NFL of the 1970s

GHOSTUSER

The NFL became the dominant force in American sports during this decade. America’s Team and the Steelers dynasty were born. Luv Ya Blue, Earl and Bum were roaming at the Astrodome and Houston had its best ever success. I was just a toddler during that era of football. Tom Landry and Don Shula coaching great teams. For those of y’all old enough, what was it like going to a game at Texas Stadium or the Astrodome. As someone who lived and died with the Glanville/Run N Shoot Oilers, I always wished I could have watched Earl and seen Bum on the sidelines with blue Pom Pom crowd in the Dome going wild. What was it like? The Thanksgiving game between the Oilers and Cowboys which the Oilers won. What was the lead up and after the game like? Monday Night Football with Cosell. Compare and contrast to the NFL today. 

5a4f05a4331edd36d3dc9b9c47d7a082.jpg

4ed35adc19f1fbde4a9e168d1acbc5e4.jpg

f4334c7f35881c1ea0d2a1e34583390a.jpg

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

The era I grew up on, nothing will ever top it for me.  Growing up in Ky, the Cowboys were only on when it was national so it was always a big event to watch them.  Reading the Monday sports section for recaps on all the games that Sunday, watching the halftime highlights on MNF.   My first Cowboys game was at TS during Staubach's last season, vs the Bengals of all teams.   The 80s were full of heartbreaks, the 90s were damn good and lately it's not really giving much of a damn anymore(Cowboys) still love the NFL. 

• Like 1

As a kid growing up in SA, I loved the Oilers and the Cowboys. My first pro game was in November of 78 against the Bengals and I was 9. It was Earl’s rookie year. It was the first time I had ever been in the Dome before and I was in complete and utter awe. The place was just huge. The scoreboard was so cool with hull and the cowboy shooting his guns when the Oilers scored. And then the best part was when they played the “Houston Oilers #1” song. The whole crowd shook their Pom poms and sang along. It was terrific. I bough the 45 record to take home and listened to it over and over for weeks.

• Like 1

Let's be realistic though - this decade was probably the low point in NFL history for offensive creativity and conservative coach-think.  The same was true of many front offices in the league and their approach to scouting and drafting, leading to at least 30% of the league being consistently terrible for decades. When the Dolphins went 14-0 in the 1972 regular season, they played 2 games against teams with a winning record; there's no way in hell you'll have a team do that in the NFL today.

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Let's be realistic though - this decade was probably the low point in NFL history for offensive creativity and conservative coach-think.  The same was true of many front offices in the league and their approach to scouting and drafting, leading to at least 30% of the league being consistently terrible for decades. When the Dolphins went 14-0 in the 1972 regular season, they played 2 games against teams with a winning record; there's no way in hell you'll have a team do that in the NFL today.

Fair point but watch the Cowboys play calling vs Dolphins in Super Bowl VI. It is really creative:

It was the best era of pro football...hell, pretty much any sport ever.

Instead of replays of recent year games or just Superbowls on the sports channels they should show the entire seasons of great teams of the 70s.

• Like 1