Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

You are correct. That is the biggest problem. You are suggesting we only solve the biggest problems and not the mentalities and the memorabilia that helped create that problem.

Black families were broken apart upon capture... Slaves were bred. Families (the initial community of anyone's life) were illegal. Slaves couldn't have families. For hundreds of years, family was limited to very few black people. However, killing of slaves and blacks has been legal, more or less, since before this country has been a country to today.

So, as you see, and I'm sure you already know, the value system that has failed the black Americans was intentionally created by white Americans.

We, the black coalition, would like to erase some of the heritage, teachings, and honoring of people who created the system that intended to leave us fatherless, uneducated, ignorant, and dead.

Are you being the devil's advocate or the devil? Put your stake in the ground or your head back in the ground.

I haven't read one example of any thoughts or ideas from you. All I've read is you denying the issues have existed for long or denying that the current system is actually a problem.

this isn't new. you're (acting) new.

What laws permit the killing of black Americans today?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

In the 1960s (not 1800s),the percentage of children born to African American single parent homes was approximately 23%. Something definitely changed in the system. 

“The first thing, the first difficulty, is really so simple it’s usually overlooked. To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a state of rage almost, almost all of the time — and in one’s work. And part of the rage is this: It isn’t only what is happening to you. But it’s what’s happening all around you and all of the time in the face of the most extraordinary and criminal indifference, indifference of most white people in this country, and their ignorance. Now, since this is so, it’s a great temptation to simplify the issues under the illusion that if you simplify them enough, people will recognize them. I think this illusion is very dangerous because, in fact, it isn’t the way it works. A complex thing can’t be made simple. You simply have to try to deal with it in all its complexity and hope to get that complexity across.”

-James Baldwin

There were an assortment cultural transformations that happened during the 60s that people seem to ignore. Relaxing standards towards sex and marriage. More autonomy for women and an increased presence in the workforce. Seeing as how all demographics groups had similar increases in the growth rates of % of illegitimate births. Maybe there were several forces as work.

Additionally the number of births per capita by unmarried black women has gone down significantly during the time in question (ie post great society programs; haven't read the entire thread, but conservatives love to go here so I will get here first). Unfortunately the issue is that births per capita by married black women have gone down far more drastically. Making the overall proportion of kids born to unmarried black women totally out of wack compared to previous generations. Still though, black people in general simply aren't having as many kids as we once did. Which begs the question, if welfare is the supposed cause of black family dysfunction, then why are black folks having fewer children with this purported incentive to do otherwise. The answer is something beyond what people blithely attribute as simple causes to complex problems.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stannis said:

What laws permit the killing of black Americans today?

Judging by how certain culprits are free to go home and continue on about their day after murdering black folks as though nothing happened it seems as though it's an unspoken aspect of our judicial system. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Change doesn’t happen in our country by asking nicely. If it did, the riots, protest, destruction would not be necessary. See Coal Miners Rebellion, Civil Rights Long Hot Summer riots, Stonewall Riots, etc, etc,. 

Now for some reason, the Floyd death has brought together the world in saying we need change, and now is the time to listen to them, they are telling you what needs to be changed at Texas. And your response is to rebuke their changes as being too demanding. They demand too much change from the whites. A couple of building names, a part of a stadium dedicated to the first black player, donations to charity, and a song. And the white fanbase is melting down over it. It is embarrassing and shameful to me this much of our fanbase lacks empathy 

Well yeah, but he said he was open to civil conversation and finding solutions (as long as those solutions don’t involve changing something he doesn’t want changed). 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The rate of "fatherlessness" in the black community skyrocketed from the mid-1960s on. I guess we must have started singing the hell out of The Eyes of Texas at that point. 

This is a really good post and a great contribution to the thread. You should be proud of this one. 

3 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Only 9 were shot unarmed.*

Not only that, but half of them were killed by black cops, and half of those (not the exact same half) were shown by video evidence or eyewitnesses to have been attacking the police officer with their hands or vehicles. Annnnd, most of the cops who were not being attacked were charged with felonies. This isn’t exactly genocide, and it’s a far less than the number killed in 2015 or 2016. It seems to me that things may be improving or at least ratcheting down. 

