Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You have a point? A lot of it reads like freaking out and grasping at any straw you can find. 

dope retort. that must be why the majority of my posts in this thread are overflowing with pos rep. i made the bombastic Nike example because if we are going to make ourselves woke *to the point of claiming that The Eyes of Texas" is so racist that the school needs to find a new song*, then yeah, Nike's gotta go too.

I mean it's not even fucking close. what hurts/negatively affects more people, The Eyes of Texas (a song that has zero racial lyrics and has brought people together for decades) or Nike, a mega company known for exploiting cheap labor/child labor? if we're setting the precedent that the fucking Eyes of Texas is too racist for our school then there's absolutely zero reason not to cut ties with Nike, tear down the stadium (one of the last stadiums to host an all-white team, named after a coach who recruited all white players for years) and eliminate the football program until we can find a piece of land that no racist ever touched while employing Rooster Andrews as our official apparel maker.  fucking hilarious that you would claim that *I'm* grasping at straws as you try to make The Eyes of Texas a symbol of hate.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

dope retort. that must be why the majority of my posts in this thread are overflowing with pos rep. i made the bombastic Nike example because if we are going to make ourselves woke *to the point of claiming that The Eyes of Texas" is so racist that the school needs to find a new song, then yeah, Nike's gotta go too. I mean it's not even fucking close. what hurts/negatively affects more people, The Eyes of Texas (a song that has zero racial lyrics and has brought people together for decades) or Nike, a mega company known for exploiting cheap labor/child labor? if we're setting the prevent that the fucking Eyes of Texas is too racist for our school then there's absolutely zero reason not to cut ties with Nike, tear down the stadium, and eliminate the football program until we can find a piece of land that no racist ever touched while employing Rooster Andrews as our official apparel maker.  fucking hilarious that you would claim that *I'm* grasping at straws as you try to make The Eyes of Texas a symbol of hate.

You should put your concerns down in writing and submit them to the university.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dope retort. that must be why the majority of my posts in this thread are overflowing with pos rep. i made the bombastic Nike example because if we are going to make ourselves woke *to the point of claiming that The Eyes of Texas" is so racist that the school needs to find a new song, then yeah, Nike's gotta go too. I mean it's not even fucking close. what hurts/negatively affects more people, The Eyes of Texas (a song that has zero racial lyrics and has brought people together for decades) or Nike, a mega company known for exploiting cheap labor/child labor? if we're setting the prevent that the fucking Eyes of Texas is too racist for our school then there's absolutely zero reason not to cut ties with Nike, tear down the stadium, and eliminate the football program until we can find a piece of land that no racist ever touched while employing Rooster Andrews as our official apparel maker.  fucking hilarious that you would claim that *I'm* grasping at straws as you try to make The Eyes of Texas a symbol of hate.

Again, you have Twitter. Fire away at the players. I'm sure they'd love to read your paragraphs. 

And congrats on all your rep. Because that matters. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Again, you have Twitter. Fire away at the players. I'm sure they'd love to read your paragraphs. 

And congrats on all your rep. Because that matters. 

i can't put together what my disagreeing with you has to do with tweeting at our players? and yeah, if you're going to tell me that you can't find a point in anything i say, then i'll go ahead and point you towards the fact that that puts you in the minority. pun intended. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i can't put together what my disagreeing with you has to do with tweeting at our players? and yeah, if you're going to tell me that you can't find a point in anything i say, then i'll go ahead and point you towards the fact that that puts you in the minority. pun intended. 

You seem very angry about this and at them. Go ahead and let them know. Maybe you'll change their minds. And oh no. I'm in the minority? Whatever will I do now? I guess I'll change my position  so a bunch of people on a website will give me meaningless points that do nothing for me. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You are defending The Eyes by pointing out that Nike has sweatshops. Think about it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the athletes have not targeted Nike as something important to them right now.  not sure why you keep bringing it up.  What is important to them now is several demands related to changes at the university.  One of them is about the Eyes.  I have not seen specifically what the issues with the song are.  

- Is it with the minstrel origins?

- lyrics could be interpreted as slave owner watching slaves?

- ???

the fact that you don't see anything racist is OK.  But that you refuse to believe that ANYONE could see anything racist in in the song ever, is sorta baffling.  But's that's the whole point and why their needs to be discussion.

