Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

Sydney Carton was absolutely correct in his post a few pages ago. 

Respectfully disagree. See two posts up from yours. Why wouldn't this work?  Let the players take ownership of this thing. If we fashion a compromise we can actually use the Eyes to make a positive difference. 

Just now, Lurch said:

The issue of demeaning a race by celebrating those that oppressed them.

How is this difficult to understand?

No its all just about compliance.  Its all woke culture.  They want you to comply and just listen to what they want you to do.  No room for nuance.  No room for thinking.  Its about only wanting one side to be heard and the other has to shut the fuck up.  This isn't compromise or discussion its just flat out mob mentality bs.  And even if you change the song, change the names, change whatever they aren't going to feel any better because THE PROBLEMS STILL EXIST!  And as long as their is this narrative that America is racist they are set up to believe that every obstacle they face comes from a nameless and faceless group because racism just must be somewhere in the ether.  They will never succeed in that environment because you are setting yourself up for excuses when every time you fail its the fault of racism.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

this thread is honestly disgusting and shows how ridiculously white privileged this fanbase is. 

This is what idiots say when they want to shut down a discussion because they have nothing to bring to the table.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I’ve Been Working on the Railroad is historically racist.

The Eyes of Texas is set to the tune of that song.

The Eyes of Texas was first performed at a minstrel show where white men dressed in blackface and sang the song to the tune of a banjo.

“The lyrics aren’t racist” people say, but the presentation was. THAT is the point here.

Is there any evidence that anyone sang the song in blackface?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The Eyes of Texas was first performed at a minstrel show where white men dressed in blackface and sang the song to the tune of a banjo.

“The lyrics aren’t racist” people say, but the presentation was. THAT is the point here.

Tunes are now racist?

Folk music, how does it work?

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

this thread is honestly disgusting and shows how ridiculously white privileged this fanbase is. 

LOL so brave.

any others agree with locking this up?

classic "I don't want to argue with you" when you have nothing to say.

22 hours ago, Noogman said:

0.5% to BLM isn't shit when it comes to the athletics budget, and if UT athletics wants to spend their money that way they can, but what's the legality of it? Asking the lawyer folk seeing as I'm not well versed in the subject, isn't UT athletics still under the state, and can the state donate money to a political cause?

No idea. I'd be good with more academic scholarships for black students, but BLM is too political. Plus, where what happens when a group BLM doesn't agree with come asking for donations. Lawsuits everywhere.

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

That is a reflection on the stupid ass people who presented it.  Not the song.  Am I attached to the song?  Kind of.  I mean it never occurred to me that it was racist.  There have even been a couple of times at games where I have gotten choked up when it is sung because it causes me to reflect on my experience at the University.  That's what it means to me.  This is what the players are missing about this issue.  I have no frame of reference to the presentation that they are complaining about.  Neither do 95% of the people hearing all this crap for the first time.  They are essentially taking something that up to yesterday meant something special to some people and are telling them that it is racist and further you are racist if you aren't willing to disavow it.  

I believe that there is institutional racism.  I believe that I have benefited from being white. I also believe that it is all of our responsibility to overcome these things.  But, I just think issues like this do more damage to bringing the rest of society along.  Ignorant people have presented the Bible in a racist way.  The list is endless.

• Like 2

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Like a game of “telephone,” someone starts a rumor (a huge stretch of a rumor at that), and now it’s a fact. Clown world. 

So you think Cedric Golden is lying about what former players told him? Again, if this how they felt, it was how they felt. 

5 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Sydney Carton was absolutely correct in his post a few pages ago.  

Not everyone on this thread realizes it yet, but The Eyes of Texas was finished the second the demand was sent because anyone singing it will now be considered a racist.  Regardless of the legitimacy of the claims of the racist origins of the song (dubious imo) or the relevance of any racist origin to a fight song that has been a source of unity among UT fans and athletes of all colors for decades, The Eyes of Texas is now completely unacceptable and will be relegated to the dustbin of history because some football players in 2020 decided it is racist.   

I'm sure that we will continue discussing this for a few hundred pages, but the die is cast.  

I'm not really going to die on a hill in either direction, but I do wonder when people are going to quit blindly going along with this stuff and instead deny that something is racist or offensive just because it meets the qualifier "if one or more persons are ofended by it".

The Eyes of Texas is not racist. If it was, it hasn't been since anyone here was born. If the current students and athletes have an issue with the song and do not want to continue singing it then it is in their hands to effect the change. 

