Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

26 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't envy CDC here.  AT all.  Both your black athletes and your old white donors have your athletic department by the balls.   How do you appease both sides?  And you know what doesn't help?  The fact that we've fucking sucked ass for a decade.  Regardless of this issue, we have a bunch of fans sick and tired of spending a shit load of money on a shit product.   So now you have these demands before a season starts where you are almost certainly going to have some form of crowd restrictions in place (giving season ticket holders the opportunity to cancel).  This could be a disaster.  Take away "The Eyes" and it may give a lot of fans the excuse they were looking for to say fuck it.

And I see some suggested the compromise be "sing the eyes but the athletes don't have to sing it".  I just don't think that's going to work.   That's going to turn every fucking UT sporting event into a protest where attendees are going to have to "declare a side" by standing for the eyes or sitting down.  That's a disaster in the making.

I don't know what the answer is but bet CDC wished he kept his ass at TCU right about now.

This is it. The players making these demands have sucked shit through a straw. Fan support is already waning. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m actually surprised by how many people want to die on this hill, and even more, they use the same tropes of “what’s next, give the state back to the Indians” hyperbole 

It is just a song. 

and people are melting down 

Like I said on the first page, it's the cfb version of "well gay marriage isn't that bad, but if you allow it then pedophilia is next!!!"

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

before we had football players to provide us a moral compass

Moral compass or history lesson?

It will be interesting to see if "What starts here changes the world" is more than just a catchy phrase.

3 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

I'm sure that $20 will go a long way.

Like I said before, do you want to be the school who did the right thing even though it's expensive, or the school who did nothing because it's too expensive?

You are the one harping on the third option, which is to do the right thing cheaply.

Give me door number one. 

Edited by TornACL

49 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

If you pull a donor's name off a building, the money should be returned to the donor's family with interest.

46 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

The school shouldn't keep their tainted money.

Donor would have a pretty decent promissory estoppel claim also.

34 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Some are.  For those, the only right thing to do is to return the money.  Littlefield certainly donated the money for the fountain.  $200,000 donation plus interest for 100 years is a tidy sum.  

6 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

It's hypocritical and wrong to pull Littlefield's name from shit he donated while keeping the money he donated.  There is no "obvious logical fallacy" to that.

Lololol Thanks for putting your stupidity on full display. Show me the contract where UT committed to leave his name on the building until the end of time. You act as if there are so many clearly spelled out conditions to the money he gave as if it was a professional sponsorship agreement, not a donation. Just the very nature of a “donation” means he is giving money away, not receiving consideration. He/his family are not owed any damages, and UT wouldn’t be doing anything immoral  by changing the name after Littlefield has had his name on there for 100 fucking years. 

You’re like those losers on twitter who scream “THINK ABOUT THE OWNERS!!!” every time a CBA comes up. The Littlefield family are not the ones suffering an injustice in the scenario you brought up. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

So? He's a reporter reporting on the story. 

Not criticizing you re-posting a tweet. 

Davis Is just a hack, all the way back to being Patterson's lapdog.   He just as soon talked to his next-door neighbor in Austin and sister in Tacoma as he did talk to 2 Texas players. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

So much crying so soon in response to an initial list of requirements. Apparently nobody around here has ever negotiated. 

Not to mention the possible counterproposals that the athletic department could make on the song point. They could offer a multimedia campaign that recognizes the original racist undertones but then transitions to a message that "today, WE are the Eyes of Texas" showing a diverse set of current Texas athletes looking at the camera. That's just a quick simple idea. Tell the athletes that their concerns are valid and that when the song was written the world was a much worse place where minorities were not considered "the eyes of Texas" that the song discusses. But that thanks to the efforts of those before them and the continuing efforts they are making today and their successors will make in the future, things have improved and will keep improving. That while it wasn't the case when the song was written, today there is no doubt that theirs are the eyes of Texas. 

But instead of thinking I guess whining like your world is ending is easier. Good luck. 

Seriously. They've honestly done a good job of making a group of people ready to drag their heels in about everything go "well fine, the building names are kind of gross and we should change them..." before launching into their Eyes spiel.

(And I want to keep the Eyes!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lololol Thanks for putting your stupidity on full display. Show me the contract where UT committed to leave his name on the building until the end of time. You act as if there are so many clearly spelled out conditions to the money he gave as if it was a professional sponsorship agreement, not a donation. Just the very nature of a “donation” means he is giving money away, not receiving consideration. He/his family are not owed any damages, and UT wouldn’t be doing anything immoral  by changing the name after Littlefield has had his name on there for 100 fucking years. 

You’re like those losers on twitter who scream “THINK ABOUT THE OWNERS!!!” every time a CBA comes up. The Littlefield family are not the ones suffering an injustice in the scenario you brought up. 

It would not be a breach of contract.  It would be promissory estoppel.  

• Fuck You 3

24 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Hey....ppsssttttt......they dont give a shit about yours either

Good! They shouldn't. What they should care about is my Foundation donation and how loud I cheer from my seats. The players are not realizing that this ask of theirs can rip our fanbase apart.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 1

I actually have more respect for the people who straight up own their "I want to sing my song because it's what I have always done, fuck everyone else" takes. 

It's a bad look, but at least it's honest.

It's much better than the cowardly "What's next?!?" pearl clutching crowd, because we all know what some of y'all are really wanting to say. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

On another note, I've always hated the Main Building because, well, it's that color.  So while we're at it in today's' world, let's go ahead and take the fucker down. (But someone other than that demo crew in Dallas needs to do the job.)

