Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Oh and @VirginiaLonghorn better be joining join this group since He’s liking the posts about shutting the program down. 

It's not really about sports and games, though. It's about keeping errbody fighting over false issues. None of this is really about Black vs White, or even White vs Errbody. It's about controlling hoi polloi, and one of the major methods is multiple divide-and-rule controversies, thrown like a bone for the doggies to fight over. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Yes, because slavery is on equal terms to an alma mater song. Great fucking argument there. 

no but that song represents a racist past which we as a society and especially black people are trying to move past. it may be a harmless song to represent your school. it means a fuckton more to the players on the field. 

question, before I get wrecked here for asking this.  But did these guys just decide to wake up today and say you know this 100 year song that we've been singling.  I dont like it and im not gonna play until you change it.  Perhaps these are the guys going to chaz next  i dunno. but this should provide quality recruiting ammo against us,  you know if the no draft pic shitty decade donestt work you can use this recent stuf against us 

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ha. Yes, it's about history. And the black players are saying they want it changed because its history was founded on making fun of people like them. 

The origins of the fight song versus decades of fans singing it without a hint of racial animus. If the origin was racist it is wrong. It hasn’t had any tinge of racism until hearing about this claim now.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Why? Because the student athletes are finally realizing their worth to the university and making demands for a more just world for them, their families, and friends?

Does UT hold itself to a higher standard or doesn't it? Is the motto "What starts here changes the world" just lip service or does it really live by that credo?

Well we can't have our athletes going and getting all, you know... uppity.  

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Honestly, and this isn't a mad reaction or anything, but.... shouldn't the players, if they feel this way about the university's history, just walk off the campus and go play somewhere else less raycess?

This is like saying if you don't like some of American laws, go live in a different country, which is what racist people say. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm totally fine with this. But, I'm not sure they'll want to play in a stadium that held segregated teams for decades anyway, so we'll need to build a new stadium. 

This is what I meant earlier when saying that this could go on forever. Not trying to make the same ole trite slippery slope argument, it's just a reality if we are going this route, that this university could be completely unrecognizable and then, what's the attachment for anyone?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

no but that song represents a racist past which we as a society and especially black people are trying to move past. it may be a harmless song to represent your school. it means a fuckton more to the players on the field. 

Doesn't the team itself represent just as much of a racist past?

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

DAMN... never thought that I would write this, but after watching that video, it's time to no longer use "The Eyes of Texas" as the school song... 🤘

Same here. Original thought was no f-in way... after the video... yeah, I'm good with a new song.

ps: seeing a bunch of "slippery slope" comments... what part of your slope does blackface parody origins exist at?

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This is like saying if you don't like some of American laws, go live in a different country, which is what racist people say. 

It's already been established that that is indeed not what I was trying to say. Thanks 

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yes. If you cut it right down the middle, it does. Wearing basically the same unis they wore back when they wouldn't allow black players. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

question, before I get wrecked here for asking this.  But did these guys just decide to wake up today and say you know this 100 year song that we've been singling.  I dont like it and im not gonna play until you change it.  Perhaps these are the guys going to chaz next  i dunno. but this should provide quality recruiting ammo against us,  you know if the no draft pic shitty decade donestt work you can use this recent stuf against us 

What on earth is the chaz thing that people keep referencing?

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm sure at a minimum, the University will say players who don't wish to sing the song will not have to as they work towards some sort of compromise. They may not have to now but it always makes people angry if a player doesn't do it. Or even the Wickline stuff. 

I seriously doubt many people know the history of the origins of the song.  But they will now.  Do you think with this new understanding most people will have a different reaction to players, coaches, whomever not singing the song?

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You can of course go fuck yourself, but the stadium analogy actually makes more sense than getting rid of The Eyes. 

The SE section of Memorial stadium was “reserved” for Negroes when I arrived here.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I highly doubt the University points out all of this on campus tours. So perhaps in the mass awakening and call to action that our players are getting, they learned things about the University that they don't like and want changed. 

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Again, using your logic, pretty much every single thing from before the Civil Rights Era and a hell a lot of stuff after that should also be removed. Should we also take down the 1969 national championship as it represents a much more abhorrent condition, a team before integration during a time when integration was happening for awhile?

