Karen of the Year

cactusflinthead

On 7/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, crash_davis said:

Here she is having a nice conversation with Portland police.  She really likes calling someone a douche out of her vajayjay.   Seems like they're all familiar with the crazy they're dealing with.

• Like 2

Sit safely and comfortably in my car with the windows rolled up and the AC on while she screams her lungs out, gets tired, and finally leaves? 

You might get your windows broken. I said it upthread. DRIVE AWAY. If they're blocking your path, drive slow. If they're literally laying on the ground in front and behind you, call 911, get the pistol in your hands and wait. If they start breaking windows or tipping your car over, then you gotta drive over people. The gun is your very last resort.

I'm 100% pro Second Amendment, and I'm seeing more often now that a gun deployed in self-defense can do more harm than good. THRTKABA is a God given right. Treat that gift with reverence, people.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

You might get your windows broken. I said it upthread. DRIVE AWAY. If they're blocking your path, drive slow. If they're literally laying on the ground in front and behind you, call 911, get the pistol in your hands and wait. If they start breaking windows or tipping your car over, then you gotta drive over people. The gun is your very last resort.

I'm 100% pro Second Amendment, and I'm seeing more often now that a gun deployed in self-defense can do more harm than good. THRTKABA is a God given right. Treat that gift with reverence, people.

Basically, this.

If you feel trapped, drive slowly.  Be prepared to defend yourself, but don't take any action to do so.  If they actually take overt action to realistically threaten you or your family, only THEN do you pull a weapon.  You don't pull a gun because you determine that someone is an asshole, and therefore they might end up being a threat.  Shit, if that were the standard, I'd walk around with a pistol in my hand 24/7.

And what the fuck is wrong with people's heads so they can pull a gun and point it at someone that readily?  I have pointed a gun at a living creature in self-defense a single time in my life -- I was hunting, and a stray country pit bull rounded the corner of some brush and charged me, snarling and on the attack.  I shouldered my shotgun, drew a bead on him, and started yelling at him to back the fuck up.  I told myself that if he passed the cactus about 10 feet in front of me at any rate of speed, I would shoot to defend myself.  And I really, really, really didn't want to shoot.  He pulled up about 15-20 feet away, barked some more, and then my yelling chased him away.  And my heart was beating like hell, and I was really upset by what I came closer than I'd ever want to doing -- kill another living thing out of self-defense.  And that was a fucking STRAY DOG. It's 100X more serious when you point a weapon at a person.  Pointing a gun at a person should be a fucking traumatizing experience -- FOR THE PERSON POINTING THE GUN.

But here in America, it's what we do when someone is a jerk, which means they might be a threatening jerk, which means they might eventually become violent, which means that I should get ready to shoot them.  We are some broken fucking people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If pulling a gun on a potential threat is the rule, then cops should basically lived seeing guns drawn on them everywhere they go.

Correct.

I'm serious, if the rule is "I see a person who I perceive to potentially be a threat to me because they could escalate their conduct and threaten my safety," then shit, I should have a gun pointed at every cop I see.

I don't think that would go over well.  Nor should it.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

If you drive slowly, could they just sue you and claim that you hurt them? Would it be thrown out?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything.  It all depends on the facts and evidence as to whether it would be thrown out.  If you have evidence (like video) showing that they were unlawfully detaining you, and you did not act to cause harm, but rather acted only to escape the unlawful detention, you should easily win that case.

But again, "I'd like to avoid a lawsuit" is never, ever, a fucking reason to draw a gun on someone.  The use of deadly force should be used to protect you from deadly force/serious injury.  That's it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Here she is having a nice conversation with Portland police.  She really likes calling someone a douche out of her vajayjay.   Seems like they're all familiar with the crazy they're dealing with.

Perfect example of why defund the police needs to be implemented at some level. These police officers did nothing wrong at all and super patient (wonder what would happen if this was a black man), but there needs to be a mental health professional there to manage the situation with one officer giving lots of space in case something goes sideways. Someone with mental illness will just escalate when they get surrounded by authorities with weapons. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Perfect example of why defund the police needs to be implemented at some level. These police officers did nothing wrong at all and super patient (wonder if this was a black man), but there needs to be a mental health professional there to manage the situation with one officer giving lots of space in case something goes sideways. Someone with mental illness will just escalate when they get surrounded by authorities with weapons. 

