Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Give the players everything they want. Time for historic change. Time to heal up more on 400 years of oppression. Bring people together and not tear them apart. Will help recruiting when we get to point out all the racism and racist symbols held onto by our opponent schools. 

Is this bringing us together or pulling us apart? “Well we’d all be together if everyone would just agree with me” isn’t the answer to that question (I’m not suggesting that would be your response.)

I’ve heard the belief expressed that leaders on both sides antagonize the other side, intentionally inciting friction because: 1. It solidifies the support of his/her base and 2. It distracts from the fact that politicians (from both side) ain’t done shit to help the American people and deflects criticism of their failings.
It used to be a little “tin foil hat” for me, but these days I’m not so sure.
  • Like 3

I haven’t read the thread. Someone may have already mentioned it. My concern is the racist douchebags will insist on singing it “to keep up the tradition” and piss off minorities and create a toxic environment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I haven’t read the thread. Someone may have already mentioned it. My concern is the racist douchebags will insist on singing it “to keep up the tradition” and piss off minorities and create a toxic environment.

Im sorry but because someone insists on singing the song and not being silenced doesn't mean they have racist intent.  It only takes 3 seconds of thinking to come up with a conclusion like that.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The other side

You're entrenched. You don't have in depth conversations with the other side. You don't know what they feel or think. Even if you did, you'd dismiss it.

You won't change until there is an ironclad case (to be determined by you) that something is racist. The fact that a group of black people say something is offensive means nothing to you. You're an intellectual who must hear the facts laid out in a case, or so you like to see yourself.

You don't know me. But I do. You're walking and quacking like the other ducks.

The fact is, there is no convincing you. You're dug in. Your side has taken a position that everybody else is pushing narratives and hidden agendas to spoil your world. It's clear where you hail from. It's becoming a scary place. I wish I could pity you, but I can't. You're too destructive.

In the last few pages, I see the usual suspects are taking the same stance and repping each other like crazy.

Until I see an ironclad argument that you're not racist, I don't see a reason to change my mind. Sound familiar? It's genuine prejudice.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The other side

You're entrenched. You don't have in depth conversations with the other side. You don't know what they feel or think. Even if you did, you'd dismiss it.

You won't change until there is an ironclad case (to be determined by you) that something is racist. The fact that a group of black people say something is offensive means nothing to you. You're an intellectual who must hear the facts laid out in a case, or so you like to see yourself.

You don't know me. But I do. You're walking and quacking like the other ducks.

The fact is, there is no convincing you. You're dug in. Your side has taken a position that everybody else is pushing narratives and hidden agendas to spoil your world. It's clear where you hail from. It's becoming a scary place. I wish I could pity you, but I can't. You're too destructive.

In the last few pages, I see the usual suspects are taking the same stance and repping each other like crazy.

Until I see an ironclad argument that you're not racist, I don't see a reason to change my mind. Sound familiar? It's genuine prejudice.

If you haven't repped TreatyOak's post, you've got no business complaining about other people repping.  I can't believe he's only got two.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

The fear of Blacks of police is real.  No doubt about that.  Police brutality is a problem.  No doubt about that.  The problem with both of these is that things ARE getting better.  They are moving in the right direction.  NYC police killed something like 15-20 people last year.  In 1971 the number was 810.  Eight hundred and ten!!!!

Police use of force declined sharply over the past 50 years. In 1971 the New York City Police Department reported 810 firearms discharges by officers, which wounded 220 people and killed 93. In 2016 those numbers were down to 72 shootings, 23 wounded and nine killed. The rhetoric of protesters doesn’t acknowledge any of that progress.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/the-limits-of-police-reform

Some of you jokers will believe anything you read online.  I mean your point still stands that things are getting better, but wtf, lulz. 810? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GottaB said:

Have you ever sang The Eyes? If so, I assume you are racist then?

• Like 3

Are other schools going through this as well?  Googling tells me it seems isolated to Texas. 

Someone mentioned the link between the founder of Yale and slavery? I have no doubt that the leadership of Yale today is profoundly anti-racism. Then why haven’t they addressed this?

I always wondered how a mob could work themselves up to the point of believing that burning books with a certain history or by a certain group of authors changed anything. Now I'm seeing it up close, but it still adds no clarity.

No one is suggesting burning books.

Someone mentioned the link between the founder of Yale and slavery? I have no doubt that the leadership of Yale today is profoundly anti-racism. Then why haven’t they addressed this?

They renamed a college just last year

16 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Are other schools going through this as well?  Googling tells me it seems isolated to Texas. 

If we are the only school, its just a matter of time before this happens all over the country. As the first school to have to address it, the response/progress moving forward will probably be more heavily scrutinized. I imagine those sheep fuckers to our east will be particularly understanding when this kind of shit bubbles up in the station. 

50 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I know that’s why I sing it. Fuck taking away my opportunity to be openly racist at football games. What is this, North Korea?

