Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Well the Pres and the AD better try - because this is where at least some of the players are starting from.

There is one element that we do miss with these excited utterances that people decide to put on Twitter. Since they are so emotionally charged a little time and interpersonal communication can quickly change one’s viewpoint. It’s definitely very important everyone involved sit down in person and talk through these issues. To educate, listen and offer a perspective that someone may not be aware of. For those defending the song as well they need to hear out why some players are so opposed to singing it now. But I am pretty damn sure a tweet never changed anyone’s opinion or helped push anything to a rational conclusion. 

• Like 4

Just now, dcar00 said:

good luck with that.  the teenage digital hyperventilating will go into overdrive.

It's nice to want things but sometimes you're wrong and you don't always get what you want. In the process of telling them no I would like someone to at least try to teach them the real history. If they have a gripe it's actually with the University hosting a minstrel show and not the origins of the song itself.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

It's nice to want things but sometimes you're wrong and you don't always get what you want. In the process of telling them no I would like someone to at least try to teach them the real history. If they have a gripe it's actually with the University hosting a minstrel show and not the origins of the song itself.  

real history(some of it ugly) is not taught at a college anymore.  you should see some of the course names these days.  its hysterical.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Imagine being Yale right now. The school was named after a slave trader. 

Old Elihu once took it upon himself to hang a servant for absconding with a horse.

Plus he was fired from a position or two for corruption & embezzlement.

14 hours ago, Bruno Sardine said:

I'm sorry for being lazy, but just making sure someone has brought up "Glory, Glory."

Glory, glory to old Georgia!
G-E-O-R-G-I-A

To what "old Georgia" are they nostalgically referring? 

The Vince Dooley days. 

It's probably been mentioned in here, so apologies if so, but I have to point something out- many of the same athletes at UT who want to get rid of The Eyes because of its racist origins also use the N word about a thousand times a day, and that word is waaaaaay more rooted in racism and pain and oppression slavery than The Eyes is. only that's now how they use that word, so it's ok. they will continue to use the word, because as long as they can remember it's been a neutral term, if not term of affection. ipso facto there's no need to stop using it. well, that's what we call a double standard, and i wonder how many of them have considered that. 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I understand and support the player’s requests. 
Part of my challenge in this is I actually don’t really like this team as it’s currently composed as I think they’re by and large a bunch of soft, head-cases. 
I am struggling not conflating the players valid concerns with my desire to have pretty much the entire team rebooted. 

I do think CDC playing booster/$ card if that’s true was bad mistake. Herman and Texas went from leaders on the issue of BLM to stepping on their dicks very quickly. 
Someone needs to be grab control. 

Not really sure how you can struggle to like the players.  Guys like Sam Ehlinger, Joseph Ossai, Keondre Coburn, and RoJo are incredible athletes and people. Most of this team is made up of incredible people with great stories who are easy to root for. I’d struggle not to root for them. It’s the coaching that’s the problem. Their massive incompetence is what’s caused locker room issues, poor morale, low buy-in, and made the players look bad or soft. This team is by far the most talented team we’ve had since Colt’s last year, and wanting a reboot of this roster is insanity. 

Just go back and watch the Utah game. When the coaches just get out of the way and let guys play, this is a team that cares about winning and plays their asses off that anyone should be able to root for. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not really sure how you can struggle to like the players.  Guys like Sam Ehlinger, Joseph Ossai, Keondre Coburn, and RoJo are incredible athletes and people. Most of this team is made up of incredible people with great stories who are easy to root for. I’d struggle not to root for them. It’s the coaching that’s the problem. Their massive incompetence is what’s caused locker room issues, poor morale, low buy-in, and made the players look bad or soft. This team is by far the most talented team we’ve had since Colt’s last year, and wanting a reboot of this roster is insanity. 

Just go back and watch the Utah game. When the coaches just get out of the way and let guys play, this is a team that cares about winning and plays their asses off that anyone should be able to root for. 

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter good sir

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

It's probably been mentioned in here, so apologies if so, but I have to point something out- many of the same athletes at UT who want to get rid of The Eyes because of its racist origins also use the N word about a thousand times a day, and that word is waaaaaay more rooted in racism and pain and oppression slavery than The Eyes is. only that's now how they use that word, so it's ok. they will continue to use the word, because as long as they can remember it's been a neutral term, if not term of affection. ipso facto there's no need to stop using it. well, that's what we call a double standard, and i wonder how many of them have considered that. 

They can use it all they want. It's their word now. Not yours. You don't get to use it anymore.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Yep, it definitely doesn’t help their cause; however, I’m fairly confident it’s on borrowed time. 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They can use it all they want. It's their word now. Not yours. You don't get to use it anymore.

