Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, US183 said:

OB is full of aggrieved middle aged white guys.

That’s a racist statement. But I hope that all of the players demands are met and then some. I will also enjoy seeing the whole upper deck empty. 

Cutting edge sarcasm that appears  . . . to be copied and pasted from somewhere else?

14 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

I agree with your positive sentiments about the song. I was lucky enough to be in the Rose Bowl when Vince Young put us in the endzone.  I have also read that the team is forced to do it and I'd like to know more about that.  are aIn my 49 years as a season ticket holder there have always been players that don't sing The Eyes. They didn't stop me from singing it and I didn't care that they didn't sing it. Maybe they hate singing, maybe they were too tired to run down to in front of the band, maybe they needed to get to the locker room to piss or whatever, maybe they sat on the bench and didn't feel like singing it. 

I'm not giving much credence to the idea that they are forced to sing it and thus my enthusiasm toward the song is not as destroyed as yours, you having compared it to finding out Santa wasn't real. 

I might compare it to finding out the tooth fairy wasn't real since I never believed in her anyway. 

YOU BASTARD, you're a liar!  Who else would be leaving money under my pillow now that my teeth are falling out?

my pops would always tell me "i didnt pay 19 dollars for these bad boys just to leave before the game ended" and thus started my/his personal tradition of staying until The Eyes of Texas...I never had a problem with it but if my brethren does then their fight is my fight and its hasta luego. Good thing I dont have to make this decision though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Half the endowment?  Lulz. 

Listening to Brian Jones right now on The Ticket. Love this guy and totally agree with his take on removal of statues and names on buildings, but leaving The Eyes alone, turning it into something good. 

Siap... catching up

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap... catching up

Honestly, I agree with BJ a lot of the time and disagree with him a lot, but I respect that he never pulls punches and feels free to call it like he sees it. When he wore #60, it never crossed my mind that he was "black" or "the first black player..." I didn't think he deserved to wear the number because he didn't earn the privilege on the field, but I didn't consider that to be his fault. Now Derrick Johnson: I would have loved to have seen him wear #60 for his final 3 seasons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

What? We are compelled to have a certain school song or we hate freedom? What? Why do we have to do something for freedom? Doesn't that seem contradictory?

Likewise I don't see why people should be forced to have comments on their own webpage for freedom.

You seem big on ordering everybody around for somebody who loves freedom.

I guess I figured people have a choice as to what kinds of things they wanted to do. But I guess freedom dictates otherwise?

Who in the thread says anyone should be forced to sing anything?  The National Inquisition says that no one shall sing things they deem immoral. 

20 hours ago, bullet said:

Maybe he thinks Black people are more intelligent on average than white liberals.

He can infer which is most likely to throw out accusations of racism. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Fortunately I think Taps is in the clear. The Union Army is responsible for that one, though obviously it is much older I think.

The Rebs might have appropriated it though.

Part of Battle Hymn of the Republic was composed in the ante-bellum South.  And white people like so count on it being added to the Index Prohibum soon.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Must plead ignorance here, I'se gwine?

I understand the exaggeration but what is that supposed to be?

“I’se gwine” is an exaggerated form of the term “I’m going” used to characterize the way blacks are perceived to have spoken by non-blacks.

This phrase was used in the dialogue spoken immediately before The Eyes was initially presented for the first time.

“I’se gwine” is an exaggerated form of the term “I’m going” used to characterize the way blacks are perceived to have spoken by non-blacks.
This phrase was used in the dialogue spoken immediately before The Eyes was initially presented for the first time.

...by a guy in a A&M sweater...

You know that liberal and diverse school that was our rival and was fully integrated in 1903.

22 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

...by a guy in a A&M sweater...

You know that liberal and diverse school that was our rival and was fully integrated in 1903.

There are photos in many Cactus yearbooks (prior to black students attending A&M) where Texas student organizations have presented black people wearing A&M attire in a mocking fashion. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Much bigger fan of Texas Fight. To me the two songs aren’t comparable. I love Texas Fight. One of the best fight songs out there. I get chills and boners when that song comes on. Kinda like when I come on your mom. 

Texas fight is a sped up taps. 
As I said earlier in this thread, taps was not only used by the confederate army, but was based off of Scott’s tatto. The same Scott who forcibly removed a number of Indian tribes.  

if the Eyes has a racist background, than by that logic Texas fight isn’t any better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Taps pre-dates the Civil War and was not written by/for the confederacy.  I'm not sure your point.  Its like saying we need to burn our chunky knit shawl collar pull-over sweaters because Confederate soldiers wore wool.   

See my post right above. It’s based off music written by a known butcher who forcibly removed numerous Indian tribes. 

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

See my post right above. It’s based off music written by a known butcher who forcibly removed numerous Indian tribes. 

I'm in. Which 3 block stretch do we get? I vote for the SoCo hill. I also say we peacefully protest on Guadalupe & 16th, burn the Pit down and bring in some quality indian food. 

Edited by Goodman

49 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I tried every variation I could think of as far as so called "ebonics" go and came up blank.  Thanks

No it wasn’t. You (or someone) made that shit up

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Honestly, I agree with BJ a lot of the time and disagree with him a lot, but I respect that he never pulls punches and feels free to call it like he sees it. When he wore #60, it never crossed my mind that he was "black" or "the first black player..." I didn't think he deserved to wear the number because he didn't earn the privilege on the field, but I didn't consider that to be his fault. Now Derrick Johnson: I would have loved to have seen him wear #60 for his final 3 seasons.

