Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

yeah, i'm still not on board. as far as i can tell nobody here had even heard of this fact until just now. so who has the song been hurting? nobody. in fact it's a decades old tradition that has been about unity and togetherness, often shared together by 100,000+ people of all types races, religions, and ethnicities. for decades the song has brought people together and been one of the hallmark traditions of the University of Texas, and has been hurting/negatively affecting exactly no one. but we now find out that the guy who wrote it was a racist and suddenly we need to get rid of this time honored tradition that's been a right of passage for both and fans and players for generations? no, i can't get on board with that. its misguided and gratuitous. everything else they've asked for makes sense, but this request is too big an ask for too insignificant a reason. 

This article is from two years ago - so its been an issue on campus for at least two years.

https://thedailytexan.com/2018/04/17/the-eyes-of-texas-racist-tradition-or-cornerstone-of-school-sprit

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Throughout cfb history, coaches that have either sat on the fence or sided against the student athletes have almost always failed or been ran out on a rail

Indiana back in the day.

Wyoming 7

Arkansas before the shootout

Mizzou

etc

Gonna have to prolly cave to most of the demands or risk fucking up this athletic program for a long long time

Yeah it would suck for the football program to be fucked up for a long time. Oh wait...

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Honestly, and this isn't a mad reaction or anything, but.... shouldn't the players, if they feel this way about the university's history, just walk off the campus and go play somewhere else less raycess?

Or, they could try to change Texas to be less racist.  I know which I'd prefer.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

The petition was emailed to me this morning. I'm just stunned at the number of people who are posting pronouns after their name. What the fuck is that about?

Someone doesn't spend much time on liberal twitter. (It's supposed to be so people don't assume pronouns, and make life easier for trans people or anyone else that doesn't necessarily use the pronoun you'd expect, but it does tend to just be used as pretty obnoxious virtue signaling)

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Honestly, and this isn't a mad reaction or anything, but.... shouldn't the players, if they feel this way about the university's history, just walk off the campus and go play somewhere else less raycess?

No. They can work to affect change within the University they love playing at. There's a lot of bad shit in UT's history that people need to face and reconcile. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Or, they could try to change Texas to be less racist.  I know which I'd prefer.

Egghhh. I'm all for that. My point is, there are so many other places this can reach, to where the university would be completely unrecognizable. 

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

so who has the song been hurting? nobody.

I'm not necessarily in favor of disassociating with the song but this argument sucks. Are you really that self-centered that you can't imagine how a student of color would take even slight issue with the university glorifying a song that originated at minstrel shows?

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wanna know if lsu is gonna change their mascot/name. 

They are named the tigers because louisiana’s division in the civil war fought like (and we nicknamed) “tigers”

Their athletes are not required to read or write, no time to worry about this other shit. 

Before you think i'm being mean, I have a friend who worked in the LSU SID when Stromile Swift was on campus. 

Love it or leave it?

• Like 1

Egghhh. I'm all for that. My point is, there are so many other places this can reach, to where the university would be completely unrecognizable. 

That's kind of the point. To grow, sometimes you have to move on from the past.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Eh, this sounds like the gay marriage slippery slope arguments, "what's next, bestiality!?!?". They should go make these mostly pretty sensible changes, we can all have an honest conversation around the song (which I'd personally like to see kept), and not go off the deep end.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Love it or leave it?

I mean, I'm not saying that, but the history of this university, and most on this side of the country who've been around as long as Texas, have history's that are steeped to holy fuck in racism. I guess I'm just trying to say, where does that end? 

I'm gunna go ahead and give up on the convo, cos I can see there isn't going to be any nuance involved, just honest thoughts.

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Sorry, you're right.  I should have said time to defund athletics

Oh no, your precious fight song that's sung twice a game might be dropped. How will Texas Athletics survive?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Stephen F. Austin owned slaves and the name “Texas” is a supremely ironic example of cultural appropriation (hey, “friends,” mind if we drive you from your land?).

We should probably burn the whole University to the ground and start over.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Someone doesn't spend much time on liberal twitter. (It's supposed to be so people don't assume pronouns, and make life easier for trans people or anyone else that doesn't necessarily use the pronoun you'd expect, but it does tend to just be used as pretty obnoxious virtue signaling)

Our email signatures at work have them. I screwed up with someone’s pronouns my 2nd day on the job. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, this sounds like the gay marriage slippery slope arguments, "what's next, bestiality!?!?". They should go make these mostly pretty sensible changes, we can all have an honest conversation around the song (which I'd personally like to see kept), and not go off the deep end.

Well, it's not. I don't know how to say it any clearer that it's just an honest observation, that if you're finding out just how racist everything around you is at this university you love and are playing for, you're gunna have to change a whole helluva lot. That's it. Not a who's right or wrong, just...what it is I dunno

Honestly, more power to the kids

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Stephen F. Austin owned slaves and the name “Texas” is a supremely ironic example of cultural appropriation (hey, “friends,” mind if we drive you from your land?).

We should probably burn the whole University to the ground and start over.

You could set yourself on fire in protest. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Sorry, you're right.  I should have said time to defund athletics

Halfway there since the lege has been trying to defend education for years! 

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Given that you can't donate to the concept of BLM, you'd just pick organizations the effect change through means other than political contributions or political action.

Very easy compromise - donate the same amount sough to scholarships for minorities.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This kinda has “if you don’t like it then go back to your country” vibes to it. Probably wasn’t your intention but nevertheless.

What’s wrong with making improvements where you are?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Well, it's not. I don't know how to say it any clearer that it's just an honest observation, that if you're finding out just how racist everything around you is at this university you love and are playing for, you're gunna have to change a whole helluva lot. That's it. Not a who's right or wrong, just...what it is I dunno

Maybe finding out how racist everything around you is at the university you love and making real efforts to change is...i dunno, clearly right?

Edited by UncleSonny

man, the Texas Football IG is all over this. like 4-5 days ago they played what i thought was a pretty cool compilation/hype video featuring that Gucci Mane/Jimmy Fallon "Eyes of Texas" remix, along with a dozen+ cameos from famous celebrities and alums flashing the "Hook em" sign. I just went and checked and it's gone now. I scrolled back a couple of months and didn't see any videos containing the song. it's already being removed. damn. 

• Like 1

If you needed more proof there's some serious organization and orchestration going on, nation-wide, you have it now.

SIAP, but if our main desire is to have true diversity, we need to adhere to the racial/ethnic makeup of our state.  Applying those data to say, football scholarships, we would need to have a total of 10 Black or African-American players on scholly (12.3%). 

Does that sound fair?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Willie is white.  Can't trust him to write a song. 

You should have to serve a month in the scary eanes holding cell just for typing that. Someone please lace his sticky green though, we need a warrior mentality when he's writing this one. Someone play Danzing's Mother on loop.

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

Probably wasn’t your intention but nevertheless.

What’s wrong with making improvements where you are?

It wasn't. I'm not saying that at all. My point was, you're only here at this university a short period of time. If you're just finding out how racist the history of a lot of these things around you are, then do you really still love it that much, and wouldn't it just be easier to start over somewhere else? 

thinking on it a bit more, it makes sense that you'd try to change the thing you love for the better. 

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Maybe finding out how racist everything around you is at the university you love and making real efforts to change is...i dunno, clearly right?

Sure. I can see that side. 

Edited by UncleBuck