Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, US183 said:

Isn’t it amazing that Charlie Strong was able to come to a racist state with a racist flag,  a racist university with racist names on buildings, racist statues of racists and walk on a field named after a racist coach and sing a racist song after each game? It must have been a living hell, how did he do it? 

We fired him after 3 years....

Eyes is going to be gone.  I hope we can come up with a good substitute.  

The only way it could possibly be saved is if we commissioned our three greatest Mount Rushmore players, Earl, Ricky, and Vince, to form a panel.  They could consider all the facts and decide whether it should stay or go.  That could work if our current players agreed to accept it.  Which who knows, maybe they would if those three agreed.  And if our alums agreed to accept their outcome whatever they went. 

I know for me as a white man with a Texas degree who never thought anything about race when singing the Eyes at games, after my wedding and at certain family members’ funerals, I honestly could pretty easily accept it going away if our Big 3 considered it and made a ruling. The only way it survives is if our players buy in. 

Because we can’t have a division between players and fans.  White alums singing a song our black players perceive as racist while they sit or kneel in silence. I’d rather lose it before that happened.  

• Like 8

Btw when they change the song to different lyrics no one should feel obligated to sing the new version.  You should be able to sing the old song if you want to.  If anyone calls you a racist because of that they are fucking retarded.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

This would be a fair compromise between “song gotta go” or “OMG KEEP IT TURDITIONS!!!!!” 

And if they don’t want stay and sing, they don’t have to. Because like the national anthem, it’s kinda weird. 

No the reasonable thing is to listen to them and make changes that make sense.  Changing the lyrics in this way is just immature on their part, trying to get their way.

Dealing with RLM's actions (if what is said is true), Honoring Whittier, adding to the Hall of Fame, and other reasonable things should be done.

• Like 1

They tweaked a logo change they’ve had for less than 60 day, that has never been used during NCAA events. To be fair, not a lot of “tradition” changing there.

And the players need to be educated that this would not be a university of the first class without Littlefield.  He is not honored because he was a Confederate.  He is honored for what he did for the university.

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

And the players need to be educated that this would not be a university of the first class without Littlefield.  He is not honored because he was a Confederate.  He is honored for what he did for the university.

Can you elaborate?

11 minutes ago, bullet said:

Yeah they’re their ignorant ones! Except that little confederate plaque that was previously on the fountain that specifically honored confederate soldiers because Littlefield wanted to honor them him negates your point. But hey, they are the ignorant ones, not you!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah they’re their ignorant ones! Except that little confederate plaque that was previously on the fountain that specifically honored confederate soldiers because Littlefield wanted to honor them him negates your point. But hey, they are the ignorant ones, not you!

Littlefield.jpg

I find that I'm actually more attached to the fight song ("Texas Fight") and our version of March Grandioso (with the T-E-X-A-S, TEXAS! FIGHT! additions).

When I think too much about the Eyes of Texas lyrics, they can sound a little stalker-creepy, in the same vein as the Police "Every Breath You Take".  But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Eyes is going to be gone.  I hope we can come up with a good substitute.  

The only way it could possibly be saved is if we commissioned our three greatest Mount Rushmore players, Earl, Ricky, and Vince, to form a panel.  They could consider all the facts and decide whether it should stay or go.  That could work if our current players agreed to accept it.  Which who knows, maybe they would if those three agreed.  And if our alums agreed to accept their outcome whatever they went. 

I know for me as a white man with a Texas degree who never thought anything about race when singing the Eyes at games, after my wedding and at certain family members’ funerals, I honestly could pretty easily accept it going away if our Big 3 considered it and made a ruling. The only way it survives is if our players buy in. 

Because we can’t have a division between players and fans.  White alums singing a song our black players perceive as racist while they sit or kneel in silence. I’d rather lose it before that happened.  

Yeah, how about “OU Sux”?

41 minutes ago, Xian said:

I...  don’t notice thr difference?  Like they changed the handles some? 

Shoddy ESPN reporting.  Old now new again on the left and racist squiggly handles on the right:

uva111-768x460.png

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Can you elaborate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Littlefield

Quick and dirty-Wiki-note that while Wiki points out that he definitely was an unrepentant Southerner, it doesn't mention the idea behind the statues, which was the reuniting of the North and South, not that you could tell that theme from the way it eventually got set up.

"...In 1911, Governor Oscar Branch Colquitt appointed Littlefield as a regent of the University of Texas. His largess to the school in the following nine years became legendary.