Isn’t it amazing that Charlie Strong was able to come to a racist state with a racist flag,  a racist university with racist names on buildings, racist statues of racists and walk on a field named after a racist coach and sing a racist song after each game? It must have been a living hell, how did he do it? 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

as you try to make The Eyes of Texas a symbol of hate.

And I'm going to answer this specific item because it's laughable and a pathetic tactic you threw out during your shitfit.

I do not personally think the Eyes is a symbol of hate. I love the Eyes. But I'm fine with the University speaking with the players about changing it because they find its origins offensive. As I have said over and over now, the probable outcome of all this is keeping the Eyes and having a PSA or something similar before each game that talks about its history (which hardly anyone gave a shit about), acknowledging that it was a symbol of past racism, and then demonstrating how we have changed the song to be an unifying song for the University. If Texas gets rid of the song or alters it, it won't bother me. It won't change how I feel about Texas nor do I see it as giving into to anyone. It's having a conversation and addressing what these athletes care about. I see no issue with having that conversation because maybe they come out of it feeling different. Insert other media

Edited by mdmost

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The percentage of African American males with felony convictions went from 10% in 1980 to 33% in 2010. 

Then you have to account for African American males not convicted but sitting in jail cells because they can't afford the increased bail given to AA defendants.  Most people in jail haven't been convicted of a crime.  

20% of people in prison are there for drug offenses.

Of all drug arrests the last few years - more than 80% are for drug possession - fewer than 15% were for manufacture or sale of a drug.

You got a stat on that last one?  Because that is shocking to me.  But arrests is not the same as prison.  Personal use amounts of drugs is not getting someone a long prison term.

Plenty of people get arrested for a little bit of weed and then get right out.  I want to know how many people are in prison for drug offenses for mere possession.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

The fact that so many people are caping up for a shitty song is fascinating.

It’s not about the song. If we don’t make a stand now Nike sweatshops will keep making rap music with slave labor. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But the days of the university sanctioning the playing of the Eyes of Texas at athletic events are numbered. It's not if, but when.

You know what's going to happen?  African American alumni are going to sit down and tell the student athletes that have put their names on this movement that they are so proud of them for taking a stand and getting the statutes removed and buildings renamed, but the Eyes of Texas needs to stay, because the meaning of the song is not racist.  And that will be the end of that...except athletes won't be required to sing the song.  And I think there is a good chance that after those conversations happen, and after they realize that they attend a University of the 1st class whose current administration swiftly addressed their concerns and made changes that should have happened decades ago, they will sing the song louder than they ever have.            

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, US183 said:

Isn’t it amazing that Charlie Strong was able to come to a racist state with a racist flag,  a racist university with racist names on buildings, racist statues of racists and walk on a field named after a racist coach and sing a racist song after each game? It must have been a living hell, how did he do it? 

What's amazing is your vast, intimate insight into Charlie Strong's experience with racism at UT. Please do speak about that more. It's invaluable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, US183 said:

giphy.gif

$25 million....he managed

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 3shot said:

You know what's going to happen?  African American alumni are going to sit down and tell the student athletes that have put their names on this movement that they are so proud of them for taking a stand and getting the statutes removed and buildings renamed, but the Eyes of Texas needs to stay, because the meaning of the song is not racist.  And that will be the end of that...except athletes won't be required to sing the song.  And I think there is a good chance that after those conversations happen, and after they realize that they attend a University of the 1st class whose current administration swiftly addressed their concerns and made changes that should have happened decades ago, they will sing the song louder than they ever have.            

Or they'll support the students' position on the song.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I am 100% in favor of lifting the requirement that players sing The Eyes Of Texas.

I am as well but I fear (maybe justified or not) that something like this could fracture the team into groups that want to sing and those that don't.  I rather just get rid of it and have complete unity. 

22 minutes ago, US183 said:

Charlie Strong ignored a lot of things at Texas...most notably winning.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dope retort. that must be why the majority of my posts in this thread are overflowing with pos rep. i made the bombastic Nike example because if we are going to make ourselves woke *to the point of claiming that The Eyes of Texas" is so racist that the school needs to find a new song*, then yeah, Nike's gotta go too.