He’s the last LB we had worthy of that number. Didn’t he wear it for one game (maybe against OU)?

We are seeing the effects of a fight for equality everywhere from NASCAR to NCAAF and all in between. I can’t speak to what is going on with the players but what I do see is passion. That’s great. There is also a fucking pandemic that isn’t going anywhere. I certainly would love for there to be sports (we all would—I think) but not at the risk of lives. They can’t live in a bubble for the whole of a season. 

having said all of that (always have been and always will be supportive of the players first and foremost) what caused the reaction today (with the tweet)? Does anyone know? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We are seeing the effects of a fight for equality everywhere from NASCAR to NCAAF and all in between. I can’t speak to what is going on with the players but what I do see is passion. That’s great. There is also a fucking pandemic that isn’t going anywhere. I certainly would love for there to be sports (we all would—I think) but not at the risk of lives. They can’t live in a bubble for the whole of a season. 

having said all of that (always have been and always will be supportive of the players first and foremost) what caused the reaction today (with the tweet)? Does anyone know? 

Could be this. Apparently the players met with the interim prez and CDC in the bubble. 

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Would you give up The Eyes of Texas permanently for a National Championship this year? 

It's not about The Eyes, that is not the only issue here. Some of the athletes want their proposal accepted in full. Some do not. 

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Could be this. Apparently the players met with the interim prez and CDC in the bubble. 

Thanks. I read that. Was it just because negotiations are going on OR because of COVID or both? I am willing to give up the song. As I would imagine a lot of us would. What I am concerned about mostly is understanding what negotiations are about? Having requests/demands doesn’t mean that you get 100% of what you want. Even then there is blowback to what you get. Having said nothing (I mean it), if players want to go and take this historic time to make changes they should do so. In the 1960s, quite a few  people gave in (After protesting a lot with all kinds of movements). They did. Their reasons are their own. I’m just wondering today if it was because they were met with “no” (which I doubt) to all requests/demands or if was having to do with virus stuff? It could be both. 

16 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The Eyes?  Hell son I'd give up my other leg for a National Championship this year.

Good, just making sure I wasn't the only one lol.

If we do give up The Eyes, hopefully if it will swing recruiting momentum back in our favor and drive top recruits here over Alabama and Clemson. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

If we do give up The Eyes, hopefully if it will swing recruiting momentum back in our favor and drive top recruits here over Alabama and Clemson. 

It will.  Doing the right thing, for the right reasons with a clear heart resolves many things.  People want to be accepted, to be loved and to be respected.  Why would anyone go elsewhere if there's a shining example of that very thing.

Edited by SHOOTER12

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Oh also, fuck you Chip Brown you pompous, short, fugly, useless pile of canon fodder, smug, dipshit, fucktard, fuckface, asshat, socially awkward weirdo! 

I wish you hadn't written that. Triggered: 

Greta-2.gif

Old-Design-Shop-Sweet-Niece-Birthday-1.j

FCB-SIGN-LANGUAGE.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I hate to borrow a movie quote but it seems appropriate given what is happening:

Movement. Hence the name. Movement. Moves a certain distance and then it stops. A revolution gets its name by always coming back in your face. (Poor paraphrasing I know).

2:40 would be the point. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

If Alabama and Clemson are contending for championships every year, like they have been, they will still get top recruits. Let’s not kid ourselves 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EuroHorn said:

If Alabama and Clemson are contending for championships every year, like they have been, they will still get top recruits. Let’s not kid ourselves 

The top players want to play for colleges to get into the NFL. It shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. The BMDs for UT and a few fans would rather it just be some sport where kids just come here for academics and also play. 

4 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Agree but hopefully by being seen as more progressive we can offset the 7-5 seasons and poor NFL draft showings. 

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The top players want to play for colleges to get into the NFL. It shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. The BMDs for UT and a few fans would rather it just be some sport where kids just come here for academics and also play. 

Agreed on getting to the nfl.  And Alabama and Clemson were both top 5 for nfl draft picks. 

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Juwan Mitchell doesn't feel comfortable representing the University of Texas. His post presumably made after the team meeting with CDC and Hartzell.

But, gotta give him credit, he was on to this "Eyes of Texas" issue in November. 😉

Edited by LonghornSean

Just now, EuroHorn said:

Agreed on getting to the nfl.  And Alabama and Clemson were both top 5 for nfl draft picks. 

It’s coaching to a great degree. Position coaches (even colleges that haven’t won big in a while/ TCU is a prime example get plenty drafted). Thanks. Last year watching the draft, I mentioned the same. Why would you put yourself through all this (most players not all) if you didn’t want a shot at the show? And the last decade, we haven’t been good enough to get our guys there. 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sounds like the Consensus is most of us are happy to jettison the Eyes if it ultimately helps us get back to winning games. 

I would adopt the ISIS alma mater if it brought us a national championship.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I wasn’t aware The Eyes was specifically a minstrel song. Oh, it’s not, and you’re just posting idiots from a few generations ago?  Yeah, thanks fuckface. 

How is it not? The song parody was requested by program director of the Varsity Minstrel Show and it was debuted at a minstrel show.