And we need to fix the shit out of our mental health system across the board.  She is a dangerous person, a threat to escalate any situation to one involving serious bodily injury.  She needs to be in a facility receiving treatment.

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Someone with mental illness will just escalate when they get surrounded by authorities with weapons. 

Yep. These types of personalities will often escalate to the level available in the moment, meaning that the higher you raise the stakes they'll just add one. So if you immediately raise the stakes to "I have a gun and handcuffs" they'll just boost their crazy up that high. Confront them with someone unarmed and calm, their +1 level is much lower.

Also, the dorks (what I've taken to calling the unarmed social service corps that should be doing 80% of what police do now) would be aware of social services and basic counseling moves and would be the literal "good cop" option that these crazies see as the better option for interaction than the heavies (what I've taken to calling the force of shaved-head, wife-beating, heart-diseased Oakley pricks with guns coming out of their asses that we still (unfortunately) need (in much, much lower numbers)).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Perfect example of why defund the police needs to be implemented at some level. These police officers did nothing wrong at all and super patient (wonder if this was a black man), but there needs to be a mental health professional there to manage the situation with one officer giving lots of space in case something goes sideways. Someone with mental illness will just escalate when they get surrounded by authorities with weapons. 

Did you miss something, or did I?

On 6/29/2020 at 5:24 PM, StassneyHorn said:

I’ll take 2010s Blackhawks over 2010s Blues. Last year was a crazy occurrence they can’t repeat. Still was stupid for Quenneville to be let go.

Bullshit. The Blues found a formula for consistent success, got healthy, and played by far the best hockey in the league from January through June. And as of the coronavirus break, they sit in first place in the Western Conference with the second-highest win percentage in the NHL. They may not repeat and weird shit happens in the playoffs, but it’s not like they aren’t one of the legitimate 3 or 4 favorites to win the Cup.

The real “crazy occurrence” last season was the Blues sitting in last place in January. 

Edited by BrickHorn

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Bad grammar. Wonder what would happen if this was a black man.

In Portland? I'd guess they would definitely be scared to escalate. People burned an elk statue for no reason, I'd figured they wouldn't want to rile up the mob even more.

ok...Portland Karen is clearly nuts and on meds, she acknowledges that she's nuts and on meds, and the cops all seem to know she's nuts and on meds. i bet they draw straws every time a call comes in about her to see who has to go.

Gun-Drawing Karen...i was actually empathizing with her initially, she remained calm, she didn't engage verbally despite being berated, she was trying to avoid conflict and leave peacefully, and what she said when she was in the car with the window rolled down, something about she cared about them (as human beings presumably) and she was sorry if someone had done something racist to make them feel badly, she seemed sincere... and then she flipped the fuck out and had to draw a gun 🙄 wtf, Karen!

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

imo, the gun owner / chl holder has a responsibility to walk away from a NON life or death situation, not escalate it because you have a firearm 

Isn't that pretty much the law? I remember from my CHL class that pulling and waving around your gun would get your CHL yanked at the least, and could subject you to criminal charges. 

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Isn't that pretty much the law? I remember from my CHL class that pulling and waving around your gun would get your CHL yanked at the least, and could subject you to criminal charges. 

I tend to agree that there is a "moral" duty to retreat as a specially sanctioned firearm holder.  I think it would be difficult to make that a legal duty, though.

In Texas, waving your gun around could constitute disorderly conduct, which though a misdemeanor, disqualifies for CHL licensure.  Class A and B misdemeanors also disqualify.  Conviction not necessary.

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Perfect example of why defund the police needs to be implemented at some level. These police officers did nothing wrong at all and super patient (wonder what would happen if this was a black man), but there needs to be a mental health professional there to manage the situation with one officer giving lots of space in case something goes sideways. Someone with mental illness will just escalate when they get surrounded by authorities with weapons. 

I would go with "Defund the Bad Police and Give Their Compensation to Good Police".

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Oh my god shut the fuck up.