You never fail to disappoint. If you are not a bot, I commend your persistence for being so woke. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t see how this ends well.

Admin and CDC view this as a discussion/negotiation. The players view it as a list of demands. Not requests or suggestions.

Any attempt to barter or seek compromise will be viewed as a continuation of the unacceptable status quo.

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I understand and support the player’s requests. 
Part of my challenge in this is I actually don’t really like this team as it’s currently composed as I think they’re by and large a bunch of soft, head-cases. 
I am struggling not conflating the players valid concerns with my desire to have pretty much the entire team rebooted. 

Into the 1960s the some racist ass shows were not only happening but being celebrated at the University.   Black students saw it directly.  Their kids came to school 20 years later and had that history fresh in their minds.  Then their kids not only get to hear about it from family but witness it being widespread with camera phones.   This isn't that long ago.   There are grandfathers out there that were the butt of this abuse.   

I have no fucking idea the torment and strength required to have this conversation with your kid.   Or to listen to it from your parent.  

This team is fine.  They are actually rebuilding and making progress.  There are issues but this isn't the same hapless team that lost to Arkansas with less than 50 yards of offense.  I am looking forward to seeing a defense that isn't built around stopping offenses from 1997 era.  

38 minutes ago, JerryHubbard said:

Admin and CDC view this as a discussion/negotiation. The players view it as a list of demands. Not requests or suggestions.

Any attempt to barter or seek compromise will be viewed as a continuation of the unacceptable status quo.

Agreed, happens when one side of a conflict is leaderless. 

When this list was posted Rod Babers had a great observation. Said it could be healthy if the coaches had a heads up. If the players did not have enough respect to give the staff a heads up it was a very bad sign...

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

My thoughts as well.

Add to that the “saggin pants” trend.  Ties back to the slavery days and was a message that an unruly slave had been “broken”.   “Broken” slaves had been sodomized by the plantation owner or associates as punishment for their aggressive misdeeds.

Reasoning via  analogies that should hit home may not have any effect though, we are talking about 18-21 year olds on a mission.   At that age I fought as hard for a lot less & was often blind and deaf to any opinion other than my own.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, JerryHubbard said:

If some of them are taking that stance, then they need to realize that they will be alienating a lot of their well-wishers. 
That’s not a very good look on their part, especially since some of those demands are based on misinformation or a lack thereof.

I think it would be really powerful for TV and radio to stop using songs that contain the N word. I don't mean censoring the word, I mean not playing the song or using it for cuts if it contains that word. It's a disgusting, shameful word that no one should use. Herman should ban its use in the locker room and weight room too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Into the 1960s the some racist ass shows were not only happening but being celebrated at the University.   Black students saw it directly.  Their kids came to school 20 years later and had that history fresh in their minds.  Then their kids not only get to hear about it from family but witness it being widespread with camera phones.   This isn't that long ago.   There are grandfathers out there that were the butt of this abuse.   

I have no fucking idea the torment and strength required to have this conversation with your kid.   Or to listen to it from your parent.  

This team is fine.  They are actually rebuilding and making progress.  There are issues but this isn't the same hapless team that lost to Arkansas with less than 50 yards of offense.  I am looking forward to seeing a defense that isn't built around stopping offenses from 1997 era.  

That’s great. I fully support their asks and agree UT should make the changes around bldg names, statues, “The Eyes” etc

My current dislike for program/team/coaches has zero to do with their asks. I think Herman is stubborn and inflexible, many players don’t play fundamental football and In turn they make stupid mistakes. Overall team feels like a consistent 7-8 win team for perpetuity. I admit I’m in a funk with regards to the overall state of UT Football. 

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

White people be angry at not being able to use the n-word.

Lulz.

Kind of ironic ain't it, cause unfortunately I'm sure it was white people who coined the word.  I'd be happy never to hear it again, except for in Blazing Saddles of course. They could mute it every time a white guy says it if need be. If Gone With The Wind  will come with some sort of denouncement from now on, Blazing Saddles is headed for the furnace.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

31 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Kind of ironic ain't it, cause unfortunately I'm sure it was white people who coined the word.  I'd be happy never to hear it again, except for in Blazing Saddles of course. They could mute it every time a white guy says it if need be. If Gone With The Wind  will come with some sort of denouncement from now on, Blazing Saddles is headed for the furnace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

CANCEL SOULJA BOY

Soulja Boy (Robert E Lee) off in this oh
Watch me crank it (oppress black people), watch me roll (genocide)
Watch me crank dat (oppress), Soulja Boy (Robert E Lee)
Then Superman dat oh…(rape women of color)

If you'd like to put together a petition to stop 'Soulja Boy' from being played at DKR  I feel like there are quite a few posters here that would sign.

• Like 1