Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They can use it all they want. It's their word now. Not yours. You don't get to use it anymore.

Uhh, that's not really how language works.  You don't get to decide or control who says what.  It's not possible.  I doubt if all the words that came out of your shit mouth were able to be heard that you would have a job on Monday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Rarely are the people who speak the loudest and with the most confidence the ones most educated on a subject. The charity I work with works in conjunction with LHF in Dallas does a lot of great things. We invest in college exam prep courses for inner city students and teach life skill classes on finances and a wide range of other topics. The fact that this is a demand speaks volumes about who wrote these demands and their complete ignorance about what exists today. 

Unfortunately some of the social media platforms just allow for the constant barrage of the most vocal to be heard even if they are completely unaware of the facts. There is no real rational discussion anymore. That has been replaced with people thinking making quips and mic drop, snarky statements are a way to get your point across. Just read on this thread certain individuals coming in with one-liners about white privilege who offer little, if anything to the discussion. It’s why we should never make big, sweeping decisions based on this emotionally charged banter. It will not lead to anything constructive. 

First of all, thank you for your charity work-it sounds like you are making a difference. Sadly, actual achievements like yours are not as valued today as virtue-signaling bullshit. Today's preferred behavior is loudly proclaiming your virtue with empty, meaningless gestures that garner media attention, (let's paint big words on streets, remove statues of people who lived a century ago and ban fight songs-that will help!!!!) rather than actually accomplishing something like teaching STEM to disadvantaged youth, diverting money to black colleges, providing guidance through Big Brother programs, working with the youth sports programs run by the Police Athletic League, or promoting black businesses. Things like that actually take time and effort, which is beyond the ability to comprehend by many woke posters here.

OK-COOL-HOOK-EM.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Veerbone said:

Add to that the “saggin pants” trend.  Ties back to the slavery days and was a message that an unruly slave had been “broken”.   “Broken” slaves had been sodomized by the plantation owner or associates as punishment for their aggressive misdeeds.

I knew it! Guys with sagging pants like it in the butt. 

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Not only a heads up, but a man-to-man, face-to-face meeting with the HFBC, AD, etc. If these kids want to be respected as adults, then act like adults. Don’t blindside the people who are giving you the opportunity of a lifetime with demands that they may have limited power to control, then essentially demand  capitulation else you’ll undermine the program. If the people in charge patronize you, then - and only then - maybe turn up the heat.

Today’s athletes are more pampered than ever, yet some are determined to be more offended than ever. And by pampered, I’m including the fact that very few of them could gain acceptance to The University of Texas on academics alone. Two of our kids competed in athletics at colleges a level below UT, and they or their teammate friends risked their health every bit as much as Texas athletes. I can promise you, not a single one of them had it as good as the athletes at Texas.

I’m all for an honest and open adult discussion in an attempt to address legitimate concerns, but if my kids did this to their adult leaders, I’d go fucking ballistic on them. My wife and I told our youngest, non-athlete SJW daughter that she could protest at college if she wanted to, but she had better keep it respectful and have a 4.0 GPA if she wanted us to keep footing the bill.

Yeah, yeah, I’m an asshole. So much so that I spent two hours earlier today Skyping and playing games with my SJW daughter who was more than happy to do so. My wife and I have great relationships with all four of our kids, but they were raised right.

Rant over. Feel free to neg rep me for it. Like I give a damn. 

Not neg worthy. It's your house.

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Two of our kids competed in athletics at colleges a level below UT, and they or their teammate friends risked their health every bit as much as Texas athletes. I can promise you, not a single one of them had it as good as the athletes at Texas.

Even though they risk their health every bit as much, the boxers in the first match of a card make way less than those in the main event. Wonder why that is?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Fortunately statues are not really how we record history anymore. It is not like we would put a statue of Santa Anna on campus to remember significant people in Texas History.

That would mean you have an unqualified pride in the uniqueness of Texas.  That you are willing to remind people that Texas history includes non-Americans.

Bet it never even gets discussed. 

5 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Even though they risk their health every bit as much, the boxers in the first match of a card make way less than those in the main event. Wonder why that is?

My point is that the UT coaches, administration, and boosters bend over backwards to create the best possible environment for the athletes. Then some - in true first-world problem fashion - have to find some imaginary offense over a song that was never intended to offend anyone (even the president of The University). Then, some try to portray them as reluctant martyrs who risk their lives for our entertainment because this is the only way out of a miserable, oppressed existence.

And to answer your question, it’s because they love the game and whatever adulation they get by playing it in front of a crowd.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I think it’s actually 99.999999994%

Some people sound like they think UF dropping a 20-something year old CHEER is equivalent to UT dropping a 100-something year old school song. Mind bottling.

Regarding the names of buildings and statues, I don’t really care if they rename, remove, or replace those that represent people who didn’t contribute significantly to this great university OR those who were significant national (i.e. GW or MLK) or state (i.e. Travis or Houston or Lamar) leaders. Do we have Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson statues or buildings? If so, replace them with people who contributed to the school, state, or country, personally flawed or not.