“IM A MEDICAL DOCTOR AND MY CIVIL LIBERTIES WERE VIOLATED AND THIS IS ILLEGAL AND IM REPORTING THEM TO SOCIAL MEDIA!”

Alright you stupid twat, tell us exactly which civil liberties you have are being infringed?  Which article and section?  Which amendment?

27 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Oh my god shut the fuck up.

“IM A MEDICAL DOCTOR AND MY CIVIL LIBERTIES WERE VIOLATED AND THIS IS ILLEGAL AND IM REPORTING THEM TO SOCIAL MEDIA!”

1.  I hope she does keep reporting.  The ones that kick her out are the stores I'd be more likely to shop in.

2.  If she's a medical doctor and doesn't ever wear a mask, let's ask her to go have a look at the COVID ward and see what she says.

3.  Would she be saying the same thing if she saw some idiot running around in that store with their clothes off?  Or would she be demanding that the manager call the police?  What about that naked person's civil liberties?

4.  Private companies aren't the government brah, they can't restrict your civil liberties by definition.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There’s a lot more to that Pacifica vid

It doesn’t excuse pulling a gun. At all. Full stop. But it’s hard to pull for the victims in this one. She gave them every opportunity to disengage.

So when I’m telling y’all that we as gun owners gotta be COOL AS A FAN, it’s NOT cuz I’m a fudd, scared to shoot something, or a statist. I’m saying it primarily because ANY chance anti gunners have to use us for further encroachments on our rights, THEY WILL.
Fortunately no one died in this scenario, (scroll back a bit on my page if you don’t know what the scenario is) but the phrase IMMINENT DANGER has an actual meaning. Not my feelings about it, but actually in IMMEDIATE DANGER. Not “I feared for my life.” Not “I thought.” Not “they were threatening me.” It’s more like, “that person was about to PHYSICALLY HARM me or others and I drew my firearm to PROTECT LIFE.
Miss me with anything outside of that because THIS is how ALL gun owners will be painted by people who push LEGISLATION, not dank ass memes.
Do I think this woman and her husband (who was fired from his job subsequently for this altercation) were evil racists? Not at all. I actually think the wife was handling it well (what was on camera) and the mom and daughter who were recording were extra. She did it ALL right in my view, up until she broke discipline, got out of her vehicle and pulled her gun on the annoying ass mom daughter combo. There was ZERO imminent threat, no physical attack, no threat to life.”
For all you “well she could’ve FELT threatened” folks, look at the outcome. Unemployment for the husband, firearms turned in, felony charges, bail money and the cherry on top? The politicians trot out the famous “common sense gun laws” slogan. If you think this is somehow a win for our rights, you TRIPPING.
Let’s all learn from this example. Do NOT pull your gun unless there is an IMMINENT threat and CONSTANTLY evaluate the need for escalation or DE ESCALATION of the continuum of force. Most cases? Get the fuck outta there, if your prides your only casualty, YOU WON.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That's sane person behavior?

Exactly how sane are any of them? Want to bet a dollar on how many sessions the first Karen has had in her life? Or since then? Double down on the level of acceptance of responsibility for her actions. 

We're looking at public meltdowns. I don't give a shit what you are going through if you want to go off at me. That's uncalled for. You can be all kinds of crazy and get along fine. They got busted doing the same old BS they do every day and now they're paying for it. 

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Exactly how sane are any of them?

We can tell the difference between a person who behaves as normal society would expect going off on some racist shit then we see they ran a business successfully or held a steady job for 10 years before going viral.

Those are interesting because they reveal something about the pervasive nature of systemic racism.

Loonies, though, meh

I've seen a lot of crazy people. I started the mental health thread here because we didn't have one. I'm generally in favor of using a heavy dose of kindness in regards to our fellow human beings that may be fighting issues in their head.

However, there are some mental problems that I refuse to allow to poison my life. Toxic people exist. Angry, violent, and destructive. I have no patience for them. None. I don't have to spend time with them or surrender one bit of territory. That's the genesis of the Karen encounter. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

America is entirely fucked up when it comes to mental health.