* For clarification, there were 9 shot and killed, not just shot. I’ve also seen the number at 10, so maybe that includes death by something other than shooting, like a knee on the neck.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Okay, okay...I’ll tone it down.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

“The first thing, the first difficulty, is really so simple it’s usually overlooked. To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a state of rage almost, almost all of the time — and in one’s work. And part of the rage is this: It isn’t only what is happening to you. But it’s what’s happening all around you and all of the time in the face of the most extraordinary and criminal indifference, indifference of most white people in this country, and their ignorance. Now, since this is so, it’s a great temptation to simplify the issues under the illusion that if you simplify them enough, people will recognize them. I think this illusion is very dangerous because, in fact, it isn’t the way it works. A complex thing can’t be made simple. You simply have to try to deal with it in all its complexity and hope to get that complexity across.”

-James Baldwin

There were an assortment cultural transformations that happened during the 60s that people seem to ignore. Relaxing standards towards sex and marriage. More autonomy for women and an increased presence in the workforce. Seeing as how all demographics groups had similar increases in the growth rates of % of illegitimate births. Maybe there were several forces as work.

Additionally the number of births per capita by unmarried black women has gone down significantly during the time in question (ie post great society programs; haven't read the entire thread, but conservatives love to go here so I will get here first). Unfortunately the issue is that births per capita by married black women have gone down far more drastically. Making the overall proportion of kids born to unmarried black women totally out of wack compared to previous generations. Still though, black people in general simply aren't having as many kids as we once did. Which begs the question, if welfare is the supposed cause of black family dysfunction, then why are black folks having fewer children with this purported incentive to do otherwise. The answer is something beyond what people blithely attribute as simple causes to complex problems.

I want to highlight this because most people aren't aware of this fact. 

In 1970 the birthrate for unmarried black women was 96 per 1000. 

In 1980 it was 87.9 per 1000

in 2005 it was 60.6 per 1000

There was a big spike in the 80s, but the trend is clear. Unmarried black women are having fewer children than they did in the past. As of 2002 the birth rate for married black women was 64.9 per 1000. 

Some of these stats are referenced in the article below an the source data is there as well. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/06/understanding-out-of-wedlock-births-in-black-america/277084/

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2009/02/the-math-on-black-out-of-wedlock-births/6738/

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Judging by how certain culprits are free to go home and continue on about their day after murdering black folks as though nothing happened it seems as though it's an unspoken aspect of our judicial system. 

See black on black crime rates and get back to me on which denominator is greatest. This fact could be the real short coming of the Judicial system.

This is like pissing in the wind, but I don’t understand the lack of creative thinking here. 

Let me ask you: how much money would you pay (those of you who actually attend games and cheer in person for our players) for the privilege of singing the Eyes of Texas on a certain Saturday in October in Dallas?

I would happily pay, say, $100 for the privilege of singing the Eyes of Texas. In exchange for this $100, I would wear a specific hat, shirt, sticker, whatever, that indicates that I am a proud supporter of the Eyes of Texas Foundation. When I stand for the Eyes of Texas, I stand against systemic racism in our country and contribute monetarily to organizations and programs devoted to this cause. And I will not be alone. There will be tens of thousands of others just like me.  Let’s say something like 25 thousand x 100 = 2.5 million dollars. And that’s just the Texas-OU game.  

Thanks to the activism of our athletes, we will overhaul the symbolism associated with this song. The Eyes of Texas Foundation will donate more money to groups fighting racism and police brutality than any other charitable organization associated with any other institution of higher learning in the country (a loose association, mind you - I get that the University is limited in this capacity). And people are certainly welcome to - and people certainly will - donate more than $100 per game for the privilege of singing the Eyes. 

