Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

This is where I’d think most reasonable people would be.  But lately I haven’t seen too many reasonable people...
Reason left the building in the US a long time ago.

And I agree with Mitch's take.

But I do think there needs to be a hard look at cancel culture here in the US. It is a culture that does not foster debate and discussion.
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I'm sure it is just oddly coincidental that there is so much overlap in the Venn diagram between the "We can't have any politics in the Daily Texan now let's talk about these totally not political topics like New York City taxation" people and the "These black athletes need to just shut the fuck up" people. 

Part of the reason there’s an overwhelming majority who want to keep politics out of Daily Texan is that it usually degenerates into attacks rather than discourse. Like deliberately misconstruing, “I don’t consider The Eyes to be racist” as “these black athletes need to just shut the up.”

• Like 3

One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet, I really wonder what if anything Ehlinger is going to say. He didn't post the letter on Twitter today. 

Sam probably feels the same way about The Eyes many of us do. He grew watching games with his dad, presumably staying until the end and singing it. He worked his way to be the starting quarterback for the University of Texas and I know singing that song on the field with his teammates means something to him. I understand the emotional attachment he may have to it, I have it too.

He is going to be in a really tough spot with his teammates now. He's been vocal about advocating for BLM recently but this is sort of where the rubber meets the road for him. I hope and trust he'll be able to hear his teammates out. And maybe, he'll be able to articulate just why so many fans and former teammates feel so strongly about a song.

• Like 2

Just now, formermav43 said:

Part of the reason there’s an overwhelming majority who want to keep politics out of Daily Texan is that it usually degenerates into attacks rather than discourse. Like deliberately misconstruing, “I don’t consider The Eyes to be racist” as “these black athletes need to just shut the up.”

It doesn't matter if you don't think it's racist. If it has racist origins and the targets of the racism feel it as an insult then it's racist.

For example, the vast majority of people don't realize that the phrase "getting gypped" is racist. But it is. Your feelings and the fact that your intent in using that phrase is 100% free of racism doesn't change the fact that it's racist (in this sentence "your" is used in the general sense; I should have said "one's" instead but that would just sound too haughty).

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

And 99% of them didn’t know any history of some damn melody a century ago until today. It’s such a reach to make a melody racist. It’s getting absurd

This, people are trying to be offended and im fucking done. They change this song, I will not donate another cent or go to another game. Enough is enough. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Oh my God... We can't let this opportunity go to waste.

Let's be frank here. Other than being the school song and the emotions associated with it, "The Eyes of Texas" is a pre-kindergarten tune set to the insipid half-assed ramblings of a drunken frat boy for lyrics. I've thought it was a stupid song since '89 when I first sung it in earnest and it is still an idiotic song.

Look, we're not Aggy. We don't continue to do stupid things because of "tradition." We accept traditions because they are cool. Burnt orange is cool. The Bevo logo is cool. "The Eyes of Texas"... is inane.

I don't care if the song is racist or not. Those of you arguing whether it is or isn't are missing the motherfucking point. We now have hand-delivered to us on a golden platter an opportunity to finally get ourselves a good school song.

Call Willie. Give him a big fat commission to write us a new song. Problem fucking solved. 

Um. Nah.

A school song isn't supposed to be some magnum opus of lyrical prose and orchestral arrangement.

It should be kind of catchy, easy to sing, and somehow relevant to the student experience.  EOT fills that role nicely.

tl: dr your opinion sucks.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It doesn't matter if you don't think it's racist. If it has racist origins and the targets of the racism feel it as an insult then it's racist.

For example, the vast majority of people don't realize that the phrase "getting gypped" is racist. But it is. Your feelings and the fact that your intent in using that phrase is 100% free of racism doesn't change the fact that it's racist (in this sentence "your" is used in the general sense; I should have said "one's" instead but that would just sound too haughty).

Your mom has racist origins should we cancel you because you are a racist?