The only reason I am awake right now is that I have a neighbor with dementia who has no next of kin.  She has a city social worker already assigned to her and has had multiple supposed court dates that come and pass.  Yet almost every night between 2 and 4 am, she bangs on our door for one reason or another, and she remembers none of it.  In her mind, reasons exist, and I get that, and its sad. Her partner left a year ago to an assisted living facility and is never coming back.  She screams for her in the hallway 10 to 20 times per day.  She thinks she got lost checking the mail.  But the biggest problem is that she refuses all medical attention.  She feels faint because she has dementia and forgets to eat, but in what's left of her mind, that isn't possible.  She truly feels that she can only feel faint because of an outside factor.  So she thinks there is gas.   However, the gas has been completely shut off in her apartment for nearly a year.  

Worse, meals on wheels abandoned her during covid as well.  So we also provide pretty much the entirety of her sustenance.   And we aren't allowed to reinstate meals on wheels because we aren't next of kin.  And nobody can do anything really.  She is going to eventually die alone in her apartment even though she could have had a few good years in a facility or even with a home visit nurse.  My options are to stop feeding her and let her die, or get her arrested after filing nuisance and harassment complaints against her because she bangs our door nightly.  None of these options are good for me, and I live in a city that supposedly gives a shit.

Holy hell. I'm sending a note for sainthood. 

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of context here, which is important, but if this lady has serious mental problems, then this video saddens me on a lot of levels. First, because she's likely dealing with some serious demons in her head and, as it's been pointed out, probably isn't getting any decent help, meaning this is a normal day in her life. That fucking sucks. Secondly, we have a group of people stoking the fire and making fun, causing the lady to have a violent response. That is not OK! Call the cops and keep an eye on her, but don't film, make jokes, antagonize, and put it on Twitter for some cheap fucking likes.

17 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The only reason I am awake right now is that I have a neighbor with dementia who has no next of kin.  She has a city social worker already assigned to her and has had multiple supposed court dates that come and pass.  Yet almost every night between 2 and 4 am, she bangs on our door for one reason or another, and she remembers none of it.  In her mind, reasons exist, and I get that, and its sad. Her partner left a year ago to an assisted living facility and is never coming back.  She screams for her in the hallway 10 to 20 times per day.  She thinks she got lost checking the mail.  But the biggest problem is that she refuses all medical attention.  She feels faint because she has dementia and forgets to eat, but in what's left of her mind, that isn't possible.  She truly feels that she can only feel faint because of an outside factor.  So she thinks there is gas.   However, the gas has been completely shut off in her apartment for nearly a year.  

Worse, meals on wheels abandoned her during covid as well.  So we also provide pretty much the entirety of her sustenance.   And we aren't allowed to reinstate meals on wheels because we aren't next of kin.  And nobody can do anything really.  She is going to eventually die alone in her apartment even though she could have had a few good years in a facility or even with a home visit nurse.  My options are to stop feeding her and let her die, or get her arrested after filing nuisance and harassment complaints against her because she bangs our door nightly.  None of these options are good for me, and I live in a city that supposedly gives a shit.

I'm really sorry that you're having to go through this, but you're also awesome for your compassion. My mom had dementia and passed a few years ago, but had some of the same types of behavior you noted above. Being there, feeling helpless, and watching everything just slowly slip away it not something I'd wish any one to experience. It's a real shitty way to go.

Holy hell. I'm sending a note for sainthood. 

1 - good on ya, Fondren. We have to look out for each other. We just have to, it’s necessary to our shared humanity.

2 - it shouldn’t be that way....it shouldn’t all fall on you. Our social contract is in shreds.

Sigh. This world breaks my fucking heart. Thanks for showing yours, Fondren.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

That is some outstanding and rare humanity, friend.  Good on you.

It can be really frustrating to deal with a loved one with dementia issues, let alone a stranger.

• Like 1

Mental illness often manifests in ways that are a reflection of the society in which it exists.  Those mentally ill who demonstrate such through hateful racism and bigotry are reflecting/mirroring/parroting this racist and bigoted society.  You can choose to ignore the canary if it makes you uncomfortable to watch it die, but it doesn't make the gas go away.  

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

What city are you in? My friend works with food security and I am pretty sure we can find another group to deliver to her. It really is sad how we overlook those in need of food safety. Good on you Sir.