Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Just now, Goodman said:

You should have to serve a month in the scary eanes holding cell just for typing that. Someone please lace his sticky green though, we need a warrior mentality when he's writing this one. Someone play Danzing's Mother on loop.

C'mon. Willie must be racist. He probably spent time around David Allan Coe. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

If you needed more proof there's some serious organization and orchestration going on, nation-wide, you have it now.

SIAP, but if our main desire is to have true diversity, we need to adhere to the racial/ethnic makeup of our state.  Applying those data to say, football scholarships, we would need to have a total of 10 Black or African-American players on scholly (12.3%). 

Does that sound fair?

7 minutes ago, deech said:

Very easy compromise - donate the same amount sough to scholarships for minorities.

I thought UT recently announced free tuition for all Texas resident students from families that had incomes less than $70,000 or  thereabout. 

5 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

If they’re seriously discussing getting rid of “Eyes” then I’m in support of just shutting the entire program down. 

This fake activist bs is getting tired.

Ha. You can go be aggy then, I guess. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luka Skywalker said:

If they’re seriously discussing getting rid of “Eyes” then I’m in support of just shutting the entire program down. 

Beat me to it. Fuck it, at this point I'm pretty much gonna give that one a try. 

I'd say shut the entire Athletics Department down, except for student-run club sports, and all that needs is a little oversight, if that much.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Tex Long said:

Beat me to it. Fuck it, at this point I'm pretty much gonna give that one a try. 

I'd say shut the entire Athletics Department down, except for student-run club sports, and all that needs is a little oversight, if that much.

Fucking Quidditch fan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I'm not necessarily in favor of disassociating with the song but this argument sucks. Are you really that self-centered that you can't imagine how a student of color would take even slight issue with the university glorifying a song that originated at minstrel shows?

self centered? huh? i think i already answered your question in the very post you quoted. of course i can imagine a black student taking slight issue with glorifying a song that originated at minstrel shows. can you see that the actual reality of the situation is that the song has existed and been used to bring literally millions of people together for decades now, and has never been used to divide or degrade anyone? forget your hypotheticals about how this song "may" make some hypothetical student uncomfortable, the reality of the situation is that the song has brought people together, not divided them. as a tradition at Texas the song has never been sung to hurt anyone, but rather to unify them. Earl, Vince, Ricky, TJ, KD, etc all sang it proudly and have nothing but fond memories of it. That's the reality of the song.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So you're going to take your ball and go home?

• Like 1

The eyes of the government are upon you

All the live long days

You can not get away

Do not think you can escape them 

At night or early in the morn

As long as you use your phone 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 3

A satirical song got flipped on its head and now means more to me than some racist Cowboy generations ago could possibly. imagine.

I can get down with all the other demands, but the Eyes unites all of us win or lose. Seeing it go would be tough especially knowing that whatever it’s replaced with is going to be hot Steve Patterson-esque focus grouped garbage.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

I think my biggest "issue" (if you even want to call it that) with this whole thing is saying that they're going to hold the recruiting etc... hostage until all of it is changed.

Like, that's the last thing Thomas and Co need right now. 

1 minute ago, Llano Estacado said:

A satirical song got flipped on its head and now means more to me than some racist Cowboy generations ago could possibly. imagine.

I can get down with all the other demands, but the Eyes unites all of us win or lose. Seeing it go would be tough especially knowing that whatever it’s replaced with is going to be hot Steve Patterson-esque focus grouped garbage.

This is a point that I can completely understand from the other side.

37 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wanna know if lsu is gonna change their mascot/name. 

They are named the tigers because louisiana’s division in the civil war fought like (and we nicknamed) “tigers”

I could be wrong, but I think it's the same story with Carolina Tarheels and Kentucky Wildcats.  Probably others too.

10 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

This fake activist bs is getting tired.

Shut it down for 2-3 years like UAB and purge the malcontents. 

• Like 2

Just now, Red Five said:

This is fucking ridiculous.