Littlefield was a politically active individual but never sought office himself. Himself a teetotaler, he opposed prohibition. He gave and bequeathed some $3 million to UT — more than any other individual during the first fifty years of the existence of the university. Littlefield's gifts preceded the larger ones which came later from numerous oil philanthropists. By virtue of his philanthropy, Littlefield's name is visibly entwined with many aspects of UT life. He believed that the UT textbooks were too Northern-focused; so in 1914, he established the "Littlefield Fund for Southern History" to amass the archival sources which the historian Eugene C. Barker told him were needed to obtain a more accurate writing of history. Many Southern-themed books in circulation at university libraries today are stamped with Littlefield's name as a result. In 1917, when Governor James E. Ferguson vetoed appropriations for UT in the state budget, Littlefield offered to fund its operations for the biennial period from his personal funds.

Littlefield paid for a prominent and well-recognized fountain on campus, the Littlefield Fountain, which was established as a war memorial. He also bankrolled the construction of one of the university's dorms, named for his wife. He stipulated that this dormitory be reserved specifically for freshman women. He commissioned statues of Confederate generals, including Robert E. Lee. These were taken down in August, 2017, by the university.[1]

200px-Robert-E-Lee-by-Leo-Lentill.jpg

Littlefield commissioned statue of General Lee, previously on display on the U.T. campus
200px-Littlefield_house_2007.jpg

The Littlefield House (2007)

He willed his residence, the Littlefield House, to the university. The structure is now used for offices and special events...."

Before some idiot says “those squiggly lines are racist? Give me a break.Woke culture run amok”

If you read the article. The school specifically said it added the squiggly lines “to mimic the serpentine walls”  in the Pavillion Gardens on campus. Of course someone pointed at the historic serpentine walls were erected to shield the public from the slaves working behind them and muffle their daily lives from the College students. 

4 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It’s very telling how angry some people get when a viewpoint they’re uncomfortable with is shared. These athletes and the entire black community at UT just want to tell you about their struggles, and they wanted to be treated as true equals in every aspect of life. The condescension and arrogance toward them by some in this fan base is incredibly disappointing.

Actually, you are the one being intolerant, condescending and arrogant.

You have trouble with us thinking some of these ideas are ridiculous, just because you don't.  (and some of the ideas are very good).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

You just can't have an opposing view of it without getting shamed.  Iv'e given up on the idea that there is much nuance on here.  Any opposing view you have against the players will be shit on here.  Even if you bring up good counter arguments the mob is waiting for you to say something against the narrative so they can show you how "woke" they are.  It's all about having the moral high ground so they don't have to take on the sins of their ancestors and put it on anyone who disagrees with them.  That being said I really don't care anymore.  They can change whatever they want and my opinion on it isn't going to matter anyway.  Still love the players and I hope they have a successful season.  Always will be a longhorn for life.  Hook Em.

Nuance!?  You're on Surlyhorns, which seems to be the ornery progeny of Shaggy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It’s very telling how angry some people get when a viewpoint they’re uncomfortable with is shared. These athletes and the entire black community at UT just want to tell you about their struggles, and they wanted to be treated as true equals in every aspect of life. The condescension and arrogance toward them by some in this fan base is incredibly disappointing.

Really?  The entire black community?  You must be under the impression they all think the same way.  Yet the ones who oppose your opinion are condescending.  Takes about 3 seconds of thinking to come up with that conclusion.

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

Btw when they change the song to different lyrics no one should feel obligated to sing the new version.  You should be able to sing the old song if you want to.  If anyone calls you a racist because of that they are fucking retarded.

When they change the song to a completely different song and you're singing EOT over it, can we call you retarded?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

When they change the song to a completely different song and you're singing EOT over it, can we call you retarded?

You could.  Just like I could call you retarded for all the dumb shit you've said.  But it won't just be me.  Plus I don't know how I would be singing "over" it.  I don't have a voice that carries over a full college marching band and 100,000 people.  

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

No one is saying you can't sing the old song. Go nuts.

11 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

You could.  Just like I could call you retarded for all the dumb shit you've said.  But it won't just be me.  Plus I don't know how I would be singing "over" it.  I don't have a voice that carries over a full college marching band and 100,000 people.  

"Singing over" doesn't mean louder than, dumbass.  But thanks for taking it literally.  And please tell me about all the dumb shit I've said.  You have 161 posts, most of which are about possibly losing the song that you can't live without.

