Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

I'm just relieved that we've all been given a free pass today to post the stupidest thought we've ever had about UT football.

Here's mine: would Earl have been just as famous if he'd stayed at linebacker? I've always felt stupid for even asking the question. After reading W0224 Jester's post, though, I just feel kinda silly. Because the bar for stupid has been set considerably higher.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

I keep seeing this posted:  “let’s ask Ricky, Vince, and Earl about the song.”

Ricky, God love him, had a dynamite smile and personality when he wanted to, was a physical freak on the field, and just tore up opposing defenses.  Even fans of other teams liked him!  Who couldn’t like Ricky?

I don’t want his opinion on this.   He screwed up big time in the NFL, quit for a year to smoke weed and follow Lenny Kravitz around Europe like some sort of Deadhead, and lost a shot at being one of the all-time great backs in NFL history.  

Will he be sober if we ask his opinion?

Vince has brought the best Longhorn football moment in most of our lifetimes.  It might never be surpassed unless a future Longhorn delivers a baby along the sidelines with one hand while running in the winning score in the national title game with eight seconds left.  

A great scholar on a subject of historical significance he is not.  Evidently not a model employee either considering his work record on campus.  We love Vince for who he used to be on the field.  Don’t put this pressure on him.  

Earl was the freaking man when I was growing up. I was a huge Oilers fan.  And it was because of Earl.  But I worry he has CTE.  He dished out a lot of punishment in the pros, but it came with a cost.  It’s hard seeing him on tv now.  

When Ricky broke the record against aggy, Earl was there next to Tony Dorsett.  Tony looked like he could suit up.  Earl looked worn out. 

When Earl was shown on tv with John David Crow in the last game against aggy, it was even harder to see.  Earl was in a golf cart.  He doesn’t get around well. Crow was 20 years older and still getting around pretty good.  

Pick someone else.  Someone that wasn’t a superstar.  A black football player that didn’t get a pass based on being the best.  Get me a Donovan Forbes or even a James Brown or a Cash brother.  They all had moments (ok, not Forbes), but they weren’t in the same league with the greats mentioned earlier. 

What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

• Like 1

20 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

I keep seeing this posted:  “let’s ask Ricky, Vince, and Earl about the song.”

Ricky, God love him, had a dynamite smile and personality when he wanted to, was a physical freak on the field, and just tore up opposing defenses.  Even fans of other teams liked him!  Who couldn’t like Ricky?

I don’t want his opinion on this.   He screwed up big time in the NFL, quit for a year to smoke weed and follow Lenny Kravitz around Europe like some sort of Deadhead, and lost a shot at being one of the all-time great backs in NFL history.  

Will he be sober if we ask his opinion?

Vince has brought the best Longhorn football moment in most of our lifetimes.  It might never be surpassed unless a future Longhorn delivers a baby along the sidelines with one hand while running in the winning score in the national title game with eight seconds left.  

A great scholar on a subject of historical significance he is not.  Evidently not a model employee either considering his work record on campus.  We love Vince for who he used to be on the field.  Don’t put this pressure on him.  

Earl was the freaking man when I was growing up. I was a huge Oilers fan.  And it was because of Earl.  But I worry he has CTE.  He dished out a lot of punishment in the pros, but it came with a cost.  It’s hard seeing him on tv now.  

When Ricky broke the record against aggy, Earl was there next to Tony Dorsett.  Tony looked like he could suit up.  Earl looked worn out. 

When Earl was shown on tv with John David Crow in the last game against aggy, it was even harder to see.  Earl was in a golf cart.  He doesn’t get around well. Crow was 20 years older and still getting around pretty good.  

Pick someone else.  Someone that wasn’t a superstar.  A black football player that didn’t get a pass based on being the best.  Get me a Donovan Forbes or even a James Brown or a Cash brother.  They all had moments (ok, not Forbes), but they weren’t in the same league with the greats mentioned earlier. 

Guys, I think we've found our next Rocko.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Guys, I think we've found our next Rocko.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

5 minutes before banning his dumb ass.  Sometimes this place does get shit right...

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but he's waaaayyy dumber and dense than Rocko.

On 6/22/2020 at 2:25 PM, Monster said:

Did no one tell you?  Media is the new god.  Every night and every day, millions of devout religious followers turn on their TV’s, eager to hear/see the Media’s holy News-message.  Do not fear, Media priests will tell you what is right and what is wrong.  Media priests will tell you what is good and what is bad.  Media priests will tell you which thoughts are clean in the sight of the Media and which are unclean.   OBEY  the Media!

