Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Hook em Horns hand sign was introduced in 1955 in support of an all white football team so I'm guessing it will be next on the hit list.

hell the national anthem was written when people owned slaves. We should stop singing it.

4 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I went to the business school. Is McCombs racist for what he said about Charlie Strong being a good position coach but not head coach material? I think based on results, he’s not wrong. But...was that racist?

we going to rename the business school aren’t we?

Someone will behead the Jamail statue before McCombs is renamed 

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The fanbase isnt as strong as you think and if you push the diehards too far, you will be left with a bunch of hipster too cool for football people who will never go to games. And if Im wrong so be it, I dont want to be a part of this anymore if we eliminate the Eyes. 

That's OK. There are plenty of fans to take your place and the place of anyone else who gets mad enough to not follow Texas football anymore. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I never even implied any of this. Try not to let your feelings get in the way of logic.

We have proof that many people feel this song with racist origins is racist against them. Try to understand them and work with them. As I indicated in post #416 I would prefer the song stay but the correct approach is to discuss it openly and reach an agreement with the current players. We have a bunch of middle-aged men on here getting their fee-fees hurt because a hack song we all sing together is under attack. Instead of coming up with a rational approach that can be used to reach out to the young adults on the team everyone just wants to dig in their heels and whine. It's pretty depressing that the adults are responding to this by acting like toddlers.

We have the experience of years that they lack, so let's act like it. You know, rather than crying like a bunch of babies. The idea that without this song my time on campus and my life as a self-identified Longhorn would be irrevocably damaged is one of the silliest, dumbest, and bitchiest concepts I can imagine. Seriously. Some people on this thread need to grow the fuck up.

Huzzah! If we ever cross paths, drinks are on me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The fanbase isnt as strong as you think and if you push the diehards too far, you will be left with a bunch of hipster too cool for football people who will never go to games. And if Im wrong so be it, I dont want to be a part of this anymore if we eliminate the Eyes. 

If you want to forget Texas football exists over a song, it seems like you don't care too much about it in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It really doesn’t matter at this point. Anyone who disagrees with the players stance will be branded a racist. It’s a done deal at this point

Perhaps.  

It's necessary to recognize and support  change in situations that are warranted, and there are many.  We all need to get onboard.   And it's also okay to call out ridiculous leaps like this with the Eyes as what they are - ridiculous.   If the latter makes you a racist when also considering that you are acknowledging the former, then you probably are fucked and, yes, you may as well hang it up.   You're not going to get anywhere, least not in today's world. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

How many of these players could qualify for admission at Texas on their own?

The fuck difference does that make?

How many times did 103,000 people pay $80 to watch you make a C on a chemistry test?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Um. Nah.

A school song isn't supposed to be some magnum opus of lyrical prose and orchestral arrangement.

It should be kind of catchy, easy to sing, and somehow relevant to the student experience.  EOT fills that role nicely.

tl: dr your opinion sucks.

I'm not asking it to be a "magnum opus of lyrical" whatever pretentious bullshit you somehow masturbated and ejaculated into your keyboard here, ya fuckin' keyboard warrior. I'm merely asking for its lyrics to rise slightly above the drunken ramblings of that one drag-rat you're not too sure you want to get close to, with a tune that doesn't bore first graders.

We have such an opportunity here and you'll let it go to waste over some ... I don't know, whatever pretentious wankery it is you indulge in. I wouldn't know.

Call Willie. Let's fucking do this.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Mr. Sensitive!  Nobody said your feelings are invalid. 

OH, well, can I say it, then?

His feelings are invalid. Unless they involve calling up Willie and asking him to write us a new school song. Then your feelings are very valid and correct and you should indulge in them.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

The fuck difference does that make?

How many times did 103,000 people pay $80 to watch you make a C on a chemistry test?

It’s exploitative.  School exploits them for football.  They exploit school for admission they can’t earn academically and get placed in a worthless degree so they can stay eligible.  For most.  

Maybe this model isn’t what should be happening   Especially with CTE issues   

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

OH, well, can I say it, then?

His feelings are invalid. Unless they involve calling up Willie and asking him to write us a new school song. Then your feelings are very valid and correct and you should indulge in them.

Ha ha I admire your dedication to your mission. 

Based on my experiences at Texas football games, Willie already wrote the school song when he wrote Whiskey River. 

someone  early on in this thread made the only point thats needed.

