Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

47 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wanna know if lsu is gonna change their mascot/name. 

They are named the tigers because louisiana’s division in the civil war fought like (and we nicknamed) “tigers”

Lol. As if the citizens of Louisiana or students at LSU have rights. 

37 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Honestly, and this isn't a mad reaction or anything, but.... shouldn't the players, if they feel this way about the university's history, just walk off the campus and go play somewhere else less raycess?

Really good idea right here. You should definitely write CDC and Herman a letter about this. 

19 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

If they’re seriously discussing getting rid of “Eyes” then I’m in support of just shutting the entire program down. 

This fake activist bs is getting tired.

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Beat me to it. Fuck it, at this point I'm pretty much gonna give that one a try. 

I'd say shut the entire Athletics Department down, except for student-run club sports, and all that needs is a little oversight, if that much.

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Shut it down for 2-3 years like UAB and purge the malcontents. 

I can only assume you’re going to start your moral stand by no longer posting on Surly from here on out.

Later guys. You will be deeply missed. 

Oh and @VirginiaLonghorn better be joining join this group since He’s liking the posts about shutting the program down. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

That's the thing we gotta come to grips with, we don't all have to same perspectives 

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Fuck off. The Eyes of Texas is our fucking fight song. You might be fine with sacrificing anything the cultural Robespierres might want to chop off but maybe the rest of us who value our history don’t. I’m waiting for you and the rest of the cabal to chime in and agree with your bullshit position. This isn’t the same thing as the traitor Confederate flag or statues

Ha. Yes, it's about history. And the black players are saying they want it changed because its history was founded on making fun of people like them. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

but but...turdition!

Star-Spangled Banner was written by a man who owned slaves, so we should get rid of that one too, right?

I understand why the origins are controversial and why we shouldn't force those that don't want to sing it to sing it, but the argument that the origins of the song and not the contents invalidate the song is a slippery slope. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

man, the Texas Football IG is all over this. like 4-5 days ago they played what i thought was a pretty cool compilation/hype video featuring that Gucci Mane/Jimmy Fallon "Eyes of Texas" remix, along with a dozen+ cameos from famous celebrities and alums flashing the "Hook em" sign. I just went and checked and it's gone now. I scrolled back a couple of months and didn't see any videos containing the song. it's already being removed. damn. 

Herman needs to support the players.  Once I watched above video that includes the history of "The Eyes of Texas",  I realized it has a horrible history...

UT should move quickly to remove the song, and move forward with making other changes to remove names/items that have racist undertones...

"What Starts Here Changes the World"  🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

Star-Spangled Banner was written by a man who owned slaves, so we should get rid of that one too, right?

I understand why the origins are controversial and why we shouldn't force those that don't want to sing it to sing it, but the argument that the origins of the song and not the contents invalidate the song is a slippery slope. 

that too is just a fucking song.

traditions are traditions until they are changed. there's a reason why having slaves is no longer a tradition. people grow. times change.

• Like 2

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

If the Eyes had racists lyrics, I could understand and support. But just because it used to be performed in minstrel shows? Fuck that. It is no longer performed in minstrel shows. The song wasnt the racist part. It was the minstrel show. The required change has been made. I support educating people on its origins but we can't take something that is not racist on its own and then take its origin out of context, apply today's morals and norms, and condemn it. There is not a racist word in the Eyes. It doesnt have a racist meaning. It is a unifying message for ALL Texans. The origin is important to know and understand but is in no way shape or form associated with or related to the current version, meaning, or performance of the song. 

“The Eyes Shall Rise Again!!!!!!”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

If the Eyes had racists lyrics, I could understand and support. But just because it used to be performed in minstrel shows? Fuck that. It is no longer performed in minstrel shows. The song wasnt the racist part. It was the minstrel show. The required change has been made. I support educating people on its origins but we can't take something that is not racist on its own and then take its origin out of context, apply today's morals and norms, and condemn it. There is not a racist word in the Eyes. It doesnt have a racist meaning. It is a unifying message for ALL Texans. The origin is important to know and understand but is in no way shape or form associated with or related to the current version, meaning, or performance of the song. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

Perception is reality. Pick this hill to die on with black, young men and see what happens. Those same black men happen to be the lifeblood of the program. There are also black boys who can play this sport really well who are watching. You think you've seen negative recruiting? Ha.

I see both sides. Only one side controls whether or not this University fields a competitive football team, which - for purposes of this board - is all that matters.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It wasn't. I'm not saying that at all. My point was, you're only here at this university a short period of time. If you're just finding out how racist the history of a lot of these things around you are, then do you really still love it that much, and wouldn't it just be easier to start over somewhere else? 

thinking on it a bit more, it makes sense that you'd try to change the thing you love for the better. 

Sure. I can see that side. 

Well, that would mean leaving the south for college entirely. And for me personally, fuck cold weather, that’s not happening.

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Perception is reality. Pick this hill to die on with black, young men and see what happens. Those same black men happen to be the lifeblood of the program. There are also black boys who can play this sport really well who are watching. You think you've seen negative recruiting? Ha.

I see both sides. Only one side controls whether or not this University fields a competitive football team, which - for purposes of this board - is all that matters.

Correct. To go against these demands would be suicide

I'm sure at a minimum, the University will say players who don't wish to sing the song will not have to as they work towards some sort of compromise. They may not have to now but it always makes people angry if a player doesn't do it. Or even the Wickline stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

that too is just a fucking song.

traditions are traditions until they are changed. there's a reason why having slaves is no longer a tradition. people grow. times change.

Yes, because slavery is on equal terms to an alma mater song. Great fucking argument there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Except is wasn't just a song that happened to be performed at minstrel shows. From my understanding the song was literally written for a minstrel show. It's a song written to be performed by racist white people in exaggerated blackface with the specific goal of intimidating and demeaning blacks.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Maybe the whole system is exploitative and it's time to get back to the true concept of student athlete like the Ivy League

• Like 8

Just now, mdmost said:

I'm sure at a minimum, the University will say players who don't wish to sing the song will not have to as they work towards some sort of compromise. They may not have to now but it always makes people angry if a player doesn't do it. Or even the Wickline stuff. 

I'm totally fine with this. But, I'm not sure they'll want to play in a stadium that held segregated teams for decades anyway, so we'll need to build a new stadium. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

You’re saying it’s just a song to some people who clearly feel pretty strongly about it and dismissing their feelings as irrelevant. 

Do the racist origins of the song outweigh what it means to generations of people who attach positive significance to it and have no idea of any racist connotations? Is the song inherently racist? Is the fact that nearly everyone (including people of color) was likely ignorant of its origin until that article appeared a couple of years ago relevant? Do the origins of a thing or it’s subsequent history matter more? How do we take into account the strong emotions on both sides of this issue?

All of these, and more, are legitimate questions that should be asked before any actions are taken (and it’s basically what @Goo Punch was getting at). It can’t be “just a song” when it’s convenient to dismiss dissent and then a powerful symbol when it isn’t. 

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 10
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I'm totally fine with this. But, I'm not sure they'll want to play in a stadium that held segregated teams for decades anyway, so we'll need to build a new stadium. 

Then you could hand them the tampon you are now using. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

let’s change our uniforms too. just uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah. I mean I get what the players are going with here, but I seriously doubt the "just a song" crowd would be cool with "just a uniform." I've seen people murdered over that discussion. Twice. 

• Like 1