Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

35 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I see a great similarity in the sentiment.

The similarity is superficial at best. This isn’t erasing history in any respect. It’s considering the broader history, aspects of which we were probably all ignorant of, and considering if it’s reflective of our values.

In fact, it’s the opposite of any of these dystopian comparisons. We are all becoming much more aware of our history, not less so. Whatever the result of this situation, this is a good thing.

If the song goes away (I suspect some compromise will be found), it won’t be in negation of the wonderful memories and feeling so many have with it; it will instead be in consideration of a much fuller and more nuanced view of the history of the song. 

There are reasonable points of contention to work out, but dystopian comparisons aren’t reasonable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why don't we set up a foundation to help former athletes whose careers end prematurely? Has this been brought up?

Or how about getting a degree that is worth a shit and start a career. Are you suggesting that we set up some sort of pension plan for athletes who failed to carve out a successful career in the NFL?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, NWAustinDude said:

Nobody cares if you want to masturbate around with it. Pick a side. White nationalism or Black Lives Matter.

This is by far the dumbest thing Ive heard on this thread.  Pick a side?  How about you consider what YOU think about the issue instead of what your'e being told by both groups.  They both are radical and extreme.  No room for nuance.  No room for thinking. Just Lynch mob justice right?  What a fucking idiot.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Or how about getting a degree that is worth a shit and start a career. Are you suggesting that we set up some sort of pension plan for athletes who failed to carve out a successful career in the NFL?

This is a naive take. The student athletes risk their body to play the game that makes the school a lot of money. Sure it's easy to say they should get a degree and get a career like the rest but bear in mind that they trained their body their whole life, not the mind like other students. It's not fair to ask them to compete in a different field all of a sudden. I am suggesting the foundation to provide a variety of services, including career counseling, networking, loans and grants for entrepreneurs, etc. It's not much but seems fair.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

No one is saying people who grew up singing the Eyes are racist. No one really understood the impact of its history. No one took the time to really listen to the people who said it was racist. That doesn’t make fans bad people. It was okay to love the song. It was okay to sing the song. But now the black community including the entire team is saying hey, if you didn’t know, this song is disrespectful. It hurts us. We don’t want to sing it anymore. And we don’t want you singing it either. Now I know that seems hurtful to say something you love is bad. But they come from a good place. They come from love. They want everyone to come together. A song does not make Texas. A building does not make Texas. People make Texas. 

If the song really hurts them then I am very concerned about the mental toughness of our current players.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Let’s call it the Get A Real Job Foundation. 

Were you as good an athlete as a student? Very few can do well in both. We recruit them not because how well they did in schools. You didn't risk your brain to attend school like they risk their source of livelihood to make the school money. How is this hard to understand?

10 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

This is by far the dumbest thing Ive heard on this thread.  Pick a side?  How about you consider what YOU think about the issue instead of what your'e being told by both groups.  They both are radical and extreme.  No room for nuance.  No room for thinking. Just Lynch mob justice right?  What a fucking idiot.

Again, you can sing The Eyes of Texas whenever you want.

15 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Exactly how is Black Lives Matter radical and extreme? They are only a product of how this country treated them since they were brought over here as slaves. Unless you hate them speaking up?

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 4

Just now, David Dennison said:

Then what's the problem?

Im not going to rehash all the issues we have discussed in the thread.  Go back and look at it yourself.  Im tired of explaining it to you because you only hear what you want to hear.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly how is Black Lives Matter radical and extreme? They are only a product of how this country treated them since they were brought over here as slaves. Unless you hate them speaking up?

I mean a group that has openly called for the killing of cops is pretty radical and extreme to me.  Idk how you stand on that but doesn't sound like a solid group of rational people.  I believe it started with good intentions but got hijacked by extremists like movements often do.  Happens all the time throughout history.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Im not going to rehash all the issues we have discussed in the thread.  Go back and look at it yourself.  Im tired of explaining it to you because you only hear what you want to hear.

Sounds like you want to impose your will on others.

That's kind of ironic considering all of the issues discussed in this thread.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Sounds like you want to impose your will on others.

That's kind of ironic considering all of the issues discussed in this thread.

What?  I fail to see how that makes any since.  Im asking for a nuanced discussion.  It's you who has the mentality of agree with this or you are the one with the problem.  Enough with you.  You are annoying.

