Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Y'all need to be expanding the narrative. This isn't about just Texas, it's the whole fucking racist country.

Best way to start is with the major capitalist conspiracy, money. Throw out the slave-owners, and all you got is Hamilton and Grant. The rest gotta go. Keep your $10 and $50 bills, and send the rest to me. I will send you back double your money in New American currency. 

Grant had a slave or two.

I'm not gonna be outraged if we don't sing the song anymore. A little sad, but not outraged. 

I also won't be outraged if we keep singing it. 

You know why? Because I don't get outraged about trivial shit. And this entire "issue" is just that. Trivial. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Y'all need to be expanding the narrative. This isn't about just Texas, it's the whole fucking racist country.

Best way to start is with the major capitalist conspiracy, money. Throw out the slave-owners, and all you got is Hamilton and Grant. The rest gotta go. Keep your $10 and $50 bills, and send the rest to me. I will send you back double your money in New American currency. 

Can we keep our 5s?

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The point of singing the song with other longhorns wasn't the song. The point was singing with your fellow horns, it doesn't matter if it's the eyes of Texas or sweet caroline.

Well, except Sweet Caroline is gay af. NTTAWT.  Now Zombie Nation  . . . . 

36 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

hell the national anthem was written when people owned slaves. We should stop singing it.

34 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You know that's coming, right?

So the Eyes and the National Anthem?

What is KVET going to play at noon everyday ? 😕

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm the pretentious wank for supporting/not criticizing a song that has simplistic lyrics because it's a school song/alma mater?

Are you familiar with school songs?  We should probably be pleased that it doesn't contain nonsense like boolah boolah or hullabalew caneck caneck.

I'm all for Willie, but I'm not sure what business he has writing a school song for The University of Texas.  Will it be a ballad?  He's quite a balladeer.  Can he draw on his experience as a student at Baylor?  Or is just being a Texan enough? I really look forward to the student body crooning a Willie ballad in the future.

Yes, you're a pretentious wanker. You're like that stupid dog my dumb racist bitch neighbor had who was barking "at" a baby opossum.. that was directly to the dog's left side: So oblivious to the important thing that it can be right next to you and you won't face it. That also goes for all y'all who are trying to argue one way or another about whether the student-athletes can or can't ask this or whether "The Eyes" is or isn't racist.

The problem isn't that they're simplistic. Many great lyrics are simplistic. The problem is that they are not good lyrics. They are to lyrics what a shart is to a crowded elevator. They're just bad. They're insipid, sloppy, dumb.

A ballad is fine because we're replacing "The Eyes," not "Texas Fight." Tell me it wouldn't be a step up!

If the football players don't want to sing the school song that they committed to and that is paying for their education, thats on them. I don't give a shit if they want to sing it or not.  However, it shouldn't be removed when hundreds of thousands of alumni, athletes, and fans before them have sung the song for the wins, the losses, graduations, funerals, etc. The song shouldn't be removed just because this current group of student-athletes got "woke" last week. "The Eyes of Texas" is an expression about what it means to be a Longhorn, which is about telling other schools / fans we fucking own your ass on and off the field/court and in life.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The point of singing the song with other longhorns wasn't the song. The point was singing with your fellow horns, it doesn't matter if it's the eyes of Texas or sweet caroline.

Yeah well the Palestinians in our student body say you are racist and they will declare FATWA on your ass.   

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. You seem upset a certain segment is finally demanding change of all the racist history this country has and want to drop the program for a fucking song? Good lord. Grow a fucking pair of nuts.

This movement is now real. Get used to it. All that racist bullshit can take a hike. No matter how much history is behind it. If you get upset about songs being taken away, you need to step back and examine your life in general. 

Pretty sure I’ve said that all confederate and/or racist statues & buildings need to be removed. I’m worried that any money sent to BLM will do any good for POC in Texas. I’d rather see $ go to some local fund to better those communities.