In other words, let’s tap into the rich pockets of the alumni who support our football program in order to further the cause of social justice. Isn’t this a better route than getting rid of the song entirely, which may make some people feel better but will NOT raise tens of millions of dollars to support racial justice and will NOT unite the fan base? We can harness the power of the Eyes of Texas – to which many fans are deeply and emotionally attached – and turn it into a fundraising engine for racial equity

As Michael Scott would say, win-win.

Edited by Bruno Sardine
typos and such
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

In the 1960s (not 1800s),the percentage of children born to African American single parent homes was approximately 23%. Something definitely changed in the system. 

I’d like to introduce you to ‘The War on Drugs’. 

Now go go look at drug use by teens by race. 

Then go look at arrest/conviction rates for drug use by race. 

Then go look at sentencing by race. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’d like to introduce you to ‘The War on Drugs’. 

Now go go look at drug use by teens by race. 

Then go look at arrest/conviction rates for drug use by race. 

Then go look at sentencing by race. 

And yet somehow OJ walked? Was it because of the color of his skin or his wallet? 

12 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

See black on black crime rates and get back to me on which denominator is greatest. This fact could be the real short coming of the Judicial system.

What point are you trying to make about black on black crime rates?

Blacks killed by blacks: 90%
Whites killed by whites: 82%

So blacks kill their own race slightly more than whites kill their own race, and...?

30 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Additionally the number of births per capita by unmarried black women has gone down significantly during the time in question (ie post great society programs; haven't read the entire thread, but conservatives love to go here so I will get here first). Unfortunately the issue is that births per capita by married black women have gone down far more drastically. Making the overall proportion of kids born to unmarried black women totally out of wack compared to previous generations.

How old is that James Baldwin quote? He died in 1987, so I’m pretty sure he would be thrilled to be a 20 year old pampered college child in 2020.

I’m no a mathematician, but couldn’t the number of children born to unwed mothers increase while the birth rate of both unmarried and married decrease, especially if the fertility rate of married women decreases even more while the percentage of married continually shrinks? I think there are numerous quotes from contemporary blacks like Obama who bemoan the crisis of single motherhood in the black community.

The birth rates of unmarried, but cohabitating women complicates it even more, so maybe single parent should be used in place of unmarried.

Speaking of fertility rates, I read a study years ago that measured the fertility rates of all races based on education level (<HS, HS, College). I think the study even included Hispanics. I’m fairly certain that <HS black women had the highest birth rates, but college educated black women definitely had the lowest.

Statistics are hard, but easy to pick and choose (which we all do).

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I do see contradiction in your statement about giving up the song and your declaration that no reason could ever exist for you to do so. Do you not see the contradiction and what it implies?

Roma, I made no such declaration. I actually did the opposite. I said I would never sing it again if it would make any difference. And by that I mean a real substantive difference. It is unfortunate that, the guys who put this forward have hurt their case for things that actually would make a difference. My perspective is, that either way this goes, the net result toward any real progress is zero. 

Again, I respect your opinion, but I never said that.

3 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

One can say that the lack of a nationwide effort to address the issues that create that crime and the overall inclination to view it as something apart or outside of American life aligns perfectly with what I said before. The overall theme is black life don't matter. That's why it was easy to displace black communities to build the interstate system. That's why it was easy to prohibit the black community for generations from taking part in FHA & VA loans, the building of surburbia, and relegate them to densely impoverish public housing. That why was it was easy to deny black folks capital and the ability to leverage it to build commerce, businesses, and communities. That's why it's easy to dismiss the problems of black people without actually knowing anything about black people the experience in the United States.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

And yet somehow OJ walked? Was it because of the color of his skin or his wallet? 

Keep referencing OJ. I'll reference the fact that it took Medgar Evars killers 30 years to receive justice, Emmitt Till's killers, George Zimmerman, damn near every cop who kills a black person, every lynching from the 1860s through the 1960s, the people who bombed the 4 black girls in Birmingham and so on and so forth. You can hold on to OJ. 