For those who doubt the holy Media priests, you will be branded a heretic  (racist, conspiracy theorist).  You could be shunned and possibly ex-communicated from Media’s new world society. 

Heathens!  Harken unto me!  Turn on your TV/phone/radio/internet devices and prostrate yourself before  your god, the Media!   Put no other god before the Media!  

50c7e9e8c1b9d.preview-620.jpg?crop=410,4

My grandpa landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He enjoyed it so much he hung around for the Battle of the Bulge. He played the fiddle as a kid but never seemed particularly interested in music in the time I knew him. Never asked him about dildo marches though 

• Like 2

Now that's really dumb.

It’s also a horribly crafted sentence even for Twitter. “And he agrees that if the “Eyes of Texas” should change then it should.” The fuck is that?

My relation agrees that if liquid H20 should change then it should. My grandad agrees that if my powerball losing streak should change then it should.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

My grandpa landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He enjoyed it so much he hung around for the Battle of the Bulge. He played the fiddle as a kid but never seemed particularly interested in music in the time I knew him. Never asked him about dildo marches though 

Everyone has their secrets...

1 hour ago, bullet said:

So a football player from 1969 and 1970 matters more than hundreds of thousands of alumni and 50,000 current students?

Now that's really dumb.

The Eyes are staying & zero dollars will be considered for BLM.   

• Fuck You 1

It's a bit hard to discern the difference between a lot of this thread and the reaction on Texags to the prospective removal of the Sul Ross statue.

a9e4e4a41ecc09781c1243e89ac5c686.gif

Lol. The difference between a largely civilized conversation about what a 117 year old school song means to our university body and the impact it has on current student athletes is “hard to discern” versus a statue of a Confederate man who killed black Americans and a fan base telling their QB1 to “love it or leave it” as they dry hump the air around the statue and shout gibberish.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

a9e4e4a41ecc09781c1243e89ac5c686.gif

Lol. The difference between a largely civilized conversation about what a 117 year old school song means to our university body and the impact it has on current student athletes

Yep look at the nuance and thought put into the post above yours. What a deep conversation about the meaning and impact of the song. It's not the entire thread, but it's littered with low-effort nonsense just like that. It's embarrassing.

Edited by BradInATX

I mean I think we could have a long debate if the history of how the song was written and first performed and the tune "I have been working on the railroad" and the phrase "The Eyes of Texas are upon you" are significant issues. They are all tangential links and not anything face value that one would know just by hearing the song. After all tons of things in our society and culture, along with many societies and cultures throughout the world, have crazy origins with links to things that today would probably not be acceptable. It is not like we were all standing there at DKR telling our team about how glorious white supremacy is, we were just singing a goofy school song about Texas watching us. So I get why some people might disagree that we should no longer sing the song. I don't think that is the same as wanting to cover the campus with Confederate war criminal statues. 

But really it is kind of pointless now. The association has now been made and many of our current students and alumni have said they think it is wrong to sing it and a school song is supposed to be this thing we can all sing together in a moment of unity, Having a significant portion of our team or fanbase refuse to sing it for moral reasons is a serious problem so I think it is best to just quietly stop singing it. Not to mention now the national media and our rival schools are all now aware of it. It seems hard for me to believe somebody could write a new Alma Mater that would actually make everybody happy, and even writing songs like that is kind of old fashioned and odd, but if it can be done I guess we can get a new one.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I realized there’s about 6 months until Christmas and Santa is white.   Let that settle in guys.  Buckle up baby 

Does Santa have a statue?  I’m guessing we won’t be dreaming of a white Christmas.  Maybe we should start focusing on the things that won’t change.  Seems like a shorter list.  

Edited by stork642

https://goducks.com/news/2020/6/26/general-uo-osu-series-no-longer-to-reference-civil-war.aspx

UO-OSU SERIES NO LONGER TO REFERENCE 'CIVIL WAR'

The University of Oregon and Oregon State University Departments of Athletics have mutually agreed to no longer refer to Oregon-Oregon State rivalry games as the "Civil War." This decision is effective immediately and includes all athletic competitions in the 2020-21 academic year and in the years ahead.

The schools made the decision following mutual discussions as well as conversations with university officials and input from current and former student-athletes from both schools.

"Today's announcement is not only right but is a long time coming, and I wish to thank former Duck great Dennis Dixon for raising the question and being the catalyst for change," said Oregon Director of Athletics Rob Mullens. "Thanks also to our current student-athletes for their leadership and input during this process. We must all recognize the power of words and the symbolism associated with the Civil War. This mutual decision is in the best interests of both schools, and I would like to thank Scott Barnes for his diligence as we worked through this process. We look forward to our continued and fierce in-state rivalry with Oregon State in all sports."