1 minute ago, Apex73 said:

What?  I fail to see how that makes any since.  Im asking for a nuanced discussion.  It's you who has the mentality of agree with this or you are the one with the problem.  Enough with you.  You are annoying.

Has anyone told you you can't sing the Eyes of Texas at a Longhorn football game?

44 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Were you as good an athlete as a student? Very few can do well in both. We recruit them not because how well they did in schools. You didn't risk your brain to attend school like they risk their source of livelihood to make the school money. How is this hard to understand?

They aren’t risking their livelihoods “to make the school money.” They’re playing a risky sport to live the dream while perhaps taking a scholarship from a marginally less talented, yet academically qualified student who might not be any better off financially. I don’t think the foundation suggestion was for players whose non-football career was shortened during college, but for players who have their pro football careers shortened after college. I’m not overly sympathetic to the latter. If they spent 4-5 years getting a free education and a pro career doesn’t happen, then the school’s official responsibility ends. Take advantage of the alumni or booster network or learn a trade. Either way, get a real job like the 99% who don’t go pro in their sport. My daughter suffered numerous concussions playing soccer, and now she’s in med school, so I know a little bit about athletes risking livelihoods for reasons other than making money for their school. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

You should hang out at the ROTC building and see what those guys/gals are willing to risk to get and education.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Black lives only seem to matter when white people are taking them. Prove me wrong.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This is a naive take. The student athletes risk their body to play the game that makes the school a lot of money. Sure it's easy to say they should get a degree and get a career like the rest but bear in mind that they trained their body their whole life, not the mind like other students. It's not fair to ask them to compete in a different field all of a sudden. I am suggesting the foundation to provide a variety of services, including career counseling, networking, loans and grants for entrepreneurs, etc. It's not much but seems fair.

My wife is a senior designer for a major clothing brand. She got furloughed in April due to COVID and a halt of manufacturing in China. Her job performance was stellar and she lead projects that brought in millions of dollars in revenue, many times working 14 hour days. She came to this country on a full fashion design scholarship from Russia, learned English, paid her dues and made it to the top. The problem is that no one will be running out to spend money on expensive shirts or suits for quite a while. So, despite her talent and skins on the wall, she may have to look for new employment. But there is no other employment. Every clothing manufacturer is suffering the same problem and will be for the foreseeable future. Her 20 years of experience is worthless right now through no fault of her own. It is entirely possible that she may need to go into another career to gain employment.

Life is not fair. 

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 8

58 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

My wife is a senior designer for a major clothing brand. She got furloughed in April due to COVID and a halt of manufacturing in China. Her job performance was stellar and she lead projects that brought in millions of dollars in revenue, many times working 14 hour days. She came to this country on a full fashion design scholarship from Russia, learned English, paid her dues and made it to the top. The problem is that no one will be running out to spend money on expensive shirts or suits for quite a while. So, despite her talent and skins on the wall, she may have to look for new employment. But there is no other employment. Every clothing manufacturer is suffering the same problem and will be for the foreseeable future. Her 20 years of experience is worthless right now through no fault of her own. It is entirely possible that she may need to go into another career to gain employment.

Life is not fair. 

That sucks man.  I hope for good and awesome things for you and your wife. Better than you would expect.  

3 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Black lives only seem to matter when white people are taking them. Prove me wrong.

There are countless organizations dedicated to the proposition of improving the lives of African Americans: the NAACP, the Urban League, the Common Ground Foundation, We Are Here, the Black Youth Project . . . the list goes on and on. You probably don't pay attention to thsse groups because white people seem to only get butt hurt when black people have the temerity to ask white people to treat them as equals. Prove me wrong.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Apex73 said:

If the song really hurts them then I am very concerned about the mental toughness of our current players.

This position is so morally bankrupt. For one moment, try to imagine not being white. I truly feel sorry for you. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There are countless organizations dedicated to the proposition of improving the lives of African Americans: the NAACP, the Urban League, the Common Ground Foundation, We Are Here, the Black Youth Project . . . the list goes on and on. You probably don't pay attention to thsse groups because white people seem to only get butt hurt when black people have the temerity to ask white people to treat them as equals. Prove me wrong.

Which organization addresses black on black crime, which is far more prevalent? In 2019, the police shot 1,004 people. 250 of them were black. Nearly all them were armed and resisting the police. Only 9 were shot unarmed. (I don’t have info on why they were shot) There are 42,000,000 black Americans in this country. Where is the threat that is plaguing the black community by racist cops causing black people to fear for their lives? That is what BLM is fighting against. You can read it for yourself: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/. 9 deaths is a good weekend in Chicago.