Edited by OU Sucks

Lots of arguing. I personally can’t imagine ever again singing that song, knowing that the athletes are uncomfortable with it. I would feel embarrassed and ashamed. The Eyes of Texas is done for me. It was a fairly lame song anyway so just create a new one that everyone can get behind in unity. It will be a defining moment in history that we can all experience. Tradition is fine until it needs to be broken. It’s time to break it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

As long as white people give up theirs.

You are a sad person and you should feel bad. Your posts are redundant and tiresome. 

Try this post instead. I want to see black people, and other minorities, realize the rights and advantages that every American should possess.

Instead you go with your same banal posts about white people and removing “privilege” as if it is a tangible item to be repossessed. 

Thank you for your commitment to being a basic clod. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve been lurking a long time.  Had an account on the first Shag way back when.  Didn’t bother with the next version after Patterson got asshurt over criticism from the Shag. Been watching this one a long time.  

First, I agree with the person who wants to neg Stone Oak for his avatar being such a tease.  Ever wonder how many times Woody Harrelson flubbed his lines so they could reshoot that scene?

TexasMan has an avatar that covers the crime of Stone Oak pretty well. 

All of this discussion is disappointing. People tearing each other apart.  People being damned clueless for decades about who these people were. Did you really not know about Hogg?   Prather?  Littlefield?  Better not read up on Simkins then.  

I’m glad the players are making requests. I’m sad that they are getting used for their position, just like they do in athletics.  These guys didn’t sit around during shelter-in-place and research all of this.  Someone got in there ear and said “Hey man, we have this list.  If you will Tweet it and include The Eyes, it will really take off.  You are a big deal. Use your platform.”

Some of the players have been getting told since 7th grade that they are the best thing since peanut butter.  They are used to having people cater to them.  It’s how they ended up in the 40 acres.  They had the red or orange carpet rolled out for them. 

Some student orgs or BLM are doing the same thing. Kissing their asses and telling them they are special and feeding them a list to put on social media (when they aren’t punching cars, apparently). They are getting used. Not like slavery, but still a “hey, you are a black guy that can do things I can’t do, I need you to do this for me.  For free.”  I hope they get good advice.  We see juniors across college football get bad advice every year and declare for the draft and fall flat.  I hope these guys are getting good advice.  It will follow them if this doesn’t work and they transfer. 

The other disappointment with this is that they suck at negotiating.  They “request” a whole list of things, but they don’t counter with much.  They don’t really put anything on the line. 

Not walking some recruits around?  Ok. Herman will find a white player to do it or get some hottie to do it.  

Not glad-handing alums and donors and kissing babies?  Ok.  It’s weird to me anyway that people fawn over 18-22 year old dudes.  Thinking about how many teenagers Burton and Ketch and that pube chin aggy have called and texted and tweeted at over the years is creepy anyway. 

Players, bring something substantial to the table.  Negotiate better.  No team meetings, or I stay in my dorm or apartment the night before home games and don’t go to the hotel with the team like a bunch of kids on a sleepover, or something.  Don’t get yourself kicked off the team or demoted, but bring something to the table.  

Also, I’m considering the possibility that MrBig is the username for that muskrat hairpiece wearing loser FCB.  Think about it. 

Edited by W0244 Jester
  • Fuck You 2

21 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

"Singing over" doesn't mean louder than, dumbass.  But thanks for taking it literally.  And please tell me about all the dumb shit I've said.  You have 161 posts, most of which are about possibly losing the song that you can't live without.

Triggered. How about the fact that you shame other people for having an opposing view than yours?  You claim that because someone doesn't support the players demands means they don't support the team.  That's fucking retarded.  You can have your mom come pick you up now.  I'm almost finished with her.

Edited by Apex73

12 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Holy shit, what the fuck are you talking about??  You were the one saying BLM should be protesting black on black violence.  I pointed out how ridiculous that was based on their focus being on police brutality, blacks being treated differently, and there being virtually no difference between black on black and white on white violence, and yet I'm the smart ass?  I literally quoted FBI stats...I didn't "jack" with them.

Oh but of course there is a huge difference between white on black violence and black on black violence. Which is the point. To be clear, there are no protests when the vast majority of black lives are ended with violence.

Black Lives Matter only when promoting the bullshit that white cops are hunting black men. It is a progressive myth, that uses race baiting tactics.  You playing the fool to try and discredit the inconvenient truth, is either you being smart or being dumber than a rock. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Gosh, golly, gee.

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

You are a sad person and you should feel bad. Your posts are redundant and tiresome. 

Try this post instead. I want to see black people, and other minorities, realize the rights and advantages that every American should possess.