2 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I see that the double standard in college football that Herman mentioned is in full display at my alma mater. We would cheer for our players on Saturdays when they risk their body to make a nice hot but God forbid we try to help them when they are done playing. Because ROTC and smart people like you obviously did the same thing, made money for their school, came from an underprivileged background that's the result of our tremendous history of racial and economic equity. Most of these kids beat the odds, and with some helping hand, they will be the ones to break the cycle. But sure let's not give them a helping hand. 

I’m not sure if this is a joke or not. So I will respond as I see it.

To catch you up...  someone suggested we create a fund for athletes once they are done playing sports for a living. Because they sacrifice so much.  

I suggested that person visit the ROTC building to see sacrifice.

Then you come out and say athletes come from underprivileged families like Colin Johnson and are above everyone else who break an economic cycle. And all kids in ROTC have silver spoons in their mouths and are living in the lap of luxury for sacrificing themselves for their free education. After all, they have a guaranteed job making $40k a year as a 2ndLt after graduation.  

Look, I get it.  Athletes have to sacrifice more. Like attending autograph sessions out in the heat and being away from their families over the holidays at a second/third tier bowl game. They even have to go to children’s hospitals sometimes and smile and put up with sick kids and stuff.  Other students, like ROTC kids don’t do shit extra. They just punch the clock and get a free education. And don’t even get me started on sacrificing their bodies for that “free education”. Military people don’t sacrifice even a fraction of what athletes do. Have you ever ran competitive track and field? Im in awe at what risks to their health they endure for our benefit. Just so inspiring.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

This is like pissing in the wind, but I don’t understand the lack of creative thinking here. 

Let me ask you: how much money would you pay (those of you who actually attend games and cheer in person for our players) for the privilege of singing the Eyes of Texas on a certain Saturday in October in Dallas?

I would happily pay, say, $100 for the privilege of singing the Eyes of Texas. In exchange for this $100, I would wear a specific hat, shirt, sticker, whatever, that indicates that I am a proud supporter of the Eyes of Texas Foundation. When I stand for the Eyes of Texas, I stand against systemic racism in our country and contribute monetarily to organizations and programs devoted to this cause. And I will not be alone. There will be tens of thousands of others just like me.  Let’s say something like 25 thousand x 100 = 2.5 million dollars. And that’s just the Texas-OU game.  

Thanks to the activism of our athletes, we will overhaul the symbolism associated with this song. The Eyes of Texas Foundation will donate more money to groups fighting racism and police brutality than any other charitable organization associated with any other institution of higher learning in the country (a loose association, mind you - I get that the University is limited in this capacity). And people are certainly welcome to - and people certainly will - donate more than $100 per game for the privilege of singing the Eyes. 

In other words, let’s tap into the rich pockets of the alumni who support our football program in order to further the cause of social justice. Isn’t this a better route than getting rid of the song entirely, which may make some people feel better but will NOT raise tens of millions of dollars to support racial justice and will NOT unite the fan base? We can harness the power of the Eyes of Texas – to which many fans are deeply and emotionally attached – and turn it into a fundraising engine for racial equity

As Michael Scott would say, win-win.

It’s win-win-win. Both sides win and the mediator wins for successfully mediating a conflict.

But seriously, this is the the solution I hope they come to. Reclaim the song as a symbol of reconciliation and justice. Maybe tweak the lyrics a bit to support this - changing “upon you” to “upon us” seems like a start - and raise lots of money for some well-defined, productive causes. Maybe look at how South Africa dealt with their national anthem as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Might as well go ahead and change the school colors to black. 

Please don’t joke about this. They let the players choose their practice jersey colors a few years ago and my eyes have just now unburned. 

Edited by Longhorn
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

I heard Frank Erwin once took in a showing of Song of the South and enjoyed it. All in favor of renaming FEC to Kumba Yah Hall, say aye.