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Then why shouldn't we get rid of the whole system?

That was my whole observation earlier, but instead of thinking it through, I was just considered some "don't like it leave it get the hell out speak english cum-prendy" raycesssttt.

The origins of the fight song versus decades of fans singing it without a hint of racial animus. If the origin was racist it is wrong. It hasn’t had any tinge of racism until hearing about this claim now.

the meaning of the song has completely changed over time. I didn’t even know of the racist origins until now, and I had season tickets since before I was a freshman in ‘00. it’s not quite the same thing as honoring a racist person by naming a building or erecting a statue. i’d love to hear what prior players have to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I seriously doubt many people know the history of the origins of the song.  But they will now.  Do you think with this new understanding most people will have a different reaction to players, coaches, whomever not singing the song?

Of course not. It will be NFL kneeling all over again. 

3 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Texas used to be a segregated university.  Burn it down.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's like the concept of growth is lost on some of you. There's a reason why change is slow. Because old white people are fucking set in their ways. Because to you tradition is more important than being inconvenienced to sing a new song which doesn't offend the players on the field play the sport that you are so fanatic about. This is exactly like what Tom Herman said about the players vs the old white fans. Are the players only purpose to satisfy your entertainment? Do their voices and the value as people not matter? Or do they only matter up to the point where you are inconvenienced?

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

traditions are traditions until they are changed. there's a reason why having slaves is no longer a tradition. people grow. times change.

Because owning slaves is morally fucking wrong? Unlike singing an inherently non-racist song that happened to be sung by some idiots in a minstrel show.  I don't really see the comparison.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Except is wasn't just a song that happened to be performed at minstrel shows. From my understanding the song was literally written for a minstrel show. It's a song written to be performed by racist white people in exaggerated blackface with the specific goal of intimidating and demeaning blacks.

But that is not correct. It was written by students who were making fun of the Dean's "the eyes of texas are upon you" motto and then matched up to Working on the Railroad's tune as a parody of the Dean. It was written by young students for the purpose of making fun of the old dean. It was performed at minstrel shows but that wasnt the only place or reason it was performed. it was part of University life back then.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Then why shouldn't we get rid of the whole system?

You could make the argument that we should, if this is how we're going about things now.

Crazy to think deeply about. But I'm considering just dwelling on the surface with the rest. Now taking offers on which side to join: "You're probably racist!; or "You liberal pussy!"

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

TexasEx here, and lots of family that graduated from "The University".

I no longer want to sing the song or have it used by "The University" 🤘

2 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

How is Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma not catching heat right now? I mean racism permeates their histories.

Perhaps their players are too busy concentrating on winning football games. 

Clemson is.  I know Watson is advocating for the removal of Calhoun from the honors college.

Saying “the meaning of the song has changed” grabs me as being somewhat akin to the “heritage not hate argument”. The point of this being brought up is not about what the song means to a bunch of spare white dudes online who are used to hearing it, it’s about what it means to those players who are bringing it up. I’m sure everyone in the past who was shown to have actually been on the wrong side of history whined and bitched about change at the time it was happening but, oh well, that’s how it goes.

• Like 1

Look at all these supposedly grown men crying on the internet over a fucking song. If our black athletes don't like the song then get rid of it, who gives a fuck it's a song, holy shit.

What a bunchy of whiny ass babies. "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DON'T TAKE MY SONG, WAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

JFC

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

How is Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma not catching heat right now? I mean racism permeates their histories.

Perhaps their players are too busy concentrating on winning football games. 

They will. Our history isn't any that different from basically any large university in the south, and many in the north as well. They'll all be dealing with these kind of things before too long. That it's happening to us now is an opportunity - we can either lead or be led.

In the end, I think @texifornia is on to something. The players had to know that the Eyes was going to be the real big ask. Not one person on this thread has mentioned the buildings or statues yet, other than to say that they don't give a fuck. It will be relatively easy for the university (and the fans/alumni) to agree to that stuff now, and hammer out some compromise on the Eyes (no one required to stay and sing it, education for incoming freshmen on the origins of the song).

• Like 1