I know I can’t believe people are getting so outraged. It’s a 90 second song, just fucking change it.  Hell, let Colt and Ship team up to write a new one  

Oh wait, they don’t want to change it and would rather football just disappear instead? Hm. Weird 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

It's a fucking song. It can easily be replaced by another song which will again unite everyone. This generation will bitch and moan until we die off. The next and following generations won't know any differently. In 40 years, that generation will bitch that the now new song which united everyone is replaced by a newer song. 

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I think my biggest "issue" (if you even want to call it that) with this whole thing is saying that they're going to hold the recruiting etc... hostage until all of it is changed.

Yeah, that’s cutting off your nose to spite your face. Give in to my demands or I’ll make our team shittier! 

• Like 1

In any negotiation it's good to overask and hope for a compromise that meets your actually wants. Ask any one of the thousand do nothing lawyers on here.

Sometimes your ask could be so ridiculous you get put on ice like the nation of CHAZ. I believe the ask for the song is approaching that realm. Maybe I should re-read the lyrics because it's the words that matter not the melody.

1 minute ago, Luka Skywalker said:

I’m all for renaming the buildings. I hate the idea of a percentage of revenue going to BLM or any far left or far right political organizations.

Getting rid of the song is overkill. America and pretty much the entire world has some form of racism in its past. It’s terrible but getting rid of a song because it had a similar lyric to a song sung at Washington & Lee? When does it stop? Jeans outlawed because they are made of cotton and that Has racial undertones? Dumb. Again fake activists smelling blood in the water and capitalizing on outrage.

No, you're missing the obvious point. Maybe take a look at this.

• Like 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

All the, “it’s just a song” responses are amusing. You know that argument cuts both ways, right?

Meh...it is, in fact, just a song. 

1.  Come up with a new one. 

2.  Have Lowell Galindo sing it.

3.  ????

4. Profit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We need to change the name of Washington DC, remove the Washington monument, the Jefferson memorial, etc. - they owned slaves. We also need to change the name of the City of Austin as well.  Houston to.  And the Alamo?  A number of those brave defenders owned slaves - several city and county names will need to be changed to.

How far do we go?

• Like 10
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, landman said:

We need to change the name of Washington DC, remove the Washington monument, the Jefferson memorial, etc. - they owned slaves. We also need to change the name of the City of Austin as well.  Houston to.  And the Alamo?  A number of those brave defenders owned slaves - several city and county names will need to be changed to.

How far do we go?

We start with the current non-Lowell Galindo song....

29 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh no, your precious fight song that's sung twice a game might be dropped. How will Texas Athletics survive?

Fuck off. The Eyes of Texas is our fucking fight song. You might be fine with sacrificing anything the cultural Robespierres might want to chop off but maybe the rest of us who value our history don’t. I’m waiting for you and the rest of the cabal to chime in and agree with your bullshit position. This isn’t the same thing as the traitor Confederate flag or statues

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 12
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

All the, “it’s just a song” responses are amusing. You know that argument cuts both ways, right?

No, it's a just a song that they are forced to stop down and sing before and after every game. So if they're saying they don't want to sing it because it has racist undertones, want it gone, and you still force them to sing it, what do you think that makes them want to do?

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

In any negotiation it's good to overask and hope for a compromise that meets your actually wants. Ask any one of the thousand do nothing lawyers on here.

Sometimes your ask could be so ridiculous you get put on ice like the nation of CHAZ. I believe the ask for the song is approaching that realm. Maybe I should re-read the lyrics because it's the words that matter not the melody.

No doubt, you over-ask, but I'm not going to pretend that these kids are skilled in the arts of negotiation and won't just go for it all or walk.

Puts Tom in a pretty shitty situation, if he wasn't already having a heckuva time. Trying to back his players, but he knows it's gunna be an uphill battle with the admin and donors. He's gotta be shitting himself. 

Just now, landman said:

How far do we go?

We need to go farther than that. Break up the whole country, everyone leave and head back to where your ancestors are from because bad shit happened in the past and people just can't cope

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

• Like 3