Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

Of course I know slavery is wrong. However, my beliefs aren't the issue. If we are purging society of the racist and bigoted legacy that allowed for the persecution of people of African descent in our country, religion can't be exempted.  

I agree that those are consistent thoughts, which is why I am against both - meaning I think religion is logically targeted next and why giving in to a purge mentality as a society is an idiotic first step towards totalitarianism.

But why is slavery wrong?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:30 AM, W0244 Jester said:

Mind boggling.  That’s the term you are looking for.  Nobody is bottling minds. 

You probably want French benefits at your job, too.  

This response is up hauling  irregardless if you are clueless or not. 

21 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I can't imagine seeing another African American player on TV ever thanking Jesus again.

Did no one tell you?  Media is the new god.  Every night and every day, millions of devout religious followers turn on their TV’s, eager to hear/see the Media’s holy News-message.  Do not fear, Media priests will tell you what is right and what is wrong.  Media priests will tell you what is good and what is bad.  Media priests will tell you which thoughts are clean in the sight of the Media and which are unclean.   OBEY  the Media!

For those who doubt the holy Media priests, you will be branded a heretic  (racist, conspiracy theorist).  You could be shunned and possibly ex-communicated from Media’s new world society. 

Heathens!  Harken unto me!  Turn on your TV/phone/radio/internet devices and prostrate yourself before  your god, the Media!   Put no other god before the Media!  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 3

There was a time when the Catholic Church had more power than kings, but I'm not sure they had more power than the Media Church has today.  If the Media Church tells you to rename your building, or change a song, you have to do that.  Or else!

Let's keep it going. 

Obviously, Austin will need to change the city's name.  

"Slavery was a very important issue to Austin, one he called "of great interest" to him.[23] Austin was a periodical slaveowner throughout his life..." -wikipedia

Not much ambiguity there!

And we'll need to change the name of Washington D.C....and hundreds of Washington named bridges, towns, schools, monuments will need to change their names.  Washington Monument will need to be demolished, obviously.

"Washington owned and worked African slaves his entire adult life." -wikipedia  

I think it's safe to say that Amerigo Vespucci, as a titled citizen of Spain in the late 1400, definitely had slaves or  condoned slavery -since thee is no record of him being explicitly against slavery.   

Sorry, America, gonna have to change that name to something else.  No half measures.  

Thus spake Media. 

Edited by Monster
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Look at this noob correcting people like he’s been around since Hornfans.com circa y2k!

I don’t recall whether I had an account on HornFans or not.  In 1995 I ventured into the ESPN college football message boards.  It was a crap show. 

Someone there linked a smaller message board.  Jerome’s Chat.  Mostly soon-to-be Big 12 fans and some UF and FSU fans and a pissed off TCU fan I think.  

Jerome’s Chat was pretty good.  Higher number of females that would actually post pics and one of them would chat up guys via Yahoo Messenger and send audio clips.  She ended up being the board trampoline   An NU fan that taught elementary school.  

Oh, and a West Virginia fan that called herself Daisy Duke. But lived in Florida. 

From there we migrated to Blacque Power, which was run by a CU fan.  Jerome ended up with jealousy issues when one of the female posters snubbed his advances and he got ban hammer happy. 

I can’t keep track of all the sites I’ve had accounts.  Over time, you can get burned out.   GDGD made me batty until they finally let VY just be VY and quit trying to make him fit some Applewhite mold.  Crappy coaching and repetitive posts about crappy coaching over the years can turn me into a lurker.  

All these sites end up getting stale when the team isn’t great.  Add in a pandemic and politics seeking their way in and a bunch of social justice warrior virtue signaling, and it makes it more interesting for a spell, but in the end, if the team loses 4-5 games again this year, we will see the same threads and responses over and over. 

Been seeing it for 25 years.  And heard it in person or on call-in radio shows or read it in letters to the editor before that.  

Some of you didn’t experience Akers and McWilliams.   We didn’t have a message board to discuss Mr. Mary Lou Retton throwing 4 td’s worth of picks to freaking U of H.  We had to sit around at home to gripe about it or discuss it at a bar.  

Sportscenter might have existed then but you had to wait until kickboxing or go-cart racing or Star Shot (skeet shooting) was over. 

Sorry for the trip down Amnesia Lane.  The older posters here will remember.  

You younger types don’t know how good you have it, being able to berate shitty coaching right from your phone keypad to a bunch of other fans. 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I can assure you that you did not have a hornfans account or even lurk there. You’re a traveshamockery. 

Ok there little fella.  

Feel better now?

I don’t recall if I had an account or not.  Don’t care.  You’re probably a millennial that thinks we should get a participation trophy every year.  You probably approve of the five-way tie in the mid-90’s when aggy was on probation.  Tech had to represent the SWC in the Cotton Bowl.  Tech!

