty sure she, and therefore I, am fucked due to the speed.  The insurance cost was already killing us, so i'm probably going to have to sell her car and figure out if we need to fully drop her from our insurance in order to afford the premiums.  Curious on the best way to proceed to limit the financial damage to the household while making her feel some pain.  Is it worth hiring a traffic lawyer?  Rec's?  I'm pretty sure defensive driving or any kind of deferral will be off the table.

angry eric cartman GIF by South Park

go beg the judge...  just kidding.

or request traffic court for your daughter( make her do the leg work, trust, but verify)

My youngest caused an accident at age 17, topped an overpass in hard ass rain and did not slow down because light was green( just kill me.)  He ended up rear ending a mini-van that in turn rear ended another vehicle.  For me and you and would be multiple citations and fines, right?  We went to traffic court and judge gave him like 30 hours community service.  No fine no points. No nothing

Maybe we got lucky, but it was damned well worth the effort.  I was there, but son did all of the talking.

Edited by Iceman

A long time ago, a lawyer got 6 moving violations I committed within a few weeks of each other packaged into one deferral deal.  One was for excessive speeding.  6 months later I fulfilled my obligations on the deferred.  I have no idea if they can still do shit like that.  I, as a teenager, paid the legal expenses, and it was a lesson learned and I mostly was a responsible citizen after  that.

47 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just know if you try and drop her from your policy now they are going to ask for proof of new policy or you really won't be able to drop her without them considering her on your policy anyway and still charging a higher rate.

This is also true.  To get her off your policy while she’s still living under your roof, she might have to surrender her license.  And that might not be enough depending on the insurance company.  It’s assumed that she will have access to a vehicle, even if it’s without your knowledge.

3 hours ago, Quagmire said:

74 in 45? I’d take the car away for good.

Oh that’s in progress. Not sure wtf she was thinking. She says she didn’t realize she was going so fast which is worse in my book. But, we’re selling the car. Told her early on that we were stretching to cover everything and any tickets would put that in jeopardy. This is egregious enough to warrant the nuclear option. 

sounds like the best bet is to try and get a deferral. Anyone have experience in Frisco? Hoping the 24 over doesn’t make it unattainable. 

edit. She’s screwed. 25 is the cap for dd or a deferral. Fuck

Edited by George

54 minutes ago, George said:

Oh that’s in progress. Not sure wtf she was thinking. She says she didn’t realize she was going so fast which is worse in my book. But, we’re selling the car. Told her early on that we were stretching to cover everything and any tickets would put that in jeopardy. This is egregious enough to warrant the nuclear option. 

sounds like the best bet is to try and get a deferral. Anyone have experience in Frisco? Hoping the 24 over doesn’t make it unattainable. 

edit. She’s screwed. 25 is the cap for dd or a deferral. Fuck

Call a lawyer.  I had some shit that shouldn’t have been eligible for deferred and the guy worked it out.  This was a long time ago, so things may have changed.

29 over? What is the fine she is facing on a whopper like that?

Any good traffic ticket attorney will be able to get deferred adjudication for her (assuming first offense, no booze).

Call John Gioffredi. He moved up to major duis decades ago, but his staff still cranks out routine matters like this. Prolly cost about same as the fine ($300?).

https://www.gioffredi.com/traffic-tickets/

GL!

9 hours ago, woohorn said:

29 over? What is the fine she is facing on a whopper like that?

Any good traffic ticket attorney will be able to get deferred adjudication for her (assuming first offense, no booze).

Call John Gioffredi. He moved up to major duis decades ago, but his staff still cranks out routine matters like this. Prolly cost about same as the fine ($300?).

https://www.gioffredi.com/traffic-tickets/

GL!

He’s in Frisco, they don’t fuck around on the fines up there.  It was damn near 3 bills for a rolled stop sign a few years ago.  I would imagine this would be significantly more than that.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, George said:

I was just informed that my 17 year old (next week) daughter (no pics) just got a speeding ticket in Frisco for 74 in a 45 and i'm looking for advice on limiting the damage.  I'm pretty sure she, and therefore I, am fucked due to the speed.  The insurance cost was already killing us, so i'm probably going to have to sell her car and figure out if we need to fully drop her from our insurance in order to afford the premiums.  Curious on the best way to proceed to limit the financial damage to the household while making her feel some pain.  Is it worth hiring a traffic lawyer?  Rec's?  I'm pretty sure defensive driving or any kind of deferral will be off the table.

angry eric cartman GIF by South Park

I'll be back in a year for the pics.