I mean it's not even fucking close. what hurts/negatively affects more people, The Eyes of Texas (a song that has zero racial lyrics and has brought people together for decades) or Nike, a mega company known for exploiting cheap labor/child labor? if we're setting the precedent that the fucking Eyes of Texas is too racist for our school then there's absolutely zero reason not to cut ties with Nike, tear down the stadium (one of the last stadiums to host an all-white team, named after a coach who recruited all white players for years) and eliminate the football program until we can find a piece of land that no racist ever touched while employing Rooster Andrews as our official apparel maker.  fucking hilarious that you would claim that *I'm* grasping at straws as you try to make The Eyes of Texas a symbol of hate.

We can address Nike sweat shops in a different thread. The idea that change may only happen if every issue is addressed at once is asinine. Then no change would ever happen anywhere. Imagine if the Supreme Court today said I’m sorry, we can let gay people have equal employment protections because they use an iPhone, and those are made in sweat shops in China. How can we have equal rights of everyone is still using iPhones? That is the argument you are making. Doesn’t that sound irrational? While yes, Apple should stop using sweat shops, and people should demand they stop, if they don’t, that doesn’t mean gay people need to wait for Apple to stop using sweat shops  before they can have equality in the workplace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

no one is "excusing" the wrong doings of the minstrel shows of 150 years ago, and your bombastic analogy re:the bank robbery/shooting is frankly retarded and probably a sign that i shouldn't even give you a serious response, but i guess i'll try anyway (although if my last post went over your head -which it clearly did- then i'll probably just be repeating myself). but let's try this again:

you are grouping this song in with a group of things that is does not belong to. should a black student at UT have to study in a building named after an outright racist who refused to teach blacks? nope. totally legit beef there. should an institution of higher learning such as the University of Texas have statues around campus honoring known racists/members of the Confederacy? Nope. again, that's a total no-brainer, and something that should have been changed a long time ago. Should Julius Whittier already have been recognized by UT in some meaningful way like naming part of the stadium after him? absolutely. and it makes 100% total sense that issues like these would truly bother and affect black students and student athletes at UT, to a point where we can all agree that change needs to be made.

Now then. Let's talk about The Eyes of Texas like adults (save the armed robbery/shooting analogies for the people in your echo chamber). We've already established the song has never ever ever ever EVER been divisive or hateful in its use at the University of Texas (quite the opposite), but since you are somehow  nonplussed by this fact and insistent on being triggered, let's address your point of contention:

those statues, and the names on those buildings hurt people. the people who are being honored by those statues/buildings hurt people. celebrating racists hurts people. systemic racism hurts people. singing The Eyes of Texas does not, nor has it ever hurt anyone. that's why it is absolutely 100% relevant and important to point out that 99.99% of people familiar with the song *just now* found out that it was written by a racist/performed in minstrel shows more than a century ago. That absolutely matters. The song has been bringing hundreds of thousands of people together in unity for decades, and THAT should outweigh the fact that a tiny group of people are choosing to become upset over the fact that a racist guy wrote the song a million years ago, or what's more equating that fact with building statues in honor of slave owners. they are not the same thing. here, i'll use my own analogy that's on par with yours:

I used the term "woke zealots" earlier on purpose, because with this particular request it's like they're at a buffet of Black Justice, and they've gotten to the end of the line with a big ole plate full of substantive, sizable helpings, served to them by truly emphatic and compassionate white people, only now they've said, "I want more. Is your chef white? make him give me his hat. I want the chef's hat. and because he's white and i'm black, and because this important to me, this MUST be done, otherwise you're a racist." that's what you're saying with your post- that literally because a small number of black people ask for it, that anyone who tries to to say that it's nonsensical/not helpful is "a part of the problem." that's ridiculous. 

The bolden parts are factually incorrect and have been proven incorrect in this thread. 

44 minutes ago, US183 said:

Pretty poorly by most accounts. 

Guess we gotta get rid of all Apple products on campus too

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Get rid of every Confederate statue in this country and put them in the museum called Losers and Traitors to their Country. We are Texas. I never have understood why anyone from Texas would want to glorify that sad chapter of our state's history. We have a great history of our own with the best state flag with a barrel full of heroes and greats. We are not Mississippi that needs to glom onto the pathetic Confederacy. 