I’ve got some great news for you about the FEC! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nice job, you tried to remain "inclusive" while trying to paint me as something I'm not. I've been respectful of your views I would expect the same of you.
Back to the point, I don't see "the Eyes" the same way you do (not that you would like to be inclusive of my view). "A stick in a disgraceful quilt" clever, but untrue. And yes, I would gladly stop singing it if doing so would change anything or save a single life.
It won't, unhappy people will always be unhappy. Nothing you do will change that.
Rooster Andrews drew the logo and he gladly played on a segregated team. To me that seems equally as damning  as this gossamer thin case against "the eyes". BTW I fully support anyone that doesn't want to sing it for any reason. 

If I recall correctly Rooster Andrews heir was run off the old sight for making racist comments.

45 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

It was at least in part because one of the police investigating the murder was recorded on tape as saying he'd enjoy "lining the n* against the wall and shooting them".

Edited by Ignatius

3 hours ago, Apex73 said:

For Christ sake the FBI classified them as a domestic terrorist group a few years ago.  

That is patently false.  There is no legal mechanism by which a domestic group can be designated a terrorist organization.  I think you are confusing the FBI with Tucker Carlson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

So blacks kill their own race slightly more than whites kill their own race, and... but... blacks kill far more of there own than do whites.  It’s still a ginormous problem  

There are two sides to the statistics coin. 

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Pretty sure the UT admin is not gonna ask surly forum posters what we think about this issue...imho.

It seems like it has already been decided.  I highly doubt the University would be willing to countenance the optics of a bunch of good ol boys hollering minstrel songs at predominantly African American student athletes who have expressed their discomfort with said minstrel song.

40 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

One can say that the lack of a nationwide effort to address the issues that create that crime and the overall inclination to view it as something apart or outside of American life aligns perfectly with what I said before. The overall theme is black life don't matter. That's why it was easy to displace black communities to build the interstate system. That's why it was easy to prohibit the black community for generations from taking part in FHA & VA loans, the building of surburbia, and relegate them to densely impoverish public housing. That why was it was easy to deny black folks capital and the ability to leverage it to build commerce, businesses, and communities. That's why it's easy to dismiss the problems of black people without actually knowing anything about black people the experience in the United States.  

I do not see how pointing out statistical facts about black on black violence is dismissive of the plight of the black man in America. You are broadening the subject now by a wide margin by bringing in racism/banking racism/govt. BLM has focused on institutional racism as it pertains to black people getting killed by white police. 

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

So blacks kill their own race slightly more than whites kill their own race, and...?

Black Lives Matter , protests and so forth ignore the majority of violent black lives ended. They practice in race baiting And police bashing, especially around election years so as to effect the vote.  Clear enough?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Keep referencing OJ. I'll reference the fact that it took Medgar Evars killers 30 years to receive justice, Emmitt Till's killers, George Zimmerman, damn near every cop who kills a black person, every lynching from the 1860s through the 1960s, the people who bombed the 4 black girls in Birmingham and so on and so forth. You can hold on to OJ. 

Was Zimmerman white? My comment towards OJ was to point out that if you are rich and black you get justice. If you are poor and black you don’t. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

I’m not sure if this is a joke or not. So I will respond as I see it.

To catch you up...  someone suggested we create a fund for athletes once they are done playing sports for a living. Because they sacrifice so much.  

I suggested that person visit the ROTC building to see sacrifice.

Then you come out and say athletes come from underprivileged families like Colin Johnson and are above everyone else who break an economic cycle. And all kids in ROTC have silver spoons in their mouths and are living in the lap of luxury for sacrificing themselves for their free education. After all, they have a guaranteed job making $40k a year as a 2ndLt after graduation.  

Look, I get it.  Athletes have to sacrifice more. Like attending autograph sessions out in the heat and being away from their families over the holidays at a second/third tier bowl game. They even have to go to children’s hospitals sometimes and smile and put up with sick kids and stuff.  Other students, like ROTC kids don’t do shit extra. They just punch the clock and get a free education. And don’t even get me started on sacrificing their bodies for that “free education”. Military people don’t sacrifice even a fraction of what athletes do. Have you ever ran competitive track and field? Im in awe at what risks to their health they endure for our benefit. Just so inspiring.