56 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Is this bringing us together or pulling us apart? “Well we’d all be together if everyone would just agree with me” isn’t the answer to that question (I’m not suggesting that would be your response.)

I’ve heard the belief expressed that leaders on both sides antagonize the other side, intentionally inciting friction because: 1. It solidifies the support of his/her base and 2. It distracts from the fact that politicians (from both side) ain’t done shit to help the American people and deflects criticism of their failings.
It used to be a little “tin foil hat” for me, but these days I’m not so sure.

Nobody cares if you want to masturbate around with it. Pick a side. White nationalism or Black Lives Matter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

A cynic might suggest that they are hesitant because a degree from the University of New Haven does not have same cachet as one from Yale, so they're willing to be offended as long as it doesn't really cause too much inconvenience.  

Nobody cares if you want to masturbate around with it. Pick a side. White nationalism or Black Lives Matter.

Jesus what an insincere load of crap. I’m Vietnamese asshole. I am vehemently in favor of every single man, woman and child being treated based on the content of their character without regard to their race. But feel free to be a histrionic idiot. I have treated everyone in this thread respectfully and have been treated respectfully by everyone except you.

Show me where I’ve promoted white nationalism?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bullet said:

It doesn't end.  Abe Lincoln was a racist and wanted to ship the slaves back to Africa.  There's a reason Liberia's capital is named Monrovia.

Democrats are already disowning Jefferson and Jackson.  They cancelled their traditional Jefferson-Jackson dinner.  Two Columbus statues got attacked.  They even attacked the 54th Regiment memorial in Massachusetts!!!! (the all Black Civil War regiment in the movie Glory).  They have desecrated the grave of Henry Grady here in Atlanta (from the "new south" movement of the late 1800s-he was too young to be a Confederate).

And while what I read about RLM is problematic, the others are a stretch.  Without Littlefield, the university would not be what it is today.  Painter was a premier geneticist who happened to be the president during the integration lawsuits of the 50s.  Hogg was a prominent governor and citizen of the late 1800s ("new south" era).  Basically they are saying nothing can be named after white people who came of age before the 1960s.

The Eyes of Texas stuff is just plain stupid.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

George Orwell, 1984

• Like 3

Prospective student-athletes and current enrolled athlethes want to dictate traditional change affecting 100+ years of alumni history should earn the right to do so other than holding their fists in the air and intemidate making change or else regardless of race....let'em go somewhere else...no more free ride schorlarships, go to class, earn your degree and participate in sports if desired...if a coach is worth the millions he's being paid then let him coach up what personel he has to work with and respect the institution for which he works.  Politics has not place in college sports!

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Jesus what an insincere load of crap. I’m Vietnamese asshole. I am vehemently in favor of every single man, woman and child being treated based on the content of their character without regard to their race. But feel free to be a histrionic idiot.

I have been treated everyone in this thread respectfully and have been treated respectfully by everyone except you.

@NWAustinDude Why are you racist against Asians? Sounds like you picked a side

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Jesus what an insincere load of crap. I’m Vietnamese asshole. I am vehemently in favor of every single man, woman and child being treated based on the content of their character without regard to their race. But feel free to be a histrionic idiot.

I have been treated everyone in this thread respectfully and have been treated respectfully by everyone except you.

All I said was pick a side. i don't personally care which side you choose. I did not say you were white nationalist.  I do not see this as an issue where the baby can be split, so, where do you stand? I do not ask because I want to know, just that you should probably figure that out for yourself. 

• Fuck You 4

5 minutes ago, Luv2win said:

Prospective student-athletes and current enrolled athlethes want to dictate traditional change affecting 100+ years of alumni history should earn the right to do so other than holding their fists in the air and intemidate making change or else regardless of race....let'em go somewhere else...no more free ride schorlarships, go to class, earn your degree and participate in sports if desired...if a coach is worth the millions he's being paid then let him coach up what personel he has to work with and respect the institution for which he works.  Politics has no place in college sports!

6 hours ago, MrBig said:

The Alcalde 1985

Read this article and tell me its original intention was not racist.

You have cited three articles from the Alcalde with slightly conflicting stories about the authorship of the song.

While it seems pretty clear that it was first performed publicly at the "Varsity Minstrel Show," it's not clear that it was written for that show.

One of the articles states that it was written in response to a call for a school song in the February '03 Daily Texan.

Even if it was written for the minstrel show, given that it is utterly devoid of racist content, I don't see how you can derive that it was written with racist intention.

While a minstrel show contained a lot of offensive, racist material most of it in the form of blackface actors making fun of blacks, not every single shred of material contained in one is rendered racist.  

The articles seem to mention that the minstrel show included a tumbling act.  Was it therefore a racist tumbling act?  Cheerleaders do a lot of tumbling, there was tumbling at the minstrel show!  Ban cheerleaders!