If our famous POC alumni dont get together by tomorrow and jointly issue an opinion on The Eyes ( good or bad) we can assume that by their silence it means that there really is an issue with the Eyes and we as a group have to then accept that.

also, all you yahoos going back and forth about how you are getting pissed at the various cancel cultures.... guess what, your experiences are different than our Black athletes have had to deal with.

I honestly didnt fully understand that until Mr Floyd's life was sacrificed to press that point home for me.

I cant speak for what a POC has gone through. And if they are telling me the song I have been singing for 40 years is racist, I now have to strongly consider their point isnt bullshit.

While I graduated from UT and I am proud of that, its not "my" university anymore.  Its THEIR University right now, and they have to right to tell me they arent happy with how we have handled things. 

• Like 2

Or even more insulting: That Willie can't write better lyrics than:

The Eyes of Texas are upon you
You cannot get away
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn

C'mon, man. Come the fuck on.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It’s exploitative.  School exploits them for football.  They exploit school for admission they can’t earn academically and get placed in a worthless degree so they can stay eligible.  For most.  

Which is why the school should pay them a wage based on their market value.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Riiiight.  You questioned the players' intelligence and how they got into UT because you're concerned for their well-being.

• Like 1

Shit, Willie leaves on the cutting room floor of the studio better music and lyrics than this shit.

Call him. Get the job done. We got money, don't we? Just start writing 0's at the end of the check until he says "Yes."

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Which is why the school should pay them a wage based on their market value.

They can’t.  Title IX.  

But their market value also isn’t as high as you think.  The name on the front is what drives revenue.  Not the name on the back.  Most college athletes outside of rare exceptions are fungible for market value.  

Most receive more in compensation from their scholarship, room, board and admission to a school they couldn’t get into otherwise than what value they provide.  There are obvious exceptions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Riiiight.  You questioned the players' intelligence and how they got into UT because you're concerned for their well-being.

It isn’t a question.  Most of our football players wouldn’t matriculate but for their athletic prowess.  

I think CTE is going to end this sport.  It’s dangerous shit.  And there isn’t a good way to mitigate it.  

Football is going to go the way of boxing eventually.  We are exploiting young athletes for our entertainment in football.  It’s horrible for them.  

Stop trying to make this about whether or not the song is racist, or whether or not the student-athletes in question are right or wrong to say "change it or we walk." THIS IS MISSING THE POINT.

They've just hand-gifted us a ten-million-dollar excuse to get the best goddamned school song Willie ever wrote. AND YOU FUCKERS ARE GOING TO THROW IT ALL AWAY.

"Legendary supermodel Naomi Campbell has just asked me to come back to her place for the night, but even though only yesterday I was thinking about divorcing my wife because I caught her sleeping with her half a dozen members of the Hell's Angels, she never really put out for me, is ninety pounds overweight and sounds like Fran Drescher on a steroid rager, I'll pass, thanks! Besides, what would the Mormon neighbors think?"

The more you study CTE, the more we should feel guilty for supporting football.  

If it was more of a club sport with less practice hitting, it wouldn’t be as bad.  

But what it is now from high school to pros is very dangerous for the players.  

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

It's a fucking song. It can easily be replaced by another song which will again unite everyone. This generation will bitch and moan until we die off. The next and following generations won't know any differently. In 40 years, that generation will bitch that the now new song which united everyone is replaced by a newer song. 

that's not how Alma Maters work 

• Like 3

They can’t.  Title IX.  

But their market value also isn’t as high as you think.  The name on the front is what drives revenue.  Not the name on the back.  Most college athletes outside of rare exceptions are fungible for market value.  

Most receive more in compensation from their scholarship, room, board and admission to a school they couldn’t get into otherwise than what value they provide.  There are obvious exceptions. 

And with this team, it is Sam way up high on earner list, and everyone else at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Why would an anti-semite who wrote antisemitic lyrics remind you of a song that was not written by a racist and does not have racist lyrics?  Your ability to deduce sucks.

If the Israel Phil plays the opening notes to the Prelude to Tristan, all hell breaks loose. No words, just notes. Nothing inherently anti-Semitic about that particular music, just many dark associations. 

And it isn’t simply his anti-semitism that has caused the ban, but the deep association with the Holocaust. Prior to WWII, his music was played by the orchestra which would become the Israel Philharmonic. It was the events of the 1930s which led to the ban, despite Wagner being long dead.

It’s the extra-musical associations which are so deeply hurtful (Wagner’s status as a terrible human and anti-Semite no doubt contribute), not simply the music itself, or even the person of Wagner. For example, I’m not aware of any cultural bans on singing the hymns of Martin Luther in Israel. Luther’s writing left no doubt about his anti-Semitism, yet it’s Wagner and Strauss that cause such a response.