Pipe dream, I know. 

Mind boggling.  That’s the term you are looking for.  Nobody is bottling minds. 

You probably want French benefits at your job, too.  

• Fuck You 28

On 6/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, JerryHubbard said:

I don’t see how this ends well.

Admin and CDC view this as a discussion/negotiation. The players view it as a list of demands. Not requests or suggestions.

Any attempt to barter or seek compromise will be viewed as a continuation of the unacceptable status quo.

Or are the players using this as a starting point in negotiations?

On 6/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, Goodman said:

Agreed, happens when one side of a conflict is leaderless. 

When this list was posted Rod Babers had a great observation. Said it could be healthy if the coaches had a heads up. If the players did not have enough respect to give the staff a heads up it was a very bad sign...

Think its a generational thing.  First stop is twitter.  Talking to actual human beings is much later in the process.

And to some extent its maturity.  As people get older, they are more likely to learn you shouldn't lob grenades before a discussion.

23 hours ago, Veerbone said:

My thoughts as well.

Add to that the “saggin pants” trend.  Ties back to the slavery days and was a message that an unruly slave had been “broken”.   “Broken” slaves had been sodomized by the plantation owner or associates as punishment for their aggressive misdeeds.

Reasoning via  analogies that should hit home may not have any effect though, we are talking about 18-21 year olds on a mission.   At that age I fought as hard for a lot less & was often blind and deaf to any opinion other than my own.

I remember having vigorous polite discussions with people who had different points of view when I was at UT.  Of course that was almost 40 years ago.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

You’re terrible at this, in case that hasn’t set in. Relax and stick your toes in the water first. Things might go much better 

I fully support what the players are doing. 

However, I can't imagine seeing another African American player on TV ever thanking Jesus again.

The Old and New Testaments both give a full endorsement of slavery. Ephesians 6 even says slaves should be as obedient to their masters as they are to Christ. Disgusting. 

The entire practice of slavery in the United States rested on a Biblical justification. This is inarguable. 

It is time for African Americans to 100% abandon Christianity. If they don't, they are hypocrites. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 7

25 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

However, I can't imagine seeing another African American player on TV ever thanking Jesus again.

The Old and New Testaments both give a full endorsement of slavery. Ephesians 6 even says slaves should be as obedient to their masters as they are to Christ. Disgusting. 

The entire practice of slavery in the United States rested on a Biblical justification. This is inarguable. 

It is time for African Americans to 100% abandon Christianity. If they don't, they are hypocrites. 

Show us on the doll where the black players touched you 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Yeah let's not do this. This is just going to lead to a real long discussion about which religion sucks more and that is not anything we want on the football board.

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

What did Christ say about slaves?  How did Christ treat the oppressed?  Much more interested in that than a man’s interpretation of God or what a religion ought to be, or a poster’s interpretation of what Moses and Paul were saying - when that poster likely has an agenda. Perhaps black Christians follow Christ’s message. 

What did Christ say about slaves?

Multiple times, Jesus gives his full endorsement of the Torah (the 5 books of Moses, the Old Testament) that fully allows for slavery.

Also, Jesus tells parables about slaves, showing he is aware and accepting of the practice. 

Also, Paul, who had an interaction with the resurrected Christ, and who many regard as the most important apostle, gave his full endorsement of slavery. Check the verse in my initial post.

I didn't make this argument to be hyperbolic or to be deliberately proactive. All 3 major Abrahamic faiths endorse slavery. Why is this being ignored during this great societal purge?

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

What did Christ say about slaves?

Multiple times, Jesus gives his full endorsement of the Torah (the 5 books of Moses, the Old Testament) that fully allows for slavery.

Also, Jesus tells parables about slaves, showing he is aware and accepting of the practice. 

Also, Paul, who had an interaction with the resurrected Christ, and who many regard as the most important apostle, gave his full endorsement of slavery. Check the verse in my initial post.

I didn't make this argument to be hyperbolic or to be deliberately proactive. All 3 major Abrahamic faiths endorse slavery. Why is this being ignored during this great societal purge?

I can't decide what's more egregious: your prooftexting on the level of American slave-holders, or your choice of threads for starting this ridiculous argument.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

Look at this noob correcting people like he’s been around since Hornfans.com circa y2k!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I can't decide what's more egregious: your prooftexting on the level of American slave-holders, or your choice of threads for starting this ridiculous argument.

People responding to an obvious troll instead of letting it die is the worst.

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Prooftexting means out of context. Nothing I referenced was out of context. You may be upset by the truth of what the Bible says, but the truth is on my side. Why exempt religion from this purge of racist & pro-slavery history? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

People responding to an obvious troll instead of letting it die is the worst.