Get this thread back on track.   I think we are circling back to “is it a racist song, or is it a racist song because it was performed at a minstrel show”. 

20 pages of that discussion didn’t decide anything.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

13 hours ago, Monster said:

Did no one tell you?  Media is the new god.  Every night and every day, millions of devout religious followers turn on their TV’s, eager to hear/see the Media’s holy News-message.  Do not fear, Media priests will tell you what is right and what is wrong.  Media priests will tell you what is good and what is bad.  Media priests will tell you which thoughts are clean in the sight of the Media and which are unclean.   OBEY  the Media!

For those who doubt the holy Media priests, you will be branded a heretic  (racist, conspiracy theorist).  You could be shunned and possibly ex-communicated from Media’s new world society. 

Heathens!  Harken unto me!  Turn on your TV/phone/radio/internet devices and prostrate yourself before  your god, the Media!   Put no other god before the Media!  

Been watching American Gods?

There was a time when the Catholic Church had more power than kings, but I'm not sure they had more power than the Media Church has today.  If the Media Church tells you to rename your building, or change a song, you have to do that.  Or else!
Let's keep it going. 
Obviously, Austin will need to change the city's name.  
"Slavery was a very important issue to Austin, one he called "of great interest" to him.[23] Austin was a periodical slaveowner throughout his life..." -wikipedia
Not much ambiguity there!
And we'll need to change the name of Washington D.C....and hundreds of Washington named bridges, towns, schools, monuments will need to change their names.  Washington Monument will need to be demolished, obviously.
"Washington owned and worked African slaves his entire adult life." -wikipedia  
I think it's safe to say that Amerigo Vespucci, as a titled citizen of Spain in the late 1400, definitely had slaves or  condoned slavery -since thee is no record of him being explicitly against slavery.   
Sorry, America, gonna have to change that name to something else.  No half measures.  
Thus spake Media. 

Can someone find some literature showing that LBJ and Lady Bird owned slaves so that we can restore Town Lake back to its correct name
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Can someone find some literature showing that LBJ and Lady Bird owned slaves so that we can restore Town Lake back to its correct name

LBJ said plenty of racist things, and he liked to hang dong in front of aides and secretaries. 

• Like 1

Siap... June 19th

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/longhorn-blitz-should-the-eyes-of-texas-stay-or-go/id1279981104?i=1000478607466

Longhorn Blitz Podcast: Should "The Eyes of Texas" stay or go?

The Texas Longhorns are dealing with a lot and the latest edition of the Longhorn Blitz podcast tries to break it down. Rod Babers, Matt Butler and Jeff Howe go into how Tom Herman and Co. are dealing with more positive COVID-19 tests as voluntary on-campus workouts continue. With "The Eyes of Texas" up for debate in terms of its future, Rod leads the discussion as whether it should stay or go.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Been on the chopping blocks long before COVID.  Heard both sides, and I tend to lean in the direction of keeping it.

The SAT can be trained for to an extent but only a statistically insignificant one if you are talking about application of results to evaluation of academic capabilities. It is roughly correlated with an IQ test even though both IQ testers and academic testers go through great lengths to keep the two separate. An expansive utilitarian vocabulary is a reasonable IQ indicator. Advanced abstract math concepts are also an indicator of advanced IQ. Reading comprehension is also an IQ indicator, though in all three cases, mastery of the language used for the testing instructions and the test itself is important. Let's not pretend that because it is imperfect that it isn't also very useful.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Great now we politically motivated professors teaching even more susceptible sheep. What starts here ruins the world.

Oh good. Let's have this discussion on the football board.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

We didn’t have a message board to discuss Mr. Mary Lou Retton throwing 4 td’s worth of picks to freaking U of H.  We had to sit around at home to gripe about it or discuss it at a bar.

The post game call-in shows on radio were good entertainment. Half of the callers’ voices were shot from yelling at the game and would crack as they were venting. I’m sure emotions also played a roll. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Been on the chopping blocks long before COVID.  Heard both sides, and I tend to lean in the direction of keeping it.

The SAT can be trained for to an extent but only a statistically insignificant one if you are talking about application of results to evaluation of academic capabilities. It is roughly correlated with an IQ test even though both IQ testers and academic testers go through great lengths to keep the two separate. An expansive utilitarian vocabulary is a reasonable IQ indicator. Advanced abstract math concepts are also an indicator of advanced IQ. Reading comprehension is also an IQ indicator, though in all three cases, mastery of the language used for the testing instructions and the test itself is important. Let's not pretend that because it is imperfect that it isn't also very useful.

32 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Great now we politically motivated professors teaching even more susceptible sheep. What starts here ruins the world.

Y’all are acting like they’re doing away with it permanently. They’re not requiring them for one year due to Covid. The article says they’ll be reinstated for 2022. 