I’m all for the movement. There needs to be change. The difference is that the large majority of people involved in the movement are opportunistic carpetbaggers. Most are white liberals who are using an honorable movement to consolidate power. 

The Eyes seems like a reach. Banning a song that has no racist words in it because it was sung at these minstrel shows just falls short. How many harmless events has it been sung at? 

After some reflection, I don’t really care. If they don’t want to sing it then go ahead. But if the crowd does then that shouldn’t be banned either. Everyone has a choice.

This team won’t win shit so won’t be much to sing about anyways. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I am 100% in favor of lifting the requirement that players sing The Eyes Of Texas.

I think the whole team should just go in after the game.  No need to give the topic and student athletes undue attention by who sings and who doesn't.  

17 minutes ago, 1bigtx said:

Grant had a slave or two.

as Michael already said, one, who was gifted to him by his FIL. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He was gifted a slave by his father in law and he freed him.

important to note that when Grant freed William Jones, Grant was just about dead broke.  Grant was told he could sell Jones for $1,000, in 1859

thats equivalent to at least $30k today.    Grant was on the verge of poverty yet  felt strongly enough about slavery that he freed the man and accepted whatever financial fate would happen to him rather than take the money.    

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You do realize we’ve had to significantly amend that document to address this very issue, right? 

I know you are full on embracing the whole Massapequa middle aged white guy vibe, but at least try. 

You live in The Village, right?

Here’s one for ya. Maybe we should remove DKR from the stadium and the Texas record books. Last all-white National Championship coach and had a real issue integrating Texas’ football program. Seems like a bad dude.

Add that one to the list of demands and see how it plays out. It’s just a stadium name.

4 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I am encouraged that most of the posts on this thread have basically said "Not sure about the Eyes demand, but the rest seem reasonable." Because a few years ago (a few weeks ago?) I wouldn't have thought that agreement on the other demands was possible. 

Building statues of people is always a bad idea. We're fallible. Men and women that have done amazing shit have also done some horrible shit to. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spankytoes said:

You live in The Village, right?

Here’s one for ya. Maybe we should remove DKR from the stadium and the Texas record books. Last all-white National Championship coach and had a real issue integrating Texas’ football program. Seems like a bad dude.

Add that one to the list of demands and see how it plays out. It’s just a stadium name.

His name should be removed from the stadium because it's a war memorial.

17 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I am 100% in favor of lifting the requirement that players sing The Eyes Of Texas.

I always thought of the Eyes as my appreciation to the players for representing us on the field.

• Like 1

Just now, williemackgarza said:

As a POC, i think this is the stupidest fuckin thing Ive heard in about the last 12.5 hours...
this generation of serial victims is going fucking crazy. Victims looking for an aggresor.
And all these white folks just going along cause they think its what theyre supposed to do. Speak out and your labeled a racist.
Everyone is losing theyre mind.
They have some valid points about building names at least. But the song? I mean come the fuck on...
The complaining will never stop.
Watch and see

You're right.

The complaining never stops. White people always find something to bitch about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 6

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Building statues of people is always a bad idea. We're fallible. Men and women that have done amazing shit have also done some horrible shit to. 

We probably shouldn't judge people based on only the bad things they did or have done in their lives, but on their accomplishments and mistakes as a whole.  

4 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

As a POC, i think this is the stupidest fuckin thing Ive heard in about the last 12.5 hours...
this generation of serial victims is going fucking crazy. Victims looking for an aggresor.
And all these white folks just going along cause they think its what theyre supposed to do. Speak out and your labeled a racist.
Everyone is losing theyre mind.
They have some valid points about building names at least. But the song? I mean come the fuck on...
The complaining will never stop.
Watch and see

Thank you Clayton Bigsby!  White power;)

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm not gonna be outraged if we don't sing the song anymore. A little sad, but not outraged. 

I also won't be outraged if we keep singing it. 

You know why? Because I don't get outraged about trivial shit. And this entire "issue" is just that. Trivial. 

Avatar pic def not checking out...