It's getting late and i've been too rational.  Couldn't resist going full Surly.

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And if African American Alumni don’t agree with this interpretation of the song they don’t get a voice?  If one individual feels something is racist other voices don’t matter?  We have no more room for debate?

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet, I really wonder what if anything Ehlinger is going to say. He didn't post the letter on Twitter today. 

Sam probably feels the same way about The Eyes many of us do. He grew watching games with his dad, presumably staying until the end and singing it. He worked his way to be the starting quarterback for the University of Texas and I know singing that song on the field with his teammates means something to him. I understand the emotional attachment he may have to it, I have it too.

He is going to be in a really tough spot with his teammates now. He's been vocal about advocating for BLM recently but this is sort of where the rubber meets the road for him. I hope and trust he'll be able to hear his teammates out. And maybe, he'll be able to articulate just why so many fans and former teammates feel so strongly about a song.

You're not gonna agree with everything, and I feel like out of everything this is fringe for the movement.

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He would be the first if he does.  

Edited by RollLeft

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

And if African American Alumni don’t agree with this interpretation of the song they don’t get a voice?  If one individual feels something is racist other voices don’t matter?  We have no more rooms for debate?

It is 2020 those are the rules. 

Real Housewives No GIF by Robert E Blackmon

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And if African American Alumni don’t agree with this interpretation of the song they don’t get a voice?  If one individual feels something is racist other voices don’t matter?  We have no more room for debate?

I never even implied any of this. Try not to let your feelings get in the way of logic.

We have proof that many people feel this song with racist origins is racist against them. Try to understand them and work with them. As I indicated in post #416 I would prefer the song stay but the correct approach is to discuss it openly and reach an agreement with the current players. We have a bunch of middle-aged men on here getting their fee-fees hurt because a hack song we all sing together is under attack. Instead of coming up with a rational approach that can be used to reach out to the young adults on the team everyone just wants to dig in their heels and whine. It's pretty depressing that the adults are responding to this by acting like toddlers.

We have the experience of years that they lack, so let's act like it. You know, rather than crying like a bunch of babies. The idea that without this song my time on campus and my life as a self-identified Longhorn would be irrevocably damaged is one of the silliest, dumbest, and bitchiest concepts I can imagine. Seriously. Some people on this thread need to grow the fuck up.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

And 99% of them didn’t know any history of some damn melody a century ago until today. It’s such a reach to make a melody racist. It’s getting absurd

And everyone is going to get busy being offended by every little thing, and lose site of the real issues that need to be addressed.   

• Like 2

Question. 

Where did all this "no room for debate" nonsense come from?

Did anybody actually read their shit? They made a request. Literally a request. Says it right there at the top of Page 2.

Not a demand. Not an order. A request. 

So what happens next. They get time with CDC to discuss. Guess what, he's already tweeted that he looks forward to meaningful conversations and discussions. 

Guess what that means. They'll toss these topics around. Perhaps even debate them, I would presume in a reasoned and respectful manner. 

Take a breath. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Question. 

Did anybody actually read their shit? They made a request. Literally a request. Says it right there at the top of Page 2.

So what happens next. They get time with CDC to discuss. Guess what, he's already tweeted that he looks forward to meaningful conversations and discussions. 

Guess what that means. They'll toss these topics around. Perhaps even debate them, I would presume in a reasoned and respectful manner. 

Take a breath. 

We aren’t @ logic stage yet, come back.. say page 23?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Question. 
Take a breath. 
That's not how shit works here, sir.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I enjoy the people who mock today's culture as overly sensitive and easily offended, and then a minute later they lose their fucking shit at the mere suggestion that they might not get to sing a song with everyone else at the next football game. 

That’s deep and I agree. The term snowflake never made sense. They won’t stop until you lose your job. Ask the latest unemployed editors. 