You're right. Got sucked in before the caffeine hit.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Prooftexting means out of context. Nothing I referenced was out of context. You may be upset by the truth of what the Bible says, but the truth is on my side. Why exempt religion from this purge of racist & pro-slavery history? 

Do you have a background in Hebrew, Greek and Latin?

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

This is probably not the forum for your essential argument to get its proper hearing.

It's a deeper subject, though, than just the surface level foundationalist approach to textual interpretation -- yes, scripture is chock full (Torah, New Testament, and Q'uran) of support for slavery; that's your essential argument, and objectively speaking, it is undeniable.

However, it's worth noting that the first truly universal abolitionist philosophy in Western culture was promulgated by St. Patrick. Frankly, it's what we ought to talk about every March instead of talking about green beer. And as @ImissWallyPryor correctly pointed out, the abolitionist movement in this country was started in Philadelphia during the Revolution by a bunch of Quakers and Congregationalists, very much on the basis of Christian theological arguments.

Christians lag far behind Taoists on the subject, maybe, but the context of this argument is really, really lacking, and while this thread's very existence is anathema to the general purpose of the football board, I say, fuck it, it's 2020, let it slide. I think you've got an interesting argument to make, but don't be surprised if it doesn't get the kind of hearing you think it deserves. And don't be surprised when people you would expect to agree with you don't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This is probably not the forum for your essential argument to get its proper hearing.

It's a deeper subject, though, than just the surface level foundationalist approach to textual interpretation -- yes, scripture is chock full (Torah, New Testament, and Q'uran) of support for slavery; that's your essential argument, and objectively speaking, it is undeniable.

However, it's worth noting that the first truly universal abolitionist philosophy in Western culture was promulgated by St. Patrick. Frankly, it's what we ought to talk about every March instead of talking about green beer. And as @ImissWallyPryor correctly pointed out, the abolitionist movement in this country was started in Philadelphia during the Revolution by a bunch of Quakers and Congregationalists, very much on the basis of Christian theological arguments.

Christians lag far behind Taoists on the subject, maybe, but the context of this argument is really, really lacking, and while this thread's very existence is anathema to the general purpose of the football board, I say, fuck it, it's 2020, let it slide. I think you've got an interesting argument to make, but don't be surprised if it doesn't get the kind of hearing you think it deserves. And don't be surprised when people you would expect to agree with you don't.

I never said it wasn't a nuanced topic. I never said it was clear cut. Here is why I brought religion into this. The overwhelming majority of the young men playing college football claim to be practicing Christians. They often thank God & Jesus in their Twitter posts. As you said, it is undeniable that the literal interpretation of the holy books of all 3 Abrahamic religions give a full endorsement to slavery. The Bible was very often used as a justification for slavery in this country.

I'm fine with honoring every request our student athletes have made. I don't have the sentimentalism many others do, so I am fine with the Teddy R statue, and all of the others, being tossed. I'm fine with ridding ourselves of the names on monuments of any slaveholders...right on up to Washington & Jefferson. I just think it is hypocritical for anyone carrying out any form of activism in these regards to still call themselves a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, JFKFC said:

So much is wrong with this post, but the one thing that does makes sense is that the logical conclusion to the intolerance of speech will lead to intolerance of religion.  People of any faith should be very cautious about endorsing the ongoing cancel culture and intolerance that are being used by social justice movements.

Its interesting that you speak out both against slavery and religion.  Do you believe that slavery is wrong and, if so, why is it wrong?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I just think it is hypocritical for anyone carrying out any form of activism in these regards to still call themselves a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew. 

Here's where you just lost credibility regarding your admission that this is a nuanced topic.

"Christian" or "Muslim" or "Jew" do not mean the same thing as applied to every Christian, Muslim, or Jew. Hell, even the same Christian, Muslim, or Jew can be radically different at different times of their lives. Malcolm X's theology at the time he was gunned down by the Nation of Islam was radically different from when he first started practicing Islam.

Was St. Patrick a hypocrite for advocating an end to slavery, as a Christian? And if so, what does it matter? How does it relate to his advocacy?

Rev. Jerry Falwell and Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. had radically different agendas. Both were Christian leaders.  Were either/both hypocrites for being Christian? And if so... did it really matter?

My own hypothesis is that you have a strain of anti-religiosity that does not admit of the possibility that someone's faith as they practice it could lead them to conclusions different from that faith as you understand it. But given how much disagreement there is between adherents of the same religion(s), I find that position preposterous.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Richter said:

So much is wrong with this post, but the one thing that does makes sense is that the logical conclusion to the intolerance of speech will lead to intolerance of religion.  People of any faith should be very cautious about endorsing the ongoing cancel culture and intolerance that are being used by social justice movements.

Its interesting that you speak out both against slavery and religion.  Do you believe that slavery is wrong and, if so, why is it wrong?

Of course I know slavery is wrong. However, my beliefs aren't the issue. If we are purging society of the racist and bigoted legacy that allowed for the persecution of people of African descent in our country, religion can't be exempted.