• Like 4

All I said was pick a side. i don't personally care which side you choose. I did not say you were white nationalist.  I do not see this as an issue where the baby can be split, so, where do you stand? I do not ask because I want to know, just that you should probably figure that out for yourself. 

Yeah I thought so. Mush mouth bullshit. You challenged me to declare whether or not I was a white nationalist because you
Presumably thought I said something to suggest I was a white nationalist.
I asked you to show me where I said anything to suggest that view. SHOW ME

10 minutes ago, NWAustinDude said:

You said that there were 2 sides: White nationalist or BLM. @Lhorn is Vietnamese. How progressive of you to assume that he was white. Which side of yours does he fall on? You’re the one that defined the terms.

This is the game woke people/cancel culture plays. Agree with me or suffer the consequences. There is a shitload of room between the two extremes. 

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

Have you ever sang The Eyes? If so, I assume you are racist then?

No one is saying people who grew up singing the Eyes are racist. No one really understood the impact of its history. No one took the time to really listen to the people who said it was racist. That doesn’t make fans bad people. It was okay to love the song. It was okay to sing the song. But now the black community including the entire team is saying hey, if you didn’t know, this song is disrespectful. It hurts us. We don’t want to sing it anymore. And we don’t want you singing it either. Now I know that seems hurtful to say something you love is bad. But they come from a good place. They come from love. They want everyone to come together. A song does not make Texas. A building does not make Texas. People make Texas. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If we are the only school, its just a matter of time before this happens all over the country. As the first school to have to address it, the response/progress moving forward will probably be more heavily scrutinized. I imagine those sheep fuckers to our east will be particularly understanding when this kind of shit bubbles up in the station. 

I’m not certain about this. Football factories like Bama and tOSU can tell them to pound sand and reload with the next 25 4-5*’s that want in. Win now and change the world when you are cashing NFL checks. As to the sheep fuckers, do mercenaries complain?  I mean they had to know what racist shithole they were signing up for when they cashed the check? 

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Song isn't racist.  This is stupid ploy to gain attention to other issues. I'll be out if they change the song.  

I was kind of on the fence, could see both sides, mulling it over before spouting off half cocked, yadda yadda yadda. But this post brings clarity to my troubled mind:

#Change the song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

I'll post the wellbye.gif if this happens.  This is so ridiculous but UT is so PC it may just do it. 

It does seem like the mob extracting their pound of flesh.  Trying to figure out how getting rid of this The Eyes will help eradicate police brutality.  Will this help prevent police brutality in the future?

18 minutes ago, Luv2win said:

Prospective student-athletes and current enrolled athlethes want to dictate traditional change affecting 100+ years of alumni history should earn the right to do so other than holding their fists in the air and intemidate making change or else regardless of race....let'em go somewhere else...no more free ride schorlarships, go to class, earn your degree and participate in sports if desired...if a coach is worth the millions he's being paid then let him coach up what personel he has to work with and respect the institution for which he works.  Politics has not place in college sports!

Yeah!! Let the black guys transfer! We can win with white guys! 

17 minutes ago, DougO said:

They signed up for a program that sings the song. It was or wasn't as racist or whatever then as it is now.

It's not quite as hard to transfer these days.

They signed up for it. I imagined this being said by Coal Companies to Coal Miners back in the day. 

Citizens being killed by police is not the only relevant metric by which you judge police abuse. While most of them are good, there are many who harass, provoke and abuse. We have to reform the system that allows this to happen without a lot of accountability. You need unanimous verdict by a jury to convict someone, so why would we give so much power to an officer to affect someone's life? I doubt our founders intended this to happen.

Now, I am torn on the fight song and I understand why so many fans are upset. This is one of those things that would require real leadership to maneuver out of it without completely alienating one side. Perhaps the admin offers to give in somewhere else that the athletes haven't asked for in return for keeping the song for fans to sing and not require athletes to sing along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Song isn't racist.  This is stupid ploy to gain attention to other issues. I'll be out if they change the song.  

You will disown your alma mater if they quit singing a fucking song at football games?  Well...bye gif.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It does seem like the mob extracting their pound of flesh.  Trying to figure out how getting rid of this The Eyes will help eradicate police brutality.  Will this help prevent police brutality in the future?

The protests and conversations are broader than just police brutality. Systemic racism in all forms needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/the-limits-of-police-reform

Some of you jokers will believe anything you read online.  I mean your point still stands that things are getting better, but wtf, lulz. 810? 

Probably my fault for not checking my original source before posting.  810 to 72 was huge and that must have stuck in my mind.

8 minutes ago, Lurch said:

The protests and conversations are broader than just police brutality. Systemic racism in all forms needs to be addressed.

So when is will it be adequate?  What is next once all the statues, school songs are gone yet the problem still exists.  Are we trying to solve a problem or are we just exacting retribution?

• Like 6