44 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The post game call-in shows on radio were good entertainment. Half of the callers’ voices were shot from yelling at the game and would crack as they were venting. I’m sure emotions also played a roll

Tootsie, or yeast?

If we are going to resolve this thing peacefully, we need to find a somewhat recent example, preferably in the world of sports, where something ordinary and used for a particular purpose was deemed "racist", caused a bit of an uproar, but upon further examination, the whole thing was a misunderstanding based on misinterpretation by the original "observers".

Anybody got anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

For those who were wanting to hear from Ricky. 

I keep seeing this posted:  “let’s ask Ricky, Vince, and Earl about the song.”

Ricky, God love him, had a dynamite smile and personality when he wanted to, was a physical freak on the field, and just tore up opposing defenses.  Even fans of other teams liked him!  Who couldn’t like Ricky?

I don’t want his opinion on this.   He screwed up big time in the NFL, quit for a year to smoke weed and follow Lenny Kravitz around Europe like some sort of Deadhead, and lost a shot at being one of the all-time great backs in NFL history.  

Will he be sober if we ask his opinion?

Vince has brought the best Longhorn football moment in most of our lifetimes.  It might never be surpassed unless a future Longhorn delivers a baby along the sidelines with one hand while running in the winning score in the national title game with eight seconds left.  

A great scholar on a subject of historical significance he is not.  Evidently not a model employee either considering his work record on campus.  We love Vince for who he used to be on the field.  Don’t put this pressure on him.  

Earl was the freaking man when I was growing up. I was a huge Oilers fan.  And it was because of Earl.  But I worry he has CTE.  He dished out a lot of punishment in the pros, but it came with a cost.  It’s hard seeing him on tv now.  

When Ricky broke the record against aggy, Earl was there next to Tony Dorsett.  Tony looked like he could suit up.  Earl looked worn out. 

When Earl was shown on tv with John David Crow in the last game against aggy, it was even harder to see.  Earl was in a golf cart.  He doesn’t get around well. Crow was 20 years older and still getting around pretty good.  

Pick someone else.  Someone that wasn’t a superstar.  A black football player that didn’t get a pass based on being the best.  Get me a Donovan Forbes or even a James Brown or a Cash brother.  They all had moments (ok, not Forbes), but they weren’t in the same league with the greats mentioned earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 25

5 minutes ago, W0244 Jester said:

Ricky, God love him, had a dynamite smile and personality when he wanted to, was a physical freak on the field, and just tore up opposing defenses.  Even fans of other teams liked him!  Who couldn’t like Ricky?

I don’t want his opinion on this.   He screwed up big time in the NFL, quit for a year to smoke weed and follow Lenny Kravitz around Europe like some sort of Deadhead, and lost a shot at being one of the all-time great backs in NFL history.  

Vince has brought the best Longhorn football moment in most of our lifetimes.  It might never be surpassed unless a future Longhorn delivers a baby along the sidelines with one hand while running in the winning score in the national title game with eight seconds left.  

A great scholar on a subject of historical significance he is not.  Evidently not a model employee either considering his work record on campus.  We love Vince for who he used to be on the field.  Don’t put this pressure on him.  

Earl was the freaking man when I was growing up. I was a huge Oilers fan.  And it was because of Earl.  But I worry he has CTE.  He dished out a lot of punishment in the pros, but it came with a cost.  It’s hard seeing him on tv now.  

When Ricky broke the record against aggy, Earl was there next to Tony Dorsett.  Tony looked like he could suit up.  Earl looked worn out. 

When Earl was shown on tv with John David Crow in the last game against aggy, it was even harder to see.  Earl was in a golf cart.  He doesn’t get around well. Crow was 20 years older and still getting around pretty good.  

Pick someone else.  Someone that wasn’t a superstar.  A black football player that didn’t get a pass based on being the best.  Get me a Donovan Forbes or even a James Brown or a Cash brother.  They all had moments (ok, not Forbes), but they weren’t in the same league with the greats mentioned earlier. 

Really?  Really?  Dude, just STFU.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, W0244 Jester said:

Know which guy I don't want to hear the opinion of?

^

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hope you enjoy Bolivia, douchenozzle

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The post game call-in shows on radio were good entertainment. Half of the callers’ voices were shot from yelling at the game and would crack as they were venting. I’m sure emotions also played a roll. 

That game was on my 21st birthday; played on tape delay in Austin....

2 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

If there is an award for worst opinion posted on the internet, you would have won it with this. My god. You should feel bad for  even pondering this much less posting for others to see.

• Like 1

I was expecting something coherent, possibly entertaining, perhaps leading to a logical point of some sort. I’ll be damned if you aren’t 0 for 3

I, uh.  Wow.

W0244 Jester, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

You fucking suck. Go back to Orangebloods or whatever shithole you came from. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1