Instead you go with your same banal posts about white people and removing “privilege” as if it is a tangible item to be repossessed. 

Thank you for your commitment to being a basic clod. 

Then stop standing in the way when they assert their desire to realize the rights and advantages every American should posses.

12 minutes ago, W0244 Jester said:

I’ve been lurking a long time.  Had an account on the first Shag way back when.  Didn’t bother with the next version after Patterson got asshurt over criticism from the Shag. Been watching this one a long time.  

First, I agree with the person who wants to neg Stone Oak for his avatar being such a tease.  Ever wonder how many times Woody Harrelson flubbed his lines so they could reshoot that scene?

TexasMan has an avatar that covers the crime of Stone Oak pretty well. 

All of this discussion is disappointing. People tearing each other apart.  People being damned clueless for decades about who these people were. Did you really not know about Hogg?   Prather?  Littlefield?  Better not read up on Simkins then.  

I’m glad the players are making requests. I’m sad that they are getting used for their position, just like they do in athletics.  These guys didn’t sit around during shelter-in-place and research all of this.  Someone got in there ear and said “Hey man, we have this list.  If you will Tweet it and include The Eyes, it will really take off.  You are a big deal. Use your platform.”

Some of the players have been getting told since 7th grade that they are the best thing since peanut butter.  They are used to having people cater to them.  It’s how they ended up in the 40 acres.  They had the red or orange carpet rolled out for them. 

Some student orgs or BLM are doing the same thing. Kissing their asses and telling them they are special and feeding them a list to put on social media (when they aren’t punching cars, apparently). They are getting used. Not like slavery, but still a “hey, you are a black guy that can do things I can’t do, I need you to do this for me.  For free.”  I hope they get good advice.  We see juniors across college football get bad advice every year and declare for the draft and fall flat.  I hope these guys are getting good advice.  It will follow them if this doesn’t work and they transfer. 

The other disappointment with this is that they suck at negotiating.  They “request” a whole list of things, but they don’t counter with much.  They don’t really put anything on the line. 

Not walking some recruits around?  Ok. Herman will find a white player to do it or get some hottie to do it.  

Not glad-handing alums and donors and kissing babies?  Ok.  It’s weird to me anyway that people fawn over 18-22 year old dudes.  Thinking about how many teenagers Burton and Ketch and that pube chin aggy have called and texted and tweeted at over the years is creepy anyway. 

Players, bring something substantial to the table.  Negotiate better.  No team meetings, or I stay in my dorm or apartment the night before home games and don’t go to the hotel with the team like a bunch of kids on a sleepover, or something.  Don’t get yourself kicked off the team or demoted, but bring something to the table.  

Also, I’m considering the possibility that MrBig is the username for that muskrat hairpiece wearing loser FCB.  Think about it. 

I mean, a black recruit is probably going to see some red flags with a program where black players are implicitly telling them not to avoid the place. I think you're downplaying that. The donor thing is weird but it does exist, and that is ultimately the language the AD speaks. $$$.

And in general you're speculating on how this came about. Not accusing you of doing so but it could be read as trying to degrade the credibility of the messengers instead of the message.

26 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Triggered. How about the fact that you shame other people for having an opposing view than yours?  You claim that because someone doesn't support the players demands means they don't support the team.  That's fucking retarded.  You can have your mom come pick you up now.  I'm almost finished with her.

Ooh, a mom joke.  My mom would've beat the shit outta you with your dumbass takes.  I didn't say that someone "someone doesn't support the players demands means they don't support the team", actually.  I said "You're not supporting the football/basketball team if you don't support them as people" in the context of a poster pretty much saying their opinions didn't matter since they are in the minority.  In other words, if the players are saying this is a big deal to them, take them for their word instead of downplaying their opinions or acting like they're invalid if they learned of the history of EOT just now.  Big difference, but nice work taking it out of context and twisting it to imply I said everyone needed to cave in to all the players' demands.

Edited by OU Sucks

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Then stop standing in the way when they assert their desire to realize the rights and advantages every American should posses.

asserting their desire by being held to lower standards?  they’re capable human beings the same as anyone else.  or do you find them inferior?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, a black recruit is probably going to see some red flags with a program where black players are implicitly telling them not to avoid the place. I think you're downplaying that. The donor thing is weird but it does exist, and that is ultimately the language the AD speaks. $$$.

And in general you're speculating on how this came about. Not accusing you of doing so but it could be read as trying to degrade the credibility of the messengers instead of the message.

We know the list of requests had already been prepped by student orgs.  The student orgs have said as much.  