At its heart, this is essentially what’s going on here. While there doesn’t appear to be much that’s inherently racist about the text of the Eyes (just like the Tristan chord isn’t inherently bigoted), the broader associations seem to be causing problems. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

It isn’t a question.  Most of our football players wouldn’t matriculate but for their athletic prowess.  

I think CTE is going to end this sport.  It’s dangerous shit.  And there isn’t a good way to mitigate it.  

Football is going to go the way of boxing eventually.  We are exploiting young athletes for our entertainment in football.  It’s horrible for them.  

And none of that has anything to do with why you questioned the players' intelligence or ability to get into UT in this thread that is about the players expressing opinions that are less than popular with a lot of people who got in on their grades.

Stop pivoting and just own it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I went to the business school. Is McCombs racist for what he said about Charlie Strong being a good position coach but not head coach material? I think based on results, he’s not wrong. But...was that racist?

we going to rename the business school aren’t we?

I hope this whole post was just an excuse to say you went to the business school because otherwise I’m not sure how the analogy applies. 

11 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

someone  early on in this thread made the only point thats needed.

If our famous POC alumni dont get together by tomorrow and jointly issue an opinion on The Eyes ( good or bad) we can assume that by their silence it means that there really is an issue with the Eyes and we as a group have to then accept that.

also, all you yahoos going back and forth about how you are getting pissed at the various cancel cultures.... guess what, your experiences are different than our Black athletes have had to deal with.

I honestly didnt fully understand that until Mr Floyd's life was sacrificed to press that point home for me.

I cant speak for what a POC has gone through. And if they are telling me the song I have been singing for 40 years is racist, I now have to strongly consider their point isnt bullshit.

While I graduated from UT and I am proud of that, its not "my" university anymore.  Its THEIR University right now, and they have to right to tell me they arent happy with how we have handled things. 

Wow, well if that's true maybe you should take some more time to consider things and post less. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

It's almost like they are going to school and learning things

Texas football is definitely doing their part on supplying the state with Youth and Community Studies Majors.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Think about it a little longer.

There are real issues at hand.  And then there's this.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, pwinger said:

Kneel to the mob or be branded a racist.  Probably both.

It will never stop.

Start the fire and let it burn.

Mass cultural psychotic break is dead ahead.

I'm out.

You're soooo dramatic! You should write a screenplay!

22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

How many of these players could qualify for admission at Texas on their own?

Well, I'd say they certainly qualified for Texas on their own in the same way that you or I did. That is, on the basis of their talents and the value those bring to the University, except that your ( or my) ability to ace the analogy portion of the S.A.T. doesn't mean shit to anybody and certainly wouldn't ever be worth millions of dollars. Hook 'em.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm not asking it to be a "magnum opus of lyrical" whatever pretentious bullshit you somehow masturbated and ejaculated into your keyboard here, ya fuckin' keyboard warrior. I'm merely asking for its lyrics to rise slightly above the drunken ramblings of that one drag-rat you're not too sure you want to get close to, with a tune that doesn't bore first graders.

We have such an opportunity here and you'll let it go to waste over some ... I don't know, whatever pretentious wankery it is you indulge in. I wouldn't know.

Call Willie. Let's fucking do this.

I'm the pretentious wank for supporting/not criticizing a song that has simplistic lyrics because it's a school song/alma mater?

Are you familiar with school songs?  We should probably be pleased that it doesn't contain nonsense like boolah boolah or hullabalew caneck caneck.

I'm all for Willie, but I'm not sure what business he has writing a school song for The University of Texas.  Will it be a ballad?  He's quite a balladeer.  Can he draw on his experience as a student at Baylor?  Or is just being a Texan enough? I really look forward to the student body crooning a Willie ballad in the future.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And none of that has anything to do with why you questioned the players' intelligence or ability to get into UT in this thread that is about the players expressing opinions that are less than popular with a lot of people who got in on their grades.

Stop pivoting and just own it.

There isn’t a question.  Very few would be at Texas if it wasn’t for their athletic ability.  

1 minute ago, Tigersnake said:

Well, I'd say they certainly qualified for Texas on their own in the same way that you or I did. That is, on the basis of their talents and the value those bring to the University, except that your ( or my) ability to ace the analogy portion of the S.A.T. doesn't mean shit to anybody and certainly wouldn't ever be worth millions of dollars. Hook 'em.

And we get to enjoy them turning their brains into mush with CTE.   Our own gladiators.  

fair trade.