"I want to acknowledge and thank the current and former student-athletes who raised concerns about the historic name of the rivalry games played between our two institutions," UO President Michael H. Schill said. "We need to make this change to align the words and symbols we use around athletic endeavors with our shared campus values of equity and inclusivity. While the name of our annual game might change, it will absolutely continue to be one of the great rivalries in college sports."

The football series between Oregon State and Oregon continues with the 124th annual game on Nov. 28 at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, ranking this rivalry fifth in college football for the most games played in the series. The Oregon-Oregon State series holds the collegiate record for the most men's basketball games played with 354.

Bwahaha.  Amazing it lasted this long.  A civil war is definitely worse than shootout.

Also, how thoughtless of people to refer to the conflict in Syria as a civil war.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Columbia SPORTSWEAR (not the Spanish Explorer of Genoan birth) Oregon (the state not the University of Oregon as both UofO OSU are represented equally in this sporting competition) Bowl (as in bowl shaped stadia which has no relation to swirlies or the bullies who dispense them in commodes) - Presented by Nike SPORTSWEAR (not the Greek deity of victory in battle personified)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

If the alma mater is indeed to symbolize unity, then we should not even attempt to write a new one. The act of removing The Eyes is in itself so divisive that I don’t see how any subsequent song wouldn’t be tainted with that shadow hanging over it. 

Good point. I do not disagree.

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

If the alma mater is indeed to symbolize unity, then we should not even attempt to write a new one. The act of removing The Eyes is in itself so divisive that I don’t see how any subsequent song wouldn’t be tainted with that shadow hanging over it. 

lulz

It's not as divisive as the histrionics on the internet make it seem. That applies to this as much as everything else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

It's not as divisive as the histrionics on the internet make it seem. That applies to this as much as everything else.

You talking about the song?  Or removing the song?

On 6/26/2020 at 2:23 PM, MillerEP said:

https://goducks.com/news/2020/6/26/general-uo-osu-series-no-longer-to-reference-civil-war.aspx

UO-OSU SERIES NO LONGER TO REFERENCE 'CIVIL WAR'

The University of Oregon and Oregon State University Departments of Athletics have mutually agreed to no longer refer to Oregon-Oregon State rivalry games as the "Civil War." This decision is effective immediately and includes all athletic competitions in the 2020-21 academic year and in the years ahead.

The schools made the decision following mutual discussions as well as conversations with university officials and input from current and former student-athletes from both schools.

"Today's announcement is not only right but is a long time coming, and I wish to thank former Duck great Dennis Dixon for raising the question and being the catalyst for change," said Oregon Director of Athletics Rob Mullens. "Thanks also to our current student-athletes for their leadership and input during this process. We must all recognize the power of words and the symbolism associated with the Civil War. This mutual decision is in the best interests of both schools, and I would like to thank Scott Barnes for his diligence as we worked through this process. We look forward to our continued and fierce in-state rivalry with Oregon State in all sports."

"I want to acknowledge and thank the current and former student-athletes who raised concerns about the historic name of the rivalry games played between our two institutions," UO President Michael H. Schill said. "We need to make this change to align the words and symbols we use around athletic endeavors with our shared campus values of equity and inclusivity. While the name of our annual game might change, it will absolutely continue to be one of the great rivalries in college sports."

The football series between Oregon State and Oregon continues with the 124th annual game on Nov. 28 at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, ranking this rivalry fifth in college football for the most games played in the series. The Oregon-Oregon State series holds the collegiate record for the most men's basketball games played with 354.

This is silly. The term “civil war” refers to any intrastate armed conflict. America is not the only nation in the history of mankind to witness such a phenomenon.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

I realized there’s about 6 months until Christmas and Santa is white.   Let that settle in guys.  Buckle up baby 

Now imagine if we went out and told everyone what color Jesus really was.

• Like 1

This is silly. The term “civil war” refers to any intrastate armed conflict. America is not the only nation in the history of mankind to witness such a phenomenon.
Glad i'm not the only one thinking this. At this point people are just looking for things to be offended by and those in charge of changing or keeping such things are bending over backwards to pander.

Just to be clear, i dont give a flying fuck what Nike U and the Beevs call their game, just sayin..
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 7:33 PM, mr. sunshine said:

We need more dildo marches

Edited by Alex Karev

On 6/26/2020 at 1:19 PM, Huckleberry said:

lulz

You say that, but you never see a poll saying people overwhelmingly or even a simple majority want a song/flag/statue deleted.