Yeah, I’m speculating on the rest.  This is an unprecedented development on a freaking college football message board.  Nobody has ever speculated on Surly in the history of ever.  Certainly not on this thread.  

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

asserting their desire by being held to lower standards?  they’re capable human beings the same as anyone else.  or do you find them inferior?

They want nothing of the sort. They want to be treated fairly. That means ending the privileges and special treatment long afforded white people in this country.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, bullet said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Littlefield

Quick and dirty-Wiki-note that while Wiki points out that he definitely was an unrepentant Southerner, it doesn't mention the idea behind the statues, which was the reuniting of the North and South, not that you could tell that theme from the way it eventually got set up.

"...In 1911, Governor Oscar Branch Colquitt appointed Littlefield as a regent of the University of Texas. His largess to the school in the following nine years became legendary.

Littlefield was a politically active individual but never sought office himself. Himself a teetotaler, he opposed prohibition. He gave and bequeathed some $3 million to UT — more than any other individual during the first fifty years of the existence of the university. Littlefield's gifts preceded the larger ones which came later from numerous oil philanthropists. By virtue of his philanthropy, Littlefield's name is visibly entwined with many aspects of UT life. He believed that the UT textbooks were too Northern-focused; so in 1914, he established the "Littlefield Fund for Southern History" to amass the archival sources which the historian Eugene C. Barker told him were needed to obtain a more accurate writing of history. Many Southern-themed books in circulation at university libraries today are stamped with Littlefield's name as a result. In 1917, when Governor James E. Ferguson vetoed appropriations for UT in the state budget, Littlefield offered to fund its operations for the biennial period from his personal funds.

Littlefield paid for a prominent and well-recognized fountain on campus, the Littlefield Fountain, which was established as a war memorial. He also bankrolled the construction of one of the university's dorms, named for his wife. He stipulated that this dormitory be reserved specifically for freshman women. He commissioned statues of Confederate generals, including Robert E. Lee. These were taken down in August, 2017, by the university.[1]

200px-Robert-E-Lee-by-Leo-Lentill.jpg

Littlefield commissioned statue of General Lee, previously on display on the U.T. campus
200px-Littlefield_house_2007.jpg

The Littlefield House (2007)

He willed his residence, the Littlefield House, to the university. The structure is now used for offices and special events...."

Did you leave out the part about him being a slave owner prior to his military service on purpose or by accident? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They want nothing of the sort. They want to be treated fairly. That means ending the privileges and special treatment long afforded white people in this country.

to what exactly are you referring?  you’re being pretty vague. 

57 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Ooh, a mom joke.  My mom would've beat the shit outta you with your dumbass takes.  I didn't say that someone "someone doesn't support the players demands means they don't support the team", actually.  I said "You're not supporting the football/basketball team if you don't support them as people" in the context of a poster pretty much saying their opinions didn't matter since they are in the minority.  In other words, if the players are saying this is a big deal to them, take them for their word instead of downplaying their opinions or acting like they're invalid if they learned of the history of EOT just now.  Big difference, but nice work taking it out of context and twisting it to imply I said everyone needed to cave in to all the players' demands.

Lol. She said you'd say that.  I know what the context was.  No one said they didn't fucking support them as people.  That is basically what your'e saying.  Anyone who has an opinion different than that according to you doesn't support them.  Which is the dumbest fucking thing Ive ever heard.  Yea I do take their word for it as in I believe they believe it is offensive.  But that's the deal with topics like these.  It's subjective.  And if someone has a subjective opinion other than the one the players have according to you they don't support the team.  Or if someone points out they are in the minority that thinks that way that they also don't support them as people.  You put your own standards  on how someone looks at someone personally based of a subjective opinion discussion.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's such a tired and worthless argument troll.  Every group has privileges in different ways.  What special treatment?  You must be speaking for yourself or rich people.

1 minute ago, futureman said:

to what exactly are you referring?  you’re being pretty vague. 

Non-merit based admissions and employment. The benefit of the doubt from law enforcement. The benefit of the doubt from business owners. The benefit of the doubt from financial institutions. 

2 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

That's such a tired and worthless argument troll.  Every group has privileges in different ways.  What special treatment?  You must be speaking for yourself or rich people.

Is this where you seriously try to argue that being white in America doesn't come with privileges not afforded minorities?

6 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I am as well but I fear (maybe justified or not) that something like this could fracture the team into groups that want to sing and those that don't.  I rather just get rid of it and have complete unity. 

Gotdammit, will people stop treating my post as if it’s serious.