There isnt room anymore for black and white hate speech and racism and bigotry - but there also shouldn't be room for insisting that others adopt the same ideology as you. At somepoint freedom of speech needs to prevail, before the "anti fascists" adopt fascist policies themselves.

Apologies if that's too CR but this thread is probably a lost cause anyway in that regard.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So you think Cedric Golden is lying about what former players told him? Again, if this how they felt, it was how they felt. 

But how they felt was based, at least in part, on historically inaccurate information. Is that relevant?

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Are you meaning at the original show? Because Armybrat posted Texas Cowboys in blackface in 1963.

Edited by mdmost

Just now, mdmost said:

I don’t think he’s lying about that at all. I just think it’s a huge inference that isn’t backed up by anything at all. It’s completely illogical, actually. There were no slaves in 1903. Mocking the university president =/= watching slaves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I didn't realize that you guys think that I have this website for my own fucking entertainment and discussion. I'm really glad I locked all those other threads to stifle open discourse and discussion. 

I mean your entitled to your opinion some of us just think its a stupid opinion.  Just like some people here think mine is.  Locking down the thread is what you suggested and people shit on you for it.  Deal with it.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm not really going to die on a hill in either direction, but I do wonder when people are going to quit blindly going along with this stuff and instead deny that something is racist or offensive just because it meets the qualifier "if one or more persons are ofended by it".

The Eyes of Texas is not racist. If it was, it hasn't been since anyone here was born. If the current students and athletes have an issue with the song and do not want to continue singing it then it is in their hands to effect the change. 

There isnt room anymore for black and white hate speech and racism and bigotry - but there also shouldn't be room for insisting that others adopt the same ideology as you. At somepoint freedom of speech needs to prevail, before the "anti fascists" adopt fascist policies themselves.

Apologies if that's too CR but this thread is probably a lost cause anyway in that regard.

It may not be racist now, but there is a damn good chance that it was racist back when it was created

Just now, formermav43 said:

But how they felt was based on historically inaccurate information. Is that relevant?

So yeah. Cedric should've informed that while the lyrics weren't racist, people did sing the song in blackface. That would've made them feel better about singing it. 

No one is being deprived of freedom of speech.

Just now, mdmost said:

So yeah. Cedric should've informed that while the lyrics weren't racist, people did sing the song in blackface. That would've made them feel better about singing it. 

I actually thing that makes a HUGE difference. You’re talking about the actual content of the song versus its initial presentation.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I didn't unilaterally decide to lock the thread - people clearly want it open I was asking the community what their thoughts were. Stop projecting bullshit on me because you are a sorry cunt.

You’re just part of the crowd letting ignorance control the narrative.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I didn't unilaterally decide to lock the thread - people clearly want it open I was asking the community what their thoughts were. Stop projecting bullshit on me because you are a sorry cunt.

You literally said the fanbase is a bunch of disgusting white privileged people.  Then you wanted to shut down the thread.  Yea can't imagine why you would receive backlash for that.  Are you kidding me?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Are you meaning at the original show? Because Armybrat posted Texas Cowboys in blackface in 1963.

Yes.  I’m an educated man.  But I’m afraid I’m not acquainted with the student production of the minstrel show 117 years ago.  

Does everyone performing in the show wear black face?  I really don’t know.  

I thought minstrel shows were variety shows. Some in black face singing very racist lyrics making fun of blacks and other songs and skits that weren’t in black face and without racist lyrics.  

Given the lyrics of the Eyes that aren’t racist, it’s possible it was in the latter.  

If there are records or pictures from the show, it might be worthwhile to know.  

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Per AAS article....

Throughout UT history, there has been little attempt at hiding the song’s origins. Cactus yearbook editor John Sinclair is credited with changing the “Railroad” lyrics to the UT version.

The song was first performed at the Hancock Opera House in Austin and became a hit. It was then performed by white singers in blackface at the Varsity minstrel show, which was a fundraiser for UT athletics in the early 1900s.

What the media doesn't tell you is America is the best place on the planet to be black, female, gay, trans or what have you.  We have our problems and we need to address those but our society and systems are far from racist.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

What the media doesn't tell you is America is the best place on the planet to be black, female, gay, trans or what have you.  We have our problems and we need to address those but our society and systems are far from racist.

Yeah, there are quite a lot of black people disagreeing with you on this. They are protesting in the streets about it right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

Yeah, there are quite a lot of black people disagreeing with you on this. They are protesting in the streets about it right now. 

Ok and there are quite a few black people that agree with me too and I think they are more reasonable.  They don't all think the same way you know.

• Like 2