Everyone agrees that:

1. Racism is bad and needs to be abolished from our society

2. Cops need to change their tactics when dealing with the public 

3. Everyone should be equal 

Let’s focus on these things instead of creating a false narrative that (white) cops are hunting to kill black people. BLM has no interest in doing that. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

If we haven't figured out in 2020 that the mind lasts longer than the body we are beyond fucked as a country. 

94% will never be paid to play football. Maybe their support system and guidance counselors are majorly failing at their jobs. 

And schools make tons of money off of their students labor all of the time. Research assistants, medical break-throughs, inventions, research, patents. All provide massive revenue for the university yet no one cries for the TAs. 

No one is forced to play football. It’s a choice. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I guess, like in Chicago, it should be ignored and dismissed?

Just as easy to say those that omit this from the equation have an agenda other than protecting black lives, correct?  Because selective omission is not how you problem solve. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Fuck off. The Eyes of Texas is our fucking fight song. You might be fine with sacrificing anything the cultural Robespierres might want to chop off but maybe the rest of us who value our history don’t. I’m waiting for you and the rest of the cabal to chime in and agree with your bullshit position. This isn’t the same thing as the traitor Confederate flag or statues

Username does NOT check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Everyone agrees that:

Stipulated. Two things we don't all agree on:

1) What constitutes racism / what is or isn't racist

2) Who gets to define and decide #1

The white population in this country is pretty split on both and the split gets nastier all the time.

• Like 1

I disagree that the changes they propose are positive.  I think they accomplish nothing.  And the fact that you can't have an opposing view without someone implying you are a terrible person speaks volumes about where we are with this.  No room for nuance.  No room for discussion.  No room for thinking.  Its agree with us or else.  Thats a mob mentality.  And the only reason any of this is happening is because of the recent narrative. Nobody gave a shit about this until recently.

incorrect.

Prather and Painter names were protested when i was in school 30 years ago... when the Fijis had a Sambo t-shirt for some party, and we all marched to their house and whined about them and the university supporting klansmen and slaveholders by naming buildings after them.

i guess a bunch of people are hoping the American negro slave descendants (it appears some want to keep the historical naming conventions instead of "African Americans") put their heads back in the sand for another 30 years.

nothing gets America charged up more than discussing ways to try to to end racism (aside from donating money, because they know it keeps people in check, ie quiet.)
  • Like 5

The foundation would only serve former student athletes, so I am not sure why NCAA would have any say in it. 

I'm no expert on NCAA rules but if this was legal to do, every rich school would have already done it.  Think of the recruiting advantage you'd have with a de facto "pension" plan in place.

21 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Which organization addresses black on black crime, which is far more prevalent? In 2019, the police shot 1,004 people. 250 of them were black. Nearly all them were armed and resisting the police. Only 9 were shot unarmed. (I don’t have info on why they were shot) There are 42,000,000 black Americans in this country. Where is the threat that is plaguing the black community by racist cops causing black people to fear for their lives? That is what BLM is fighting against. You can read it for yourself: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/. 9 deaths is a good weekend in Chicago.

Everyone agrees that:

Let’s focus on these things instead of creating a false narrative that (white) cops are hunting to kill black people. BLM has no interest in doing that. 

Not everyone agrees with the three things you listed, especially if it threatens the status quo.

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Stipulated. Two things we don't all agree on:

1) What constitutes racism / what is or isn't racist

2) Who gets to define and decide #1

The white population in this country is pretty split on both and the split gets nastier all the time.

I don’t disagree with that at all. It would be nice to have civil discussions on these issues instead of rioting and throwing tear gas into crowds/shooting rubber bullets. It overshadows the peaceful protesters exercising the Constitutional right and cops that are only there to protect the safety of such. The ability to dictate the narrative doesn’t necessarily lead to an acquiescence of terms. It doesn’t work in a parent/child relationship and it damn sure doesn’t motivate those ignorant to what may be considered racist to change their behavior. There is a problem that needs to be solved. A real opportunity for dialogue is there and it is being squandered to progress political agendas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Apex73 said:

I mean a group that has openly called for the killing of cops is pretty radical and extreme to me.  Idk how you stand on that but doesn't sound like a solid group of rational people.  I believe it started with good intentions but got hijacked by extremists like movements often do.  Happens all the time throughout history.