Username checks out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I'm thinking the Beatles solved this years ago:

Try to see it my way
Do I have to keep on talking 'til I can't go on?
While you see it your way
Run the risk of knowing that our song may soon be gone
We can work it out
We can work it out

Think of what you're saying
You can get it wrong and still you think that it's alright
Think of what I'm saying
We can work it out and get it straight, or say good night
We can work it out
We can work it out

Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting, my friend
I have always thought that it's a crime
So, I will ask you once again
Try to see it my way

We can work it out
We can work it out

Bra-fucking-vo

• Like 2

I thought rep didn't matter to you?  Yet you're giggling and wetting your pants over your "overflowing rep".  My Lord you must be Navin Johnson, you are somebody.

• Like 1

You just can't have an opposing view of it without getting shamed.  Iv'e given up on the idea that there is much nuance on here.  Any opposing view you have against the players will be shit on here.  Even if you bring up good counter arguments the mob is waiting for you to say something against the narrative so they can show you how "woke" they are.  It's all about having the moral high ground so they don't have to take on the sins of their ancestors and put it on anyone who disagrees with them.  That being said I really don't care anymore.  They can change whatever they want and my opinion on it isn't going to matter anyway.  Still love the players and I hope they have a successful season.  Always will be a longhorn for life.  Hook Em.

I had Dr. Gordon when I was in school.  He taught Durant who he was a fan of.  He’s been around for a while.  Interesting that he’s leading this because he wasn’t very happy having athletes in his class most of the time.  I think I recall him saying it was like “babysitting children”.  That being said, he always seemed reasonable to me.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That reads like you're trying to shame those who have an opposing view than your own.

Na I was just pointing out what you guys have been doing the entire thread.  You can interpret it however you like.  Doesn't matter to me.

Just because you don't believe something doesnt make it not true for someone else...
that's a pretty insensiteve and selfish comment

que the right wing sensitive someone got their feelings hurt toughen up buttercup comments......

Unequivocal statements of “truth” are the basis of my comment.

There is a measurable number of students, alumni and faculty that think scholarship athletics is “contrary to the mission of the University...”. Should I give them deference too??

Yes, the renaming of buildings and removal of Confederate statues is LONG overdue and should be done tomorrow.

The School Song “controversy” is exaggerated and embellished bullshit that needs to be handled accordingly.

If that hurts your feelings then too fucking bad
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

You just can't have an opposing view of it without getting shamed.  Iv'e given up on the idea that there is much nuance on here.  Any opposing view you have against the players will be shit on here.  Even if you bring up good counter arguments the mob is waiting for you to say something against the narrative so they can show you how "woke" they are.  It's all about having the moral high ground so they don't have to take on the sins of their ancestors and put it on anyone who disagrees with them.  That being said I really don't care anymore.  They can change whatever they want and my opinion on it isn't going to matter anyway.  Still love the players and I hope they have a successful season.  Always will be a longhorn for life.  Hook Em.

Why would you want the moral low ground?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Why would you want the moral low ground?

I'd rather be real with my opinion and have what is perceived as the low ground than just side with the narrative for the moral high ground.  Not saying everyone who disagrees with me is doing that.  I'm sure a few believe all the players demands are perfectly reasonable.  But there is a lot of pandering and white guilt going on here.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I'd rather be real with my opinion and have what is perceived as the low ground than just side with the narrative for the moral high ground.  Not saying everyone who disagrees with me is doing that.  I'm sure a few believe all the players demands are perfectly reasonable.  But there is a lot of pandering and white guilt going on here.

Or maybe just don't be a dick

2 hours ago, US183 said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just because you don't believe something doesnt make it not true for someone else...
that's a pretty insensiteve and selfish comment

que the right wing sensitive someone got their feelings hurt toughen up buttercup comments......

Unequivocal statements of “truth” are the basis of my comment.

There is a measurable number of students, alumni and faculty that think scholarship athletics is “contrary to the mission of the University...”

So...is it therefore a “truth” that scholarship athletics at UT is a divisive issue?

Yes, the renaming of buildings and removal of Confederate statues is LONG overdue and should be done tomorrow.

The School Song “controversy” is exaggerated and embellished bullshit that needs to be handled accordingly. Reasoned discussion about how it began, and what it means as the alma mater of a world class university today should prevail.

If that hurts your feelings then too fucking bad
  • Like 2