First of all, nobody suggested a fund. It was my suggestion to set up a foundation, which is very different from a fund. Second, people like you say AllLivesMatter when they argue against BLM. Sure all lives matter but you are deflecting from the issue at hand by saying ALM instead of BLM. Then you guys desperately look for stats to support your point even though deep down you know you are being disingenuous.

Look I don't expect you or your clan to get it because it's how you were raised and you just want to protect the status quo. Why wouldn't you, as it has served your clan for generations? Angry white man is a thing to see!

2 hours ago, Stannis said:

I've seen this opinion expressed a number of times on this website since the Floyd murder - the idea that violent rioting is the only way to effect change in this country.  It ignores a long history of Supreme Court equal protection and due process cases expanding and affirming the rights of black Americans in the context of voting, marriage, housing, education, criminal justice, and more.

As far as I know, in none of the below cases was the majority opinion driven by violent riots.  Rather, the rule of law embedded in our Constitution guided the important changes that came from:

Powell v. Alabama (1932) (affirming the right to counsel in criminal prosecutions brought by a state in the context of black men accused of raping white women)

Smith v. Allwright (1944) (extending voting rights protection in the context of all-white primary elections)

Shelley v. Kraemer (1948) (prohibiting racially restrictive housing covenants)

Sweatt v. Painter (1950) (overturning "separate but equal" and laying the foundation for Brown v. Board of Education)

Terry v. Adams (1953) (holding that racial discrimination in primary elections is unconstitutional)

Brown v. Board of Education (1954) (holding that racial segregation in public schools is unconstitutional)

Bolling v. Sharpe (1954) (ending public school segregation in the District of Columbia)

NAACP v. Alabama (1958) (protecting the NAACP from unconstitutional subpoenas issued by the state)

Boynton v. Virginia (1960) (holding that racial discrimination in public transportation is illegal)

Edwards v. South Carolina (1963) (affirming the right of Americans to peacefully assemble and protest - here in the context of racial civil rights)

Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States (1964) (extending the Commerce Clause to provide protection to interstate travelers against racial discrimination in lodging)

Evans v. Newton (1966) (expanding equal protection under the Fourteenth Amendment to public parks)

Loving v. Virginia (1967) (striking down laws banning interracial marriage)

I think you're ignoring what it took to enforce those rights

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Deal. I’ll Reference that black people are responsible for taking more black lives than white cops or white people. Books have been written about OJ escaping justice as a watershed moment for the black community as a direct effect of all the horrible events you bring up.

BTW Zimmerman was hispanic.

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

First of all, nobody suggested a fund. It was my suggestion to set up a foundation, which is very different from a fund. Second, people like you say AllLivesMatter when they argue against BLM. Sure all lives matter but you are deflecting from the issue at hand by saying ALM instead of BLM. Then you guys desperately look for stats to support your point even though deep down you know you are being disingenuous.

Look I don't expect you or your clan to get it because it's how you were raised and you just want to protect the status quo. Why wouldn't you, as it has served your clan for generations? Angry white man is a thing to see!

Delicious irony is a sweet, sweet thing.  

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I think you're ignoring what it took to enforce those rights

I think he’s also ignoring such gems from The Supremes as Dred Scott, Plessy v Ferguson. 

I also think he is ignoring Bull Connor, and his type. And the 16th St Baptist Church. And federal troops in Little Rock. Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The history of violence driving civil rights reform far outweighs the history of the Supreme Court doing anything to bring about meaningful change in the streets of our nation. 

The Supreme Court has made its decision, now let them enforce it.”

48 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Black Lives Matter , protests and so forth ignore the majority of violent black lives ended. They practice in race baiting And police bashing, especially around election years so as to effect the vote.  Clear enough?

So are you saying the next time a white person is unjustly murdered by police, people should not protest it because the vast majority of white people are killed by white people and they should focus on that instead? That's what you're implying.