Negged for intentional distortion of truth. BLM has led a brilliant, non-violent, inclusive national demonstration to address the issue of government violence against black people. You must produce evidence of BLM calling for the "killing of police." That doesn't mean a Breitbart story about one guy in the street. Show me that BLM calls for "killing police." 

I don't neg often. I always say why. It's overwhelmingly done in response to lies and disingenuous sophistry which is the same thing as a lie.

You're embracing a lie about BLM which the government is using to justify using force against the peaceful demonstrators. It's on video. Take a look. Your reach for this lie removes whatever atoms of credibility you had.

Peddle the hate and stupidity elsewhere. The US is already full up.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 7

Just now, Spankytoes said:

I don’t disagree with that at all. It would be nice to have civil discussions on these issues instead of rioting and throwing tear gas into crowds/shooting rubber bullets. It overshadows the peaceful protesters exercising the Constitutional right and cops that are only there to protect the safety of such. The ability to dictate the narrative doesn’t necessarily lead to an acquiescence of terms. It doesn’t work in a parent/child relationship and it damn sure doesn’t motivate those ignorant to what may be considered racist to change their behavior. There is a problem that needs to be solved. A real opportunity for dialogue is there and it is being squandered to progress political agendas.

Civil discussions on these issues happen all the time. Violence occurs because those discussions fall on deaf ears. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mole said:

The similarity is superficial at best. This isn’t erasing history in any respect. It’s considering the broader history, aspects of which we were probably all ignorant of, and considering if it’s reflective of our values.

In fact, it’s the opposite of any of these dystopian comparisons. We are all becoming much more aware of our history, not less so. Whatever the result of this situation, this is a good thing.

If the song goes away (I suspect some compromise will be found), it won’t be in negation of the wonderful memories and feeling so many have with it; it will instead be in consideration of a much fuller and more nuanced view of the history of the song. 

There are reasonable points of contention to work out, but dystopian comparisons aren’t reasonable.

I'm sure many book burners took the same view. "We now see these books through a new and more nuanced lens, so they must go. Since we now have a totally perfect view of (the subject, the manner in which it was presented, the non perfect nature of author, fill in the blank). This (book, statue, song) must be purged for all time!"

Having your feelings hurt, by the way a song was presented over 100 years ago or by the Jewish linage of an author are childish at best. But be assured these are the same old human impulses in both cases. 

Moving back to football as a topic, we are about to get our asses handed to us this season. If I were an OU fan I'd be laughing my ass off at the lack of focus on football. As such I believe this will be Tom's last year.

Edited by 927 E. 41st
spelling error

On 6/12/2020 at 9:03 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It really doesn’t matter at this point. Anyone who disagrees with the players stance will be branded a racist. It’s a done deal at this point

Watch what you say, some fuckwhit on here will tell you to grow a sack, and whatever...

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

incorrect.

Prather and Painter names were protested when i was in school 30 years ago... when the Fijis had a Sambo t-shirt for some party, and we all marched to their house and whined about them and the university supporting klansmen and slaveholders by naming buildings after them.

i guess a bunch of people are hoping the American negro slave descendants (it appears some want to keep the historical naming conventions instead of "African Americans") put their heads back in the sand for another 30 years.

nothing gets America charged up more than discussing ways to try to to end racism (aside from donating money, because they know it keeps people in check, ie quiet.)

Snacks, not to turn this into ask an African American anything, but what's your opinion on the Eyes?  Did black students always hate it and feel like it had racial overtones, even when you were in school?  

As I've stated earlier, I'm on the side that the current students seem to be stretching to find a racial connection that most, including me, did not know existed until this week, but if a group of folks has always felt uncomfortable with it that certainly changes things.

Horseshit. They risk their body for the chance at making millions in the NFL. They don’t play football as a service. This is no different from the PPAs or JDs who hurt themselves studying through sleep deprivation and other choices so they can get the big job. Stop making football players out to being anything other than what they are, football players. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Civil discussions on these issues happen all the time. Violence occurs because those discussions fall on deaf ears. 

I think we can all agree that this seems very different compared to incidences of the past.  Everyone seems much more open to listen and try to come up with some serious solutions.  So now more than ever we need to have those civil discussions.  Not sure lists of demands will aid in those discussions.  

• Like 1