• Like 1

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? I understand taking down a confederate statue because it honors someone who supported slavery. I understand renaming a building after someone who denied teaching black students. Why do we want to cancel The Eyes Of Texas? Are these students seriously telling us that the song is oppressing them? Glorifying racism? This is a joke. The Eyes Of Texas is not racist nor is it an attack on black students. 

• Like 7

Now that our Gov has declared football will only be played with maximum 50% capacity this fall I wonder if they will try and allocate tickets only to those who refuse to sing The Eyes of Texas.  Somehow I can't imagine the west side staying silent.

6 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Fuck off. The Eyes of Texas is our fucking fight song. You might be fine with sacrificing anything the cultural Robespierres might want to chop off but maybe the rest of us who value our history don’t. I’m waiting for you and the rest of the cabal to chime in and agree with your bullshit position. This isn’t the same thing as the traitor Confederate flag or statues

Username really doesn’t check out.

This situation reminds me somewhat of the Richard Wagner/Israel issue, where his music is essentially banned in the country.

Personally, if song legitimately hurts a large portion of the population, I don’t see a justification to keep it, even if it carries many good memories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

A bunch of slave owners drafted the Constitution. Let’s burn the entire house down.

50 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You do realize we’ve had to significantly amend that document to address this very issue, right? 

So let's amend the song and take out all the racist lyrics....... oh wait. 

• Like 5

College football being defunded and going to more of an Ivy League model wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.  Have regular admission standards for student athletes.  Less practice time.  More time for academics and living a normal student life.  I’d still watch.  

The small percentage who have true pro potential could do a development league funded by the NFL.  The others, well it wouldn’t be a great result for them.  

No one would be exploited by college sports.  They can be free to make as much money as they want off their talents.  I’ve always believed outside of maybe the top 1 percent of college football players, the name on the front is what drives revenue.  Not the name on the back. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mole said:

Username really doesn’t check out.

This situation reminds me somewhat of the Richard Wagner/Israel issue, where his music is essentially banned in the country.

Personally, if song legitimately hurts a large portion of the population, I don’t see a justification to keep it, even if it carries many good memories.

Why would an anti-semite who wrote antisemitic lyrics remind you of a song that was not written by a racist and does not have racist lyrics?  Your ability to deduce sucks.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? I understand taking down a confederate statue because it honors someone who supported slavery. I understand renaming a building after someone who denied teaching black students. Why do we want to cancel The Eyes Of Texas? Are these students seriously telling us that the song is oppressing them? Glorifying racism? This is a joke. The Eyes Of Texas is not racist nor is it an attack on black students. 

No, its origins offend them and they don't want it to represent the university they love just as much as you do.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

What does continuing to do something that's been pointed out as racist make you,,?

The blackface minstrel where the song was sung was racist, but I don’t see the song, in and of itself, to be...but, like others said, I’m not black.  The words in the song do not appear to be racial.  If they served watermelon at the minstrel show or some other food or drink, would that be considered to be racial and banned because it was a part of the show?  Where do you draw the line?

I went to the business school. Is McCombs racist for what he said about Charlie Strong being a good position coach but not head coach material? I think based on results, he’s not wrong. But...was that racist?

we going to rename the business school aren’t we?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

That's fine. Plenty of other people will.

The fanbase isnt as strong as you think and if you push the diehards too far, you will be left with a bunch of hipster too cool for football people who will never go to games. And if Im wrong so be it, I dont want to be a part of this anymore if we eliminate the Eyes. 

• Like 4

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The fanbase isnt as strong as you think and if you push the diehards too far, you will be left with a bunch of hipster too cool for football people who will never go to games. And if Im wrong so be it, I dont want to be a part of this anymore if we eliminate the Eyes. 

So you don't think the old fucks in 1970 didn't say all this same shit when we integrated?

They leave, they die, whatever, they get replaced. 

In all seriousness I would love to find some info on how that first year of integration went inside Bellmont. Phone calls, changes in season tickets, etc. 

• Like 1