On another note, if you think the people that run and fund the University are going to allow the Eyes to be eliminated then you probably need to recalibrate things and / or your hopes.     Not going to happen.

If you think a song is that important, you need to recalibrate things and/or your hopes. SydneyCarton already outlined why the image of a bunch of white fans singing a perceived racist song at black players will not be something the university wants to deal with.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Hook em Horns hand sign was introduced in 1955 in support of an all white football team so I'm guessing it will be next on the hit list.

In order to fire the team up before a critical game against TCU. So it’s frogist as well. 

2 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

It would not be a breach of contract.  It would be promissory estoppel.  

Lulz. You don’t even know what that means. They would never win a promissory estoppel claim for a donation made 100 years ago, nor should they. 

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Then you can acknowledge that Mizzou had FAR greater issues with campus political division than this, and also didn't actually materially change any of their football gameday traditions. It's a very different situation, just like Ole Miss' (which actually did involve changing the gameday experience and their fight song and mascot).

Those divisions and campus protests at Mizzou caused a massive drop in applications and attendance at sporting events. If going to a UT game is going to get politicized over signing the Eyes you're going to create a similar toxic stew which none of us wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The racist character of the Eyes of Texas is gossamer, vanishingly thin.

I guess we should ban all songs that were performed in segregated venues at one time or another.

Exactly. I'm all for addressing and correcting grievances. To call this a stretch is a complete understatement.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you think a song is that important, you need to recalibrate things and/or your hopes. SydneyCarton already outlined why the image of a bunch of white fans singing a perceived racist song at black players will not be something the university wants to deal with.

Oh, I can understand why this could happen given where we are .   Nothing is off the table.   It's the new normal.

Just don't think this will happen.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah unless the students/athletes reverse course on this, I think it's a done deal. The waters are already poisoned, not sure you can turn back now.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. You don’t even know what that means. They would never win a promissory estoppel claim for a donation made 100 years ago, nor should they. 

I’m curious.  You mind explaining.  I actually have a case right now where promissory estoppel survived summary judgment on a donation made to a nonprofit in 1905 and the donee nonprofit recently breached some promises made to the donor (another nonprofit) that were made to secure the gift. 

And the judge wasn’t afraid to rule.  She granted summary judgment on many of the other claims.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Like I said on the first page, it's the cfb version of "well gay marriage isn't that bad, but if you allow it then pedophilia is next!!!"

That logic doesn't follow. And neither does the request about the song.

If you're against things that have a history of racism then be for that. Picking out a song with that logic and ignoring everything else is weak. 

What's next the Star Spangled Banner?  The country was founded on slavery and most didnt think that song included slaves as being free.  So what, let's shut down the whole country and most of its traditions?  Some things go too far and are fucking stupid.  I'm all for speaking against social injustices and support those causes, today.  But The Eyes of Texas and not singing the song imo isn't one of them and is fucking stupid.  I suppose if you don't want to sing it than fine don't make them, but fuck you if you want to replace it.   Sorry but i've never paid much attention to the opinion of most  18-25 year olds.  This request is one reason why.  

Username does not check out
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So much crying so soon in response to an initial list of requirements. Apparently nobody around here has ever negotiated. 

Not to mention the possible counterproposals that the athletic department could make on the song point. They could offer a multimedia campaign that recognizes the original racist undertones but then transitions to a message that "today, WE are the Eyes of Texas" showing a diverse set of current Texas athletes looking at the camera. That's just a quick simple idea. Tell the athletes that their concerns are valid and that when the song was written the world was a much worse place where minorities were not considered "the eyes of Texas" that the song discusses. But that thanks to the efforts of those before them and the continuing efforts they are making today and their successors will make in the future, things have improved and will keep improving. That while it wasn't the case when the song was written, today there is no doubt that theirs are the eyes of Texas. 

But instead of thinking I guess whining like your world is ending is easier. Good luck. 

That sounds like an excellent compromise to me and opportunity for real growth and understanding. 

I'll get negged for this, but next up are they going to demand to ban white people from attending the games? What about the white players? White coaches?

Where does it stop? Everything can be racist if you try hard enough.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

All the, “it’s just a song” responses are amusing. You know that argument cuts both ways, right?

To me, it’s just a song. To the student-athletes that are requesting it be removed, it’s a signal of racism.

Don’t get me wrong, some of my favorite memories involve singing that song, but I’ll defer to the current students and athletes on whether to change it.

Just now, stone oak said:

I'll get negged for this, but next up are they going to demand to ban white people from attending the games? What about the white players? White coaches?

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE WHITE PEOPLE!!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Is there any problem with "Texas Fight"? Obviously sans the version where the eyes is sung during it.

More to the point. What even is the song? Sure it's been sung for decades...but what is it really? It's time for a new tradition. It's time for something that everyone will be behind and unified in. Quite frankly, it only makes the university stronger together so why would someone not support this? Also, in regards to donations to BLM, I would also like to ask that the donations be extended to all people of color, unless that is the point and I just didn't see it. It was exclusiveness that has gotten us here, and that is a tradition that most certainly needs to stop. 

Just now, mdmost said:

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE WHITE PEOPLE!!!!

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

You obviously didn't read page 3 of their demands, which includes banning any white people who make dumb fuck message board posts. 

Sorry bud I think you're up first. 

• Haha 1