Edited by OU Sucks

I feel like a lot of this discussion has been blown out of proportion so to clear up any misconceptions.....

1.  I definitely support the kids rights to say whatever they want and talk about the issues with whoever they want and I can understand the frustration with a shitty system that has failed to address the issues with it's lower and working class citizens.  However I don't agree that the more outraged or hurt you are correlates to being as justified.

2. We definitely have a real chance to improve our interactions with police if we have an effective discussion about reform.  I definitely support everything the guys have said on that front for the most part.  There needs to be a change their but it needs a more careful approach than just defunding the police. 

3.  I really don't care if the players and students want to take down the statues or rename the buildings.  It's just not really going to accomplish anything and I don't really think its gonna make anyone feel better but whatever.  I think changing the song is asking for a lot.  That's where it becomes a witch hunt in my opinion.  

4.  The idea that if you don''t agree with some of the aspects that are going on makes you a bad person is not the way to handle this.  We have a lot of people on this site that are pandering because of a ridiculous sense of white guilt.  The implication is that if you don't agree with what the kids want right now then you don't care about them or black lives.  This is an absurd notion.  So if I don't agree with what they want then I must think the way things are currently are perfect and no need for change. That's also an absurd contention.  But this performative "woke" virtue signaling from white people who are taking on sins that were not theirs so as to take the sins of a broader group of people who are not them.   Meaning when you a performative woke liberal and they say "Im taking on the sins of my ancestors" really means "Im not taking on the sins of my ancestors all the other white people who don't agree with me are taking on the sins of the ancestors."  That's what's troubling.

5. I support these kids in all their  future endeavors in football and in life.  I hope their experience and the University of Texas is one they look back on with pride and satisfaction.  I know I certainly do.  Hook Em.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1

I feel like allot of this discussion has been blown out of proportion so to clear up any misconceptions..... 1.  I definitely support the kids rights to say whatever they want and talk about the issues with whoever they want and I can understand the frustration with a shitty system that has failed to address the issues with it's lower and working class citizens.  However I don't agree that the more outraged or hurt you are correlates to being as justified.

2. We definitely have a real chance to improve our interactions with police if we have an effective discussion about reform.  I definitely support everything the guys have said on that front for the most part.  There needs to be a change their but it needs a more careful approach than just defunding the police. 

3.  I really don't care if the players and students want to take down the statues or rename the buildings.  It's just not really going to accomplish anything and I don't really think its gonna make anyone feel better but whatever.  I think changing the song is asking for a lot.  That's where it becomes a witch hunt in my opinion.  

4.  The idea that if you don''t agree with some of the aspects that are going on makes you a bad person is not the way to handle this.  We have a lot of people on this site that are pandering because of a ridiculous sense of white guilt.  The implication is that if you don't agree with what the kids want right now then you don't care about them or black lives.  This is an absurd notion.  So if I don't agree with what they want then I must think the way things are currently are perfect and no need for change. That's also an absurd contention.  But this performative "woke" virtue signaling from white people who are taking on sins that were not theirs so as to take the sins of a broader group of people who are not them.   Meaning when you a performative woke liberal and they say "Im taking on the sins of my ancestors" really means "Im not taking on the sins of my ancestors all the other white people who don't agree with me are taking on the sins of the ancestors."  That's what's troubling.

5. I support these kids in all their  future endeavors in football and in life.  I hope their experience and the University of Texas is one they look back on with pride and satisfaction.  I know I certainly do.  Hook Em.

“A lot”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alien Octopus said:

Black lives matter was created for the expressed purpose and goal of bringing attention to police brutality (not just police murders) and injustice within the criminal justice system. You, along with most white people, don’t know shit about what goes on within the confines of the black community. You don’t know what’s discussed in black churches, black civic groups, black fraternal organizations, black barbershops, or just among black friends. News of stop the violence campaigns rarely get reported or discussed in mainstream media. I can guarantee you if you went to Facebook and searched you’d get more hits for stop the violence campaigns than black lives matter.  Your ignorance of this fact doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 9