Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

On 6/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, Valmy77 said:

It seems hard for me to believe somebody could write a new Alma Mater that would actually make everybody happy, and even writing songs like that is kind of old fashioned and odd, but if it can be done I guess we can get a new one.

IMO the best suggestion in this thread, if a change must be made, is to change the current lyrics to The Eyes of Texas are upon Us, showing consideration of past wrongs, willingness to change, and inclusiveness of all Texas alums.

21 hours ago, ousux said:

Glad i'm not the only one thinking this. At this point people are just looking for things to be offended by and those in charge of changing or keeping such things are bending over backwards to pander.

Just to be clear, i dont give a flying fuck what Nike U and the Beevs call their game, just sayin..

I miss the good old days when rivalry games had to be renamed over being offended by guns.

Simpler times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

IMO the best suggestion in this thread, if a change must be made, is to change the current lyrics to The Eyes of Texas are upon Us, showing consideration of past wrongs, willingness to change, and inclusiveness of all Texas alums.

If only the meaning of You was intended to be something offensive. 

The brothers Eberts vs. Scipio Tex. lol

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/6/26/21304202/eyes-of-texas-longhorns-alma-mater-rebuttal

For some strange reason, Wescott decided that publicly rebutting a Scipio op-ed from a week ago (that you may or may not have read - it's not linked nor substantially quoted in the rebuttal) was important to advancing the conversation. 

9 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Yes....true Rebels, they are, especially when they don their deconstructed Confederate Battle Flag uniforms every Saturday

I'm sure they can take on the uniforms next. Just to piss you off. 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:07 PM, Mileslong said:

I guess we change every school’s song to We Are the World. Although I haven’t checked out the chord progression in that song to see if it’s racist or not...

That song was brought to us by a pedophile. So, no. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

We are becoming the Eloi.  The time has come for Rod Taylor to drop in from New Year's Eve, 1899 and blow up the Morlocks.

IMG_3982.JPG

Remember that stupid scene in the movie where they have the nuclear attack and city is overrun by...lava? 

We might just be done with college football:

1869, first collegiate football game.  Princeton v. Rutgers.  Neither school had a black student admitted to their respective institution.

Wish I hadn't found that.

Edited by SaucyJack

This might be a bad time to point out that Jackie Robinson was not actually the first black player in Major League Baseball. We should stick to just killing one sport at a time, after all. But I can't help myself. 

If Moses Fleetwood Walker can't get a fair hearing, why should anyone else?

14 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So Wescott knew he was far too stupid to rebut scipio so he hired his brother to do it? Oh and his brother's rebuttal was just verbal diarrhea with a lot of words.

Yeah but WELL ACKSHUALLY did you knowAmerica stole Texas from Mexico???

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 12:12 PM, bullet said:

No.  We stole it from the Apaches and Comanches.  

who stole it from the Osages, Utes, and other less capable tribes.

Really, those Commanche had great technological aptitude they way they crept in at night and by morning all the earth and water was gone. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 11:54 PM, NorthLoop said:

So Wescott knew he was far too stupid to rebut scipio so he hired his brother to do it? Oh and his brother's rebuttal was just verbal diarrhea with a lot of words.

That beta cuck has been noticeably absent from BON recently. He's had his ass lit up repeatedly by a sizable amount of the BON community because he had been race baiting and click baiting for weeks. The backlash wasn't pretty, it was pathetic he had his brother who is an alum of UW write up one of the sorriest articles I've had the displeasure of reading in some time.

This seems like a reasonable compromise, I'm just not sure how well kneeling to sing The Eyes in the concrete/aluminum stands will work.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brian-jones-texas-football-can-repurpose-the-eyes-of-texas-into-an-anthem-of-accountability/

Good article....the following nit-pics notwithstanding:

The “performed in the ‘30’s by leering actors in blackface” seems to be an amalgamation of events...but nevertheless, he essentially says “move on.”

Secondly, it’s not a dang “fight song.”

Thirdly and most substantively, the “transformation” he calls for is actually (at least to my half-century of understanding) is exactly what the song has been for practically its entire history: about accountability of all associated with UT, and not about athletic opponents.

In any event....hopefully (at least to me) his opinion carries some weight.

42 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Isn't kneeling a sign of subjugation by one's master?

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Isn't kneeling a sign of subjugation by one's master?

Slavery supporters are the new “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon”.

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Good article....the following nit-pics notwithstanding:

The “performed in the ‘30’s by leering actors in blackface” seems to be an amalgamation of events...but nevertheless, he essentially says “move on.”

Secondly, it’s not a dang “fight song.”

Thirdly and most substantively, the “transformation” he calls for is actually (at least to my half-century of understanding) is exactly what the song has been for practically its entire history: about accountability of all associated with UT, and not about athletic opponents.

In any event....hopefully (at least to me) his opinion carries some weight.

Yeah, I noted those as well, but the overall tone was so positive I took the "forget it, he's rolling" approach.  

The point about the meaning of The Eyes of Texas being upon you and not being able to get away is an important one.  Like BJ, I didn't know the history, and always assumed that the meaning was that as a student/alum of UT you had an obligation and responsibility to uphold the values of the University and the State by being a good citizen and representative.  That would include, among other things, not being a racist POS.  I hope other former players come around to this point of view.

Edited by Duane Moore

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

This seems like a reasonable compromise, I'm just not sure how well kneeling to sing The Eyes in the concrete/aluminum stands will work.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brian-jones-texas-football-can-repurpose-the-eyes-of-texas-into-an-anthem-of-accountability/

Be cool if BJ intended a subtle subliminal  message tied to a certain aggy in the following sentence: 

That offensive historic note certainly sullies the song, and I was ready to jettison it as well.”

Edited by 89Horn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is not very good, but the possibility was raised previously by another poster that we could keep the song and its attendant routines, the way the band plays it, etc. but change the words. 
The eyes of Texas are upon us
All the live long day
Let liberty hold sway
Know that Texas stands for freedom
Toward bigotry holds scorn
Till Gabriel blows his horn

11 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

This is not very good, but the possibility was raised previously by another poster that we could keep the song and its attendant routines, the way the band plays it, etc. but change the words. 
All the live long day
Let liberty hold sway
Know that Texas stands for freedom
Toward bigotry holds scorn
Till Gabriel blows his horn

spacer.png

• Like 2